• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HAMMER
    I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
    • Jul 2003

It's all right under their nose....

If Schwartz wants the job and I'm in charge, it's his. But I'm not in charge. Peppers moves to DC and I bring in the best OC that will come to B-Lo. It seems he has the backing of his squad and he has plenty of experience. I love his fire and you don't become a Georgetown alumnus unless you are very bright, or on a basketball scholarship. Don't over think it Whaley and Mr. Pegula, just do it and let's move forward.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: It's all right under their nose....

I'm not real sure why everyone thinks Schwartz is such an easy answer. He had Stafford, Megatron, Suh, Fairley, Avril, and managed one winning season in 5 with a cranky poorly disciplined underachieving team using his handpicked staff. Caldwell is a mediocre coach who just went 11-5 with essentially the same team Schwartz went 7-9 with.

I'm not saying the guy has no prayer but look at some realities here.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      I'm not real sure why everyone thinks Schwartz is such an easy answer. He had Stafford, Megatron, Suh, Fairley, Avril, and managed one winning season in 5 with a cranky poorly disciplined underachieving team using his handpicked staff. Caldwell is a mediocre coach who just went 11-5 with essentially the same team Schwartz went 7-9 with.

That's the big question then... can he find an OC worth giving the keys to that will get more out of what we have than Marrone and Hackett did. The poorly disciplined thing is worth noting too... I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't a more cavalier approach from some of our defensive players this past year, to be honest. Testament to the quality of their character I guess. Either that or Schwartz really learned from the Detroit experience (and seeing how he had his players carry him off the field I'm not sure that's the case). I'm not as high on him as others but I definitely think we could do worse given the year he just had. I'd be lying if I said there weren't some concerns though.

Comment

• pmoon6
        Legendary Zoner
        • Dec 2002

5 of those losses were by 3 points or less. One by four points. Is that the HCs' fault or maybe the fickle lady of fate?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

To be fair and play both sides of the argument, Schwartz inherited an 0-16 Rod Marinelli team and got them to the playoffs in 3 seasons. He and the team did underachieve after that though, no argument there.

Comment

• Mace
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
            5 of those losses were by 3 points or less. One by four points. Is that the HCs' fault or maybe the fickle lady of fate?
            Well, I thought it was the mark of a consistently underachieving team, myself. The Detroit fans were glad to get rid of him even.

Again, it's not to say Schwartz has no prayer of being a good HC, but he's not Super Jim the Messiah. Damn good coordinator doesn't make him automatically a good HC.

Comment

• pmoon6
              Legendary Zoner
              • Dec 2002

Well, I thought it was the mark of a consistently underachieving team, myself. The Detroit fans were glad to get rid of him even.

Again, it's not to say Schwartz has no prayer of being a good HC, but he's not Super Jim the Messiah. Damn good coordinator doesn't make him automatically a good HC.
              No, it doesn't make him a good HC, but I wouldn't listen to Detroit Fans. They are even more jaded than Bills fans.......and dumber......if that's possible.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                No, it doesn't make him a good HC, but I wouldn't listen to Detroit Fans. They are even more jaded than Bills fans.......and dumber......if that's possible.
                The SB nation satellites for each team all give you pretty good insights and thoughts though as a rule, from people up close and invested. I mean the articles not the comments.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I'm starting to get the feeling this could be the end result. "We explored every possible option, and the best guy for the job was right here already".
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Spartacus
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I'm starting to get the feeling this could be the end result. "We explored every possible option, and the best guy for the job was right here already".
                    It's the obvious thing to do from so many angles.

Are we saying that Schwart2 is the messiah? Of course not.

But, if like me, you don't want to see the team blown up and risk what we already have, it's a no-brainer. There will be good will all around, and a positive attitude toward next year.

And it'll give the Pegulas a couple of years to get their feet wet.

Now, I'm open to other ideas, but none that I've heard so far makes as much sense as this.
                    My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I agree.

And the irony exists on two levels for me:

1. The team is this time, conducting a true "exhaustive search", as opposed to Brandon's gerrymandering of Marrone.

2. You know it's what Ralph Wilson would have done. Promote the next guy in line.

Too funny.

Comment

• Strongman
                        • Apr 2006

I have to believe the Pegulas have spent more money so far in this HC search than Ralph Wilson did for his last 5 HC searches combined.

Comment

• HAMMER
                          I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                          I have to believe the Pegulas have spent more money so far in this HC search than Ralph Wilson did for his last 5 HC searches combined.
                          Only because they spent the money on Jet fuel, Ralph drove candidates around in his Taurus.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Anyone think that Schwartz will be made the HC if he says he will keep Hackett as his OC?
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• colin
                              Drew's my hero!
                              • Jul 2002

what schwartz did with plugging in guys as starters went down, and cleaning up issues (pass d, allowing qb's to make a lot of plays, and our terrible run d of last year) on the fly makes me think he knows how to coach. i think a second shot at HC will do him well.

we just need a qb and a bit of help on G. i like whaley too -- he's made a lot of small moves that built up our roster.

if we get a qb (and that's the issue, not the coach as much), say trading for Kap, and fix our OL, and get one guy who can actually play TE, our roster right now is pretty legit. 12 win type roster (with a qb).

Comment

Working...
                              X