PDA

View Full Version : Sully's Rip Article Came Out --- on the Pegulas

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2015, 07:36 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/pegulas-are-learning-the-hard-way-20150104

Can't say I don't agree the main point - the Pegulas acted too slow or put too much faith in Polian. Maybe they didn't want to be a distraction in the regular season by getting a consultant publicly. But there are ways around it.

Unlike Sully, I think there is another way which is empowering Whaley to do all. That looks like more or less the case now but they could've come out made it decisively so from the moment Marrone submitted his out option.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Sully's definition of a honeymoon isn't much longer than a few around here.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Just another one of his self back patting articles.

Novacane
01-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Sullivan is a phony. He has the nerve to say Pegula should of given in to Marrone on the extension? He ripped Marrone all year!

coastal
01-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Completely agree with Sully.

maybe he's sobered up or something, but this is a great piece.

DynaPaul
01-04-2015, 07:49 AM
He could at least give Kim and Terry a week to get things in order before ripping them. We just started the NFL playoffs which makes interviewing the best coaches a little complicated and I don't think anyone really thought Phoney Marroney would follow through on his threat.

SpikedLemonade
01-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Hard not to agree with this part...

This might have been avoided if Pegula hadn’t dragged his feet on bringing in an outside football man to evaluate the organization. He didn’t wait as long as he did with the Sabres, when he blindly swore allegiance to a failed general manager and paid dearly for it. But he still waited too long.

The sharks move more swiftly in the NFL. You have to strike when the opportunity is there. There was a report that Pegula was interested in hiring a football czar in mid-October. Ernie Accorsi, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren were mentioned. I proposed Polian back in September.

Pegula wanted to wait until the end of the regular season. He knew that Polian wasn’t ready, that he didn’t want to jeopardize his Hall of Fame chances by chasing another job. Waiting on Polian cost Pegula precious time. He should have gone hard after one of the other candidates instead.

So the Bears hired Accorsi after firing their general manager and coach. The Jets hired two consultants – Wolf and Charley Casserly – after whacking their coach and GM. Do you suppose that Jets owner Woody Johnson brought in both of those men because he knew his AFC rival was also looking for a czar?

The minute the ink was dry on the sale in October, Pegula should have hired his czar....

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Sully's definition of a honeymoon isn't much longer than a few around here.That's because Jerry Sullivans' wife left him for the valet on their wedding night.

Explains everything.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 08:04 AM

This might have been avoided if Pegula hadn’t dragged his feet on bringing in an outside football man to evaluate the organization. He didn’t wait as long as he did with the Sabres, when he blindly swore allegiance to a failed general manager and paid dearly for it. But he still waited too long.

The sharks move more swiftly in the NFL. You have to strike when the opportunity is there. There was a report that Pegula was interested in hiring a football czar in mid-October. Ernie Accorsi, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren were mentioned. I proposed Polian back in September.

Pegula wanted to wait until the end of the regular season. He knew that Polian wasn’t ready, that he didn’t want to jeopardize his Hall of Fame chances by chasing another job. Waiting on Polian cost Pegula precious time. He should have gone hard after one of the other candidates instead.

So the Bears hired Accorsi after firing their general manager and coach. The Jets hired two consultants – Wolf and Charley Casserly – after whacking their coach and GM. Do you suppose that Jets owner Woody Johnson brought in both of those men because he knew his AFC rival was also looking for a czar?

The minute the ink was dry on the sale in October, Pegula should have hired his czar....How long before you start wishing the Pegulas die in an air crash?

SpikedLemonade
01-04-2015, 08:06 AM
How long before you start wishing the Pegulas die in an air crash?

Huh?

I wish them nothing but the best.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Huh?

I wish them nothing but the best.So, I guess that means you'll give them the entire off season.

You must be like a pig in ****, Ralph actually did pass away.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 08:09 AM
lol..."It was my brilliant idea to go after Polian, Pegula is a dumbass for listening to me."

Well, two of three mentioned above are dumbasses, and one of them isn't named Terry.

EricStratton
01-04-2015, 10:30 AM
He suggested the hiring of Polian in September but the sale wasn't final until October.

How was that supposed to work.

This whole Football Czar thing makes me scratch my head. NFL teams have worked for years without hiring outside consultants and done it very well, why the push to do it now.

Also listening to the radio in jersey it seems like the Jets two guys are screwing things up trying to get interviews for people they are connected to more then helping at this point. Mike Lupica ran through the connections for the guys they alba e suggested yesterday and it's a mess.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 10:46 AM
He suggested the hiring of Polian in September but the sale wasn't final until October.

This whole Football Czar thing makes me scratch my head. NFL teams have worked for years without hiring outside consultants and done it very well, why the push to do it now.

Also listening to the radio in jersey it seems like the Jets two guys are screwing things up trying to get interviews for people they are connected to more then helping at this point. Mike Lupica ran through the connections for the guys they alba e suggested yesterday and it's a mess.Too true. You have to remember the NFL is now covered to astronomical proportions. It eclipses even world events. Most people don't know that the Ukraine was part of the old Soviet Union, but they can tell you the backup running back on the Dallas Cowboys.

Therefore, it's picked apart and over analyzed by little pencil neck geeks with a journalism degree.

I think the football "czar" thingie was important for Pegula to ease his transition to the NFL. Of course, all you need is a really good GM, which we may have in Whalley. Hiring Polian would have been hedging their bets because of lack of confidence.

cookie G
01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Completely agree with Sully.

maybe he's sobered up or something, but this is a great piece.

I think he's still pretty drunk.

I saw this yesterday on another site when I was trolling for coaching search news.

The guy just screams tool.

Sammy Watkins makes a tweet yesterday:

@sammywatkins: Trying to see what activities I'm doing today city so boring ������

Drunken sports writer responds with his own two cents:

@TBNSully: Maybe Sammy Watkins could actually try to discover some of the culture that Buffalo has to offer.

Young rookie with enormous upside gently reminds drunken sports writer:

Sammy Watkins ‏@sammywatkins 46s46 seconds ago

To all you clueless page stalkers who have clearly nothing else to do but watch my tweets I'm not in BUFFALO wasn't referring to BUFF

Score one for the young rookie!

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 11:00 AM

I saw this yesterday on another site when I was trolling for coaching search news.

@sammywatkins: Trying to see what activities I'm doing today city so boring ������

@TBNSully: Maybe Sammy Watkins could actually try to discover some of the culture that Buffalo has to offer.

To all you clueless page stalkers who have clearly nothing else to do but watch my tweets I'm not in BUFFALO wasn't referring to BUFF

Score one for the young rookie!Sullivan may be drunk, but that just masks the underlying problem.

He has always had a pea sized brain.

The Jokeman
01-04-2015, 11:01 AM

The minute the ink was dry on the sale in October, Pegula should have hired his czar....

Maybe Pegula's czar all the time has been Polian but because he was under contract with ESPN he couldn't get him.

coastal
01-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Score one for the young rookie!
Now that's funny

Skooby
01-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Sully has a point about timing but there's nothing to say that Polian was a good fit or the Pegula's shouldn't wait for a better fit for head coach. I think Oregon's head coach would do wonders for the Bills if given the proper staff, his team actually wins in college at the highest levels, unlike Doug's Orangeboys (who I always liked but suck).

black N yellow
01-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Hmm...Who has a bigger need of a punch in the back of the head. Sullivan or Brandon?

BuffaloRedleg
01-04-2015, 12:19 PM
I like reading Sully be he is the king of shoulda, coulda and woulda.

His job is telling people what they should have done, not what they should do. It's not a very useful job and it can't be very fulfilling.

DesertFox24
01-04-2015, 12:25 PM
When was the last time hiring a football czar has worked for an organization.

Honestly I think this great news and we should just roll with doug Whaley and the new hc.

I also like the fact that the GM and the hc will report directly to the pegulas instead of the hc reporting to the gm. I think this will be good for accountability.

Let the media rip the team apart. Until the new coaching staff is assembled free agency and the draft has concluded we have no idea what this team will look like.

notacon
01-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Sully hit the nail directly on the head.

The Pegula's look like fools and are WAAAAAYYYYY over their heads.

This smacks of a few more years of floundering while the Pegla's learn the ropes....if they ever do.

notacon
01-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Also listening to the radio in jersey it seems like the Jets two guys are screwing things up trying to get interviews for people they are connected to more then helping at this point. Mike Lupica ran through the connections for the guys they alba e suggested yesterday and it's a mess.

Easy. The Pegula's knew they were going to win the bidding. The "final" in October was simply the other owners voting on the sale, which was a foregone conclusion.

Polian would have given him much needed advice on how to proceed and what pitfalls are in the NFL that do not exist is the NHL. As it is, Peglua's record as a NHL owner sucks big time too. Hiring someone like Polian early on would have been a very astute move by an inexperienced new owner.

Sully has nailed the reality of the situation. The NFL is BIG TIME, and Pegula looks like he's still on training wheels which does not bode well for the Bills.

EricStratton
01-04-2015, 12:41 PM
What NFL teams have a football Czar overseeing the operations?

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 12:52 PM
When was the last time hiring a football czar has worked for an organization.

Never.

Czars suck, which is why they belong in Russia and not America.

I can't even stand the use of the word.

Czars don't belong in the American lexicon.

Mace
01-04-2015, 12:55 PM
lol..."It was my brilliant idea to go after Polian, Pegula is a dumbass for listening to me."

Well, two of three mentioned above are dumbasses, and one of them isn't named Terry.

That's kind of the funny part which seems lost on him. He trumpets something then gets upset when it doesn't work about 3 times a year without even noticing he's on both sides of it.

Could have been an even better piece written objectively.

stuckincincy
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Never.

And the correct spelling is Tsar. Those that dub a Czar (like our Federal government) don't like that, because it connotes the truth - a despot.

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 01:00 PM

"Czar," is a word derived from, "Caesar."

That alone spells disaster, and reminds me of the fall of Rome.

We hear the word, "czar," more often now in America, and that's not a good thing.

Sooner than later the term, "Head Coach," will be replaced with, "Head Comrade."

Mace
01-04-2015, 01:03 PM

Well, there's sort of a difference though between having a permanent one, and having one as consultant. Chicago and Jets are using consultants.

For all intents and purposes, I figure the term Czar in this case reflects "experienced knowledgable guiding force" that is currently lacking in Brandon, Whaley, and the new-to-the-game Pegulas.

You can say Belichick is a Czar, Parcells was, Sean Payton, Chip Kelly evidently, AJ Smith was, Ozzie Newsome is, Joe Banner was....for better or worse, organizational driving forces.

We tried the groupthink method once with Jauron/Modrak/Guy and it became the three stooges.

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Sully sounds like Alex Jones stoking the flames of fear and despair.

Gloom and doomer. The world's about to end anytime now. Fear sells. The sky is falling at OBD.

"One week after the end of the regular season, there’s blood in the water and the Pegulas are in over their heads. There’s utter chaos at One Bills Drive and no telling what they’ll do to repair the damage."

EricStratton
01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Well, there's sort of a difference though between having a permanent one, and having one as consultant. Chicago and Jets are using consultants.

For all intents and purposes, I figure the term Czar in this case reflects "experienced knowledgable guiding force" that is currently lacking in Brandon, Whaley, and the new-to-the-game Pegulas.

You can say Belichick is a Czar, Parcells was, Sean Payton, Chip Kelly evidently, AJ Smith was, Ozzie Newsome is, Joe Banner was....for better or worse, organizational driving forces.

We tried the groupthink method once with Jauron/Modrak/Guy and it became the three stooges.

Having one coach or one GM who calls the shots is a positive and not what I was getting at. The Jets hired a consultant and came up with their last failed GM, now they have hired two and it appears to be a cluster ****. The Bears have a consultant and they are no closer then us, San Fran or Atlanta to making a choice.

These guys (Polien, Accorsi, Wolf) are out of football for a reason.

notacon
01-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Never.

Oh dear. You have no idea what the word "czar" means in the US, do you??

Of course, you are wrong. As wrong as one can be.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 01:49 PM
"Czar," is a word derived from, "Caesar."

That alone spells disaster, and reminds me of the fall of Rome.

We hear the word, "czar," more often now in America, and that's not a good thing.

Sooner than later the term, "Head Coach," will be replaced with, "Head Comrade."HaHaHa. Yeah. Too bad Rome ruled the world for 400 years before it fell. Pretty good dynasty, even better than the '70's Stealers and the '80's 49ers.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Never.

Czars don't belong in the American lexicon.They don't belong in the Russian lexicon either. The last Tsar went bye-bye in 1917.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm also not surprised Nutty loves Sullivan. They probably get together weekly and talk about the schools they didn't graduate from and how cramped it was on the short bus.

Mace
01-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Having one coach or one GM who calls the shots is a positive and not what I was getting at. The Jets hired a consultant and came up with their last failed GM, now they have hired two and it appears to be a cluster ****. The Bears have a consultant and they are no closer then us, San Fran or Atlanta to making a choice.

These guys (Polien, Accorsi, Wolf) are out of football for a reason.

Well, I understand your point, but I'm not sure you realize the top two of the bunch, Wolf (Packers) and Accorsi (Giants) retired, while their teams were successful. They didn't want to be GM's anymore. Casserly also left voluntarily (Texans).

Jets are actually looking at real good GM candidates and doing due diligence. Can't say it's a cluster**** until they hire Marrone.

Accorsi previously consulted for Carolina and Wolf for the Chargers their last changes.

They aren't out of football though, they work as consultants on purpose in their retirement.

Night Train
01-04-2015, 04:05 PM
These guys (Polian, Accorsi, Wolf) are out of football for a reason.

The game they are familiar with no longer exists.

Mace
01-04-2015, 04:19 PM
The game they are familiar with no longer exists.

Well like I said, they haven't been out of the sport for a decade. Accorsi consulted for the Panthers in 2012, and Wolf for the Chargers in 2012 helping with those teams present organizations.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 04:47 PM
HaHaHa. Yeah. Too bad Rome ruled the world for 400 years before it fell. Pretty good dynasty, even better than the '70's Stealers and the '80's 49ers.

I see what you did there...

notacon
01-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm also not surprised Nutty loves Sullivan. They probably get together weekly and talk about the schools they didn't graduate from and how cramped it was on the short bus.

What...are you stalking me again?!? You really have to get life, buddy.

Anyway, I do not know Sullivan much less "love" him. I did enjoy this piece that he wrote since it's right on the money and is important for Bill's fans to know and absorb.

Instead, too many will go ahead and think that all is great in Bill's land and Sully is just making this stuff up...which he isn't. Those fans are the delusional ones and the ones that represent such a danger.

Fan pressure is essential to get this franchise away from the Keystone Kops way of doing things. This off season is not a good sign.

notacon
01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
This aversion to the word "czar" is incredibly moronic and shows how some people are so afraid of language. They are the weak minded ones. The ones who need to be mocked and never, never given credence to.

HHURRICANE
01-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I stick with my original thread....the Pegula's look like idiots.

pmoon6
01-05-2015, 04:01 PM
What...are you stalking me again?!? You really have to get life, buddy.

Anyway, I do not know Sullivan much less "love" him. I did enjoy this piece that he wrote since it's right on the money and is important for Bill's fans to know and absorb.

Instead, too many will go ahead and think that all is great in Bill's land and Sully is just making this stuff up...which he isn't. Those fans are the delusional ones and the ones that represent such a danger.

Fan pressure is essential to get this franchise away from the Keystone Kops way of doing things. This off season is not a good sign.HaHaHa. I have a life, you pig eyed sack of ****. Only I earn an honest living and don't sell knock off designer handbags as the real thing to unsuspecting old ladies on Social Security.

I must amend my post though. You probably ARE Jerry Sullivan. The same stupid diatribe can be seen in your posts as well as your column.