PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Anchor Stuart Scott Passes Away

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 08:10 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49.

Among the features of the new ESPN studio in Bristol is a wall of catchphrases made famous by on-air talent over the years. An amazing nine of them belong to one man -- from his signature "Boo-Yah!" to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school."

That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. When he passed away, he left behind so much more. He inspired his colleagues with his sheer talent, his work ethic and his devotion to his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15. He defied convention and criticism to help bring this network into a new century. He spoke to the very athletes he was talking about with a flair and a style that ESPN President John Skipper says, "changed everything."

Scott died after a long battle with cancer.

RIP

YardRat
01-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Wow. Condolences to his family. He was one of the good ones, very entertaining.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 08:20 AM
I literally grew up watching Scott on SportsCenter daily. I know that for some his theatrics got annoying but I loved them when I was younger. The catch phrases he said on TV would then make their way on to the basketball courts, football fields, and baseball fields where I played youth sports.

If you haven't watched it before, his speech at the Jimmy V Awards this past year was simply incredible:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yl_0ieqSi7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stuckincincy
01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Passed on at age 49...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453852/article/espn-sportscaster-stuart-scott-dies-at-age-49

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 12:43 PM
When I heard the news this morning that Stuart Scott passed away last night, I started to cry.

Surprised myself, never thought I'd be crying over a sports broadcaster, but Stuart Scott was bigger than that.

His delivery, style and originality changed the sports broadcasting game completely.

A lot of people grew up watching Stuart Scott and said, "I want to be a cool sports broadcaster like him."

Never met the guy before, he was just that cool dude on ESPN that I grew up with and loved watching every time he was on.

He was a star.

God needed a sports announcer, so he drafted Stuart Scott early.

Rest in heavenly peace bro.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Stuart Scott

1965 - 2015

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Stuart_Scott_2010.jpg/220px-Stuart_Scott_2010.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K9cSX5XPY70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

djjimkelly
01-04-2015, 01:22 PM
was an icon on espn and im sure brought alot of enjoyment to all bills fans, sports fans and people everywhere.

his energy on espn will be missed by me

RIP STUART SCOTT

djjimkelly
01-04-2015, 01:31 PM
didnt see this thread so i posted too. very sad situation

Don't Panic
01-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Just watched the vid for the first time... right to the core on that one. Sad loss for the sports broadcasting world.

BertSquirtgum
01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry he died but his stupid made words pissed me off real bad.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Merged all of the threads

Night Train
01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
RIP

A good guy who deserved better.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Rest In Peace, Mr. Scott.

However, it boogles my mind how effusive people are about sports stars or those who comment on them when the pass on. Extreme hyperbole almost makes you think some of these guys discovered penicillin or cured polio.

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry he died but his stupid made words pissed me off real bad.

'Cooler than the other side of the pillow.'

Professional sports in America never really had a voice until ESPN hired Stuart Scott.

elltrain22
01-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Definitely my favorite all time SC anchor. He will be missed, and thoughts and prayers are with his family. The sports world lost a special one today. RIP

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Rest In Peace, Mr. Scott.

However, it boogles my mind how effusive people are about sports stars or those who comment on them when the pass on. Extreme hyperbole almost makes you think some of these guys discovered penicillin or cured polio.

Stuart Scott was the, "Voice of Sports," in the 21st century.

Prior to him, sports were always reported mainly by white men commenting on teams that were 85% black.

Scott didn't cure cancer, but he was a pioneer in his field.

pmoon6
01-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Stuart Scott was the, "Voice of Sports," in the 21st century.

Prior to him, sports were always reported mainly by white men commenting on teams that were 85% black.

Scott didn't cure cancer, but he was a pioneer in his field.Oh, I see. He was the Jackie Robinson of TV Sports journalism.

stuckincincy
01-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Merged all of the threads

Why did I bother breaking the story first - where it belonged - in the NFL section?

YardRat
01-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Why did I bother breaking the story first - where it belonged - in the NFL section?

DraftBoy posted the first thread this morning in the Twilight Zone. When you merge threads, it automatically sorts the posts by time, that's why his is first. I put it in the main forum because I thought it deserved the traffic. Sorry, I hope you weren't expecting a cookie, or something.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 05:47 PM
DraftBoy posted the first thread this morning in the Twilight Zone. When you merge threads, it automatically sorts the posts by time, that's why his is first. I put it in the main forum because I thought it deserved the traffic. Sorry, I hope you weren't expecting a cookie, or something.

So the cookie you sent me wasn't for posting this thread first? Then what was it for...?

YardRat
01-04-2015, 05:54 PM
So the cookie you sent me wasn't for posting this thread first? Then what was it for...?

Shhhhh....little pitchers have big ears.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Shhhhh....little pitchers have big ears.

:wink:

Mike13
01-04-2015, 06:40 PM
**** Cancer.