PDA

View Full Version : Source: Russ Brandon Chief Proponent of Mike Shanahan (LaCanfora)

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 08:14 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/1/4/7490027/brandon-wants-shanny

Not a huge surprise, he's wanted him before, bringing in a name coach will help sell tickets, and he's honestly fighting for his job and they have to get this hire right.

I still don't want Shanny.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Well, if that isn't reason enough to shun Shanny, I don't know what is.

Stay the **** away from football, Russ.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Well, if that isn't reason enough to shun Shanny, I don't know what is.

Stay the **** away from football, Russ.

Agreed on both accounts.

The Jokeman
01-04-2015, 08:29 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/1/4/7490027/brandon-wants-shanny

Not a huge surprise, he's wanted him before, bringing in a name coach will help sell tickets, and he's honestly fighting for his job and they have to get this hire right.

I still don't want Shanny.
Shanny would want too much control and why I wouldn't want him. I feel Kubiak's the perfect guy to get but with the Ravens winning yesterday it's going to be tougher waiting for him. That said he could get the defense and ST staff together and jut bring in the offensive staff. It shouldn't be too hard to fill since his likely OC Candidate (Rick Dennison) is working with him on Baltimore. Yet his former O-line guy has the same job in Miami and his assistant is in Dallas under the same job title. Yet another reason I like Kubiak as we might be able to nab one of his former QBs (TJ Yates and/or maybe Matt Schaub) as UFAs and a guy like Owen Daniels is an interesting name in UFA that be an improvement over Lee Smith as our 2nd TE too.

coastal
01-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Year 16 here we come.

WagonCircler
01-04-2015, 09:44 AM
I want to know what qualifies Russ Brandon to have any input into this hiring process.

He has ZERO football background and has failed miserably here in such searches.

Worthless.

The Jokeman
01-04-2015, 10:12 AM
I want to know what qualifies Russ Brandon to have any input into this hiring process.

Worthless.

He might be there to see if he can "sell" the HC. As if the guy they interview is a wet noodle then he might let the Pegula's know it's going to be difficult to get season ticket holders to want to back so and so. As yes the NFL should be about football first and foremost but it's a product that needs to be sold on fans etc. I mean look at the popularity of this and other message boards on the subject. I mean look at the Sabres and Ted Nolan. I think part of the reason he was brought back is 1)He's shown he can develop young talent and 2)He's a guy that the Buffalo community has embraced and someone I and others would pay to see. Moreso then a Ron Wilson or a Mark Crawford etc. In others words, sports teams are no longer just a team but they are a brand. Sure winning should ultimately be above all else but quite frankly it isn't. I mean as inept as the Raiders are I'd say they probably have more fans than the Bills do in part because of their image.

trapezeus
01-04-2015, 10:15 AM

Worthless.
He has his apologists.
"But last time he left no stone unturned, he stood on his right foot. This time he'll stand on his left. He hasn't been the president for 15 yrs, just the figure head." Im over it, where are the raiders. Weren't they looking to take him.

better days
01-04-2015, 10:25 AM
He has his apologists.
"But last time he left no stone unturned, he stood on his right foot. This time he'll stand on his left. He hasn't been the president for 15 yrs, just the figure head." Im over it, where are the raiders. Weren't they looking to take him.

I guess you could call me a Russ apologist, but no way in hell do I want Russ involved in the hiring of the HC or any other football matter.

starrymessenger
01-04-2015, 11:51 AM
If Pegs is smart he will listen attentively to whatever Russ is recommending.
And then do the exact opposite.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Instead of hiring a proven guy we'll hire some second tier bum and in 3 years do it all over again.

Holla!

better days
01-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Instead of hiring a proven guy we'll hire some second tier bum and in 3 years do it all over again.

Holla!

This type of post is probably why you are in the red.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2015, 12:02 PM
This type of post is probably why you are in the red.

Something like that.

Doesn't mean it's not true. That's the track record of this organization.

starrymessenger
01-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Holla!
Shanny hasn't done much recently and junior, who he might try to bring with him, is another Hackett.

better days
01-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Something like that.

Doesn't mean it's not true. That's the track record of this organization.

See, the problem with that is there is NO track record since Pegula bought the Bills.

It is a fresh start.

Meathead
01-04-2015, 12:11 PM
well IF shanny had any real magic and IF he mighta learned some important lessons in snyderhell perhaps it wouldnt be bad

schwartzinator can stay and be happy with running the same d. shanny can retool the oline to run those zone blocking schemes that are probably the closest thing to magic that he has. and maybe not having a marquee qb can help him work on that ego problem he seems to have bumping heads with the qbs all the time

i wouldnt pick him but if they want him and get him ill give him a chance. and with that the phrase 'famous last words' popped into my head

BuffaloRedleg
01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Well just because Brandon likes pizza doesn't mean I'm going to stop liking pizza.

Him liking something does not negate its value.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, as the saying goes.

For what it's worth, Paul Hamilton on WGR said he did not get the impression that Brandon was not an active part of the coaching search.

better days
01-04-2015, 12:16 PM
well IF shanny had any real magic and IF he mighta learned some important lessons in snyderhell perhaps it wouldnt be bad

schwartzinator can stay and be happy with running the same d. shanny can retool the oline to run those zone blocking schemes that are probably the closest thing to magic that he has. and maybe not having a marquee qb can help him work on that ego problem he seems to have bumping heads with the qbs all the time

i wouldnt pick him but if they want him and get him ill give him a chance. and with that the phrase 'famous last words' popped into my head

A huge problem with the zone blocking scheme is the Bills don't have the type of players to run that successfully.

That is the reason the Bills run game took a dive this past season.

better days
01-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Well just because Brandon likes pizza doesn't mean I'm going to stop liking pizza.

For what it's worth, Paul Hamilton on WGR said he did not get the impression that Brandon was not an active part of the coaching search.

Agreed. I would listen to Brandon's opinion, but I would want to taste the pizza myself to see if I thought it was any good.

I have a friend that actually thinks Dominos makes a good pizza. LMAO.

BertSquirtgum
01-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Why is Russ even allowed to talk when front office people are having football discussions. Get him the **** out of here. He's the one who brought in Marrone.

WagonCircler
01-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Brandon's opinion of Shanahan is white noise to me. It means absolutely nothing.

I'm willing to give a guy with multiple Super Bowl rings a pass for a rotten tenure under Daniel Snyder. Nobody can succeed in that environment.

But Brandon's opinion is of no more value than a drunk on a barstool's opinion.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2015, 12:47 PM
See, the problem with that is there is NO track record since Pegula bought the Bills.

It is a fresh start.

And the same guys in charge of picking the last coach are picking the next coach too!

And a fresh start? It's 2005 all over again with organizational changes incoming and then the head coach quitting after 2 years.

Mace
01-04-2015, 12:50 PM

Worthless.

Well, we're back on the same side again.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Brandon should have zero input on any football decisions.

And I think he's good for the organization.

Frank Stallone
01-04-2015, 12:59 PM
I don't like Shanahan as a coach, but the "he'll want too much control" thing intrigues me. Maybe he could get enough control to fire everyone in the building?

justasportsfan
01-04-2015, 01:10 PM
If its all about learning from your last stint I'll take Hue Jackson over Shanny

Demon
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
If its all about learning from your last stint I'll take Hue Jackson over Shanny

I have never been too big on Hue Jackson, and i most def am not after hearing on the Colts/Bengals telecast today that in week 7 the Bengals didn't cross mid-field until the 4th quarter. I don't care who's at QB or if you're having a bad day or whatever, if you cant cross the 50 yard line for three straight quarters then we've got issues. Major issues.

starrymessenger
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't know if J LaCofora is a reliable source or not. Maybe he is. According to CBS pre game he's the source of a story that Pegs had agreed to DMs demands re extensions and more control etc...and St Doug reneged.
My head is spinning.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 02:41 PM
A huge problem with the zone blocking scheme is the Bills don't have the type of players to run that successfully.

That is the reason the Bills run game took a dive this past season.

It isn't so much zone-blocking in general that the Bills offensive line would struggle with, they've used it a lot the past two seasons anyway...it's the inside/outside stretch aspect specifically that bigger guys aren't built for and that wasn't part of Buffalo's zone at all.

GvilleBills
01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
It isn't so much zone-blocking in general that the Bills offensive line would struggle with, they've used it a lot the past two seasons anyway...it's the inside/outside stretch aspect specifically that bigger guys aren't built for and that wasn't part of Buffalo's zone at all.

But it is part of the Shanahan model right? Smaller OLinemen who can get out in space?
we have big hog mollies who don't move very well, seemed to be part of what killed the screen game this year.

BuffaloRedleg
01-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Brandon's opinion of Shanahan is white noise to me. It means absolutely nothing.

I'm willing to give a guy with multiple Super Bowl rings a pass for a rotten tenure under Daniel Snyder. Nobody can succeed in that environment.

But Brandon's opinion is of no more value than a drunk on a barstool's opinion.

I can think of about a dozen drunks who I would actually trust more.

At least they're going to be honest with me.

Night Train
01-05-2015, 03:07 AM
Once again, why is a marketing guy opening his mouth about anything football related ?

He really needs to leave.

Hey Russ. Ralph is dead. Your say on the football side should be ZERO.

Sammy Avalon
01-05-2015, 04:10 AM
Shanny's trademark success method has and always will be the run game and play action passes. In order to be successful he requires short mobile and athletic linemen and not the human mammoth types which have been acquired by Whaley. Why they would even consider him at this point is beyond me.

YardRat
01-05-2015, 04:40 AM
But it is part of the Shanahan model right? Smaller OLinemen who can get out in space?
we have big hog mollies who don't move very well, seemed to be part of what killed the screen game this year.

It isn't necessarily 'getting out in space' per se for the running game, but rather lateral movement by most or all of the unit, and yes, that requires smaller more agile linemen. Buffalo didn't really utilize the stretch aspect of zone-blocking, the closest they came was probably the 'skinny sweeps' they tried with Spiller early in the season, and failed miserably. 'Zone-blocking' isn't just about pulling and getting 'out in space', it's just a different technique than man and is employed within the trenches on between the tackles runs and pass pro also.

The bottom line is, yes, the basic play design Shanny likes to use, especially in the run game, wouldn't work effectively with the oline we have right now, but thats due to a specific aspect of zone-blocking, not zone-blocking in general.

jamze132
01-05-2015, 12:04 PM
I like Shanahan of all of the other options.

jamze132
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM
It isn't necessarily 'getting out in space' per se for the running game, but rather lateral movement by most or all of the unit, and yes, that requires smaller more agile linemen. Buffalo didn't really utilize the stretch aspect of zone-blocking, the closest they came was probably the 'skinny sweeps' they tried with Spiller early in the season, and failed miserably. 'Zone-blocking' isn't just about pulling and getting 'out in space', it's just a different technique than man and is employed within the trenches on between the tackles runs and pass pro also.

The bottom line is, yes, the basic play design Shanny likes to use, especially in the run game, wouldn't work effectively with the oline we have right now, but thats due to a specific aspect of zone-blocking, not zone-blocking in general.

The O-line can be rebuilt fairly quickly with if the guy putting it together knows what the hell he's doing.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2015, 01:10 PM
<u>Adam SchefterVerified account‏<s>@</s>AdamSchefter<small class="time">2h2 hours ago (http://www.billszone.com/AdamSchefter/status/552161370012405760)</small>
Former Broncos HC Mike Shanahan also spent Sunday meeting with Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula and other team officials, he confirmed.
0 replies397 retweets259 favorites<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply js-tooltip" title="Reply" type="button" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply">Reply</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionRetweet js-tooltip" title="Retweet" type="button" data-modal="ProfileTweet-retweet">Retweet397</button><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButtonUndo js-actionButton js-actionRetweet js-tooltip" title="Undo retweet" type="button" data-modal="ProfileTweet-retweet">Retweeted397</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionFavorite js-tooltip" title="Favorite" type="button">Favorite259</button><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButtonUndo u-linkClean js-actionButton js-actionFavorite js-tooltip" title="Undo favorite" type="button">Favorited259</button>
<button aria-haspopup="true" class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-tooltip js-dropdown-toggle" title="More" type="button">More</button>

<button class="dropdown-link" type="button">Embed Tweet</button>

9:55 AM - 5 Jan 2015

</u>

jimbohastle51
01-05-2015, 01:31 PM
This is the closest the team will get to a "football czar" atthis point. The team has alot of talent and coming offa 9-7 season... this could be a match. Especially givenhis ties to cutler and cousins. A trade could be made pretty swiftly after his hire for a qb.