PDA

View Full Version : Marrone didn't like Watkins trade.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Seeds of discontent were sown in Buffalo last May, when the Bills traded up to land wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

According to sources in the Bills' draft room, former Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone clearly was not happy with the trade.

Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12118625/doug-marrone-did-not-approve-sammy-watkins-draft-day-trade-buffalo-bills

I agree with not trading up but I wouldn't have traded up for any QB either.

black N yellow
01-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Is there anything Marrone DID like? What a miserable ****.

stuckincincy
01-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Seeds of discontent were sown in Buffalo last May, when the Bills traded up to land wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

According to sources in the Bills' draft room, former Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone clearly was not happy with the trade.

Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12118625/doug-marrone-did-not-approve-sammy-watkins-draft-day-trade-buffalo-bills

I agree with not trading up but I wouldn't have traded up for any QB either.

Additional article - more critical IMO:

..."We've written previously about the high-risk, low-reward of the Watkins trade and the takeaway is this: Basically, Watkins not only has to outperform the rest of very deep, talented wide receiver draft class, but do it at such a level that makes it worth giving up a high-round selection in next year's draft, too.

Compounding matters: The Bills could have stayed put in the 2014 draft, selected Odell Beckham Jr, and kept their 2015 first-round pick.".

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24935092/report-doug-marrone-unhappy-when-bills-traded-up-for-sammy-watkins

Scumbag College
01-04-2015, 10:55 AM

I thinkn the only thing he liked was the $4 Million clause for not working. Other than that, he's a cretin.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't buy this one too much. It's more dirt onto Whaley in hindsight.

For the record. I hated that trade and still do. Does not matter what is said in Buffalo; from the outside, this is clearly viewed as a selfish move by Bills executives taking advantage of the vacuum of ownership; they look for themselves instead of long term good of the franchise.

And that included Marrone. Frankly, with the opt out clause, the one who would and does benefit the most is Marrone. Whaley showed not so sound talent judgement on offense, and Brandon didn't really acted in the best interest of the franchise. I have no doubt a high number of front office people pushing for it -- Watkins is the surest thing in this draft and no one wants to have a fresh 1st round bust on hand when a new owner takes over.

Watkins still may turn out to be the best in my opinion down the road.

cookie G
01-04-2015, 11:06 AM
That's too bad.

I don't like to hear Marrone's meddling on the Oline.

He ruined whatever productivity they had.

X-Era
01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I ****ing despise Marrone. I'm glad that turbo douche is gone.

The Jokeman
01-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Additional article - more critical IMO:

..."We've written previously about the high-risk, low-reward of the Watkins trade and the takeaway is this: Basically, Watkins not only has to outperform the rest of very deep, talented wide receiver draft class, but do it at such a level that makes it worth giving up a high-round selection in next year's draft, too.

Compounding matters: The Bills could have stayed put in the 2014 draft, selected Odell Beckham Jr, and kept their 2015 first-round pick.".

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24935092/report-doug-marrone-unhappy-when-bills-traded-up-for-sammy-watkins

The problem with highsight articles is typically it's thought that a guy would replicate the numbers he has there would also happen here. If you study Beckham's stats a lot of his stats are because of the sheer amount of opportunities compared to the one's Sammy had in Buffalo. So numbers aren't exactly transferable. I say this as I admit even I've gone so far to say that keeping Lynch and drafting Dez Bryant would have been a better choice then the drafting Spiller and trading Lynch as we did. Yet of course Lynch has been the sole guy in Seattle much like Beckham has been the sole guy with the Giants must of this year so their stats are inflated. Also one could argue that Dez been the sole guy with the Cowboys too. So stats aren't always apples to apples as other factors play into things. I might sound like a Sammy apologist but let's not forget that the reason so many feel the Julius Jones trade helped the Falcons is because the Browns didn't get nearly as much value back in what gave up in what got in Jones. Thus far one could argue that the Bills have gotten much more out of Watkins than what the Browns got out of Gilbert so to me it's a winnable trade thus far. Of course we still have a draft and two more picks by the Browns to truly see who will ultimately "win" the trade.

Joe Fo Sho
01-04-2015, 11:25 AM
This makes me dislike the Watkins trade a little less.

RedEyE
01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
So how is this info just now leaking into the press? Bills FO attempt to repair credibility?

Meathead
01-04-2015, 11:51 AM

i heard he was seen hanging around playgrounds with candy. wearing a turban

Mr. Pink
01-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Anything Marrone doesn't like means it was a great move.

Now we might know why Sammy had games where he was targeted 5 times, coaching minimalized his chances on purpose to prove a point.

If Beckham was only targeted 5 times a game, no one around the league would know who he was either and we'd all be sitting here thinking what a horrible draft pick.

Meathead
01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
well cant blame him in hindsight on sammy. love me some sammy but id rather have those picks and one of the other wrs right now. i suspect pretty much everybody sees that now

poor darker dougie. swung for the fences and missed both times. at least hes still got a dynamite player with sammy. and its almost unfair what buddy did to him forcing the ej pick but that goes with the territory. ejs probably one in five he will ever be starter material so thats a long shot that might come back to him

hes done enough that if i were pegs id want him to stay with the club and see if he can craft a recovery from those two mistakes. like maybe listening to the hc more bc idk what else might have factored in but on that one pasty doug was right. those are tough calls which is why gms usually avoid them, but it should be a good lesson that id rather try to leverage here if i could

better days
01-04-2015, 12:06 PM
So how is this info just now leaking into the press? Bills FO attempt to repair credibility?

I think it is just the opposite.

I think this comes from Marrone's camp as justification for his QUITTING on his team.

WagonCircler
01-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I ****ing despise Marrone. I'm glad that turbo douche is gone.

I feel the same way about him.

But he was right in this instance.

It was a horrible, shortsighted trade, and it leaves us fuct at the QB position--which make the trade even worse, because not having a QB makes having good WRs useless.

But the worst and most damning part of it is the fact that Becham and others from that draft are just as good as Watkins, but cost less than half of the resources it took to get him.

And it has a ripple effect, because no coach or exec wants to come to a team with no QB.

That's why Atlanta will get the pick of the litter when it comes to coaches. They have a QB and we don't.

The cluster-**** was created by Whaley and he needs to go.

Frank Stallone
01-04-2015, 12:51 PM

It doesn't sound like OBD. Their standard move is to blame the outgoing coach for bad picks, like when we were supposed to believe that lame duck Jauron was given the power to draft Aaron Maybin.

stuckincincy
01-04-2015, 01:04 PM
I think it is just the opposite.

I think this comes from Marrone's camp as justification for his QUITTING on his team.

A self-centered employee successfully played his self-centered management. End of story.

Frank Stallone
01-04-2015, 01:37 PM

It was a horrible, shortsighted trade, and it leaves us fuct at the QB position--which make the trade even worse, because not having a QB makes having good WRs useless.

But the worst and most damning part of it is the fact that Becham and others from that draft are just as good as Watkins, but cost less than half of the resources it took to get him.

And it has a ripple effect, because no coach or exec wants to come to a team with no QB.

That's why Atlanta will get the pick of the litter when it comes to coaches. They have a QB and we don't.

It wasn't even short-sighted; it was just plain stupid. You're a GM counting on a rookie WR to save your job? He should be fired for that alone.

BillsImpossible
01-04-2015, 01:39 PM
It's all a mute point now. The past is gone.

Onward!

Novacane
01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Will the people that keep saying this trade cost a QB please tell us the QB we would be drafting with pick 19?

RedEyE
01-04-2015, 02:07 PM
On one hand, I think its Marrone's agent trying to spin as one of the reasons he left. Paint an unbearable conditions image.

On the other, that only tells any potential FOs that he IS a control freak and when he doesn't get his way he pouts and slams his fists on the floor.

I think it's more likely a hush release from the Bills FO. An attempt to pile on the rumors that Marrone was the issue and not FO personnel. I don't think its to hurt Marrone as much as it is to set the record straight with any potential and interviewing HCs.

Night Train
01-04-2015, 02:11 PM
I didn't like the trade either.

Can't help but believe Whaley made the trade, convinced he had nothing to lose but his job with the ownership change. Otherwise, he doesn't do it.

Nothing at all against Watkins, a good player but it didn't need to be done.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 02:13 PM
He's going to like it even less if he takes the Jets job and has to face Sammy twice a year with a real offensive coordinator. Those two annual ass-whuppings for the next couple of seasons are going to make the trade worthwhile to everybody.

RedEyE
01-04-2015, 02:15 PM
He's going to like it even less if he takes the Jets job and has to face Sammy twice a year with a real offensive coordinator. Those two annual ass-whuppings for the next couple of seasons are going to make the trade worthwhile to everybody.

Lol. Im sure he will spend hours on end with the OL prepping them for Watkins.....wait, what?

justasportsfan
01-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Who Marrone wanted or didn't when it comes to players isn't as important as who he picked of brought with him especially from Syracuse and then turn his back on them and abandoned them. I feel sorry for Hackett right now unless Hackett follows him after he's let go by bills.

WagonCircler
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
It's all a mute point now. The past is gone.

Onward!

no it isn't.

Nor is it a moot point.

Because the same idiot is now choosing the next head coach.

Backward!

better days
01-04-2015, 03:30 PM

Well, Beckham is the only other receiver the Bills had any shot of drafting so forget about all the others.

I heard reports the Bills had their choice of giving the Browns their 2nd rnd pick in that draft or their first rnd pick in the next draft.

IMO, that was the colossal mistake made. In effect, the Bills traded next years first rnd pick for Cyrus Kouandjio.

Novacane
01-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Marone didn't like Whaley.
Marone didn't like Whaley moving up to get Watkins.
Marrone didn't throw the ball to Watkins near as much as he should have
Marone didn't like Whaley bringing in Mike Williams
Marrone benched Mike Williams despite a crappy offense

See a pattern? I wouldn't put it past that ******* not using these guys like he should of to try and get Whaley fired!

trapezeus
01-05-2015, 10:54 AM
a good coach will maximize the talent that he has. a bad one will say he didn't have what he needed to succeed.

anyone can coach an allstar team.

I would like the bills to get a guy who has experience changing philosphies based on the talent he has been given. like a college coach who hasn't had the benefit of recruiting the best of the best but always fields a team with heart.

in the nfl, that gap will be much smaller, and his flexibility will be an asset as injuries mount for any team.

Dr. Who
01-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Marone didn't like Whaley.
Marone didn't like Whaley moving up to get Watkins.
Marrone didn't throw the ball to Watkins near as much as he should have
Marone didn't like Whaley bringing in Mike Williams
Marrone benched Mike Williams despite a crappy offense

See a pattern? I wouldn't put it past that ******* not using these guys like he should of to try and get Whaley fired!

Now I am wondering if Cyrus K. is really worthless or not.

Strongman
01-05-2015, 01:51 PM
I don't care for Marrone, but if this article is true, Marrone was 100% correct that the FO gave up too much for Sammy. If you watch this Bills' PR video, a good part of the Bills' problems is the arrogance displayed in the video by Brandon, Overdorf, Monos, Whaley, and the rest of the 'yes' men who are high-fiving and back-slapping each other after they overpaid for Sammy.

http://alturl.com/wfzca

It's the equivalent of car-buyer congratulating himself after spending $2K more over the sticker price on a car.

I can't say I completely blame Marrone for opting out after watching this FO shoot themselves in the foot time after time. The argument about the game passing Polian by may not be correct if he knew enough not to work with these clowns. Pegula needs to clean house.

YardRat
01-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I don't think anybody that swung the deal for Biscuit has any room to criticize somebody else for doing the same thing on a much smaller scale, especially considering it didn't end up with a Lombardi Trophy or a HOF career for the acquired player. If Bennett was worth the price Polian paid, he should've been a first ballot shoe-in.

Strongman
01-05-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't think anybody that swung the deal for Biscuit has any room to criticize somebody else for doing the same thing on a much smaller scale, especially considering it didn't end up with a Lombardi Trophy or a HOF career for the acquired player. If Bennett was worth the price Polian paid, he should've been a first ballot shoe-in.

That's a fair point. Not agreeing or disagreeing. It's a little hard to compare the two because you also have to keep in mind that that trade was made before the salary cap was instituted and draft picks simply weren't as coveted back then as they are now. Championship teams were built more by player acquisition so that trade made more sense back then.

I think you might be right that Polian isn't the person to turn this around. It's interesting to think about.