PDA

View Full Version : Why Would We Hire Someone With A D Background ? Should Be An O Coach

Night Train
01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Agreed ?

Make Schwartz Asst. HC/DC with a hefty raise and keep his D assistant coaches. ST's are very good.

We know where the problem is...Offense. Why do more work than needed ?

justasportsfan
01-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Just like Chan was HC/OC? I'm OK with it. Don't let Marrone hire anyone he left behind on D staff especially Schwartz ,Pepper and Henderson

YardRat
01-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Agreed.

Mace
01-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Absolutely agreed.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Nope, hire the best coach regardless of specialty.

tomz
01-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Absolutely right. Head coach skills are not the same as coordinators. Think about all those guys like dungy or billick whose teams had strong units on the opposite side of the ball from their specialty.

YardRat
01-04-2015, 06:07 PM

Absolutely right. Head coach skills are not the same as coordinators. Think about all those guys like dungy or billick whose teams had strong units on the opposite side of the ball from their specialty.

Under normal circumstances, absolutely, but considering what we have on defense if we can keep that side of the ball mostly intact an offensive-minded guy would be more capable of bringing in assistants to support and implement his philosophy.

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Under normal circumstances, absolutely, but considering what we have on defense if we can keep that side of the ball mostly intact an offensive-minded guy would be more capable of bringing in assistants to support and implement his philosophy.

Nope, you hire the best coach.

Don't Panic
01-04-2015, 06:27 PM
For one, HC skills are definitely different from coordinator skills. Also, there should be a top down process to all this. The owner picks a President/Director of Football Operations to oversee the franchise. That person hires a GM, or is the GM. That person hires the coach, either alone or as part of a group decision. That coach hires the coordinators. Right now we have a coordinator and a GM (I think?) but little else. That's what confuses me about the way things are unfolding. Anyway... Schwartz has proven to be a great coordinator and a below average coach. That opens the door to any highly qualified candidates being considered. They need to see that process through before Schwartz's next step is determined. If they decide he's the best man to be coach, your plan works. If they don't... well, then we may have a whole new group in here (with the same quality personnel on D mind you).

berndog5
01-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Agreed ?

Make Schwartz Asst. HC/DC with a hefty raise and keep his D assistant coaches. ST's are very good.

We know where the problem is...Offense. Why do more work than needed ?

When hiring someone it is always best to talk to as many people with experience as possible. All of these coaches will be asked Bills roster and schematic specific questions and this information can be used as an audit for your team. The Pegula's are new to football and will be fed lots of info from Whaley, Brandon, et al. One of the best ways to improve your organization is to get perspective from outside peers on what they would do to improve.

X-Era
01-05-2015, 04:38 AM
Nope, you hire the best coach.I'm going to agree. Our roster on the defense has the flexibility to play multiple sets. It shouldn't take a massive overhaul of the roster on D to change to a new scheme.

I think what many are saying is why fix something that you finally have right? I'd agree except that the overall talent on D is probably more of the reason we were so good rather than the scheme itself.

For the most part the players will all be back.

Only caveat is if some new defensive minded HC comes in and puts them in a bad scheme for their talents. But again, I don't see that happening.

YardRat
01-05-2015, 04:44 AM
I'm going to agree. Our roster on the defense has the flexibility to play multiple sets. It shouldn't take a massive overhaul of the roster on D to change to a new scheme.

I think what many are saying is why fix something that you finally have right? I'd agree except that the overall talent on D is probably more of the reason we were so good rather than the scheme itself.

For the most part the players will all be back.

Only caveat is if some new defensive minded HC comes in and puts them in a bad scheme for their talents. But again, I don't see that happening.

This defense would regress if Pettine were to come back and re-insert his scheme.

swiper
01-05-2015, 04:47 AM
I get the want for an offensive head coach, but without a QB it doesn't matter. The REAL problem with this team is their lack of a REAL franchise QB for the past 18 years.

swiper
01-05-2015, 04:49 AM
And that is Brandon's biggest failure.

For somebody who models himself after John Schuerholz (as Brandon likes to tell people), he lacks his Maddox, Glavine & Smoltz.

Night Train
01-05-2015, 04:52 AM

You are correct... but to tinker with this D and ST's is beyond foolish.

tomz
01-05-2015, 07:23 AM

I see your point--we probably do not want to hire a 3-4 DC for example--but I would focus on the management and motivation skills for Head Coach. The ability to delegate while still setting the tone; the ability to make gameday decisions; the ability to prepare the team overall.

justasportsfan
01-05-2015, 08:04 AM
If we bring in a D minded coach, he better let Schwartz do his thing because I doubt there's anyone who can do a better job with what we got. Ask Aaron, Peyton and Brady. However, ego's might clash due to defensive philosophy.

So Bring in Reich and make AVP the OC :couch: and leave both the ST and D alone.

The King
01-05-2015, 08:20 AM
DraftBoy is spot on. You bring in the best coach. If it's a defensive coach you're obviously asking what their strategy is in building the offense.

DraftBoy
01-05-2015, 10:35 AM
You are correct... but to tinker with this D and ST's is beyond foolish.

Who said anything about tinkering with the D?

You don't discount the best candidate for the job if he's a DC simply because your fearful of losing Schwartz. That's ridiculous.

Edward Robinson
01-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Im want the best coach possible as long as he doesn't touch the defense. For example Mike Tomlin was a defensive coach rooted in in the 4-3 bUT when he came to Pitt he was smart enough to know to stick with the 3-4 defense Pitt already had which was sucessful.

The King
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
The coach should be rooted in winning. Belichick is a 3-4 guy, yet he's won playing every defensive and offensive scheme imaginable.

psubills62
01-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Personally, while I'm leery of most of the options out there, I'm intrigued by Darrell Bevell. He's had a successful offense and his run game has flourished with big, beefy guys like we have on the OL. Wilson seems very comfortable as a passer, and I think Manuel would fit well into that type of offense. He's an offensive HC, so I have to imagine he'd be fine with Schwartz sticking around as DC.

Pete Carroll being a defensive coach, I'd imagine the offense in Seattle is primarily Bevell's. Also, Carroll being a defensive coach means I'd be leery of hiring someone like Dan Quinn, who is running Carroll's D. Doesn't feel like those kinds of coaches tend to have a lot of success (see Gus Bradley in Jacksonville thus far, even though I like the personnel moves they've made in Jax overall).

Just feels like Bevell could have some success here.