• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Why Would We Hire Someone With A D Background ? Should Be An O Coach

Agreed ?

Make Schwartz Asst. HC/DC with a hefty raise and keep his D assistant coaches. ST's are very good.

We know where the problem is...Offense. Why do more work than needed ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why Would We Hire Someone With A D Background ? Should Be An O Coach

Just like Chan was HC/OC? I'm OK with it. Don't let Marrone hire anyone he left behind on D staff especially Schwartz ,Pepper and Henderson
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Agreed.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Absolutely agreed.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Nope, hire the best coach regardless of specialty.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• tomz
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            Absolutely right. Head coach skills are not the same as coordinators. Think about all those guys like dungy or billick whose teams had strong units on the opposite side of the ball from their specialty.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by tomz View Post
              Absolutely right. Head coach skills are not the same as coordinators. Think about all those guys like dungy or billick whose teams had strong units on the opposite side of the ball from their specialty.
              Under normal circumstances, absolutely, but considering what we have on defense if we can keep that side of the ball mostly intact an offensive-minded guy would be more capable of bringing in assistants to support and implement his philosophy.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Under normal circumstances, absolutely, but considering what we have on defense if we can keep that side of the ball mostly intact an offensive-minded guy would be more capable of bringing in assistants to support and implement his philosophy.
                Nope, you hire the best coach.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

For one, HC skills are definitely different from coordinator skills. Also, there should be a top down process to all this. The owner picks a President/Director of Football Operations to oversee the franchise. That person hires a GM, or is the GM. That person hires the coach, either alone or as part of a group decision. That coach hires the coordinators. Right now we have a coordinator and a GM (I think?) but little else. That's what confuses me about the way things are unfolding. Anyway... Schwartz has proven to be a great coordinator and a below average coach. That opens the door to any highly qualified candidates being considered. They need to see that process through before Schwartz's next step is determined. If they decide he's the best man to be coach, your plan works. If they don't... well, then we may have a whole new group in here (with the same quality personnel on D mind you).

Comment

• berndog5
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    Agreed ?

Make Schwartz Asst. HC/DC with a hefty raise and keep his D assistant coaches. ST's are very good.

We know where the problem is...Offense. Why do more work than needed ?
                    When hiring someone it is always best to talk to as many people with experience as possible. All of these coaches will be asked Bills roster and schematic specific questions and this information can be used as an audit for your team. The Pegula's are new to football and will be fed lots of info from Whaley, Brandon, et al. One of the best ways to improve your organization is to get perspective from outside peers on what they would do to improve.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Nope, you hire the best coach.
                      I'm going to agree. Our roster on the defense has the flexibility to play multiple sets. It shouldn't take a massive overhaul of the roster on D to change to a new scheme.

I think what many are saying is why fix something that you finally have right? I'd agree except that the overall talent on D is probably more of the reason we were so good rather than the scheme itself.

For the most part the players will all be back.

Only caveat is if some new defensive minded HC comes in and puts them in a bad scheme for their talents. But again, I don't see that happening.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                        I'm going to agree. Our roster on the defense has the flexibility to play multiple sets. It shouldn't take a massive overhaul of the roster on D to change to a new scheme.

I think what many are saying is why fix something that you finally have right? I'd agree except that the overall talent on D is probably more of the reason we were so good rather than the scheme itself.

For the most part the players will all be back.

Only caveat is if some new defensive minded HC comes in and puts them in a bad scheme for their talents. But again, I don't see that happening.
                        This defense would regress if Pettine were to come back and re-insert his scheme.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

I get the want for an offensive head coach, but without a QB it doesn't matter. The REAL problem with this team is their lack of a REAL franchise QB for the past 18 years.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

And that is Brandon's biggest failure.

For somebody who models himself after John Schuerholz (as Brandon likes to tell people), he lacks his Maddox, Glavine & Smoltz.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

You are correct... but to tinker with this D and ST's is beyond foolish.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X