PDA

View Full Version : NFL Identifies London Stadium For Team

DraftBoy
01-04-2015, 06:51 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11322205/NFL-eye-Tottenhams-new-ground-as-home-for-London-based-American-Football-franchise.html

Tottenham Hotspur's new £400 million stadium is being looked at by the NFL as a potential venue for a London-based franchise. Planning permission has been granted for Spurs to build a 56,000-capacity *stadium, which is scheduled to open for the 2018-19 season.

Chairman Daniel Levy has held discussions with numerous companies and potential sponsors over financing for the stadium and The Telegraph understands the NFL is interested in the development, although Tottenham insist there have been no talks.

Wembley has hosted NFL games since 2007, with three matches scheduled to be played at the national stadium as part of an international series this year. It is widely anticipated that an NFL team will eventually relocate to London, with the Jacksonville Jaguars, owned by Shahid Khan, who bought Fulham in 2013, the favourites to make the move.

Frenchman
01-04-2015, 07:01 PM
NFL trying to go overseas it seems! What next Paris, China?

YardRat
01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Dumbest idea ever.

WagonCircler
01-04-2015, 09:54 PM
For about a tenth of a second I had that old muscle memory full body cringe that sent the "Oh God, please don't let them move the Bills there" shock tremors up my neck.

Then I remembered that Pegula bought the team, and we're safe.

Haters, piss all over him all you want, but I'm still willing to cut him miles and miles of slack for that alone.

OpIv37
01-05-2015, 06:52 AM
For about a tenth of a second I had that old muscle memory full body cringe that sent the "Oh God, please don't let them move the Bills there" shock tremors up my neck.

Then I remembered that Pegula bought the team, and we're safe.

Haters, piss all over him all you want, but I'm still willing to cut him miles and miles of slack for that alone.

Please tell me we aren't going here already.

As a fan base, we collectively gave Ralph a lot of slack and a lot of credit for simply not moving the team.

We were rewarded with roughly 40 years of crap from his 53 years as owner.

ticatfan
01-05-2015, 10:34 AM
The start of the end. Anyways the NFL will be litigated to extinction in 20 yrs.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2015, 03:07 PM
NFL trying to go overseas it seems! What next Paris, China?

Before the Great [recession, depression, schizophrenia] whatever we called the economic collapse of 2008 the NFL was looking to field games in China and Japan. In fact IIRC the league has toyed with playing at least a pre-season game on an annual basis since at least the late 1980s. While I am not completely opposed to playing a game or two in Europe every year to spread awareness and support for the sport across the world, I think its an industrial strength stupid idea to actually attempt to field an NFL team in Europe. The WLAF/NFLEurope was an unsustainable joke and honestly the league is possibly 2 to 8 teams too big as it is. However, if we want to increase markets or move to new markets why not LA, Mexico City, Honolulu, or Las Vegas. I would say Birmingham, Toronto, San Antonio, or Vancouver too but that would negatively impact the other teams already in those regions.

Honestly, London is too expensive in terms of travel costs, does not have enough people who would turn out for a game that they do not understand, and unless such a team was kept competative there is not going to be a way to keep it economically viable. Oh well, I always knew the NFL was digging its own grave but London might actually hasten its demise.

ticatfan
01-07-2015, 01:31 PM
We do not need the NFL in Canada.