Who Do You Want the Pegulas to Listen to Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Who Do You Want the Pegulas to Listen to Right Now?

Forget about whether that person(s) is a czar, consultant, full-time, part-time, current employee or whatever.

Whose advice should the Pegulas be accepting right now?

Unless there is someone in the background that we do not know about it, right now they are listening to Whaley and perhaps Brandon.

I'm not comfortable with that.

Given that the Pegulas attempted to bring Polian on board, they clearly are not comfortable with that and are smart enough to realize that as newbies they need a trusted football advisor(s).

To think that the Pegulas can come to good decisions on a HC or possibly GM on their own is crazy.

Yes the Pegulas should be part of every HC interview at this stage at the very least as part of their learning process, but in the end they need to rely on someone(s) advice.

Who do you think that person(s) should be?

I sure wish the Pegulas had engaged that person in October when they bought the team.
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: Who Do You Want the Pegulas to Listen to Right Now?

I like Doug Whaley. At this point I'd like to see him get a legitimate chance to do his thing. I don't believe he had any kind of final say during the 2013 draft or the last coaching search. Give him the control he needs to make football decisions and see what happens.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      I like Doug Whaley. At this point I'd like to see him get a legitimate chance to do his thing. I don't believe he had any kind of final say during the 2013 draft or the last coaching search. Give him the control he needs to make football decisions and see what happens.
      I like Whaley as well, but I just don't know if he is experienced enough in the hiring of coaches.

As a player evaluator, I trust Whaley more.

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Whaley. He's the guy the coach is going to have to work with. I hope they do the opposite if Brandon gives them his opinion

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Me... after my third 40 oz bottle of Old English
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            Sure but I doubt Kim would listen to your suggestion for her to give you a BJ.

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
              I like Whaley as well, but I just don't know if he is experienced enough in the hiring of coaches.

As a player evaluator, I trust Whaley more.
              I'm not really concerned about how much experience he has hiring coaches. He's still young and new to the GM role. I just want him to be able to pick a guy that he wants and fits his plan/vision. I think Whaley is a great talent evaluator too and a bright football guy in general. I don't have any reason to believe that he can't translate that to hiring a good coach.

Most of us were pretty excited when Whaley was brought on as an assistant GM because he was viewed as a real up and comer. I'd just like to see him get a chance to run things how he wants.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Little doubt in my mind that he's still talking to Polian, on an off the cuff, as needed basis.

And Polian will be compensated generously.

I'd prefer he did the same, with a few others, from a number of different circles and a number of different coaching/GM trees.

Bill Parcells
                Marty Schottenheimer
                Nick Saban
                The Walrus

(OK..maybe those that have been in the business sooner than 10 years ago isn't a bad idea :) )

But people like that.

Get a number different perspectives.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  You drink after shave?

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Night Train stole my answer, so I'll say Whaley...let the kid earn or burn his paycheck. I would tune out Brandon completely.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

I agree with Ed and others on Whaley.

If I'm a new owner and I have no prior networking of NFL business, I have to start somewhere. Instead of making a change for the sake of a change, start with what I have. Whaley is young and new. It's not like he has a track record to go on and hopefully I can see his growth on the job.

As an owner, I'm in for the long haul -- long, long haul. The Bills haven't made the playoff in 15 years? It's not my fault; I just got the team. For me, I'm starting year 1. In the meantime, go to every league owner, GM, coach functions and start to get to know people.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                        Forget about whether that person(s) is a czar, consultant, full-time, part-time, current employee or whatever.

Whose advice should the Pegulas be accepting right now?

Unless there is someone in the background that we do not know about it, right now they are listening to Whaley and perhaps Brandon.

I'm not comfortable with that.

Given that the Pegulas attempted to bring Polian on board, they clearly are not comfortable with that and are smart enough to realize that as newbies they need a trusted football advisor(s).

To think that the Pegulas can come to good decisions on a HC or possibly GM on their own is crazy.

Yes the Pegulas should be part of every HC interview at this stage at the very least as part of their learning process, but in the end they need to rely on someone(s) advice.

Who do you think that person(s) should be?

I sure wish the Pegulas had engaged that person in October when they bought the team.
                        The new GM that is hired after conducting an appropriate, at least industry standard, executive search.

And Brandon has to report to the new GM if the new GM decides to retain him.
                        Last edited by EDS; 01-05-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Fred Jackson

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Given the people we know are certainly on hand in the organization, I don't have a clue who I want them listening to, and it really bothers me.

Whaley is the only available answer because they seem stuck with him now at GM, but the coach he hires won't report to him and they meant to neuter him via Polian. He was also part of thinking Marrone was a must have, so I'm inclined to think he's not going to dazzle us any, either currying favor to please someone with their preferred choice so he can stay, applying his questionable judgement ala Marrone if he's on top of his game, or not giving a crap looking to his next job.

If I were Pegulas, I'd ask Tim Murray, the Sabre GM. I get this idea the intense Murray could tell you how to make a proper souffle, teach you prevailing theory on biophysics, quote Socrates in Greek, give you 5 years of MLB pitching statistics, offer tips on correctly predicting weather, cure the common cold and tell you how to quickly remove that pesky lunch stain from your dress shirt if asked.

If Murray wasn't paying attention, I have no clue who I went them listening to now.

Comment

• Strongman
                              • Apr 2006

It's easier to say who I don't want them listening to... Branden or Overdorf. I'm not sure they should listen to Whaley either, but, by default, he is probably the best person inside the organization. The team desperately needs someone from the outside.

Comment

Working...
                              X