PDA

View Full Version : What About John Gruden?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Now that it is cited that the Pegulas have reached out to Holmgren (declined), Cowher (declined), Shanahan for coaching this team, what Gruden? This is unlike Tampa when he walked in, a strong D, get a WCO, and superbowl came.

upstart
01-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Why would any established coach go to WNY ?

EricStratton
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
He just signed a long and very public extension with MNF.

DraftBoy
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
When did we reach out to Holmgren and were declined? I missed that.

THRILLHO
01-05-2015, 07:27 PM
He already re-signed with ESPN.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Mortensen said on ESPN. Apparently, Holmgren recommended Shurmur instead. The Bills are now requesting to interview Kyle Shanahan. I would not be surprised his Dad put in a good word.

Right now it appears the Pegulas shoot high but shot down different names instead. They pick the names up and chase them one after another.

coastal
01-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Gruden rode McKay's, Dungy's and Kiffen's coat tails to a reputation.

He's a wise man to stay in the booth where he will never be exposed.

upstart
01-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Gruden rode McKay's, Dungy's and Kiffen's coat tails to a reputation.

He's a wise man to stay in the booth where he will never be exposed.

You sound like someone else, that hates Gruden.

Mace
01-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Besides that he's cozy in the booth, premium names want premium situations. We have a big QB hole now and no first round premium pick to play with for anyone to put their decisive stamp on the organization.

BillsImpossible
01-05-2015, 07:55 PM

Because they love football and winning more than they need the money.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Because they love football and winning more than they need the money.

I think the Pegulas are finding out the reality: money can't buy a coach to Buffalo.

The best bet is a young up-comer who has never gotten a chance. The path of Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Doug Marrone is the way to go. Hopefully you hit on one, then show him the money on extensions.

BertSquirtgum
01-05-2015, 09:40 PM

Money

feldspar
01-05-2015, 11:25 PM

Kiss my dick.

Anyway, any coach worth his salt comes into ANY city to WORK, and that's about it. Working is their entire lives while they are on the clock, so it's not like they are going out clubbing or making a short drive to Disney World for the day. Not like they can't travel in their off-time, either. It takes a tremendous amount of focus to be successful in that job. What exactly do you think Bill Belichick does in what little spare time he has in New England, Pats fan? Visit comedy clubs? He'd probably crack his face if he laughed out loud.

I'm baffled by people constantly bringing up JON Gruden and Cowher as well...two guys that have been out of the coaching business for years and don't even WANT to come back ANYWHERE. It's laughable, if not downright annoying. Certain people break out the kleenex every time there is a vacancy. Apparently, the only vacancy is in their own heads. It's not all that common for a coach to find success on more than one team, either.

Personally, I love Gruden in the booth. I think he just signed a million year deal with ESPN. I love the team-up with Mike Tirico too, who is under-rated. Really like Chris Collinsworth with Al Michaels. They have quality Monday and Sunday Night commentators going on IMO. That's important when you watch games, particularly when your team is not playing. Adds a lot to the experience.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 04:29 AM
IMO this is about as good as it gets for somebody like Cowher or Gruden to hop back in. The only thing that could be more enticing is a couple of first round picks and a QB-rich draft. But, it isn't happening.

sukie
01-06-2015, 07:47 AM
None of those names wants thier shiny reps tarnished having to face the Patriots 2 times each year without a QB... Exception being Shanny... he's in need of some Brasso after his failure at Washington.

Give Billick a call. He's got fire and a serious chip on his shoulder after being seemingly discarded by the NFL. No more boring lifeless statue under a headset occupying sideline realestate.

No more facial expressions like the fish fry was undercooked and a wet crap is being held in during the 4th quarter. Marrone always looked like a juicy crap was winning the fight.

Billick has life and emotion.

Strongman
01-06-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm surprised they aren't kicking the Marty Schottenheimer and Wade Phillips tires.

MikeInRoch
01-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Yet.

better days
01-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I think the Pegulas are finding out the reality: money can't buy a coach to Buffalo.

The best bet is a young up-comer who has never gotten a chance. The path of Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Doug Marrone is the way to go. Hopefully you hit on one, then show him the money on extensions.

Well, Gruden, Cowher & the like are not going to Coach ANYWHERE, NOT just Buffalo.

Money will buy a HC that WANTS to Coach, it just won't buy someone that has lost the desire to Coach.

DynaPaul
01-07-2015, 06:47 AM
I think Cowher and Chucky have passed by their coaching days. Both of them are too comfortable in their current jobs wearing their Super Bowl rings and just aren't up to taking on the grueling days as an NFL coach anymore. The money might be better for them but it'd be a huge risk to their legacies if they crash and burn.

GvilleBills
01-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Had this discussion when the Gators were looking, before securing the services of The Grin Reaper.

Gruden loves MNF and just signed the very lucrative extension.
Perfect, previously created, situation in Tampa inflated his value, but seems like folks forget how it ended there.
Very difficult system that is notoriously hard on young QBs. It's why JG always sought out vets to be his QB.
Never developed a QB. I cannot see why a team with a young signal caller would want JG anywhere near him.
Gruden isn't available, and even if he was I'd say no thanks.

bdutton
01-07-2015, 08:01 AM
He already re-signed with ESPN.

Maybe we could trade next year's 1st and 3rd to get him?

gr8slayer
01-07-2015, 08:44 AM

That's actually an interesting point, who was the last "established" HC that came to Buffalo?

better days
01-07-2015, 08:50 AM
That's actually an interesting point, who was the last "established" HC that came to Buffalo?

Chuck Knox

gr8slayer
01-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Chuck Knox

I'll still never understand why they let Wade go.

Dr. Who
01-07-2015, 10:22 AM
He's still available.

Strongman
01-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Wade defied Ralph by not firing (I think it was) Ronnie Jones. Ralph then tried to screw Wade over by not paying him the last last year of his contract for insubordination, but was ordered to pay him. It's not so hard to imagine why good coaches wouldn't want to come here after watching how he treated Phillips.

Dr. Who
01-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Wade defied Ralph by not firing (I think it was) Ronnie Jones. Ralph then tried to screw Wade over by not paying him the last last year of his contract for insubordination, but was ordered to pay him. It's not so hard to imagine why good coaches wouldn't want to come here after watching how he treated Phillips.

He was treated badly. Still underrated as a coach.

Historian
01-07-2015, 11:10 AM
I find it ironic that all of Holmgren's assistants in Green Bay went on to have successful HC stints of their own, with the exception of the one we got:

Dick Jauron.

Why, Lord?

pmoon6
01-07-2015, 12:22 PM
You sound like someone else, that hates Gruden.No, he is absolutely correct and remember, he lives there.

swiper
01-07-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm surprised they aren't kicking the Marty Schottenheimer and Wade Phillips tires.

Marty turned down an offer to interview when the Bills hired either Jauron or Gailey (I don't recall which), saying, essentially, that he was done.

Give Billick a call.

Ugh. I was waiting to see how long it would take before this name came up. I'm surprised it was you that mentioned it. I want nothing to do with that guy.

Once the first head coach signing happens, I think the Pegulas will move quickly. I think they will move ahead with Schwartz. And I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz kept Hackett and gave him a second chance.

I wouldn't mind Phillips - but he has a track record. By his third season the inmates are running the asylum and then they can't get anywhere.

coastal
01-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Because he didn't wear a headset.

sudzy
01-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Tom Donahoe. Ralph was going to hire Tom. Wade wasn't his guy and he didn't want to do his own dirty work, so Ralph fired Wade before he hired Tom.

Famous Amos
01-07-2015, 04:28 PM
None of those names wants thier shiny reps tarnished having to face the Patriots 2 times each year without a QB... Exception being Shanny... he's in need of some Brasso after his failure at Washington.

Give Billick a call. He's got fire and a serious chip on his shoulder after being seemingly discarded by the NFL. No more boring lifeless statue under a headset occupying sideline realestate.

No more facial expressions like the fish fry was undercooked and a wet crap is being held in during the 4th quarter. Marrone always looked like a juicy crap was winning the fight.

Billick has life and emotion.

I wouldn't mind giving Billick a call.

swiper
01-08-2015, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't mind giving Billick a call.

You make me want to toss my cookies.