• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

The Press Has Gone All TMZ On The Bills - Comical, Yet Sad

I think we'll know who's coaching the Bills very soon. None of the other 5 teams have hired anyone either.

The Bills had a rare, sentinal event. Ralph died, new ownership and a unique contract for a current coach with an out clause. He exercised it, gaining 4 Mil and believing he had another opportunity to be a HC ( to be determined ).

The Pegula's will be sorting out the adm. bldg. hierarchy ...but first must find a coach, due to time constraints.

They can then return to reorganizing the leadership chart and make the needed changes after. I'm sure some Ralph holdovers will leave. The more, the better.

Assumption in the Press - The Pegula's let Darcy Reiger stay too long with the Sabres and didn't learn their lesson. I've seen it refernced several times. Seems to me that nothing so far has been a mistake.

The coach who ruined our OL and overall Offense is gone. (positive)

A supposed czar who loved that coach and the retired failing QB isn't coming. (positive)

The Pegula plane has logged some miles almost immediately to interview coaches and have spoken in person to at least 6-7 candidates (positive).

Will talk to a few more coaching candidates very soon (positive)

Will pick one shortly, with college all-star games coming up in a couple weeks (positive)

Fully believe they will reorganize the adm. bldg. after the coaching search ( positive)

Have a good Defense and ST's in place (positive)

Whaley pointed towards the O as needing 1-2 more QB's and upgrading the OL . Will work on adding talent ( positive)

Conclusion - Due to not having a top QB currently showing, many will pass on the job. That's just reality. Atlanta, SF, Chicago & Oakland all show a QB a new coach could work with. Manuel is a monster question mark. So our choices despite all the name guys may come down to a precious few.

Reich would probably be interested, due to his love of the team and area. Maybe a few other candidates, due to wanting the opportunity despite the QB issue. Reich could bring our old OL coach Joe D'Allessandris back with him. He was outsanding, IMO.
    Reich is light in the resume but can call plays and relate well to the players. That might be a good match for this roster. Plus being a QB could only help that unit and more will be added. I understand the concern but he's not as bad as many think. To say the players would love him would probably be a given. Happy players carry a winning mentality.

Open minded but the so called worries up until this point are invented. It's January with lots of work to do. Ignore the static and watch the progression. To be determined.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Press Has Gone All TMZ On The Bills - Comical, Yet Sad

Two points:

1. I don't give two craps about the other teams and what they have done or not done. My focus, and I think you'll agree, is solely on what the Bills have done. Thus far they've conducted and set up a ton of interviews and I commend the Pegula's for going through a true due diligence process. It's refreshing to see and I have no issue with the time its taking.

2. I will, however, take issue with the Pegula's if they continue to wait and make a decision to make drastic FO changes over the next few weeks. This week starts the All-Star circuit (Medal of Honor Bowl) which will last for the next month and is a crucial part of the draft evaluation process. If the rumors are true on the Shanny duo and we make large changes to our FO and scouting team in a week or two we are going to be behind the eight ball and playing catch up on draft philosophy, team needs, and prospect reports. Is it an impossible situation to overcome? No, but I don't like it when we have a GM, who I admit to liking a good bit, in the room who has been successful in making sound draft selections.

As far as the media goes, they are doing what they get paid to do. Draw interest, get ratings/page clicks.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

I think ANY of the people the Bills interviewed would take the Bills job in a heatbeat if offered to them.

But my hope is Schwartz is made HC. He is the person the Bills players WANT for the HC job.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

if the pegulas want a czar or a trusted name to build the team, that will impact the type of coach who will come here under uncertain terms.

but the coach is needed immediately as drafting and philosphies need to be squared away quickly.

they are in a tough spot. they never had a ted black type person on the day they took over the bills and seemt o be relying on brandon still. once they get over him, the rest of this will become very easy. i also think there is stuff they can learn from him in terms of seeing what not to do. and hopefully that's why he's along for the ride.

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          Two points:

1. I don't give two craps about the other teams and what they have done or not done. My focus, and I think you'll agree, is solely on what the Bills have done. Thus far they've conducted and set up a ton of interviews and I commend the Pegula's for going through a true due diligence process. It's refreshing to see and I have no issue with the time its taking.

2. I will, however, take issue with the Pegula's if they continue to wait and make a decision to make drastic FO changes over the next few weeks. This week starts the All-Star circuit (Medal of Honor Bowl) which will last for the next month and is a crucial part of the draft evaluation process. If the rumors are true on the Shanny duo and we make large changes to our FO and scouting team in a week or two we are going to be behind the eight ball and playing catch up on draft philosophy, team needs, and prospect reports. Is it an impossible situation to overcome? No, but I don't like it when we have a GM, who I admit to liking a good bit, in the room who has been successful in making sound draft selections.

As far as the media goes, they are doing what they get paid to do. Draw interest, get ratings/page clicks.
          Regarding your point number 2 I believe Whaley is going to stick around as GM. It has been previously reported that the GM will report directly to the Pegulas and the HC will report directly to the HC, the HC and GM will work together but not report to each other. As a result I hope this means Whaley is sticking around as his draft record has been good for awhile.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            Two points:

I suspect the Pegulas will keep Whaley around to be GM for this season as they did with Darcy Regier with the Sabres to prove himself. If he can't bring us to the playoffs in 2015 they then he's gone. Of course it could make things odd with a 1st year HC but they were willing to give up on Ron Rolston rather quickly.

Comment

• Strongman
              • Apr 2006

I hope the Pegulas spend this year evaluating the organization from top to bottom. I'm pretty sure that was going to be the job of Polian before he had a change of heart. I think this is a good thing because it means they are very serious about changing the Bills from a team more concerned about the bottom line to a club that wins championships. If this means they won't be competitive for a season or two, so be it. I also think they need to do a complete overhaul other than salvaging a few people who do a good job.

Comment

Working...
              X