X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Another Ding on Doug Whaley

I like Whaley's scouting ability, especially on defense (notice the Steelers haven't drafted an impact player of the Kiko's level since he left); pro-personnel evaluation is great, judging by, in most part, by the pre-season, in-season FAs he brought in.

We are completely in the dark as far as his head coaching philosophy (there were rumours he preferred Whisenhunt last go around). I'm sure he's connected, but experience wise the Marrone hiring was the first time he was involved in the process.

Trading wise, I think he's been taken. Watkins's trade, 2 1st PLUS a 4th? Stevie Johnson for a conditional 4th AFTER we paid him the big bonus? Then a 4th rounder that can be a 3rd round for a 3rd string Bryce Brown. Wow?

I bet he'll be a popular guy in the off season as a lot of GMs want to talk to him about deals.
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: Another Ding on Doug Whaley

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...ryce_brow.html

I like Whaley's scouting ability, especially on defense (notice the Steelers haven't drafted an impact player of the Kiko's level since he left); pro-personnel evaluation is great, judging by, in most part, by the pre-season, in-season FAs he brought in.

We are completely in the dark as far as his head coaching philosophy (there were rumours he preferred Whisenhunt last go around). I'm sure he's connected, but experience wise the Marrone hiring was the first time he was involved in the process.

Trading wise, I think he's been taken. Watkins's trade, 2 1st PLUS a 4th? Stevie Johnson for a conditional 4th AFTER we paid him the big bonus? Then a 4th rounder that can be a 3rd round for a 3rd string Bryce Brown. Wow?

I bet he'll be a popular guy in the off season as a lot of GMs want to talk to him about deals.
    He should be demoted to scout.

He's not a GM. He's a sucker.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

1 first round pick. they swapped the other.

without knowing how arrogant marrone was about who to use, bryce brown is a hard pick to decipher. it was sure nice to have him when we didn't have CJ and Fred. however, they never gave any of these guys a chance to find a groove. brown is a fumbler, but a lot of GM's and coaches feel like they can fix that.

whaley is darcy to me. he's been handcuffed a lot by brandon and the orgnaization. as they let some of the frustrating pieces go away, can he step up? no one has poached him and he's patiently waited for his chance, which is odd. but he did build that defense as much as he bungled the offense. give him a chance to get it right and can him if he can't.

but get the brandon effect away from him and leave the coaching choice squarely on whaley's shoulders so you know what you have in whaley. he isn't as bad as we think and he isn't that proven either.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

I guess what basically happened was that the Bills traded Stevie Johnson for Bryce Brown, in effect?

Comment

• Edward Robinson
          • Apr 2013

Funny how omit the fact that we basically stole Hughes from the colts, got excellent value for Kiko Alonzo in the second round round while hedging his bet on EJ Manuel. Let's not also forget bringing in a good returner in Thigpen who won us a game along with Barcardi Rambo and good pickup

Being a GM is not perfect. Its just like trading stocks. You win some you lose some as long at the end of the month or year you are up that is the goal.
          Last edited by Edward Robinson; 01-06-2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Who brought in Dan Carpenter?

Because that was a stroke of genius.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Not to mention Preston Brown this year, and finding a starting RT in round 7

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

Ryan Shazier was a VERY impactful rookie LB for the Steelers until his injury, he is going to be a pro bowl player going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Ryan Shazier was a VERY impactful rookie LB for the Steelers until his injury, he is going to be a pro bowl player going forward.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                  • Mar 2006

And Schmidt. Our kicking game was a life saver with the shot offense.
                  Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

The Brown pick was a fourth, and would not have become a third unless Brown went off like a bomb.

He also brought in Williams, who IMO was an extremely good pickup, for a 6th rounder. From where I'm sitting, Marrone screwed Whaley rather than the other way around.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

Some flaws in this. He traded Stevie for a 4th in 2015 that could become a third. He traded a 2015 4th for Bryce brown, since we already gave our 2015 4th to Cleveland it could be the 49ners 4th or a 2016 bills 4th. Now what you are not including in the trading aspect is the Jerry Hughes trade, and if you want to dump EJ on him then he needs to get credit for moving down which enabled us to get Kiko. Additionally, if you take picks 9, 19, and the 4th (whatever number) it adds up to pick number 3 so you can argue how bad he got beat or not. Personally I think we have a very good player and that player is better than anyone we could have drafted at 19. Coupled with the fact this is a bad QB draft and could be much worse of Winston stays in school, meaning 19 would not have solved our problems or given us enough resources to position ourselves to solve our problem. Additionally grading the trade after one year is crazy, we need to see what these 14 wrs do for a few more years and need to also see what the 19th and 4th round picks equate too.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Edward Robinson View Post
                        Funny how omit the fact that we basically stole Hughes from the colts, got excellent value for Kiko Alonzo in the second round round while hedging his bet on EJ Manuel. Let's not also forget bringing in a good returner in Thigpen who won us a game along with Barcardi Rambo and good pickup

Being a GM is not perfect. Its just like trading stocks. You win some you lose some as long at the end of the month or year you are up that is the goal.
                        well said. Anyone care to see if the patriots hit on all their picks and trades? BB is actually not that good with drafting. He just knows how to coach.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                          I guess what basically happened was that the Bills traded Stevie Johnson for Bryce Brown, in effect?
                          Pretty much so. So we gave up a 3rd WR for a 3rd RB but both could step up and be number 2s with more playing time. Yet I'd say Stevie offers a slightly higher ceiling but then again he is older. All things considered I think we did okay on the trades but think our offense would have been better with Stevie in 2014 vs Brown but it's hard to say. Also let's not forget we also tried to trade to get "Carlos Hyde" too but I can't remember what it would have cost us to get him vs what we gave up for Brown.
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                            Some flaws in this. He traded Stevie for a 4th in 2015 that could become a third. He traded a 2015 4th for Bryce brown, since we already gave our 2015 4th to Cleveland it could be the 49ners 4th or a 2016 bills 4th.
                            The Brown pick could have become a 3rd rounder as well, but neither Johnson nor Brown hit whatever conditions would have triggered it.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

We know Whaley is good at drafting linebackers. It is everything else that is a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X