PDA

View Full Version : ragging on marrone, we are forgetting orton

trapezeus
01-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Orton was a likable figure when you were rooting for him during the year. but seeing how it all played out in the end and when and how he retired...he really just came off like a temp worker. didn't care, just wanted to get paid. that slide in denver was telling.

He never really seemed to care one way or the other. it seems like he never wanted that chance to be a starting qb, he wanted to collect two years at $5MM. and the idea of playing another season was too much.

that kind of sucks. usually the journeyman always wants to prove he's better than what people have him pegged for. rarely do they end up being exactly who we thought they might be. hired help.

imbondz
01-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Totally disagree. Orton retired to be with his family, played 10 years, was done. He gave us a serviceable year that was going downhill fast. I enjoyed his play a million times better than EJ's. Have no problem with Orton retiring. That slide sucked tho, but if I was behind that O-line, i'd want to save my arse too.

Later
01-06-2015, 12:37 PM
I would lay off Orton. Hired gun or not, he provided the best qb play we've had since Flutie, basically. (Some will argue Fitzpatrick, who was good at leading us to 6-10 records.)

Joe Fo Sho
01-06-2015, 12:39 PM
I disagree, too.

Watch his demeanor early in the season, during the Lions game or the Vikings game. He was quite emotional, especially during the dramatic wins. I think the season just wore on him. I don't know if that's because of the physical toll his body was taking or if it had anything to do with all of the stories that have come out about Marrone since he quit.

We convinced the guy to come out of retirement, can't blame him for going back. We knew the risk.

Novacane
01-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Why would I be mad at him. I'm glad he retired. After the first couple games he was awful. We won despite him.

Ingtar33
01-06-2015, 12:53 PM
zero blame.

he was retired before the season started. it's not like he opted out just to play for another team. he retired again. let the man enjoy life without football. no need to kick him out the door.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Was Orton Jim Kelly? No. Was he Drew Bledsoe, a decent qb who was an NFL calibre starter who you could trust to manage the game and not lose one? Yes. Hackett, a pourous OL, and if its to be believed Marrone limited our O a lot more than Orton did. Orton against Detroit and Minnesota showed balls and did what it took to win. The Kansas City game proved that Hackett and Marrone were responsible. My God four straight pass attempts? ****, why not a run, or some sort of gadget play? I mean it could have backfired, but Orton was the victim --as this team was -- of pussyfooted play calling.

Pinkerton Security
01-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Totally disagree. I will never blame any NFL player for retiring while they are still healthy to spend time with their families. Look at players like Junior Seau, Jim McMahon, etc who have all sorts of issues with health after their career is over.

Plus, Orton was just OK. Better than EJ obviously, but obviously not capable of taking us to the promised land.

SpikedLemonade
01-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Orton was a likable figure when you were rooting for him during the year. but seeing how it all played out in the end and when and how he retired...he really just came off like a temp worker. didn't care, just wanted to get paid. that slide in denver was telling.

He never really seemed to care one way or the other. it seems like he never wanted that chance to be a starting qb, he wanted to collect two years at $5MM. and the idea of playing another season was too much.

that kind of sucks. usually the journeyman always wants to prove he's better than what people have him pegged for. rarely do they end up being exactly who we thought they might be. hired help.

That was exactly his attitude.

Glad to have him in there rather than EJ for the season, but he was a self-serving mercenary who never intended to be part of this team for long.

Joe Fo Sho
01-06-2015, 03:11 PM
That was exactly his attitude.

Glad to have him in there rather than EJ for the season, but he was a self-serving mercenary who never intended to be part of this team for long.

Did anyone think he'd be here for long? We had to drag him out of retirement by waving $5 million in his face. If he wanted to play football, we probably wouldn't have had to offer him so much money.

trapezeus
01-06-2015, 03:33 PM
i don't mean to piss on orton, i'm just saying there is some criticism. he never really was a leader. he played a few servicable games. but in the denver game, had he laid out for a first down, the team gets a boost. the momentum never came from him. he just trotted out there.

so i get what the people are saying when they disagree. and i'll give you that he didn't run to another team, he did us a favor, and was better than EJ. Agreed.

however, if he could have kicked it up a notch and just taken over from a playcalling (audibling standpoint) or be a leader by showing some level of passion, they could have maybe got that 1-2 wins that they needed.

This was the first year the bills never really got smoked in any game. a lot of wins and losses could have gone the other way. i just look at the cardinals, and they got to the playoffs with worse QB play and a lesser defense in a harder division. obviously that speaks volumes in the diference between the coaches. but if a bunch of journey men could keep Arizona in it, orton should have been able to.

and the way he retired without telling the team and tweeting it, really says how little he cared in the back end when it seemed like the team really was fighting for its life.

justasportsfan
01-06-2015, 03:59 PM
I disagree with the OP.

I thought he tried his best to see if he could still do it.

Marv was right though, "once you start thinking about retirement, you're basically retired. My guess is Orton wanted to see if he still could play at the level he had when the threw for 4k yards.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't blame Orton for retiring, but I am happy he did.

I disagree he played all that much better than EJ & IMO EJ was more fun to watch.

EJ had the ability to scramble out of harms way which Orton did not.

And NO, Orton was no more accurate than EJ was.

swiper
01-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Why would I be mad at him. I'm glad he retired. After the first couple games he was awful. We won despite him.

You have to realize that the megalomaniac (AKA Doug Marrone) was calling the shots. We are hearing it now. Hackett was held back. Orton regressed because of Marrone. Marrone ruined the O-line because he didn't want to teach the players Whaley drafted so as to make Whaley look bad. ***** Doug Marrone and the horse he rode in on. FIRE Russ Brandon for hiring this Syracuse POS.

swiper
01-06-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't blame Orton for retiring, but I am happy he did.

I disagree he played all that much better than EJ & IMO EJ was more fun to watch.

EJ had the ability to scramble out of harms way which Orton did not.

And NO, Orton was no more accurate than EJ was.

Well, again, you show that you are an idiot.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Well, again, you show that you are an idiot.

FU. You are one of the biggest IDIOTS on this board.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
I'd still like to know if he bailed because he didn't want to put in another year dealing with ****ing morons like Marrone and Hackett.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and play nice, you two.

Buffalogic
01-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Orton had pretty amazing stats for the situation he came in to. EJ's two losses cost us the playoffs. Orton did his job. EJ didn't.

better days
01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Orton had pretty amazing stats for the situation he came in to. EJ's two losses cost us the playoffs. Orton did his job. EJ didn't.

The Bills were a .500 team when EJ was benched.

He did not cost the Bills the playoffs.

Orton losing to the Chiefs, Fins & RAIDERS is what cost the Bills the playoffs.

swiper
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
FU. You are one of the biggest IDIOTS on this board.

LOL. You need to look into the mirror before speaking.

Buffalogic
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Orton losing to the Chiefs, Fins & RAIDERS is what cost the Bills the playoffs.You are dumb. Orton was better than .500.

swiper
01-06-2015, 05:16 PM

Orton losing to the Chiefs, Fins & RAIDERS is what cost the Bills the playoffs.

STFU. Then go ask yourself, why was Manuel benched. ANS: it was because he sucks.

swiper
01-06-2015, 05:17 PM
You are dumb. Orton was better than .500.

LOL. Thanks for pointing out the obvious the butter nuts.

better days
01-06-2015, 05:20 PM
You are dumb. Orton was better than .500.

REALLY? One game over .500 which was a GIMMIE win from the Pats* who sat out MANY starters for much of the game including Gronk who didn't play a down.

There were 12 games left to play when Orton took over.

You have NO logic.

better days
01-06-2015, 05:23 PM
LOL. Thanks for pointing out the obvious the butter nuts.

Only an IDIOT would think Orton is better than a .500 QB.

swiper
01-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Only an IDIOT would think Orton is better than a .500 QB.

Dear Bills Zone Mental ****** Extraordinaire:

FACT: He was 7-5.

better days
01-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Dear Bills Zone Mental ****** Extraordinaire:

FACT: He was 7-5.

Only an IDIOT would think Orton had a snowballs chance in hell of winning the game against the Pats* if it meant ANYTHING at all to them.

Yeah, in the record books Orton & Marrone get credit for that win.

Big friggen deal. It came after Marrone, Orton & the Bills LOST to a team that only won TWO games all season before that game to knock the Bills out of the playoffs.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
If you two don't cut this out immediately, and by that I mean RIGHT NOW, I'm turning this car around and you can spend the rest of the off season in your rooms.

Mace
01-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Orton was pretty much Orton and the best Orton, Orton could be, the o-line was not good to protect a statue, it didn't look like Marronehackett chnged the generic offense any to account for him, there was no running game, and the receivers experienced in the offense looked about as lost as he did without the experience most often.

I'm glad he helped us to the first winning record in a while, was a part of the fun of beating Green Bay, and behaved himself well enough to gain us a first win in Gillette (which busted a NE streak of 30 conference game wins there). Yeah, he was a mercenary, but we were the ones coaxed him to come fight for us.

I'm thinking 2004/2005 unfortunately (9-7 to 5-11) and am not so sure it gets better next year.

Orton being Orton was still the best QB we've had here since Bledsoe, and in the end, was still pretty much Kyle Orton. I'd buy him a beer and thank him for the fun.

Night Train
01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Orton was like a horse that has a 3 length lead on the turn and hits the finish line 15 lengths behind the winner, staggering...

better days
01-06-2015, 06:40 PM
If you two don't cut this out immediately, and by that I mean RIGHT NOW, I'm turning this car around and you can spend the rest of the off season in your rooms.

But dad, SHE started it.

better days
01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Orton was pretty much Orton and the best Orton, Orton could be, the o-line was not good to protect a statue, it didn't look like Marronehackett chnged the generic offense any to account for him, there was no running game, and the receivers experienced in the offense looked about as lost as he did without the experience most often.

I'm glad he helped us to the first winning record in a while, was a part of the fun of beating Green Bay, and behaved himself well enough to gain us a first win in Gillette (which busted a NE streak of 30 conference game wins there). Yeah, he was a mercenary, but we were the ones coaxed him to come fight for us.

I'm thinking 2004/2005 unfortunately (9-7 to 5-11) and am not so sure it gets better next year.

Orton being Orton was still the best QB we've had here since Bledsoe, and in the end, was still pretty much Kyle Orton. I'd buy him a beer and thank him for the fun.

As much as I HATED watching that INEPT Marrone offense, I have to admit it was more fun than watching the Jauron Bills

TacklingDummy
01-06-2015, 09:24 PM
The only reason the Bills won 9 games this year is because of the defense and special teams.

djjimkelly
01-06-2015, 10:46 PM
orton sucked

he was the choice of a loser coach who i truly think is the worst HC we have ever had.

orton can have fun in his retirement ill be glad to never hear about him again

swiper
01-07-2015, 03:50 AM
But dad, SHE started it.

No Nancy, you did. Spewing stupidity as per your norm.

better days
01-07-2015, 08:13 AM
No Nancy, you did. Spewing stupidity as per your norm.

BS you started it IDIOT.

Forward_Lateral
01-07-2015, 09:27 AM
How are either one of those two morons allowed to post here anymore