PDA

View Full Version : Vic Caruci Tweet

DesertFox24
01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
He just tweeted a link about what Doug Whaley is telling candidates, I unfortunately cannot open at work and was hoping someone could copy the article or provide a cliff notes, or where this article is at. Thanks in advance

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
In other developments related to the coaching search, an league source says that Bills General Manager Doug Whaley, who is leading the search process for club owners Terry and Kim Pegula, has spoken in glowing terms to candidates about quarterback EJ Manuel. The source said that Whaley is making it clear he wants the new coach to make the progress in developing Manuel, the Bills' first-round draft pick in 2013, that former coach Doug Marrone and his staff never made.
Manuel, who started 10 games as a rookie before suffering a season-ending injury, was benched after four games last season and replaced by veteran Kyle Orton, who retired the day after the season ended.
Meanwhile, the News has learned that all of Marrone's former Bills assistant coaches still have contracts with the club that run through the 2015 season and are not allowed to seek other jobs until a new head coach is hired and determines which of the assistants he wishes to retain.

So Whaley is still all in on Manuel, I guess.

Joe Fo Sho
01-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Whaley is telling candidates that developing EJ is to be a top priority.

Also says that our assistants are under contract and can't seek other positions, unless it's an upward move. The new coach will determine which assistants he wants to keep.

bleve
01-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Ugh. It made me puke.

league source says that Bills General Manager Doug Whaley, who is leading the search process for club owners Terry and Kim Pegula, has spoken in glowing terms to candidates about quarterback EJ Manuel. The source said that Whaley is making it clear he wants the new coach to make the progress in developing Manuel, the Bills' first-round draft pick in 2013, that former coach Doug Marrone and his staff never made.

What coach is going to want to bank his future on EJ? Doug is tying one hand behind their back before they're even hired.

Dr. Who
01-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Ha! Yes, just 'Ha!'

psubills62
01-06-2015, 01:47 PM
What did people expect him to say? "By the way, you'll be coming into a crap situation at QB, so brace yourself."

DesertFox24
01-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Well hopefully Whaley is also saying that we will sign a FA QB and will look to draft a rookie as well, but he wants a guy who is not going to just give up on Manual and give him a fair shake. I really do not have a problem with this. I highly doubt EJ would beat out a decent vet QB so it will all be a moot point, but I do think it would be terrible if we just give up on the guy after 14 games and do not even try to make him an average QB of the likes of Dalton or Alex Smith, that is all we need with this team.

BertSquirtgum
01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
He just tweeted a link about what Doug Whaley is telling candidates, I unfortunately cannot open at work and was hoping someone could copy the article or provide a cliff notes, or where this article is at. Thanks in advance

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/06/bills-interview-least-4-coach-candidates-end-week/

"Beginning with today's meeting with Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, the Buffalo Bills will interview at least four head-coaching candidates by week's end, the Buffalo News has confirmed.

On Thursday, the Bills are scheduled to visit with Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, son of former NFL coach Mike Shanahan, whom the Bills interviewed Sunday.
The News also has confirmed they have interviews planned this week with Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin and Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.
That's in addition to the five candidates with whom they met over the weekend -- Mike Shanahan, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich, Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, and Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.
It's still unknown when the Bills plan to interview their defensive coordinator, Jim Schwartz, for the head-coaching job.
It's conceivable the Bills would hire both Shanahans. However, in that scenario, Mike would be the head coach and Kyle would be the offensive coordinator, presuming something could be worked out with the Browns for him to do something that isn't normally allowed by the NFL -- make a lateral move to another team.
In other developments related to the coaching search, a league source says that Bills General Manager Doug Whaley, who is leading the search process for club owners Terry and Kim Pegula, has spoken in glowing terms to candidates about quarterback EJ Manuel. The source said that Whaley is making it clear he wants the new coach to make the progress in developing Manuel, the Bills' first-round draft pick in 2013, that former coach Doug Marrone and his staff never made.
Manuel, who started 10 games as a rookie before suffering a season-ending injury, was benched after four games last season and replaced by veteran Kyle Orton, who retired the day after the season ended.
Meanwhile, the News has learned that all of Marrone's former Bills assistant coaches still have contracts with the club that run through the 2015 season and are not allowed to arbitrarily seek other jobs -- beyond upward moves -- until a new head coach is hired and determines which of the assistants he wishes to retain."

whkfc
01-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Do they really have any choice but to be committed to EJ at least this year they have no 1st rd pick and the FA group is worse than EJ. All they can do is talk up how hard EJ works and try to sell him on potential candidates. I'm sure they will sign another vet but nobody great.

coastal
01-06-2015, 01:57 PM
What a ****ing joke.

Dr. Who
01-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Either EJ will develop into a good qb or the team will draft one in 2016. They should get a vet. No one stands out. I would trade for Glennon if the price wasn't too high. It probably won't be after the Bucs take Mariotta (if they are smart) or Winston (if they're not.)

Night Train
01-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Whaley is saying to give him an actual chance, while going out and getting a couple others to make camp competitive.

He is not trying to force Manuel down anyones throat. Come on now. Manuel should have been playing near the end of the season and maybe the Raiders game would have turned out different. Orton was brutal down the stretch.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2015, 02:09 PM
I still hold out hope for EJ. My biggest concern is about the confidence of teamates.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2015, 02:14 PM
No sorry Whaley. You obviously are disconnected from reality. EJ Manuel has shown time and again that he is not ready for the NFL. I think it would be better for Whaley to pimp the greatness of the defense, the fact that we have a solid receiving and running back committee, and that with a tweak or two on the front wall, an upgrade at qb, and some smart coaching this team --far from being a dumpster fire -- is literally a couple steps away from making a run at a superbowl. IF Whaley is deciding who will be the coach based mainly on their commitment to staying with EJ he needs to go because that is sort of like J Bruce Ismay deciding who the next captain in the White Star Line will be solely on their commitment to the RMS Titanic.

BuffaloRedleg
01-06-2015, 02:17 PM
What did people expect him to say? "By the way, you'll be coming into a crap situation at QB, so brace yourself."

"We will give you all the tools at our disposal to acquire a starting QB in this league."

Joe Fo Sho
01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
"We will give you all the tools at our disposal to acquire a starting QB in this league."

Pfffft.

You probably want the Bills to pay for this guys lodging during away games, too.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2015, 02:24 PM

I would honestly promote how ****ing sweet the defense, special teams, backs, and receivers you are inheriting are, and really all you need to do is either develop or bring in a QB and work on the front wall and you have the possibility of instantaneous success.

RedEyE
01-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I don't see a problem with that. There is a lot invested in EJ and he basically was never developed as a QB on this team until 1/3 of the way through this season.

Remember he was also thrown to the wolves last year without a QB coach. This year he had a coach and a vet to learn through. Solid coaching could do much for his confidence.

And I don't believe anyone is saying that another QB won't be brought in. I think, instead, it means EJ isn't being let go. And if you look at the viable FAs and truly gauge the Bills opportunity to draft a decent young QB, you realize that there is a large chance that EJ might be starting next season.

Do not confuse his words as a vote of confidence for EJ. You have to read Vic's comments from an unbiased perspective..

psubills62
01-06-2015, 02:35 PM
What tools? We've all talked about the options, there simply isn't anyone out there, unless there's someone they love going later in the draft. If there's someone they think will truly help the team, I'd guess they'll look to sign/trade for/draft him. Whaley has shown he's not afraid of doing any of that.

Watch actions, not words. Going out and getting Orton a couple weeks before the season starts isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Manuel.

sukie
01-06-2015, 02:37 PM
developing doesn't necessarily mean starting the guy.

Albany,n.y.
01-06-2015, 02:40 PM
This is turning into 2006 all over again. Coach who benched 2nd year 1st round QB in a desperation move to save his job doesn't like front office changes & quits, new coach has no choice but to play never will be 1st round QB in said QB's 3rd season. New coach doesn't make playoffs but wins enough games to prevent the team from getting a top draft choice. QB benched in coach's 2nd year & fades into oblivion. How's EJ going to look on the sidelines with a JP beard? It's coming.

WagonCircler
01-06-2015, 03:06 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generalissimus Gibby
01-06-2015, 03:11 PM

Good answer, in fact it came in number three. However Double Facepalm and facepalm were the number one and number two answers. :D However, you are right I have to say F you to Whaley. He and Brandon really need to go.

swiper
01-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Carucci's report also says that Doug Whaley is telling all the candidates that EJ Manuel is doing very well and spoke of him in high regard. He also let the candidates know that progessing his development will be a high priority for whoever the new coach is.

This should be the nail in Whaley's coffin. If he's saying this, he needs to be fired immediatley. Take Brandon with you please.

Get EJ Manuel the hell out of Buffalo. Or you will see another five years of futility. Guaranteed.

trapezeus
01-06-2015, 03:28 PM
not a problem if they say, "we want one year for this guy to get a chance. and if it isn't there, it isn't there. but we don't want to bail immediately"

it kind of doubles down again for whaley to make ej the guy...and if it doesn't work, whaley's gone and a czar is brought in.

it really is hard to put this on pegula. the bills are a hot mess and the bills are trying to fix it somewhat methodically. but due to timing, bad contracts, top candidates not taking the gig, they have to work with what they got in the short term. just like the sabres, i think this means, it will be a slow churn to work all the crap out. but hopefully it's worth it.

sadly in my mind, i don't think this defense is going to get a crack at getting to the playoffs. they'll try to build a team better, but the defense will age out and they'll start over as the o starts to gell under EJ or another drafted qb this year or next. then they'll scramble to put a d together.

swiper
01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Whaley is saying to give him an actual chance, while going out and getting a couple others to make camp competitive.

He is not trying to force Manuel down anyones throat. Come on now. Manuel should have been playing near the end of the season and maybe the Raiders game would have turned out different. Orton was brutal down the stretch.

HOW, TF, do you know WHAT he said. You don't. So stop projecting magical thoughts.

Famous Amos
01-06-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't see a problem with that. There is a lot invested in EJ and he basically was never developed as a QB on this team until 1/3 of the way through this season.

Remember he was also thrown to the wolves last year without a QB coach. This year he had a coach and a vet to learn through. Solid coaching could do much for his confidence.

And I don't believe anyone is saying that another QB won't be brought in. I think, instead, it means EJ isn't being let go. And if you look at the viable FAs and truly gauge the Bills opportunity to draft a decent young QB, you realize that there is a large chance that EJ might be starting next season.

Do not confuse his words as a vote of confidence for EJ. You have to read Vic's comments from an unbiased perspective..

To me, it's not saying, "start EJ right away. Do what ever you can to make him an all pro." No, it means to develop him, which could absolutely mean, "we'll bring in a vet for EJ to play behind, but your main objective it to get Manuel ready in 2-3 years." That means keep progressing as a whole team, improve the offense, and put EJ in a position to succeed. That also means to coach to players' talents rather than having the player adapt to the system.

swiper
01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Wait a minute. Wasn't Whaley the guy that brought in Orton?

Is he being told to say that by the Pegulas?

k-oneputt
01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Manuel really. We are screwed then.
If defense plays lights out again we might go 8-8.

Strongman
01-06-2015, 03:36 PM
They have sunk too much into EJ already. If Whaley is trying to use EJ as a selling point to a HC, then we are only going to get 3rd tier candidates who are has beens or unproven coordinators.

WagonCircler
01-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Every bit of goodwill and warm fuzzy feeling I had when Pegula bought the team just went out the window.

Should have just let the God damn team move to Toronto.

Five more years of ****.

This ****ing sucks.

BertSquirtgum
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Went from one cheap meddling owner to rich another meddling owner. Weak sauce.

trapezeus
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
maybe someone says, "fine, but if it isn't coming along by week6 and i'm in it, i'm going to another candidate, and if the year ends, i won't take any heat for a losing record. we start fresh and i get to opine on who i want"

i think people are right. that means a lot of the better candidates won't take that job. but to be honest, a lot of good candidates want a high draft pick this year to start fresh with their guy, or they want a team that has a good qb that seeming underperforms. the matt ryan, cutler, kaepernick, teams are a little more interesting because you think you can fix them. the bucs and the jets are interesting because you can get 1 of the top 2 qbs in the draft.

the bills have EJ who looks to be like any journeyman. some good games, some bad games, but can't really take over a game. and there is no one in free agency. So that has to be irritating that you can't get a decent qb who needs help and you can't draft a high pick. therefore, you are in a rebuild and will you get time to see that through.

justasportsfan
01-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Oh relax people. The conversation could have gone, "what do you think about EJ and do you think you can develop him or do think he can thrive on the system you plan to bring in?' Its a valid question to ask any coach because EJ is the only qb we have.You want to get their perspective on what they would want to do with the players that are already on the team.

I'd also like to know if the knew coach knows how to develop the young OL.

I wouldnt be surprised if Vic is reading too much into it or taking what was said and dramatizing it because that what they do.

swiper
01-06-2015, 03:44 PM
This is a VERY depressing thread.

Famous Amos
01-06-2015, 03:46 PM
They have sunk too much into EJ already. If Whaley is trying to use EJ as a selling point to a HC, then we are only going to get 3rd tier candidates who are has beens or unproven coordinators.

That could say something about the supposed top tier guys; they aren't up for the challenge. They just want the guaranteed success.

swiper
01-06-2015, 03:46 PM
maybe someone says, "fine, but if it isn't coming along by week6 and i'm in it, i'm going to another candidate, and if the year ends, i won't take any heat for a losing record. we start fresh and i get to opine on who i want"

i think people are right. that means a lot of the better candidates won't take that job. but to be honest, a lot of good candidates want a high draft pick this year to start fresh with their guy, or they want a team that has a good qb that seeming underperforms. the matt ryan, cutler, kaepernick, teams are a little more interesting because you think you can fix them. the bucs and the jets are interesting because you can get 1 of the top 2 qbs in the draft.

the bills have EJ who looks to be like any journeyman. some good games, some bad games, but can't really take over a game. and there is no one in free agency. So that has to be irritating that you can't get a decent qb who needs help and you can't draft a high pick. therefore, you are in a rebuild and will you get time to see that through.

Stop.

Show me a good game.

There isn't one. Not one where he actually had a "good" game. Only a couple where he got lucky not to lose the game.

Typ0
01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Sad.

DraftBoy
01-06-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm confused about what people want him to say exactly? We are a team with no first round pick in a bad QB class with slim to none options of adding a talented QB via FA. We invested a first round pick in Manual. He wasn't going to get cut before camp and I think every single one of us would love to see him become even average and Dilfer us to the playoffs. It's only natural that he's going to pitch Manual that way. Still going to be the HC call about who starts in 2015.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Even though he refused to play him, Marrone admitted EJ IMPROVED since he was benched.

Marrone said; he has done it in practice but he has to show he can do it in a real game.

Well, DUH. How can he show it in a game unless he is allowed to PLAY in a game?

Marrone refused to play him in the last MEANINGLESS game of the season.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Stop.

Show me a good game.

There isn't one. Not one where he actually had a "good" game. Only a couple where he got lucky not to lose the game.

Yeah, EJ has had good games in both the NFL & in College. He WON bowl games for FSU.

He won the Senior Bowl. And EJ was the BEST QB in that game for either team.

I am sick & tired of idiots on this board that cite Fla State Fans claims of EJ's play as if they were NFL GM's.

They are NOT that. They are FANS of a COLLEGE team.

k-oneputt
01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Yeah fans who know more then the front office for the last dozen years, and that is the problem.

k-oneputt
01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
By you talking about EJ winning the Senior Bowl and beating an overmatched N. Illinois tells me what I need to know.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Yeah fans who know more then the front office for the last dozen years, and that is the problem.

Like Jim Mora said, "You THINK you know but you DON"T know."

k-oneputt
01-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Really.

Do we need to go through the last dozen years of draft picks, coaches, and front office mistakes.

Don't need to know much to be a step ahead of that.

Don't Panic
01-06-2015, 04:33 PM
You bridge jumpers make me laugh.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't have a problem with it. He should be saying the same thing about the offensive line, too. "We've got some young guys on the offensive side of the ball that we've invested in and unfortunately were coached by ****-for-brains...one of the qualities we're looking for is somebody that believes they have the skill to possibly develop this talent."

If there is one thing nobody should doubt about Whaley is he is aggressive, and continuously, looking to upgrade the talent on the roster.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Really.

Do we need to go through the last dozen years of draft picks, coaches, and front office mistakes.

Don't need to know much to be a step ahead of that.

No question the front office 10 years ago was BAD.

But this is 2015.

Whaley has been GM for ONE draft.

And if anyone wants to give Whaley "credit" for the EJ pick, fine.

But the Bills also drafted Kiko in that draft with a pick they traded for.

And Kiko looks like a BETTER pick than MANY teams first rnd picks.

Only an IDIOT would TRY to blame Whaley for what happened 12 years ago.

WagonCircler
01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
This is it for me.

Not kidding.

If we start next season with Brandon and Whaley still here and EJ ****ING Manuel as our starting QB, I will stop watching the NFL.

It will be clear that Terry Pegula is either a liar or a fool. Neither one is worth supporting.

Same old ****. Same old Bills.

Apparently drafting in the mid-first round every year is the responsibility every pro sports owner has to his team's fans.

Except we don't even have that to look forward to.

better days
01-06-2015, 04:42 PM
This is it for me.

Not kidding.

If we start next season with Brandon and Whaley still here and EJ ****ING Manuel as our starting QB, I will stop watching the NFL.

It will be clear that Terry Pegula is either a liar or a fool. Neither one is worth supporting.

Apparently drafting in the mid-first round every year is the responsibility every pro sports owner has to his team's fans.

So, are you going to continue to post on this board even though you no longer will be watching the NFL?

jamze132
01-06-2015, 04:46 PM
So basically because there is absolutely no other options at QB either through FA or the draft, he's pimping his kid... I bet our coaching list significantly dwindles as each prospective HC sees right through Whaley's BS.

We'll either overpay for a old timer HC or get the last remaining coordinator with no prior experience. I'm psyched.

WagonCircler
01-06-2015, 04:56 PM
So, are you going to continue to post on this board even though you no longer will be watching the NFL?

Probably, just to annoy you.

This organization is pathetic.

better days
01-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Probably, just to annoy you.

This organization is pathetic.

I have no doubt you will continue to post & I have no doubt you will continue to watch the NFL & the Bills as well.

I don't really want you to stop posting, even though you annoy me at times.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 05:01 PM
If there is a candidate interviewing that honestly believes there is going to be a QB available in this draft or especially FA class that is going to worth a ****, I don't want him coaching my team.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 05:02 PM
"Hey, if I get the job, we really should go after Sanchez. He has a QBR in the top 15 in the league, you know."

Yeah..."NEXT!"

swiper
01-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Like Jim Mora said, "You THINK you know but you DON"T know."

That should be your personal mantra.

swiper
01-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I have no doubt you will continue to post & I have no doubt you will continue to watch the NFL & the Bills as well.

I don't really want you to stop posting, even though you annoy me at times.

Who gives a **** if they annoy an abortion?

better days
01-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Who gives a **** if they annoy an abortion?

So you are annoyed.

I guess nobody gives a crap.

OLDSRIP
01-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Well hopefully Whaley is also saying that we will sign a FA QB and will look to draft a rookie as well, but he wants a guy who is not going to just give up on Manual and give him a fair shake. I really do not have a problem with this. I highly doubt EJ would beat out a decent vet QB so it will all be a moot point, but I do think it would be terrible if we just give up on the guy after 14 games and do not even try to make him an average QB of the likes of Dalton or Alex Smith, that is all we need with this team.

Thats how I feel. It's only a problem if Whaley is saying they have to start EJ. And if they don't pick up a vet of some sort.

Mace
01-06-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm confused about what people want him to say exactly? We are a team with no first round pick in a bad QB class with slim to none options of adding a talented QB via FA. We invested a first round pick in Manual. He wasn't going to get cut before camp and I think every single one of us would love to see him become even average and Dilfer us to the playoffs. It's only natural that he's going to pitch Manual that way. Still going to be the HC call about who starts in 2015.

Well fair enough. I guess I'm thinking he needs say nothing pro or con, because a coach is either going to see someone win a job using his system or not win a job based on that coaches evaluation.

We're not talking about the words of a godlike GM here, and he's talking to guys who watch tape, evaluate and use players for a living. They should be able to know better than Whaley does when they see the guy on the field and try to use him anyway.

Manuel may well have his best days ahead of him, and Manuel may not ever make it. That's up to your coach and what Manuel can do in his offense, or what he can do with Manuel, you don't need or want to tell the guy you are trying to hire anything about it. It's either going to work or not for coach & Manuel. None of these guys should be missing the significance of where we drafted him or we shouldn't be interviewing them.

It's up to the candidate to say what he can do with the best resources on hand, and if he has no idea one of them is going to be Manuel, we're headed in the wrong direction. I don't even see how it's debatable.

Novacane
01-06-2015, 06:40 PM
This is it for me.

Not kidding.

I bet you won't

YardRat
01-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Anybody worth a damn would've already watched at least a little bit of film on EJ and been able to participate in a discussion regarding his strengths and weaknesses, floor and ceiling, etc and be able to posit a response regarding his potential development during the interview. If they didn't, I don't want them, either.

BillsImpossible
01-06-2015, 08:06 PM
"Stand By Your Man."

Doug Whaley is doing his best impression of Patsy Cline, and now I'm officially worried.

EJ Manuel often missed wide open receivers in training camp.

Doug Marrone did his best to, "control the message," coming out of training camp but he couldn't cover up the fact that EJ Manuel is a terribly inaccurate NFL passer even without defensive players laying a hand on him.

Doug Whaley's all in approach on EJ Manuel is going to turn a lot of head coaching candidates off.

So be it. His job is on the line, and if the Bills tank in 2015, Whaley and Manuel will be gone.

Frank Reich is the only man available who is willing to take such a leap of faith.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 08:13 PM
LOL...this 'all-in' on EJ is one of the more ridiculous accusations that have grown legs. If Whaley was 'all-in', he would have told both Marrone and Orton to **** off before the season started.

BillsImpossible
01-06-2015, 08:26 PM
LOL...this 'all-in' on EJ is one of the more ridiculous accusations that have grown legs. If Whaley was 'all-in', he would have told both Marrone and Orton to **** off before the season started.

He did tell Marrone and the idea of signing Orton to F Off before the season started!

Whaley traded up for Sammy Watkins in the 1st round, and Marrone stormed out of the room saying, "Merry $u(kin' Christmas!"

John Doe
01-06-2015, 08:39 PM
"Stand By Your Man."

Doug Whaley is doing his best impression of Patsy Cline, and now I'm officially worried.

It was Tammy Wynette, not Patsy Cline.

WagonCircler
01-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Bull****.

The only thing that could make Whaley look worse than EJ being benched would have been EJ playing.

All of this EJ bull****, from adding Watkins to "make EJ better" to neglecting to add a QB to the roster until the last week of camp is all about Whaley trying to save fiasco for himself. So what if it damned the team to at least five more years of suck.

jills
01-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Yeah, EJ has had good games in both the NFL & in College.He WON bowl games for FSU.

I am sick & tired of idiots on this board that cite Fla State Fans claims of EJ's play as if they were NFL GM's.

I'm sorry, but the irony in this post is just epic.

YardRat
01-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Bull****.

The only thing that could make Whaley look worse than EJ being benched would have been EJ playing.

All of this EJ bull****, from adding Watkins to "make EJ better" to neglecting to add a QB to the roster until the last week of camp is all about Whaley trying to save fiasco for himself. So what if it damned the team to at least five more years of suck.

Blah, blah, blah, I hate Whaley, yadda, yadda, yadda. Get a new gig, this one's old already.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-06-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm wondering if this whole EJ/Whaley thing is the reason behind interviewing all these coaches. We are now considering Kyle Shanahan for HC.

Mace
01-06-2015, 10:52 PM
It's still what it was and ever will be. GM has no business telling HC candidate a crap about the QB, the candidate tells the GM about what he expects to work with and how to make it succeed.

If this stuff is true, we're already toast, the best candidates don't need Whaley to "educate" them on what they see on film and how to use it or they aren't viable candidates.

That just isn't even quality preparation on our part, it's terrible GM work unless they're looking for a "yes" man to a lame duck the yes man won't even report to, and it's interview 101 failsauce.

djjimkelly
01-06-2015, 10:59 PM
everyone on here is funny.

we have just been exposed to what a fool doug marrone was as a head coach.

i questioned him almost all year for playing orton over EJ.

the bills have invested 2 years into this kid who i believe was the best QB on the roster all of 2014.

i expected EJ to be the 2015 starter and this offseason is playing out to my liking.

no 1st round pick NP we have a 1st round pick who is entering his 3rd and should be ready to go.

last year i truly believe his results would have been the same if not better then ortons.

i look forward to 2015 EJ and a proper HC that will bring the best out of EJ hopefully.

i still dont get how anyone thinks the know how the EJ story ends.

trapezeus
01-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Stop.

Show me a good game.

The pure venom for EJ is ridiculous. He was never supposed to be andrew luck. he was a project qb taken too high. then started way too early. So the fact he's around .500 isn't bad. if you don't give him credit for that despite his obvious flaws, then you are just whining for the sake of whining.

Ej has now gotten essentially one season to learn like a lot of people initially wanted. The very truth of the matter is if EJ was drafted 2 years ago, never played a down and we lived through kolb/orton, this entire board would be giddy for what EJ could be with sideline experience. he has about 14 live game starts and now 10 games from the bench just learning.

with NO other options in FA to really take the team anywhere, and less chance of getting a ready to start QB in the draft, what other options do we have?

draft a guy in round 2. i'm all for it. but ej should start so that guy actually gets the full season or two on the bench learning the system, etc. don't ruin two qb's. if EJ is the sacrificial lamb for the next guy to have time to learn, fine.

but to be so whiny and petulant that EJ hasn't done anything is ridiculous.

I agree, it blows to get a qb that needs to work on fundamentals etc and the success that guys have reworking mechanics and stuff is low. Fine.

swiper
01-07-2015, 07:55 AM
The pure venom for EJ is ridiculous. He was never supposed to be andrew luck. he was a project qb taken too high. then started way too early. So the fact he's around .500 isn't bad. if you don't give him credit for that despite his obvious flaws, then you are just whining for the sake of whining.

Ej has now gotten essentially one season to learn like a lot of people initially wanted. The very truth of the matter is if EJ was drafted 2 years ago, never played a down and we lived through kolb/orton, this entire board would be giddy for what EJ could be with sideline experience. he has about 14 live game starts and now 10 games from the bench just learning.

with NO other options in FA to really take the team anywhere, and less chance of getting a ready to start QB in the draft, what other options do we have?

draft a guy in round 2. i'm all for it. but ej should start so that guy actually gets the full season or two on the bench learning the system, etc. don't ruin two qb's. if EJ is the sacrificial lamb for the next guy to have time to learn, fine.

but to be so whiny and petulant that EJ hasn't done anything is ridiculous.

I agree, it blows to get a qb that needs to work on fundamentals etc and the success that guys have reworking mechanics and stuff is low. Fine.

You completely deflected my question. Show me ONE good game. There isn't one.

No one's being whiny or petulant. Not at EJ Manuel anyway. What is amazing at the fans that think he's got a future.

casdhf
01-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Rumor has it Pegula has been seen wearing a "Tuel Time" t-shirt around. Whaley is definitely doomed.

Dr. Who
01-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Every bit of goodwill and warm fuzzy feeling I had when Pegula bought the team just went out the window.

Should have just let the God damn team move to Toronto.

Five more years of ****.

This ****ing sucks.

Go root for the Argonauts then. You're off your rocker.

Strongman
01-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Thinking about this tweet is making me wonder if Hacket is still going to be the OC because throwing EJ into a new system at this point might be very detrimental. I'm not going to be too surprised if Schwartz and Hackett are still here in 2015.

Dr. Who
01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
So you are annoyed.

I guess nobody gives a crap.

I put the individual who insulted you in such a vile fashion on ignore. The board improved immeasurably.

EricStratton
01-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Collectively how many head coaching interviews have the members of this board sat in on? It must be dozens since everyone has an opinion as to how they should be run and what questions the GM should be asking.

trapezeus
01-07-2015, 09:08 AM
You completely deflected my question. Show me ONE good game. There isn't one.

No one's being whiny or petulant. Not at EJ Manuel anyway. What is amazing at the fans that think he's got a future.

none of his good games are great games. they were good for a project qb. we've seena lot of project qbs who aren't even close to the .500 range. his play in chicago and vs miami was good enough. his first pats game last year was pretty good. carolina was good. he definately went backwards in the last two games.

but with the time off plus the lack of options really out there, the idea of EJ starting is a reality. and no matter how slim, he could be a brees like guy who really didn't look salvagable after 2.5 years. he could also be a complete tire fire.

i'll go into next season hoping he can fix the accuracy and timid play calling, but i also hope a new coach says, "this isn't a guy who can win us a game singlehandedly. i am going to develop a run game that works and get these lineman to make it work. and if it doesn't work through 5 weeks and ej is really not doing his part, but the run game is ok, let's go to the vet."

i also think the bills should be looking at a qb in this draft. not with expectations that he start, but that he might be a backup with a chance to be a starter 1-3 years from now. that's the development that we need. and if EJ flames out and the vet sucks, draft another qb in round 1, let this 2015 draft choice play with another vet brought in and see if that buys time for a real number 1 to develop.

asking for EJ to start next year isn't an expectation to take us to the superbowl, but he is the realistic choice

Dr. Who
01-07-2015, 09:28 AM
none of his good games are great games. they were good for a project qb. we've seena lot of project qbs who aren't even close to the .500 range. his play in chicago and vs miami was good enough. his first pats game last year was pretty good. carolina was good. he definately went backwards in the last two games.

but with the time off plus the lack of options really out there, the idea of EJ starting is a reality. and no matter how slim, he could be a brees like guy who really didn't look salvagable after 2.5 years. he could also be a complete tire fire.

i'll go into next season hoping he can fix the accuracy and timid play calling, but i also hope a new coach says, "this isn't a guy who can win us a game singlehandedly. i am going to develop a run game that works and get these lineman to make it work. and if it doesn't work through 5 weeks and ej is really not doing his part, but the run game is ok, let's go to the vet."

i also think the bills should be looking at a qb in this draft. not with expectations that he start, but that he might be a backup with a chance to be a starter 1-3 years from now. that's the development that we need. and if EJ flames out and the vet sucks, draft another qb in round 1, let this 2015 draft choice play with another vet brought in and see if that buys time for a real number 1 to develop.

asking for EJ to start next year isn't an expectation to take us to the superbowl, but he is the realistic choice

Your argument is more or less why I think a coach like Bevell or Hue Jackson would be the best fit. I hope that we keep Schwartz as DC as well.
The draft will be affected by free agency. I would like to bring in at least two guards. One of them should be a quality vet. I think we need to bring in another rb unless Spiller is resigned. My guess is that Glennon can be got for cheap once the Bucs pick a qb #1 overall. I'd rather go that route. Try EJ and Glennon. If it doesn't work out, draft a qb in 2016.

swiper
01-07-2015, 09:32 AM

Like I said earlier. You are asking for 5 more years of futility. Irsay may be a drunk. But he looks like a smart one.

swiper
01-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Anyone who thinks Schwartz would stay and work under the disaster known as Hue Jackson should be put permanently on ignore. That's one useless opinion.

trapezeus
01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Like I said earlier. You are asking for 5 more years of futility. Irsay may be a drunk. But he looks like a smart one.

it's easy to be good when you get the consensus #1 pick the two times no brainer choices exist. that has happened about 3 times in the last 15-18 years. everyone else has their boughts of trying to find the best fit that they can bring along.

the bills haven't had a good setup of coaches and front office thinking operating on the same page for a very long time. i think 3 years of more of the same is more likely.

CommissarSpartacus
01-07-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't see why people can't understand that it makes NO SENSE for ANYONE in the front office to slag ANY of the players, or anyone else in the organi2ation for public consumption, no matter what your private opinions are.

The players are your ASSETS.

Where does it make sense for Doug Whaley to say ANYTHING but nice things about EJ, even if he wants to desperately get rid of him?

You are just devaluing an asset.

Let's see what happens before we jump off the bridge.

If we go into training camp with EJ and no one else, that'll be a problem, and I'm sure Bill's brass agrees.

But you're not going to get them to say it in public, because it's counter-productive, no matter how much it enrages the hot heads...

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't see why people can't understand that it makes NO SENSE for ANYONE in the front office to slag ANY of the players, or anyone else in the organi2ation for public consumption, no matter what your private opinions are.

Where does it make sense for Doug Whaley to say ANYTHING but nice things about EJ, even if he wants to desperately get rid of him?.

EJ is not an asset, he is a major liability, and anyone worth hiring is well aware of that, so Whaley is not only insulting their intelligence, but he is scaring them off for fear of working with a delusional GM.

Meathead
01-07-2015, 01:26 PM
my sources tell me theres about a twenty pcent chance ej turns into a viable starting nfl qb, and by sources i mean my brain

so a smart coach and/or gm will go into next season knowing that a one in five chance is still a reasonable gamble and will include ej in a strategy that includes another baseline veteran acquisition and a pick

their only other option would be to give up assets on a fading upper tier guy, perhaps brees or cutler. or maybe on an injury risk some other team decides to move on from, should a guy like rg3 or bradford come avail. but those are usually very expensive gambles that dont pay off, so you might as well go with the standard plan of home growing them. despite not having the first rounder they can still see who is left in rnd two or work something to move up if somebody is there. its probably the best of a weak situation for the bills

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 01:45 PM
my sources tell me theres about a twenty pcent chance ej turns into a viable starting nfl qb, and by sources i mean my brain

so a smart coach and/or gm will go seek employment elsewhere.

Fixed it for you.

swiper
01-07-2015, 02:11 PM
LOL. Well there are certainly opinions all across the board.

CommissarSpartacus
01-07-2015, 05:43 PM
EJ is not an asset, he is a major liability, and anyone worth hiring is well aware of that, so Whaley is not only insulting their intelligence, but he is scaring them off for fear of working with a delusional GM.

Calm down and think about what I'm saying because you misunderstand.

An asset has a value, not just to you, but to others. But these values are a matter of opinion, since, as capitalism teaches us, something is only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

But even if we, and Whaley, decide that manuel is totally useless, you still don't say that in public because you just devalue what you could get in exchange for that asset.

What POSSIBLE good could calling ANY of your assets useless before you try to deal them?

It's idiotic.

CommissarSpartacus
01-07-2015, 05:46 PM
dbl post...

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Calm down and think about what I'm saying because you misunderstand.

An asset has a value, not just to you, but to others. But these values are a matter of opinion, since, as capitalism teaches us, something is only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

But even if we, and Whaley, decide that manuel is totally useless, you still don't say that in public because you just devalue what you could get in exchange for that asset.

What POSSIBLE good could calling ANY of your assets useless before you try to deal them?

It's idiotic.

Sure, but then you just don't say anything. You listen. You ask questions, you invite solutions from those being interviewed.

The way it's being portrayed in today's Buffalo News article is that Whaley is pushing EJ on the candidates.

He's going to make them feel set up to fail.

Don't Panic
01-07-2015, 06:01 PM
The way it's being portrayed in today's Buffalo News article

Most important part of your post...

CommissarSpartacus
01-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Sure, but then you just don't say anything. You listen. You ask questions, you invite solutions from those being interviewed.

The way it's being portrayed in today's Buffalo News article is that Whaley is pushing EJ on the candidates.

He's going to make them feel set up to fail.

I doubt even Whaley wants to throw all his eggs in the EJ basket, but there's nothing wrong with asking a prospective coach is he's willing to try to increase the asset's value if he remains on the team. Every NFL team should do what it can to have two competent qbs on the team. Even if we get Aaron Rodgers through an act of God, he' only one hit away from being out for the season. There is no reason to totally write off EJ at this time, especially when we all agree the desin and play calling by the coaches was wanting.

starrymessenger
01-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Most important part of your post...

Well if it's not true that's an entirely different matter then isn't it?
Thing is both Carucci and Cole are reporting it.
If it's true he needs to be fired immediately.

Mace
01-07-2015, 06:18 PM
The source said that Whaley is making it clear he wants the new coach to make the progress in developing Manuel, the Bills' first-round draft pick in 2013, that former coach Doug Marrone and his staff never made.

The coaching candidates watch film, develop and use players. They'd not walk into an interview oblivious about the QB situation, unaware that Manuel is what he is, a skilled project and high draft choice who was not/has not developed, and also that he's the best of available qbs on the roster.

If I know they stuffed his square peg into a round hole in a fast read/west coast offense without a good QB coach then hired a bad one and led him down the checkdown Prince path, any coaching candidate will know it too.

If Manuel fails to develop, or say Tuel miraculously outplays Manuel in the coaches system, the coach already earned a demerit ? It's the job and the life for these guys to make their best use of assets to win games, you're not going to get a good one who means to please the GM he doesn't even report to, suppressing his own thoughts on the player.

There's no need to force Manuel on anyone or sell him. He is what he is, a skilled, project QB an offense will have to work with when and if he even wins the job in camp. Any candidate worth anything already knows that.

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 06:43 PM
I doubt even Whaley wants to throw all his eggs in the EJ basket, .

And you cite what evidence for this? Certainly not his history regarding EJ.

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 06:48 PM
He is what he is, a skilled, project QB .

Except that he's NOT SKILLED.

If he was skilled, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I'm sure he's probably worked hard and listened to his coaches in earnest.

But he's fundamentally lacking in skills like accuracy and assessing Defenses.

And the skill he gets so much undeserved credit for, running, is a myth. This is a guy who frequently runs out of bounds one yard shy of the first down marker.

bleve
01-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Where does it make sense for Doug Whaley to say ANYTHING but nice things about EJ, even if he wants to desperately get rid of him?

If we go into training camp with EJ and no one else, that'll be a problem, and I'm sure Bill's brass agrees.

But you're not going to get them to say it in public, because it's counter-productive, no matter how much it enrages the hot heads...

I agree with what you're saying, and I certainly don't think Whaley is, or should, be "slagging" any players.

My issue is, if the reports are true, the way he's conducting the interviews. He shouldn't be "selling" EJ.

Rather, he should bring to the discussion that we have a top Defense and a solid Special Teams. Then ask, "what would you do to put this team over the top given the situation?"

I'm not in the interview room, and do not boast any affinity to know, or have desire to know, about being an NFL GM. I can only remember the Youtube videos of Doug Whaley selling us on EJ when he got drafted. "He's the face of the franchise", He's got the 'it' factor!" GM's shouldn't be selling.

Mace
01-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Except that he's NOT SKILLED.

If he was skilled, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I'm sure he's probably worked hard and listened to his coaches in earnest.

But he's fundamentally lacking in skills like accuracy and assessing Defenses.

And the skill he gets so much undeserved credit for, running, is a myth. This is a guy who frequently runs out of bounds one yard shy of the first down marker.

Well I'd disagree with that. He's plenty skilled, big enough arm, mobile. He has ability, just isn't any good at using it. No good at using the skills to make him proficient.

WagonCircler
01-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Well I'd disagree with that. He's plenty skilled, big enough arm, mobile. He has ability, just isn't any good at using it. No good at using the skills to make him proficient.

If he has a strong arm and he's inaccurate, his strong arm is no more valuable than Kyle Williams' strong arms, when it comes to passing the football. And I'll say it again, accuracy is a gift. You have it or you don't. He doesn't.

Mace
01-07-2015, 07:49 PM
If he has a strong arm and he's inaccurate, his strong arm is no more valuable than Kyle Williams' strong arms, when it comes to passing the football. And I'll say it again, accuracy is a gift. You have it or you don't. He doesn't.

You're arguing with the wrong person, I don't think he's going anywhere quick either in the long view. But he is what he is, he has the QB tools whether or not he'll ever be able to use them usefully, and any offense oriented coaching candidate is going to see the same thing, a guy with tools who can't use them successfully at this point.

You can like him or not like him, but if he's all that's there, it's up to the coach to make sure those 2 yard checkdowns work enough to win games, and that he runs for a couple first downs a game without hurting himself. Personally, to me that means power running game with dink & dunk until they get a better QB if the lights don't suddenly turn on and I don't think they will. There have been teams with not good QB's (regardless of QB upside) who won games and that's up to the coach to work through.

If Manuel is all they have, he's still all they have.

djjimkelly
01-08-2015, 12:15 AM

anticipation is the most important quality for a qb if you ask me.

its by far the hardest to predict

Mr. Cynical
01-08-2015, 01:17 AM
This is nothing more than Whaley trying to cover his ass. IMO, this is more proof that Terry needs to CLEAN THE ****ING HOUSE. Leaving anyone in there is like leaving a pregnant termite inside the floorboards. At some point the little bastards will spring forth and destroy the house. Again.

WagonCircler
01-08-2015, 02:22 AM
You're arguing with the wrong person, I don't think he's going anywhere quick either in the long view. But he is what he is, he has the QB tools whether or not he'll ever be able to use them usefully, and any offense oriented coaching candidate is going to see the same thing, a guy with tools who can't use them successfully at this point.

You can like him or not like him, but if he's all that's there, it's up to the coach to make sure those 2 yard checkdowns work enough to win games, and that he runs for a couple first downs a game without hurting himself. Personally, to me that means power running game with dink & dunk until they get a better QB if the lights don't suddenly turn on and I don't think they will. There have been teams with not good QB's (regardless of QB upside) who won games and that's up to the coach to work through.

If Manuel is all they have, he's still all they have.

Or, you move heaven and hell to get a QB in here. If that means trading Defensive players and draft picks, that's what you do. Obviously, trading draft picks helped create this situation, but trading them for a QB is forgivable. Trading for a WR is not.

But before that, you fire the GM who got us into this mess, and you sure as hell don't let him pick the next QB, when he has shown such horrendous judgement regarding the position thus far.

Going into this season with EJ as starting QB is waving a white flag.

swiper
01-08-2015, 03:46 AM
Manuel certainly has become a divisive figure amongst Bills fans

swiper
01-08-2015, 04:31 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/bills-fear-rex-is-leery-about-quarterback-situation/

Not a Ryan fan, but it shows that viable candidates will put off Buffalo who apparently are coming out with the "if you come here, you're going to use Manuel" mantra. LOL.

YardRat
01-08-2015, 04:49 AM
I don't know why anybody has a problem with Whaley admitting to candidates that our offensive coaches sucked the last two seasons, it's not exactly a secret.

trapezeus
01-08-2015, 07:24 AM
i just don't think it's a bad thing for our GM to say, " we'd like to see what you can do with EJ for a season. and for that, regardless of public opinion, you'll be our guy and we'll work together to drafting the next guy you like. but what you hvaen't seen from EJ from his time off is something we think you'd be impressedwith."

i doubt he's saying "take the job and it's ej only. he's awesome. no flaws. if you can't make it work, then i don't know."

and the reality of the bills front office situation and the pegulas seemingly wanting a full review from a czar is that they have to get the coach because of timing, but that coach will be under review from a different Czar who might recommend against that coach in the long run. it's not an ideal situation for a coach to be coming into if they don't have thick skin. but if you are a guy who believes in yourself and believes the results will come, you won't be intimidated to be reviewed.

Buckets
01-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Yeah, EJ has had good games in both the NFL & in College. He WON bowl games for FSU.

Yes they are fans just like you, who have experienced EJ's erratic play over a 3 year span with no evidence of improvement; just like us.

better days
01-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Yes they are fans just like you, who have experienced EJ's erratic play over a 3 year span with no evidence of improvement; just like us.

EJ WON 3 bowl games that he played in for the Seminoles.

He was 12-2 his Senior year. WON the ACC Championship & the Orange Bowl.

I will take that kind of play for the Bills.

djjimkelly
01-08-2015, 08:35 AM
once again marrone sucked and wasnt interested in developing a QB i dont understand why people cannot envision that the kid(manuel) while not perfect, was not coached up or developed by the ego maniac marrone.

if you think marrone was a crap coach can you not admit maybe he was wrong on EJ or went about developing EJ incorrectly?

i know its a stretch that a SH1t coach didnt know how to develop EJ

cookie G
01-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Or, you move heaven and hell to get a QB in here. If that means trading Defensive players and draft picks, that's what you do. Obviously, trading draft picks helped create this situation, but trading them for a QB is forgivable. Trading for a WR is not.

But before that, you fire the GM who got us into this mess, and you sure as hell don't let him pick the next QB, when he has shown such horrendous judgement regarding the position thus far.

Going into this season with EJ as starting QB is waving a white flag.

He did say in his closing PC to expect 1-2 new QBs in camp.

But he didn't address the quality of the anticipated new faces.

Take it for what its worth.

swiper
01-08-2015, 12:07 PM
once again marrone sucked and wasnt interested in developing a QB i dont understand why people cannot envision that the kid(manuel) while not perfect, was not coached up or developed by the ego maniac marrone.

if you think marrone was a crap coach can you not admit maybe he was wrong on EJ or went about developing EJ incorrectly?

i know its a stretch that a SH1t coach didnt know how to develop EJ

LOL @ the same three idiot fans who keep posting and thanking each other. All the sudden Marrone was a crap coach?

Open your stupid little eyes. In 2014 Marrone brought 9 wins to the Bills. EJ Manuel didn't interfere with two of those.

better days
01-08-2015, 12:10 PM
LOL @ the same three idiot fans who keep posting and thanking each other. All the sudden Marrone was a crap coach?

Open your stupid little eyes. In 2014 Marrone brought 9 wins to the Bills. EJ Manuel didn't interfere with two of those.

NO, it is only TWO IDIOTS that post & thank each other You & SpikedLemonade.

Strongman
01-08-2015, 12:54 PM
i just don't think it's a bad thing for our GM to say, " we'd like to see what you can do with EJ for a season. and for that, regardless of public opinion, you'll be our guy and we'll work together to drafting the next guy you like. but what you hvaen't seen from EJ from his time off is something we think you'd be impressedwith."

i doubt he's saying "take the job and it's ej only. he's awesome. no flaws. if you can't make it work, then i don't know."

and the reality of the bills front office situation and the pegulas seemingly wanting a full review from a czar is that they have to get the coach because of timing, but that coach will be under review from a different Czar who might recommend against that coach in the long run. it's not an ideal situation for a coach to be coming into if they don't have thick skin. but if you are a guy who believes in yourself and believes the results will come, you won't be intimidated to be reviewed.

I think Pegula's czar would be evaluating the Bills' football operation from the top on down with a particular eye on the front office. Let's face it, there's something very dysfunctional about a F.O. that has missed as badly as this one has; and Pegula is probably no stranger to performance based employee appraisals. Not a good combination for people like Overdorf, Brandon, and the like.

starrymessenger
01-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Whaley has done a good job of drafting linebackers and safeties.
Those are the positions he played when in college.
To bad he wasn't a quarterback.
I think he puts exclusive emphasis on measurables and intangibles and is blind to the other, equally important factors that go into the making of a NFL QB. Right after he drafted EJ his comments were all about his size, his 40 time, his strong arm, his athleticism, his character.
I have no confidence that Whaley knows what he's doing when it comes to QBs.

The Jokeman
01-08-2015, 06:40 PM
He did say in his closing PC to expect 1-2 new QBs in camp.

But he didn't address the quality of the anticipated new faces.

Take it for what its worth.
I read that as we're going to bring in a vet to compete/mentor with EJ as an UFA and if there's a draft worthy candidate available late in the draft we might take a chance. Heck it wouldn't surprise me to see Whaley trade down in Round 3 to maybe pick up a couple Round 4 picks and maybe nab a QB with one of them or use the pick we got from Tampa on someone.

better days
01-09-2015, 05:41 AM
I read that as we're going to bring in a vet to compete/mentor with EJ as an UFA and if there's a draft worthy candidate available late in the draft we might take a chance. Heck it wouldn't surprise me to see Whaley trade down in Round 3 to maybe pick up a couple Round 4 picks and maybe nab a QB with one of them or use the pick we got from Tampa on someone.

It would be surprising if any late rnd QB pick was as good as Tuel.

jamze132
01-09-2015, 07:12 AM

We'll have Tuel so we're straight...