PDA

View Full Version : anyone read Marv's novel about football?

trapezeus
01-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Just curious. it was entertaining. not a great book, but interesting from an insiders viewpoint.

One thing that stands out as we discuss the coaching search was that he points out different types of coaches (ego maniacs, sound philophy guys) and he talks about the talking head reporters vs the guys who are really tuned in (jerry sullivan vs tim graham types).

The book gave me a little insight on how fans and talking heads have a time table that is a lot tighter than level headed coaches and owners. i hope we have a level headed owner finally. and i hope we eventually get rid of the legacy FO guys who have meddled long enough.

It makes me think the search is really for the pegulas to get an idea of the types of coaches out there and what everyone says. then they'll promote Schwartz and see if continuity can help. if it doesn't, they'll have a better idea how to structure the next search with a GM they really trust.

Strongman
01-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Sounds interesting. I think he's got a few books out. What was the title?

trapezeus
01-09-2015, 07:44 AM
"Between the lies."

It's his only novel. and honestly, if it wasn't by marv, you'd almost think this was a young adult read because it's clearly not more sophisticated. but watching him use references so you know what bills players he's talking about was kind of cool.

but he showed a real contempt for the coaches who think they know everything as coordinators and lobby to get the job ahead of a coach who methodically goes through everything.

so i warn you it's good ebcause you like the bills. not good because it's a good book.

justasportsfan
01-09-2015, 09:15 AM
It makes me think the search is really for the pegulas to get an idea of the types of coaches out there and what everyone says.

Someone here said they were idiots for sitting in on coaching interviews.

trapezeus
01-09-2015, 09:50 AM
i am on board with them interviewing everyone and sitting in on it.

Given the circumstances that they wanted a czar to overlook and clean up the FO and the HC position, i think thye are doing ok. They got rejected by the Czar and now need to scramble with what essentially is a lame duck GM and Lame duck President of operations. It will be hard to get a HC knowing that the pegulas will want to eventually bring in a Czar. That person will want to re-evaluate the coaching pick.

so it makes sense the owners sit in on these things and see for themselves what they are hiring since they are essentially flying blind. The more experience they have, the more they'll know what they want and don't want. And they are giving the current guys one last shot...just like they did with reiger and ruff. It's diplomatic. and if you plan on owning the team for a while, why not mess up early when people expect it?

Homegrown
01-09-2015, 10:41 AM
but he showed a real contempt for the coaches who think they know everything as coordinators .....

Chuck Dickerson ?? :scratch: