PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bills to interview two more coaching candidates before determining whether...

SpikedLemonade
01-09-2015, 10:47 AM
....to expand search.

BUFFALO, N.Y. - The Buffalo Bills are scheduled to interview two more coaching candidates before taking a wait-and-see approach to determine whether to expand their search next week, a person familiar with the process told The Associated Press on Friday.

The person said the Bills are meeting with San Francisco 49ers offensive co-ordinator Greg Roman on Friday, followed by Detroit Lions defensive co-ordinator Teryl Austin on Saturday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Bills have not revealed their plans to replace Doug Marrone, who stepped down abruptly on Dec. 31.

Roman and Austin increase the Bills' list to 12 candidates who have been interviewed. It's group that includes former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Mike Shanahan, Bills defensive co-ordinator Jim Schwartz and Cincinnati offensive co-ordinator Hue Jackson.

The Bills have no more interviews scheduled, but that could change.

Without identifying who, the person said, the Bills have identified more than one candidate on teams competing in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs this weekend. Buffalo's search committee, headed by new owners Terry and Kim Pegula, will then wait until the games are over to see who might become available to be interviewed next week.

The Bills have already met with three assistants on teams still in the playoffs: Seattle co-ordinators Darrell Bevell (offensive) and Dan Quinn (defensive) and Denver offensive co-ordinator Adam Gase.

It's unclear whether the Bills will wait beyond next week to begin narrowing their list.....

http://www.tsn.ca/report-bills-to-interview-two-more-coaching-candidates-before-determining-whether-to-expand-search-1.178555

coastal
01-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Well I'd like to wait and see what canned emotional reaction I want sponge out there until they announce their plans...

but I honestly don't know if i can wait that long.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Let's wait until all the good candidates are hired then see who's left. Why narrow your own search when you can let other teams do it for you?

SpikedLemonade
01-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Maybe they are waiting until after Monday night to interview Oregon's HC.

Wouldn't that be amazing?

It would take a 5 year $40M contract to pry him out of there.

YardRat
01-09-2015, 11:11 AM
So Shurmur probably isn't in the mix (nothing scheduled still), but McDaniels and Hamilton still may be.

I don't see the Oregon HC being part of the search, it would be strange to be open to looking into college coaches and have him be the only name on the list.

Maybe the Pegula's are taking the tact "Yeah, **** that...Marrone came from the college ranks, we don't need to go there again."

elltrain22
01-09-2015, 11:26 AM
I really think that one of those 2 is Mark Helfrich

jamze132
01-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Or here's a thought...

No one wants the Bills job. I'm betting that we'll get the leftovers and we'll get a coach who doesn't know his head from his ass or have any business being a HC in the NFL.

Then OBD will be begging Schwartz to step up. Can't wait...

justasportsfan
01-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

FOXSports senior NFL reporter Alex Marvez said he believes Dan Quinn will ultimately be hired as the Jets head coach, according to people he’s spoken to.

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/marvez-quinn-will-be-next-jets-head-coach/

Dan Quinn, the Seahawks' defensive coordinator who is a head coaching candidate for five teams, including the Jets, reportedly wants to hire Kyle Shanahan as his offensive coordinator.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/dan_quinn_has_reportedly_picked_his_offensive_coordinator_is_he_coming_to_the_jets.html

Pinkerton Security
01-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Thank god you put the ... at the end of the title - it made the opening of the thread just so insanely exciting. :bored:

DraftBoy
01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
It's Pep Hamilton and Josh McDaniels.

jamze132
01-09-2015, 12:43 PM
t

Not a huge fan of McDaniels at all.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Are you speculating or do you actual know someone who knows someone who walks the dog for someone who washes dirty jockstraps for one of these teams?

CommissarSpartacus
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Uh, why would someone hire another team's DC and pass over the guy who's already here?

Personally, I think the more people they talk to, the more likely it's Schwart2' job and the Pegulas want to deflect any criticism that they didn't scour the country for candidates...

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2015, 01:02 PM
the Pegulas want to deflect any criticism that they didn't scour the country for candidates...
I doubt these guys are going through the whole motion of interviewing all these people just to not look bad to talking heads and average joe fans.

SpikedLemonade
01-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Thank god you put the ... at the end of the title - it made the opening of the thread just so insanely exciting. :bored:

The title would not fit in the subject box when I cut and pasted the article title.

Goobylal
01-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Let's wait until all the good candidates are hired then see who's left. Why narrow your own search when you can let other teams do it for you?
What good candidates have been hired?

ublinkwescore
01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
just hire Hue Jackson - he is the one coach that with what we already have in place should be able to build this team (by fixing the run game) in to a playoff contender with out a quarterback - like the Ravens with Trent Dilfer and the Bucs with Brad Johnson - strong d, strong running game, no pressure on the qb... it's a proven formula.

DraftBoy
01-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Are you speculating or do you actual know someone who knows someone who walks the dog for someone who washes dirty jockstraps for one of these teams?

It's been reported they put a request in for Hamilton (so that's one) and also reports of interest in speaking to McDaniels. No other assistant that is coaching this weekend has been reported to be of interest to the Bills. I'm just applying some logic to it.

CommissarSpartacus
01-09-2015, 07:42 PM
I doubt these guys are going through the whole motion of interviewing all these people just to not look bad to talking heads and average joe fans.

I don't. It's due diligence. Changing the culture.

Sure, someone might blow them away, but who are they to judge? We already have a proven leader with experience that the guys play for.

Why roll the dice when you don't even have the expertise to choose?

In a couple of years, they'll be up to speed. Schwart2 would give them that leeway. If he succeeds, great, if he doesn't, you can now make an educated choice.

If you go all in on an unknown outsider, a flop would be a much bigger disaster.

CommissarSpartacus
01-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Schwart2 would also be the least controversial choice.

All he has to say is "I recogni2e I made some mistakes in Detroit, but that's why experience is valuable. You know what NOT to do. I've learned and it's made me a better coach." and everyone will jump on his bandwagon along with the players.

swiper
12-01-2015, 11:23 AM
LOL.