Are You Surprised That The Pegula's Haven't Hired A Head Coach Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Are You Surprised That The Pegula's Haven't Hired A Head Coach Yet?

I must admit that I am surprised after all of the head coaching candidates they've already interviewed.

Rex Ryan, Kyle Shanahan, Mike Shanahan, Frank Reich, Jim Schwartz, Hue Jackson, Darrell Bevell, Adam Gace, Teryl Austin, Dan Quinn, Greg Roman, the list goes on.

Pep Hamilton and Pat Shurmur are the only candidates that haven't had an interview.

This is truly an exhausting search.

I don't think the Pegula's are the kind of business owners that say, "We both love this guy, but we have to wait."

That doesn't make any business sense, which tells me that the Pegula's have not been impressed enough by anyone.

Or have they been impressed and are simply playing the waiting game?

I am surprised that none of the above names have not won over the Pegula's by now.

So after every interview that has already happened is taken in to consideration, I would not be surprised if the Bills coaching search lasts at least another week or two.

Who knows, maybe they already have their man, "Pegged," and are just waiting to announce it until after the Super Bowl.

If the Pegula's have indeed already decided on who the next head coach will be, why would they all wait until after the Super Bowl?

Because 3 weeks to a defensive coordinator is a lot of time to prepare against the next Bills next HC?
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Are You Surprised That The Pegula's Haven't Hired A Head Coach Yet?

Has any other team looking for a head coach hired one yet? Same answer.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

I think they're smart enough business owners to know when a coach wants the job. I highly suspect no one they've interviewed have convinced the pegula's they actually want the job.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
        I think they're smart enough business owners to know when a coach wants the job. I highly suspect no one they've interviewed have convinced the pegula's they actually want the job.
        There are only 32 of these jobs in the whole wide world. You're telling me that none of all these people who have been working so hard all their lives to be a HC wants one of these HC jobs if offered?

Not.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

No, I wouldn't know who to hire either.

Comment

• BidsJr
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
            There are only 32 of these jobs in the whole wide world. You're telling me that none of all these people who have been working so hard all their lives to be a HC wants one of these HC jobs if offered?

Not.
            Yup that statement was idiotic. GJ calling him out on it.
            "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

I wonder if the Hall of Fame voting has something to do with it.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Just IMO, but it's good business practice to do a thorough and complete job of interviewing potential candidates for a high-level position. If you have a list, you complete the list, and don't cut the process short even if one or two candidates has already 'blown your doors off'. One can't really know if you're getting the best candidate until you've actually spoken to all of them.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post

Not.
                  Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
                  Yup that statement was idiotic. GJ calling him out on it.
                  but you're wrong. there are 100+ of these jobs in D1-A, all carry more job security then any NFL job ever will.

If you're an up and comer who's never held a head coaching job before there are jobs that you can take that will set you back a decade on your dreams. Name one ex-bills coach that got another head coaching job after he left here. Mike Malarkey QUIT after two pretty good seasons and still couldn't get hired until almost a decade had passed. Wade Philips was an over .500 pro coach with playoff wins/appearances on his record and didn't get another head job for 4 years after leaving here.

look at the careers of Raider's ex-coaches... ignoring lane kiffen (who must be the worlds best interviewer), no one who has coached that team since Bill Callahan landed on his feet after being given the boot. How many jets coaches from the late 80's - early 90's ever got another head coaching gig? I'm not saying ALL of the people we interviewed didn't really want the job. but i suspect at the very least all the people the owners WANT didn't want the job.
                  Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-09-2015, 10:12 PM.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I applaud them for being thorough and trying to get it right.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                      Has any other team looking for a head coach hired one yet? Same answer.
                      And that could be a big part of the problem. The Bills HC job isn't the top job available. The top candidates are all going to wait and see who the top teams hire. So the Bills either have to hire someone that no one wants or wait for the top jobs to be filled and see who filters down.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                        And that could be a big part of the problem. The Bills HC job isn't the top job available. The top candidates are all going to wait and see who the top teams hire. So the Bills either have to hire someone that no one wants or wait for the top jobs to be filled and see who filters down.
                        It's not the top, but it's not the worst either. A HC would have a built up defense and special teams, the team just came off a winning season, there is finally stable ownership that is willing to spend money, and the situation at quarterback is no different than all but one of the other teams looking for head coach (Atlanta since Cutler is a mess and Carr is still unproven).

Comment

• sudzy
                          • Apr 2013

It's not the top, but it's not the worst either.
                          In your opinion. I've heard plenty of reports that would disagree with you. I'm hopeful about Pegula, but, nobody really knows how good of an owner he will be. He has NO track record. So where does Buffalo rank in the top candidates' minds? I don't know. It's probably not the top job. So if (hypothetically) we are 3rd and the 49ers are the first, once the 49ers job is filled then the other dominoes will start to fall. Unless you hire someone the top 2 teams aren't interested in.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                            In your opinion. I've heard plenty of reports that would disagree with you. I'm hopeful about Pegula, but, nobody really knows how good of an owner he will be. He has NO track record. So where does Buffalo rank in the top candidates' minds? I don't know. It's probably not the top job. So if (hypothetically) we are 3rd and the 49ers are the first, once the 49ers job is filled then the other dominoes will start to fall. Unless you hire someone the top 2 teams aren't interested in.
                            I forgot about SF. True that would be more attractive. But a HC doesn't need track record and needs assurances that the owner will spend the money needed to make the team competitive. Given the price he paid for the team and his wealth, that's not an issue.

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

. But a HC doesn't need track record
                              Agree to disagree

Comment

Working...
                              X