• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strongman
    • Apr 2006

Is Russ Brandon truly good at his job?

I saw this map on my news feed this morning:

It's long been a dream of mankind to put together a map showing the geographic locations of NFL fanbases. The CommonCensus map tried to do it though polling; we took a crack at one based solely on proximity. But all previous efforts have been self-selecting or otherwise flawed. If only there was a massive database of…

I guess Facebook data was used to compile the most accurate NFL fandom map ever. I noticed how small the area for the Bills was. Now granted, I understand that it's a little deceptive because of population density, but I'm still amazed more of upstate NY isn't Bills country. The fact that there isn't more Bills fans from the Syracuse, Watertown, Elmira,and the Binghamton markets is inexcusable to me.

So how is it that Russ Brandon is still employed?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Is Russ Brandon truly good at his job?

That map has absolutely nothing to do with Brandon's job performance.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Strongman
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      That map has absolutely nothing to do with Brandon's job performance.
      Growing the fan base wasn't part of his job either directly or indirectly?

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

In terms of selling tickets and keeping the fan base interested in the product after 15 years of playoff drought, yes, Russ Brandon is truly good at his job.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
          Growing the fan base wasn't part of his job either directly or indirectly?
          This map indicates no growth in fan base how? Where is the same map from 15 years ago for comparison? Where is Ontario?

Sports are geographic. A fan base is going to be much larger when you've got a team in the middle of nowhere (like Dallas and Denver) as opposed to competing with two other teams in your own state, plus two others within three hours. All the marketing in the world isn't going to make too much of a dent into those demographics.

If Pittsburgh, Cleveland, the Giants or Jets did a better job marketing their teams are you going to switch allegiance to any of them?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

This map shows the favorite team. Bills could be the second favorite in a lot of those NY zones. Not bad for Giant territory. Thanks for making me feel dirty defending Brandon!

Comment

• sudzy
              • Apr 2013

This map indicates no growth in fan base how? Where is the same map from 15 years ago for comparison? Where is Ontario?

Sports are geographic. A fan base is going to be much larger when you've got a team in the middle of nowhere (like Dallas and Denver) as opposed to competing with two other teams in your own state, plus two others within three hours. All the marketing in the world isn't going to make too much of a dent into those demographics.

If Pittsburgh, Cleveland, the Giants or Jets did a better job marketing their teams are you going to switch allegiance to any of them?
              Let it go, Russ

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Dunno about the map, but yeah, Brandon is good at his job. These crap teams grew the Canadian base to 17%, and growing Rochester (with corp sponsorships) up to 15% of home attendance. That's 32% of home attendance not hanging on the Buffalo market like an iron weight without real exciting results from the team.

Sad but true, or not sad but still true.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Apr 2024

His Rochester roots and initiatives will pay off....

A new report says that Rochester is now first among similarly-sized cities in the U.S. for its rate of "extreme poverty."

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

how about demographics this doesnt take into account the older 40-80+ generation they dont use facebook

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Why anyone defends this douchebag is beyond me.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

This idea that russ grew during poor seasons is absurd. If they were good, the growth would have been bigger.

I think ink this rex hire puts brandon in jeapordy. Very excited on that note alone

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍