PDA

View Full Version : Bills interviewing Rex again tonight per ESPN

Demon
01-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Adam Schefter ‏<s>@</s>AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter) <small class="time"> 8m8 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/554046278414659584) </small> Bills are bringing back former Jets HC Rex Ryan for a second interview tonight in Florida, per league sources.

Me thinks the Bills are ready to offer him to job.

Jry44
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM
I like it as long as Trestman comes with him.

GvilleBills
01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Looks that way. They went through their first wave, and are getting a 2nd with Rex asap.

Didn't Rex have a 2nd interview set up for Atlanta, or somewhere?

Pegs isn't letting that happen.

YardRat
01-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Hope not.

X-Era
01-10-2015, 04:16 PM
I hate Rex Ryan but I must admit he's probably the next best HC with experience after Cowher... yes before Shanny

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 04:17 PM
I like it as long as Trestman comes with him.

Rex Ryan Wants Trestman As His OC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455988/article/rex-ryan-wants-marc-trestman-as-his-future-oc

Jry44
01-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Rex Ryan Wants Trestman As His OC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455988/article/rex-ryan-wants-marc-trestman-as-his-future-oc

Yeah, I actually read that earlier. I'm hoping it happens if this sets up as him getting the job. Rex would be scary wiyh our defense.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I actually read that earlier. I'm hoping it happens if this sets up as him getting the job. Rex would be scary wiyh our defense.

i'd like it if he kept schwartz around too.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 04:23 PM
This is the first, "2nd interview," the Pegula's have given any candidate.

Anyone who has ever been to a 2nd interview knows what it's all about.

They want to offer you the job.

I like it. Ryan isn't an offensive guru, but Trestman is, so I like it.

"I like it a lot."

X-Era
01-10-2015, 04:25 PM
This is the first, "2nd interview," the Pegula's have given any candidate.

Anyone who has ever been to a 2nd interview knows what it's all about.

They want to offer you the job.

I like it. Ryan isn't an offensive guru, but Trestman is, so I like it.

"I like it a lot."
He's going to be fiery which I like. He's going to demand top notch play which I like. If he bring a top OC with him I like that too. If he can keep Schwartz somehow, and I don't think he will, this would be a great move.

I don't like Rex personally but he's a very good coach.

GvilleBills
01-10-2015, 04:27 PM

Greg Roman is a possibility as well. He also sells like a better scheme for EJ in the Kaepernick role.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 04:28 PM
I have a woody.
http://www.jokespalace.com/wp-content/uploads/dog-boner.jpg

Ed
How often do coaching candidates get 2nd interviews and don't get the job? Aren't second interviews normally more about negotiating contract terms and working out details? I would assume this means there's a strong mutual interest from both sides and that it's likely now that Rex is the man.

Even if Rex doesn't retain Schwartz, I'm not worried about the D. I have full faith that this D with this talent will still be great. Rex knows D. My only concern about him was who would run the O since I've never really liked the OC's he's hired in NY or the offenses they ran, but Trestman as OC sounds great to me.

I like it if it happens.

TacklingDummy
Goes from Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith to EJ Manuel.

Rex is cursed.

Fixxxer
We could do worse than him, he at least can coach the defense but clock management, timeout usage are often as bad as you can get.
He also has his teams playing to the level of the opposition. It's like his teams play with more emotion, focus and readiness when they face the elite teams or elite QBs. It's like he underestimate some teams and that is where his teams look flat and unprepared.

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
i'd like it if he kept schwartz around too.

There is no room for Schwartz if Rex comes on board.

It will be Rex's defense.

There better be a great OC coming on board or this will not work.

GvilleBills
01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
He's going to be fiery which I like. He's going to demand top notch play which I like. If he bring a top OC with him I like that too. If he can keep Schwartz somehow, and I don't think he will, this would be a great move.

I don't like Rex personally but he's a very good coach.

You sound like you're almost ready for a goddamn snack

kingJofNYC
01-10-2015, 04:30 PM
I like Rex a lot, living NYC Gave me a lot of exposure. Too conservative, not aggressive enough on O, and has made some poor decisions on OC hires. Great motivator, and defensive teacher, he's tremendous on that side of the ball. Wouldn't be upset at all.

Night Train
01-10-2015, 04:31 PM
I'd love Rex with the right OC.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2015, 04:31 PM

i agree it's unlikely for him to keep schwartz, but i can wish

YardRat
01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Don't like it if Schwartz doesn't stick around for another season or two.

DesertFox24
01-10-2015, 04:34 PM
I hate Rex Ryan but I must admit he's probably the next best HC with experience after Cowher... yes before Shanny

I agree he is probably the best hc candidate. I do not want him to call plays I am not a fan of hc calling plays. They need to oversee whole operation.

I would say this is the anti Ralph hire and would be a big hire. A hc with playoff winning experience and getting the jets to 8 wins last year got my respect.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Rex is cursed.

Mark Sanchez is coming to Buffalo if Rex Ryan gets hired.

If they take the Bills to the AFC Championship Game, im okay with that, "curse."

sudzy
01-10-2015, 04:38 PM

Then the Bills screwed Schwartz over by not letting him interview for other jobs

Joe Fo Sho
01-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I guess he wasn't that off put by Whaley and his insistence on developing EJ. I like this, I love it if he brings in Trestman.

Jaybird
01-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Treastman knows how to use someone like spiller. Could bring him back

ghz in pittsburgh
01-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Then the Bills screwed Schwartz over by not letting him interview for other jobs

No one has come after him for HC jobs. The Giants asked about the DC job which the Bills rightfully said no

YardRat
01-10-2015, 04:42 PM
No one has come after him for HC jobs. The Giants asked about the DC job which the Bills rightfully said no

I think it was the Skins.

YardRat
01-10-2015, 04:44 PM
OMG...this just keeps getting worse...

"We can hire Rex Ryan!"
"We can get Trestman for OC!"
"We can sign Sanchez!"
"We can keep Spiller!"

What's next? "We can trade what draft picks we have left and gut the defense so we can afford Cutler, too!"

:puke:

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 04:46 PM
i agree it's unlikely for him to keep schwartz, but i can wish

"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Hopefully Ryan sees Schwartz' defense as a kind of hybrid possibility between the current 4-3 and his own 3-4.

Kiko Alonso in a 3-4 passing situtation, Brandon Spikes in a 4-3 run sitation.

The Patriots are a team that plays both ways on defense, depending on who they play.

If the Bills can play a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense, that can only make the Bills better.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 04:48 PM

Not for $5 million a year. Spiller will get a more lucrative offer from another team and part ways with the Bills.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-10-2015, 04:49 PM
The Bills benefit from the Schwartz the most this year in the area that he has been in NFCN for 6 years and knows those teams inside out.

X-Era
01-10-2015, 04:52 PM
The only thing that doesn't make sense is that Marrone didn't fit for being an ego guy... But we want Ryan?

How well will he work with Whaley?

This seems like a Pegula move.

Novacane
01-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Not for $5 million a year. Spiller will get a more lucrative offer from another team and part ways with the Bills.

Spillers not getting 5 mill per year.

X-Era
01-10-2015, 04:55 PM
If Rex doesn't get Trestman I'm seeing that Greg Roman may be in the mix. Vernon Davis is said to be a potential release... I like that.

If Ryan is hired I wonder what it means for players on the roster. Spikes comes to mind.

No I don't want Sanchez.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Rex Ryan is a smart football coach.

Out of all the teams searching for a head coach, Buffalo has the best defense.

The Bills also have a lot of young talent on offense to work with.

Rex Ryan is a guy who loves football. He was born in to the game.

Given then opportunity to coach the Falcons under a dome vs. coaching the Bills in Orchard Park?

Football wins.

trapezeus
01-10-2015, 05:01 PM
The only thing that doesn't make sense is that Marrone didn't fit for being an ego guy... But we want Ryan?

rex can deal with negative shots at his decision making. Apparently marrone could not. Big difference

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2015, 05:02 PM

Whaley will be the pillow biter.

X-Era
01-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Whaley will be the pillow biter.I hope not. Hopefully Rex will let Whaley run the roster. Whaley has done a very good job there IMO.

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2015, 05:07 PM
I hope not. Hopefully Rex will let Whaley run the roster. Whaley has done a very good job there IMO.

Perhaps, butt in that clash of personalities, Whaley is the catcher.

BillsImpossible

Positive ego vs. Negative ego.

Big difference.

Whaley would love the hire, Ryan is all defense.

Novacane
Rex Ryan is a smart football coach.

Out of all the teams searching for a head coach, Buffalo has the best defense.

The Bills also have a lot of young talent on offense to work with.

Rex Ryan is a guy who loves football. He was born in to the game.

Given then opportunity to coach the Falcons under a dome vs. coaching the Bills in Orchard Park?

Football wins.

I think it's probably more about the money.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 05:08 PM
I hope not. Hopefully Rex will let Whaley run the roster. Whaley has done a very good job there IMO.

On defense, yes.

On offense, no.

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 05:11 PM
I think it's probably more about the money.

Money is like water when you have over $5 billion.

Hiring Ryan for 3 years, $30 million would pay off in media coverage within a month.

Rex Ryan is the best advertising money can buy.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Ryan can just turn on TV and do a play by play of the Ravens/Pats game and say that's how my defense is going to do to Brady

justasportsfan
01-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Is sexy Rexy going to keep his mouth shut about guaranteeing anything?

BillsImpossible
01-10-2015, 05:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000456162/article/rex-ryan-set-for-second-bills-interview-saturday-night

tomz
01-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Honestly, I do not think chemistry with Whaley will be an issue. Rex's problems with gm's were that the jets gm's wouldn't keep their good players and they did not really get good new ones.

sudzy
01-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Any deal would have to include: endless tokens at Dave and Busters and a Kim Pegula foot massage.

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Money is like water when you have over $5 billion.

Do you think Pegula is worth over $5B now?

Yes he sold fracking interests earlier this year for $1.7B when he was worth $4.5B.

However, he paid $1.4B for an asset that was appraised for less than $1B and that if he were to die tomorrow would still be worth less than $1B rather than the $1.4B he paid for it.

More importantly, the price of oil is less than half now than it was worth at the beginning of last year.

I figure he is worth $1B less than he was a year ago.

He may have half his value in two Buffalo based sport franchises.

Not exactly liquid.

Not sure how great that is.

Demon
01-10-2015, 06:13 PM

Yes he sold fracking interests earlier this year for $1.7B when he was worth $4.5B.

However, he paid $1.4B for an asset that was appraised for less than $1B and that if he were to die tomorrow would still be worth less than $1B rather than the $1.4B he paid for it.

More importantly, the price of oil is less than half now than it was worth at the beginning of last year.

Not exactly liquid.

He still owns land for fracking in like 7 different states. He has plenty of money. We shouldnt be worried about it..

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2015, 06:15 PM
He still owns land for fracking in like 7 different states. He has plenty of money. We shouldnt be worried about it..

No worries, but do you agree that those fracking assets are worth 50% of what they were last year when he was worth $4.6B?

sudzy
01-10-2015, 06:24 PM
No worries, but do you agree that those fracking assets are worth 50% of what they were last year when he was worth $4.6B?

Damn that Saudi Arabia. They've been driving down oil prices to hinder the Bills ability to sign a good coach. I hear the prince is a Pats fan.

BidsJr
01-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Not exactly liquid.

Bills were not appraised for less than a billion. That speculative valuation. You can bet that the Bills sale changed how teams are specutively valued in the future.

Jaybird
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Why is everyone discounting his loss in purchase and oil price. You should be including his gains as well.

djjimkelly
01-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Rex is cursed.

im not gonna be surprised if sexy rexy is hired sanchez is a bill in 2015 a reuinion

K-Gun
01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Rex Ryan is a LOSING HC. If this is his 2nd Interview, I hope its to become Jim Schwartz' DC. Rex hasn't had a winning season in 5 years:

Team Year Regular season Post-season
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
NYJ 2009 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Indianapolis Colts in AFC Championship Game
NYJ 2010 11 5 0 .688 2nd in AFC East 2 1 .667 Lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Championship Game
NYJ 2011 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – –
NYJ 2012 6 10 0 .375 3rd in AFC East – – – –
NYJ 2013 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC East – – – –
NYJ 2014 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC East – – – –
NYJ Total 46 50 0 .479 4 2 .667
Total 46 50 0 .479 4 2 .667

ct bills fan
01-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Why is everyone discounting his loss in purchase and oil price. You should be including his gains as well.

Remember fracking is natural gas and not totally related to oil pricing. Plus, owning an NFL franchise is like an annuity, Bills franchise clears $30 millionish per year. Pegula isn't living paycheck to paycheck anytime soon.

TacklingDummy
01-10-2015, 07:28 PM
3 years 12 million is the rumor.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-10-2015, 07:29 PM

Not exactly liquid.

If his net worth was cut in half, he's still be in the top 10 wealthiest owners.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2015, 07:41 PM
3 years 12 million is the rumor.

i hope you're right. where did you hear?

TacklingDummy
01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
i hope you're right. where did you hear?

My brothers best friends cousin has a uncle who's a janitor at 1 Bills Drive and he found a memo in the garbage.

SpikedLemonade
01-10-2015, 07:56 PM
If his net worth was cut in half, he's still be in the top 10 wealthiest owners.

I agree, but he is now heavily invested in the City of Buffalo.

Mahdi
01-10-2015, 08:40 PM

Rex is cursed.

And back to Sanchez... Maybe?...

EDS
01-10-2015, 08:46 PM
People are ok with a guy that has spent six years in the AFC East and has a losing record to show for it? Sure the Jets did not have a QB, but neither do the Bills.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-10-2015, 08:47 PM
People are ok with a guy that has spent six years in the AFC East and has a losing record to show for it? Sure the Jets did not have a QB, but neither do the Bills.

in the last couple of years, the overall talent level on the jets roster, especially on offense was barely NFL caliber.

that d was nice there though.

HHURRICANE
01-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Remember fracking is natural gas and not totally related to oil pricing. Plus, owning an NFL franchise is like an annuity, Bills franchise clears $30 millionish per year. Pegula isn't living paycheck to paycheck anytime soon.

I'm in the oil business and I can tell you they are definately related.

He's sold assets which is very lucky for him. If he owns more stuff it's safe to say it's devalued by way more than half.

nolimit
01-10-2015, 09:20 PM

He's sold assets which is very lucky for him. If he owns more stuff it's safe to say it's devalued by way more than half.

Who friggin cares?

jrock2004
01-10-2015, 09:27 PM

I am thinking Watkins as well

HHURRICANE
01-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Who friggin cares?

If our owner gets into financial trouble that wouldn't be good?

By the way don't be a jerk.

WagonCircler
01-10-2015, 09:31 PM

Yes, because, as everyone knows, gas and oil prices will never, ever go up again.

Good Lord.

djjimkelly
01-10-2015, 09:38 PM

maybe it wasnt lucky maybe hes that smart :)

Buffalogic
01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Would be a nice hire. I wish they would interview Kubiak though. We need help in the running game. He would prOvid that.

Demon
01-10-2015, 10:52 PM

Pegula keeps his business practice very private. The land he sold prior to buying the Bills for $1.8 billion wasn't something that anyone knew he had in his back pocket. And at that time we found out about his land in 7 different states too. How much land and what is it's worth nobody knows. If Pegula was worried i don't think he'd be buying the Bills and HarborCentre.

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2015, 12:09 AM
I'm worried that this could be true. I'm not a huge fan of Rex but I would have to begrudgingly live with this. And this also means Schwartz is gone. This would sort of suck.

swiper
01-11-2015, 04:18 AM
Would be a nice hire. I wish they would interview Kubiak though. We need help in the running game. He would prOvid that.

Well maybe now that the Ravens are done, they might.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2015, 06:20 AM
https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/554049144202227712

Looks like things may not be that cozy in Atlanta for Rex. Both Pioli and Dimitroff are from the Pats organization and there is a strong speculation they may like McDaniels more, even though the HC will report to the owner directly.

Contrary to people looking at offense or defense and finding matches of HC to teams, I strongly believe the HC needs to be a CEO, in general terms, a "good" coach instead of a specialized area. The Falcons former HC is Smith who was a strong DC. How did he managed the D when he became the HC? Same went for Bills Schwartz in Detroit.

The question you want to ask is whether McDaniels is a better HC than Ryan?

Novacane
01-11-2015, 06:24 AM

His play calling on that last drive last night was stupid. Pass

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:25 AM
His play calling on that last drive last night was stupid. Pass
Really?

Play calling you didn't like on one series?

That has to be a joke

Novacane
01-11-2015, 06:29 AM

The question you want to ask is whether McDaniels is a better HC than Ryan?

I'm could take or leave Ryan but would hate McDaniels. What Patriot coordinator has gone on to be a good head coach? Mcdaniels is a product of Brady. He's bombed his first chance as HC. He drafted Tim Tebow in the first round. No way!

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2015, 06:46 AM
I'm could take or leave Ryan but would hate McDaniels. What Patriot coordinator has gone on to be a good head coach? Mcdaniels is a product of Brady. He's bombed his first chance as HC. He drafted Tim Tebow in the first round. No way!

There are reasonable thinking that McDaniels failed in Denver, came back to the Pats to re-learn under the master and becomes better because of the experience.

And you can't discount the thinking in Atlanta as well: the Pats way of front office, a HC trained in Pats way, an established QB, what is the odds of success (maybe not to the extent of Pats success, but winning success)?

Novacane
01-11-2015, 06:50 AM
I just think his success can be contributed mostly to Brady. When he didn't have a HOF QB he bombed. It's the same reason I didn't want Gase.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 08:05 AM
I thought Kubiak did a helluva job calling the game last night. If the Ryan deal wasn't allegedly done, I would have added his name to the list if I were Pegs.

better days
01-11-2015, 09:07 AM

Not exactly liquid.

Pegula also owns the harbor center. And the worth of the Bills is sure to go up in the future.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Not to mention, a lot of his worth wasn't in oil. It was in natural gas and the land where it is found.

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Not to mention, a lot of his worth wasn't in oil. It was in natural gas and the land where it is found.

Sure but that land is worth what it is worth for the fracking rights primarily.

Not sure I said anything that controversial here.

If Pegula was worth $4.6B at the beginning of 2014, due to the drastic drop in the price of oil and an over payment of $400M for the Bills (no one else bid over $1B), he is probably now worth less than $3.6B today and approx. 50% is invested in Buffalo based assets (Bills, Sabres, HarbourFront, etc.).

He isn't in any sort of financial trouble, but it is not an investment strategy that many would recommend except those born or living in Buffalo.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I don't think anybody would suggest against buying a NFL team. Their value skyrockets. And, with a likely return to LA coming soon, the value of a team will go even higher.

The Harbor Center, once combined with everything else he is going to add downtown is a very long term investment.

And oil has dropped. Not the value of the gas he will obtain by fracking.

Is his worth a little lower now? Probably. But not long term

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Sure but that land is worth what it is worth for the fracking rights primarily.

Not sure I said anything that controversial here.

If Pegula was worth $4.6B at the beginning of 2014, due to the drastic drop in the price of oil and an over payment of $400M for the Bills (no one else bid over $1B), he is probably now worth less than $3.6B today and approx. 50% is invested in Buffalo based assets (Bills, Sabres, HarbourFront, etc.).

He isn't in any sort of financial trouble, but it is not an investment strategy that many would recommend except those born or living in Buffalo.Buffalo will begin its real revitalization upon my return.

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Buffalo will begin its real revitalization upon my return.

Don't try to take credit for it since The Buffalo Economic Renaissance Miracle (B.E.R.M) has already begun.

The **** stains are slowly fading.

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Have u trademarked the berm?

theres tshirt money to be made there

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Have u trademarked the berm?

theres tshirt money to be made there

Crap!!! I forgot.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were downtown Spiked? Or near the medical corridor?

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were downtown Spiked? Or near the medical corridor?

Downtown in September 2013 after the Ravens game.

Medical corridor, not sure. Not recently.

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:22 AM
wtf is a medical corridor?

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 10:23 AM
wtf is a medical corridor?

When there is two hospitals within walking distance?

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Is there a bowling alley in between?

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Is there a bowling alley in between?

I don't see one here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyKtZHwKYn4

better days
01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
I don't see one here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyKtZHwKYn4

Future site of the Bills new Stadium.

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Future site of the Bills new Stadium.

Obviously you did not watch the video since it shows many different parts of Buffalo and not only one possible downtown stadium site.

Then again, you don't need to be reminded why you left Buffalo and have not moved back.