PDA

View Full Version : Bills Finalizing deal with Ryan

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:23 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7m7 minutes ago

Just a couple more I's to dot and T's to cross, but Rex Ryan now expected to be the next Buffalo Bills HC. First domino falls!

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Ugggh...

Don't Panic
01-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Wow. Ballsy move indeed. He's a good coach but I'm just a little surprised we are that interested in him and that he's that interested in us.

Night Train
01-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Happy dance.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/227339-I-d-Hire-Rex-Ryan-As-HC?highlight=rex+ryan

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:28 AM
Ugggh...
I love it.

The guy has had success.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:29 AM
http://fansided.com/2015/01/11/buffalo-bills-hire-rex-ryan/

The intrigue about this hire doesn’t end with the news that Rex Ryan is headed to Buffalo. The next question is, what does this mean for the future of defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. There was the belief that if Ryan somehow took a job with the Bills, he’d want to run the defense, or at the very least try to bring in his brother Rob Ryan from the Saints.

Schwartz helped make the Bills defense stout in 2014, which means Ryan has a real decision to make as he settles into his new job.
It’s not a move anyone saw coming, but the first head coaching domino in the NFL has fallen, as Rex Ryan is headed to the Buffalo Bills to become the team’s unlikely next head coach.

lol...If he brings Rob in, that is really going to be bad...sonofa*****

GingerP
01-11-2015, 06:30 AM
I think it is a great hire. He has proven he can give the Patriots fits, and that is the mountain the Bills have to climb. With the Bills' defensive personnel, Ryan makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, QB is still and issue, but that was going to be a problem no matter who they hired. With Ryan they are going to run the ball and play defense, which should be the strength of the team given their personnel.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:31 AM
I love it.

The guy has had success.

Well, I guess if 'success' is defined as beating out consistent mediocrity (Buffalo) by a game in the division standings for a few years running...

Novacane
01-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Wow. Ballsy move indeed. He's a good coach but I'm just a little surprised we are that interested in him and that he's that interested in us.

Especially since ours is the worst job available and we are going to have to beg someone to take it.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Well, I guess if 'success' is defined as beating out consistent mediocrity (Buffalo) by a game in the division standings for a few years running...
I thought his team went to 2 AFC Championship games with less talent than is on the current Bills roster?

Or did you leave that part out?

sudzy
Awesome. Can't wait to see him with this defense and what Trestman can do with this offense.

Night Train
$$$ talks.

Ralph is clearly dead.

sudzy
01-11-2015, 06:36 AM
The top coaching candidate and the Bills land him. Times they are a changing.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:37 AM
I thought his team went to 2 AFC Championship games with less talent than is on the current Bills roster?

I left that part out...I look more at the decline from beginning to end.

I really hope you're not also looking forward to bringing Sanchez in too.

Don't Panic
01-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Especially since ours is the worst job available and we are going to have to beg someone to take it.

No, just that we've been a rival and I figured he would want a better QB situation.

wmoz11
01-11-2015, 06:40 AM
I love the hire, but contributing significantly is the caveat that Trestman becomes the OC. That will be huge. Bears had the number 1 offense in the NFL just last season and his track record obviously includes tons of offensive success.

Don't Panic
01-11-2015, 06:41 AM
I wonder if he'll bring Morninhinweg with him.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Unless Schwartz is retained, I'll say it right now...the defense drops down to the middle of the pack next season, and everybody will once again be *****ing about how badly the players suck.

We finally get a defense, and a DC, that plays to the roster's strengths and puts guys in a position to succeed, and it's going to get mixed up and tinkered with? That's a terrible model moving forward.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:42 AM
I left that part out...I look more at the decline from beginning to end.

I really hope you're not also looking forward to bringing Sanchez in too.
There's a reason the GM was fired too. Hence the "less talent" comment. But ignoring the part of the time he was there that don't support your argument is weak

And I said nothing about Sanchez. Unless EJ gets it together (and maybe he can with Marrone and crew telling him not to move and play to his strengths), QB is gonna be rough this season. Not that I'm a fan but Sanchez wouldn't be worse than the other options

HHURRICANE
01-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Maybe Ryan convinces Orton to come back.

justasportsfan
01-11-2015, 06:45 AM
The bills may be the most unattractive team to others but not to sexy Rexy who wants to get back at the jets and Pats.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:47 AM
There's a reason the GM was fired too. Hence the "less talent" comment. But ignoring the part of the time he was there that don't support your argument is weak

I didn't completely ignore it, I just didn't let it gloss over the complete body of work.

And I said nothing about Sanchez. Unless EJ gets it together (and maybe he can with Marrone and crew telling him not to move and play to his strengths), QB is gonna be rough this season. Not that I'm a fan but Sanchez wouldn't be worse than the other options

Especially if the rumors are true that he's dragging Trestman along with him, considering the dearth of talent at QB, you've got to believe they will target Sanchez or Cutler. I was going to label one 'bad' and the other 'worse', but had real difficulty ranking them.

sudzy
01-11-2015, 06:48 AM
It was Kim's sandals that closed the deal. And people thought she'd be a liability.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Unless Schwartz is retained, I'll say it right now...the defense drops down to the middle of the pack next season, and everybody will once again be *****ing about how badly the players suck.

We finally get a defense, and a DC, that plays to the roster's strengths and puts guys in a position to succeed, and it's going to get mixed up and tinkered with? That's a terrible model moving forward.

The defense was not middle of the pack two years ago either. It might fall some - that's hard to tell. But there is talent there for sure. The players are not just going to start sucking

And it's not like Ryan has not had success with defenses.

Not to mention I doubt Schwartz will want to stay

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 06:50 AM
I didn't completely ignore it, I just didn't let it gloss over the complete body of work.

Especially if the rumors are true that he's dragging Trestman along with him, considering the dearth of talent at QB, you've got to believe they will target Sanchez or Cutler. I was going to label one 'bad' and the other 'worse', but had real difficulty ranking them.
Actually you did completely ignore it, unless I missed in the midst of you saying he only beat the Bills. Could be wrong though.

Trestman benched Cutler this year. Not sure he's a fan.

Not to mention both are better than Orton. If EJ is not allowed to play to his strengths or does not improve, they are probably also better than him

IAG
01-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Best coach the Bills have had since Marv.

New ownership just hit a 3 run homer.

Novacane
01-11-2015, 06:51 AM
I wonder if he'll bring Morninhinweg with him.

I hope not.

HHURRICANE
01-11-2015, 06:53 AM
I love this hiring. He has head coach experience, he knows the AFC East, he's a defensive mind. We haven't had a coach with Head Coach experience since Wade Phillips.

I applaud the Bills for getting the best available.

Novacane
01-11-2015, 06:55 AM
I love this hiring. He has head coach experience, he knows the AFC East, he's a defensive mind. We haven't had a coach with Head Coach experience since Wade Phillips.

I applaud the Bills for getting the best available.

Dick Jauron

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 06:56 AM

As long as there is a pass rush there will be a defense.

Forward_Lateral
01-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Thurman rumored to be DC. Say bye to Jim

YardRat
01-11-2015, 06:58 AM
The defense was not middle of the pack two years ago either. It might fall some - that's hard to tell. But there is talent there for sure. The players are not just going to start sucking

And it's not like Ryan has not had success with defenses.

Not to mention I doubt Schwartz will want to stay

PPG rank 26th in 2012 (Jets were 20) to 4th in 2014 (Jets were 24th). We got significantly better, NY marginally worse). And you're OK with breaking that up?

I doubt Schwartz stays also, which is unfortunate.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:00 AM
As long as there is a pass rush there will be a defense.

They had a pass rush last year under Pettine also, and got embarrassed against the run. I'll take Schwartz's D over Pettine's, thanks anyway.

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 07:01 AM
Does matter to me who the coach is.
Coaches live and die by the QB position.
Get me a Quarterback.

Night Train
01-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Lots of assumptions there. Let it play out before playing taps.

I'm sure he's walking in and saying" this D is all wrong. Let's change it. " It's probably the primary reason he took the job, outside of $$.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Greg Roman as OC is the report from Carucci

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7m7 minutes ago

Just a couple more I's to dot and T's to cross, but Rex Ryan now expected to be the next Buffalo Bills HC. First domino falls!
Is this correct? Last team to lose a HC but first team to hire the next HC?

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Greg Roman as OC is the report from CarucciBring Vernon Davis too

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:04 AM
PPG rank 26th in 2012 (Jets were 20) to 4th in 2014 (Jets were 24th). We got significantly better, NY marginally worse). And you're OK with breaking that up?

I doubt Schwartz stays also, which is unfortunate.

Yes - they got worse.

Were their rosters the same? The GM let people go and replaced them with crap.

What's with you telling half the story and making your conclusions based on it today?

Cleve
01-11-2015, 07:08 AM
We've spent so many years hating Rex Ryan, can that change to love?

46-50 career record as HC.

Do we REALLY think this guy is gonna bring home a Super Bowl ring for the Bills? I have serious doubts.

Bills would have been better off trying to find the non-famous guy who is going to be the next Belichick, or Parsells, instead of settling for a known name with baggage like Ryan.

Sounds like a marketing move (Brandon) to me.

RedEyE
01-11-2015, 07:08 AM
I'll reserve judgment until I see the assistants fall in place.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:10 AM
I hate Rex Ryan but the part I like about this move is that he has shown he can beat the Pats

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Carucci just said the Bills have every intention of keeping Schwartz!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/554274924119195649

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Actually you did completely ignore it, unless I missed in the midst of you saying he only beat the Bills. Could be wrong though.

Trestman benched Cutler this year. Not sure he's a fan.

Not to mention both are better than Orton. If EJ is not allowed to play to his strengths or does not improve, they are probably also better than him

Eric freakin' Mangini led the team to a 9-7 record before being replaced by Ryan, who promptly 'improved' that to...uhhhhh...9-7. 11-5, I'll give you that. Then 8-8, 6-10, 8-8 and 4-12. So Ryan takes over a slightly better than .500 team and leads them to the same record, a whopping two game improvement, and then a steady decline to the basement. Jesus, even Mangini was able to turn around 4-12 to 9-7 before getting booted.

Sorry, I'm not impressed.

I hope Trestman isn't a fan of Cutler's...don't want to give up what it might take to acquire him, and don't want to be saddled with his contract, his attitude, or his penchant to throw away games.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Not sure this guy but he says Schwartz is out.

https://twitter.com/jchenelly/status/554273777329377280

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Eric freakin' Mangini led the team to a 9-7 record before being replaced by Ryan, who promptly 'improved' that to...uhhhhh...9-7. 11-5, I'll give you that. Then 8-8, 6-10, 8-8 and 4-12. So Ryan takes over a slightly better than .500 team and leads them to the same record, a whopping two game improvement, and then a steady decline to the basement. Jesus, even Mangini was able to turn around 4-12 to 9-7 before getting booted.

I hope Trestman isn't a fan of Cutler's...don't want to give up what it might take to acquire him, and don't want to be saddled with his contract, his attitude, or his penchant to throw away games.I agree though that much of that was what happened to the roster.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Lots of assumptions there. Let it play out before playing taps.

I'm sure he's walking in and saying" this D is all wrong. Let's change it. " It's probably the primary reason he took the job, outside of $$.

I hope you are right.

SpikedLemonade
Who the OC will be is the key.

The Bills kind of ****ed Schwartz with this hire. I hope he catches on with someone as a DC.

DraftBoy
Greg Roman as OC is the report from Carucci

Huge news there!

RedEyE
5 year deal.

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 07:16 AM
I agree though that much of that was what happened to the roster.

5 year deal.

That is a longer than normal deal but it is what it takes to sign a NFL HC with NFL HC experience.

streetkings01
01-11-2015, 07:17 AM
We've spent so many years hating Rex Ryan, can that change to love?

46-50 career record as HC.

Do we REALLY think this guy is gonna bring home a Super Bowl ring for the Bills? I have serious doubts.

Bills would have been better off trying to find the non-famous guy who is going to be the next Belichick, or Parsells, instead of settling for a known name with baggage like Ryan.

Sounds like a marketing move (Brandon) to me.Brandon isnt running the show.........that's been pretty clear for months now.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:17 AM

I hope Trestman isn't a fan of Cutler's...don't want to give up what it might take to acquire him, and don't want to be saddled with his contract, his attitude, or his penchant to throw away games.
So 2 AFC Championship games, getting there on the road and with less talent than the Bills have means nothing?

(which, once again, you leave out. I guess it helps to act like that's meaningless

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:18 AM
That is a longer than normal deal but it is what it takes to sign a NFL HC with NFL HC experience.

I think that's pretty standard now. 4 or 5 years

DraftBoy
01-11-2015, 07:18 AM
I've got mixed feeling on Ryan as a coach but I think its a bold move which is something this franchise has been dying for.

I don't really care about keeping Schwartz, the defense grew under Pettine and became elite under Schwartz. I have a hard time giving Schwartz full credit for that and ignoring the amount of talent this team has in its front 7. Ryan who has always been a stand out defensive coach will likely continue to allow the defense to do what it does best which is attack. That's always been his style.

My biggest question are:
1. Who are the OC and DC? If Greg Roman is coming in as an OC that's a huge addition. While I'd like to see Schwartz stick as DC, I just don't see that because of question 2.
2. What will the defensive scheme be? Ryan has always been more of a 34 guy, but we ran a pretty steady 43 last year. I think this team has some versatility but its built for a 43.
3. How much, if any, roster control did we give Rex? I'm curious about the details and structure of the deal since Rex reports directly to Pegula and not to Whaley.

Overall, I'm happy we have a new HC and really pleased that we may have Roman coming as the OC.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Yes - they got worse.

Were their rosters the same? The GM let people go and replaced them with crap.

What's with you telling half the story and making your conclusions based on it today?

You do remember all of the *****ing about Dareus being a bust, Mario is 'fool's gold', McKelvin and Gilmore suck, god-help-us-if-we-lose-Byrd, yadda yadda yadda? Hell even the acquisitions, except for the golden boy Alonso, was met with criticism...Spikes is limited, Hughes is trading garbage for garbage, and three-quarters of the board didn't even know who Graham was before he signed.

This scheme fits this defense, and any changes is going to set them back.

DraftBoy
Who the OC will be is the key.

The Bills kind of ****ed Schwartz with this hire. I hope he catches on with someone as a DC.

How? Did they not give him the opportunity to interview for the job?

gr8slayer
This makes zero sense. You're hiring a defense only coach, when the defense is already Super Bowl caliber. How does this help Manuel? Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I like about Rex, but this one is a head scratcher.

SpikedLemonade
01-11-2015, 07:20 AM
How? Did they not give him the opportunity to interview for the job?

In terms of him losing his DC job this late in the game.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:21 AM
So 2 AFC Championship games, getting there on the road and with less talent than the Bills have means nothing?

(which, once again, you leave out. I guess it helps to act like that's meaningless

Yes and Byrd's rookie season labeled him a ballhawk and 'elite' for the rest of his career here. Do I have to bring up what 'anomaly' means again? Both have a downward trend, and that's not good.

DraftBoy
01-11-2015, 07:21 AM
In terms of him losing his DC job this late in the game.

He's the first DC on any of the teams looking for a HC to be potentially be told to look elsewhere. That's hardly screwing him.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:22 AM
You do remember all of the *****ing about Dareus being a bust, Mario is 'fool's gold', McKelvin and Gilmore suck, god-help-us-if-we-lose-Byrd, yadda yadda yadda? Hell even the acquisitions, except for the golden boy Alonso, was met with criticism...Spikes is limited, Hughes is trading garbage for garbage, and three-quarters of the board didn't even know who Graham was before he signed.

If you didn't notice, people still *****ed about those things this year.

DraftBoy
01-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Are you really going to argue that fans *****ing about anything is at all legitimate?

RedEyE
01-11-2015, 07:23 AM
I'm really hoping some of the reports are false. Hoping for Schwartz to stay on. Hoping for Greg Roman at OC. Hoping Crossman stays at ST. Do not like the idea of Thurman. Do not like the idea of a 5 year deal.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:24 AM
If Roman comes on board as OC and they retain Schwartz, that would be very good from a coordinator standpoint. I could live with that.

Re:Schwartz, I believe the DC gig is still open, and they've already requested permission to talk to him once, albeit it was denied at that time.

DraftBoy
01-11-2015, 07:25 AM
If Roman comes on board as OC and they retain Schwartz, that would be very good from a coordinator standpoint. I could live with that.

Re:Schwartz, I believe the DC gig is still open, and they've already requested permission to talk to him once, albeit it was denied at that time.

It is, but until he's officially released they can't talk to him after being rejected by the Bills.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:27 AM

Are you really going to argue that fans *****ing about anything is at all legitimate?

Fair points, but let's be realistic...that group played better under Schwartz than they did under anybody else.

How would you honestly expect this roster to perform if they switch back to a 34?

Dr. Lecter
Yes and Byrd's rookie season labeled him a ballhawk and 'elite' for the rest of his career here. Do I have to bring up what 'anomaly' means again? Both have a downward trend, and that's not good.
Well, except Byrd was still really good despite you thinking he is worse than Tavares Tillman or Raion Hill (never understood your hard on for him)

But if they did that one year you might have a point.

Twice is not anomaly. Once is . Not twice

And there is his success against Brady,

But I'm sure that was all luck too. It makes it easy for you to dismiss it

LVGrown
I've got mixed feeling on Ryan as a coach but I think its a bold move which is something this franchise has been dying for.

I don't really care about keeping Schwartz, the defense grew under Pettine and became elite under Schwartz. I have a hard time giving Schwartz full credit for that and ignoring the amount of talent this team has in its front 7. Ryan who has always been a stand out defensive coach will likely continue to allow the defense to do what it does best which is attack. That's always been his style.

My biggest question are:
1. Who are the OC and DC? If Greg Roman is coming in as an OC that's a huge addition. While I'd like to see Schwartz stick as DC, I just don't see that because of question 2.
2. What will the defensive scheme be? Ryan has always been more of a 34 guy, but we ran a pretty steady 43 last year. I think this team has some versatility but its built for a 43.
3. How much, if any, roster control did we give Rex? I'm curious about the details and structure of the deal since Rex reports directly to Pegula and not to Whaley.

Overall, I'm happy we have a new HC and really pleased that we may have Roman coming as the OC.

I don't know much about Roman except that 49er fans wanted him gone. What excites you about his offense because as someone who is unfamiliar with him I can only go off of what looked to be an underachieving 49ers offense.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:28 AM
It is, but until he's officially released they can't talk to him after being rejected by the Bills.

I believe they can request again.

psubills62
01-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Not really sure how to feel here. I don't think the Jets ever really tried to build for long term success when Ryan was there. Always seemed to look to free agency more than the draft. Initially brought in a bunch of guys from Baltimore and had success.

i think the D will do well. Roman is another one I have mixed feelings about. He has done well overall, and his offense is what helped Alex Smith actually play pretty well. This year they were atrocious on offense, though I really don't know the full story about why. Either way, Roman does seem pretty well respected, so call me intrigued if these reports actually happen.

RedEyE
01-11-2015, 07:30 AM
https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/554274924119195649

Vic Carruci says high team official says they have every intention of retaining Schwartz.

Novacane
01-11-2015, 07:30 AM
I'm really hoping some of the reports are false. Hoping for Schwartz to stay on. Hoping for Greg Roman at OC. Hoping Crossman stays at ST. Do not like the idea of Thurman. Do not like the idea of a 5 year deal.

Why do you even care about the length of contract. It's Pegula's money if this blows up.

justasportsfan
01-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Is he going to bring in that ST trainer who tripped a player?

RedEyE
01-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Is he going to bring in that ST trainer who tripped a player?

Only for games against the Patriots.

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Ryan will face some of the same issues in Buffalo that he faced with the Jets. The Bills have a strong defense but don’t have a franchise quarterback. In 2014, second-year quarterback EJ Manuel was benched and replaced by Kyle Orton, who retired at the end of the season.

justasportsfan
01-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Keeping Schwartz and Henderson would be Rexys first sign of evolving into a HC . You don't mess with a D that broke Peyton, Rodgers ,pats' steaks all in one season

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Well, except Byrd was still really good despite you thinking he is worse than Tavares Tillman or Raion Hill (never understood your hard on for him)

But if they did that one year you might have a point.

Twice is not anomaly. Once is . Not twice

And there is his success against Brady,

But I'm sure that was all luck too. It makes it easy for you to dismiss it

He's 3 wins, 9 losses in the regular season against Brady. His 'success' against Brady is blown out of proportion by one win in the playoffs.

That's the same record Miami has posted against Brady under Sparano and Philbin, over the same time period.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:38 AM
The Buffalo Bills have offered their head-coaching job to Rex Ryan, the News has confirmed.

"There is an offer," a high-ranking Bills source said this morning. "Have not finalized."

ESPN's Adam Schefter and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport are reporting that Ryan and the Bills are working out details of a five-year contract.

The News also learned that the Bills are looking to hire Greg Roman as their new offensive coordinator to replace Nathaniel Hackett. Roman had been the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers since 2011, but became available after head coach Jim Harbaugh left the team to become head coach at the University of Michigan.

Additionally, a high-ranking Bills source told the News that the team has "every intention of keeping" defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Multiple media outlets have reported that Ryan intended to hire Dennis Thurman, his defensive coordinator with the Jets, to replace Schwartz. That would seemingly make more sense considering that Ryan, a former DC, runs a 3-4 base scheme and Schwartz, in his first year with the Bills last season, guided one of the best defenses in the NFL using a 4-3 base.

However, the source said, "Rex wants to win. Whoever is doing the D doesn't matter. It's what's best for the team."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/11/reports-bills-hire-rex-ryan-next-coach/

If they keep Schwartz, Yardie to invent new reason to ***** (e5)

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 07:38 AM

I wAs the biggest Dareus basher last year and deserving so.
Glad to see he finally had a great year.
Still rather of drafted Peterson or Green though.
Dareus won't be a Bill much longer.

Investing $200 million on 2 players on the D line does not win championships.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:43 AM

If they keep Schwartz, Yardie to invent new reason to ***** (e5)

I'll re-iterate, in case you skipped over it...

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Especially since ours is the worst job available and we are going to have to beg someone to take it.HaHaHa. Self loathing Bills' Fans.

How is it the "worst" job? We went 9-7 with a crappy head coach and a mediocre offense. We actually should be 10-6 if you consider the Denver home job a win.

I actually wanted Schwartz promoted. He earned it. Of course, Bills' Fans would have cried about that because of his record in Detroit with the same team that should be playing today.

I don't like Rex Ryan, but he may attract some FA Jets guys because his players generally love him. His offensive philosophy needs to change and we still need a QB. Maybe we will get "The Jets West" and sign Mark ****ing Sanchez.

All in all, I'm skeptical about Ryan. I will support him should he become our next head coach, but I can't get excited about it.

Cleve
01-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Brandon isnt running the show.........that's been pretty clear for months now.

He was involved in the HC selection process.

Dr. Lecter

That was an anomaly

X-Era

If Roman comes on board as OC and they retain Schwartz, that would be very good from a coordinator standpoint. I could live with that.I hate Rex Ryan too. But I can see it being possible that it works out very well for the Bills fortunes.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:47 AM
I wAs the biggest Dareus basher last year and deserving so.
Glad to see he finally had a great year.
Still rather of drafted Peterson or Green though.
Dareus won't be a Bill much longer.

Investing $200 million on 2 players on the D line does not win championships.
Dareus is going nowhere and won't get 100 million either

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:48 AM
:clap: it's an argument in the waiting on what he gets. I agree. It won't be 100 mill.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:49 AM

If they keep Schwartz, Yardie to invent new reason to ***** (e5)Yardrat is one of the few sensible posters here.

Then again, with your move to the left of the political spectrum it follows that you would side with the real crybabies that inhabit this website.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Yardrat is one of the few sensible posters here.

Then again, with your move to the left of the political spectrum it follows that you would side with the real crybabies that inhabit this website.
He usually is.

With Ryan (and Byrd) he isn't

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:51 AM
He's 3 wins, 9 losses in the regular season against Brady. His 'success' against Brady is blown out of proportion by one win in the playoffs.

That's the same record Miami has posted against Brady under Sparano and Philbin, over the same time period.

Howard WGR ‏@hsimon62 8m8 minutes ago

Rex Ryan's Jets were 3-9 vs NE in reg season. 3-3 home. 0-6 at NE. Last 3 yrs at NE lost by 3 pts(OT), 3 pts and 2 pts

Novacane
HaHaHa. Self loathing Bills' Fans.

How is it the "worst" job? We went 9-7 with a crappy head coach and a mediocre offense. We actually should be 10-6 if you consider the Denver home job a win.

I actually wanted Schwartz promoted. He earned it. Of course, Bills' Fans would have cried about that because of his record in Detroit with the same team that should be playing today.

I don't like Rex Ryan, but he may attract some FA Jets guys because his players generally love him. His offensive philosophy needs to change and we still need a QB. Maybe we will get "The Jets West" and sign Mark ****ing Sanchez.

All in all, I'm skeptical about Ryan. I will support him should he become our next head coach, but I can't get excited about it.

That post was Sarcasm. Somewhere there's a thread where people were saying that.

MikeInRoch
I wonder if they had to throw in the contract a god damned snack.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:53 AM
He usually is.

With Ryan (and Byrd) he isn'tI think it has been borne out that Jairus Byrd was not worth the money he was asking.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 07:55 AM
I think it has been borne out that Jairus Byrd was not worth the money he was asking.
Most didn't think he was worth the money he got.

That was NEVER the point

pmoon6
That post was Sarcasm. Somewhere there's a thread where people were saying that.Sorry, I must have missed that thread.

Slap me upside the head for not recognizing your sarcasm.

Dr. Lecter
Howard WGR ‏@hsimon62 1m1 minute ago

for those who want Jets/NFL ranks in yds per game. Offense was: 20, 11, 25, 30, 25 and 22 from 2009-2014. D was 1,3,5,8,11,6

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:58 AM

That was NEVER the pointMoney and a players' worth is always a point. If you pay a safety that much, where do they get the cash to sign the guys that drive the defense, namely Marcel Dareus and Brandon Spikes. As it is, Hughes will probably go because we can't afford him.

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Some people on here think he is.
Hope you are right but if I'm betting on it, he's gone.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:59 AM

That was NEVER the point

Maybe not for you, but if it wasn't there wouldn't have been so many damn comments about 'pay the man', 'he's elite', 'Ralph is cheap', etc.

One would think after all of these years you would have learned something. But noooooo....

YardRat
01-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Howard WGR ‏@hsimon62 8m8 minutes ago

Rex Ryan's Jets were 3-9 vs NE in reg season. 3-3 home. 0-6 at NE. Last 3 yrs at NE lost by 3 pts(OT), 3 pts and 2 pts

Howard WGR ‏@hsimon62 1m1 minute ago

for those who want Jets/NFL ranks in yds per game. Offense was: 20, 11, 25, 30, 25 and 22 from 2009-2014. D was 1,3,5,8,11,6

Please...don't ever fact-check me using Howard freakin' Simon again...it's demeaning and insulting.

We both know ypg doesn't mean ****, it's ppg that matter much more.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Please...don't ever fact-check me using Howard freakin' Simon again...it's demeaning and insulting.

We both know ypg doesn't mean ****, it's ppg that matter much more.
Yes, facts are demeaning.

They are both relevant. If your offense keeps giving a team short fields, the other team will score more. And with Geno and Vick that happened a lot.

So, yes - facts do matter

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Maybe not for you, but if it wasn't there wouldn't have been so many damn comments about 'pay the man', 'he's elite', 'Ralph is cheap', etc.

One would think after all of these years you would have learned something. But noooooo....
No, it was about how they approached guys like him (and Levitre) and waiting until the last minute to try and get a deal done. It ends up costing more. Hopefully, they work on Dareus this offseason.

It's also about your complete inability to give Byrd any credit for anything at all he did.

Novacane
01-11-2015, 08:19 AM

They clincher was an endorsement deal from the good feet store!

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 08:19 AM
It's also about your complete inability to give Byrd any credit for anything at all he did.
Byrd was great his rookie year at being in the right place at the right time to catch all those tipped balls.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Yes, facts are demeaning.

They are both relevant. If your offense keeps giving a team short fields, the other team will score more. And with Geno and Vick that happened a lot.

So, yes - facts do matter

I posted the facts first, that's not demeaning...using GR to confirm them is.

Ryan coached for more than just Smith and Geno...you can't lay the disparity between ypg and ppg at their feet only.

Yes, facts do matter...that's why I posted them to bust the myth of how much success Ryan has had against Brady. Close losses don't count, even against NE, we all should be more than aware of that.

No, it was about how they approached guys like him (and Levitre) and waiting until the last minute to try and get a deal done. It ends up costing more. Hopefully, they work on Dareus this offseason.

That was a minor point, mostly pushed by jimmi, which I don't necessarily disagree with. However, in Byrd's case specifically, it's a good thing they did. Levitre also. Dareus is probably already too late, I don't think it's unsafe to assume he's going to be looking for McCoy money.

I've always given credit for Byrd being 'good', just not 'great' or 'elite'. Big difference. The play of the defense, especially the secondary, this past season has justified that quite nicely IMO.

Fixxxer
01-11-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't know much about Roman except that 49er fans wanted him gone. What excites you about his offense because as someone who is unfamiliar with him I can only go off of what looked to be an underachieving 49ers offense.

Same thing with Steelers fans and Bruce Arians. I liked the way that offense bullied defenses at times, hopefully he can lure Iupati if he gets the gig.

I'm wary of the Ryan persona, I hope he learned a lesson or two about leading men and that what he says in a podium could have a negative impact on the team, like inflating a player's ego to the point of giving him a catchy nickname and a reason to ask for more money. I don't like that he doesn't think before he speaks giving unintended press fodder to the other team.

His teams were a ***** to play against when he had talent, I hated the way he ran all over Chan's defenses and how he smack his offenses in the face. It was less traumatic to face his team the last couple of years and for the most part I thought his teams were not well prepared when they faced us.

Overall I think he's a good coach but he's lousy getting out of bad situations, like making a good coordinator the scapegoat because he couldn't win with a creation of his, the Sanchize. Brian Schottenheimer was a good playcaller that could not perform miracles and everything went haywire when the big fatties on that big OL started to go down.
I don't know if Tebow was his decision but with the way he talked about him you would think he was the best thing to happen to the Jets.
Going from Schottenheimer to Sparano and then Morhinweg is regressing when choosing people to work with. Lets hope Roman is a sure thing and not just a Ryan's desire.

It will difficult to keep Schwartz, I don't know what Ryan's plans will be but I hope he tries to retain him.

I would have preferred an offensive minded coach and kept the defense intact with Schwartz, I was hoping we would interview Kubiak for the HC job. We will see what happens, we could have done a lot worse than Ryan.

better days
01-11-2015, 08:22 AM

Well this may be the clincher why Rex came to Buffalo.

No better place in the World to get a snack.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 08:24 AM

It's also about your complete inability to give Byrd any credit for anything at all he did.Yard and I did give credit for Byrd being a good centerfielder and getting picks...just like Mark Kelso.

However, to be paid as the top safety, you also have to come up in run support and make the big stick. Byrd was either incapable or didn't want to give himself to that part of the game.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Well this may be the clincher why Rex came to Buffalo.

No better place in the World to get a snack.Ryans signing bonus is free lifetime chicken wings at Anchor Bar and 200 Bocce pizzas.

better days
01-11-2015, 08:30 AM
That was a minor point, mostly pushed by jimmi, which I don't necessarily disagree with. However, in Byrd's case specifically, it's a good thing they did. Levitre also. Dareus is probably already too late, I don't think it's unsafe to assume he's going to be looking for McCoy money.

I've always given credit for Byrd being 'good', just not 'great' or 'elite'. Big difference. The play of the defense, especially the secondary, this past season has justified that quite nicely IMO.

Dareus is under contract for next year.

It is not too late at all to extend his contract.

In fact the timing is perfect. Why risk getting injured next year when you can sign a contract that pays GOOD money?

better days
01-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Ryans signing bonus is free lifetime chicken wings at Anchor Bar and 200 Bocce pizzas.

Along with 500 Mighty Tacos & 500 Schwables Roast Beef Sandwiches are the closer on the deal.

better days
01-11-2015, 08:38 AM
And I would love to see Rex bring Trestman with him.

As much as people hate Cutler, he has played his best with Trestman as his Coach.

The Bears did not lose because of Trestman & Cutler. They lost because the Bears have a TERRIBLE defense.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Marc Trestman will get whatever there is in EJ Manuel out.

It's what he does and has done since the early 80s at The U.

WagonCircler
01-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Ryans signing bonus is free lifetime chicken wings at Anchor Bar and 200 Bocce pizzas.

200 Bocce Pizzas? That's just for July.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2015, 09:20 AM
I posted the facts first, that's not demeaning...using GR to confirm them is.

Ryan coached for more than just Smith and Geno...you can't lay the disparity between ypg and ppg at their feet only.

Yes, facts do matter...that's why I posted them to bust the myth of how much success Ryan has had against Brady. Close losses don't count, even against NE, we all should be more than aware of that.

With the talent the Jets had this year, keeping it close does count for something. In fact, it's kinda impressive. The Jets were a damn bad team.

No, it's a point a bunch of us brought up. I know I did several times as well.

Dareus still has a year on his deal. It's the perfect time. Extend him. Now.

And no, letting Levitre go without a fight wasn't good. Not with Eric Pears starting at guard

X-Era
01-11-2015, 09:23 AM
With the talent the Jets had this year, keeping it close does count for something. In fact, it's kinda impressive. The Jets were a damn bad team.

No, it's a point a bunch of us brought up. I know I did several times as well.

Dareus still has a year on his deal. It's the perfect time. Extend him. Now.

And no, letting Levitre go without a fight wasn't good. Not with Eric Pears starting at guard If we're paying top dollar on a G, which I don't agree with necessarily, I like Iupati better than Levitre.

GingerP
01-11-2015, 09:34 AM
I would think Roman would be an interesting option at OC. I wonder if they would consider running the Read Option with EJ. It would make things easier for him, and really focus on the run game.

I wonder if they try to sign Revis as well. That would weaken the Patriots while helping the Bills.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 09:43 AM
I would think Roman would be an interesting option at OC. I wonder if they would consider running the Read Option with EJ. It would make things easier for him, and really focus on the run game.

I wonder if they try to sign Revis as well. That would weaken the Patriots while helping the Bills.
Getting Revis would come at a hefty price both against the cap but also in what we may need to give up on trying to resign like Hughes.

HHURRICANE
01-11-2015, 09:46 AM
This makes zero sense. You're hiring a defense only coach, when the defense is already Super Bowl caliber. How does this help Manuel? Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I like about Rex, but this one is a head scratcher.

It seems like everytime one part of our team is improving we immediately run out to fix the other side. I like the idea of someone who respects what's there and will keep it from falling apart while we address the weakness methodically. It's not like Marrone coached up our offense.

Meathead
01-11-2015, 09:48 AM
so youre saying this hire will bankrupt anchor bar

DraftBoy
01-11-2015, 09:50 AM
so youre saying this hire will bankrupt anchor bar
Bankrupt it? Hell no, it'll make millions.

Meathead
01-11-2015, 09:56 AM
god I wish Marrone had got the Jets job. I think we would have got the better of that swap, and wed get to see that play out twice a year

and can you imagine how torturous that's going to be for Jets fans if ryan comes here and is successful? given how much better the Bills roster is right now then the Jets we should get to enjoy rubhing that in for the next several years

BleedinGreenNC
01-11-2015, 09:59 AM
god I wish Marrone had got the Jets job. I think we would have got the better of that swap, and wed get to see that play out twice a year

and can you imagine how torturous that's going to be for Jets fans if ryan comes here and is successful? given how much better the Bills roster is right now then the Jets we should get to enjoy rubhing that in for the next several years

With what QB?

Buffalogic
01-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Rex HC Roman oc. Big improvement.

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:00 AM
With what QB?
Again... more nipples

BleedinGreenNC
01-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Rex HC Roman oc. Big improvement.

I see improvement in the OC, but not the HC, IMO.

Buffalogic
01-11-2015, 10:04 AM
I see improvement in the OC, but not the HC, IMO.
Our former hc was a divisive quitter. It's an improvement to get rex.

BleedinGreenNC
01-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Our former hc was a divisive quitter. It's an improvement to get rex.

Be careful what you wish for.

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:06 AM

GingerP
01-11-2015, 10:16 AM
I wonder if this means they go after Sanchez as a veteran QB.

Buffalogic
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
It means party at dave and busters first and foremost.

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I wonder if this means they go after Sanchez as a veteran QB.
Bank on him being our QB

Meathead
01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
ej-sanchez-draftee

thats our qb comp

Fixxxer
01-11-2015, 10:40 AM
ej-sanchez-draftee

thats our qb comp

I would really dislike to see Sanchez in a Bills uniform. Bring Mallett or Bradford if available or trade for Schaub and draft someone like Cook.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 10:40 AM
ej-sanchez-draftee

thats our qb comp
Run the spread and draft Petty

wolfpack
01-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Marc Trestman will get whatever there is in EJ Manuel out.

It's what he does and has done since the early 80s at The U.

Russell Wilson: Marc Trestman Knew I Could Play QB Before N.C. State
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/30/russell-wilson-marc-trestman-knew-i-could-play-qb-before-n-c-state/

djjimkelly
01-11-2015, 10:47 AM
good for us rex ryan is a very smart man and this is a major upgrade over marrone

good for us bills fans !!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Sports Xchange reports: 'The Bills also hope to keep Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator. The defense ranked fourth in the NFL and had a league-leading 54 sacks this past season.'

notacon
01-11-2015, 10:51 AM

Exactly.

I like this hire. Rex is a known quantity and has proven to be a good coach. Biggest evidence to me is how, no matter what the Jets record, they always give the Pats, and Belichick, fits.

That is ALL about coaching.

Now, if we could just get a GM who does not make bonehead deals and do EVERYTHING to land a quality QB, the Bills may be a force.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 10:57 AM
That GM probably had a pretty big say in bringing Ryan in.

better days
01-11-2015, 11:07 AM
With what QB?

To be determined.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 11:13 AM
To be determined.IMO, a spread offense opens up the options. I still like Petty.

better days
01-11-2015, 11:15 AM
IMO, a spread offense opens up the options. I still like Petty.

Well, maybe the new OC will play to EJ's strengths.

He brought out the best in both Alex Smith & Kaepernick.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Well, maybe the new OC will play to EJ's strengths.

He brought out the best in both Alex Smith & Kaepernick.
I think it can be easier for a QB. Often uses quick throws without progressions.

Skooby
01-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Is this official yet ? I got a text saying Rex Ryan from someone not expecting this to come together, so call me spooked.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Is this official yet ? I got a text saying Rex Ryan from someone not expecting this to come together, so call me spooked.

Latest reports say that now Roman and Ryan are in Boca right now.

Sounds like this is all coming together beautifully.

Strongman
01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm not the biggest EJ fan, but I'm actually interested to see how EJ will do with a real OC like Roman.