PDA

View Full Version : Great read on Greg Roman

X-Era
01-11-2015, 10:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--offensive-guru-and-coaching-candidate-greg-roman-a-victim-of-his--niners--success-022509392.html

"My post-New England mindset was to hold back and try to save things for the playoffs," Roman says. "We did a bunch of [read-option plays] against New England, but you run into that question of exposure. The reality is that you've got to win playoff games. That was definitely part of the plan. Because NFL teams are too good — you start showing something and having success, they're gonna find a way to stop it.
"You don't want to make a living on it. If you can win a game and hold that back, why not? I coached defense. I know what it's like when you have to prepare for something like that. It's all hands on deck. It's mayhem."

Another read on his system:

http://insidethefilmroom.com/22-film-breakdown-49ers-midseason-offensive-review-part-2/

It's a combo of power run game and spread passing. I like it.

coastal
01-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Totally psyched about these hires

BillsImpossible
01-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Now I don't even care about today's games, Go Bills!

Roman can fix the offensive line and establish a running game that will gain more than 77 yards a game.

A team has to be able to protect the quarterback and run the ball before they can expect a young QB to pass.

Season ticket sales are going to explode!

X-Era
01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I'd like Petty in the 3rd a whole lot better in a spread.

EDS
01-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Roman is probably tantalized by the idea of working with Anthony Dixon again.

I am torn. SF had had Kap, Gore, Bolden, V. Davis and a better o-line and no playoffs. But he will work magic with EJ and company?

X-Era
01-11-2015, 11:20 AM

I am torn. SF had had Kap, Gore, Bolden, V. Davis and a better o-line and no playoffs. But he will work magic with EJ and company?They got shred on the OL with injuries. Kap is overrated as well.

Buffalogic
01-11-2015, 11:49 AM

I am torn. SF had had Kap, Gore, Bolden, V. Davis and a better o-line and no playoffs. But he will work magic with EJ and company?major dissension within the niners this year though. Harbaugh/baalke power struggle along with a faction of players angry with Harb over how he treated Alex smith really broke that team down this year. It was reported the team dressed in two different areas to be kept separated because the players were so divided.

So based on the history last year is probably the exception and the rule is he is a good offensive mind that will improve our offense.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I'd like Petty in the 3rd a whole lot better in a spread.

I'd draft the kid in the 2nd round. Did you watch the Patriots game yesterday? They ran the ball 13 times the entire game, don't think they ran it once in the 2nd half.

Spread offense, all day long.

kingJofNYC
01-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Niners fans hated this guy this year, some last year too. My buddy loathes him. We'll see how it works out.

psubills62
01-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Very good read.

Color me intrigued by Greg Roman. It's a little odd that he hasn't gotten a HC job yet, maybe he's just a bad interview.

Either way, I remember reading an article years ago (on smartfootball.com) about Alex Smith's resurgence under Harbaugh/Roman. They designed the offensive plays so that any hot routes were embedded within the play itself. This way, if the defense blitzed, the only thing that would change is the order of the reads, rather than the routes themselves. Not only did it cut down on communication issues, but it simplified things for Smith and the WR's. When I read that, I remembered thinking that was really pretty smart.

It would be a strong combination of O and D with Roman and Ryan aboard, especially if Schwartz sticks. I also like that Roman is used to working with the huge OL/power blockers that are similar to what we have.

Don't Panic
01-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Awesome read. High accolades...

"He kind of reminded me of [Jon] Gruden," Seifert recalls. "Gruden would always sit and watch [veteran offensive line coach] Bobb McKittrick's meetings and delve into all aspects of the game. Basically, Greg was the same kind of guy. It wasn't like he was just gonna work with the tight ends. He was gonna know every facet of the offense. He knew it, in some ways, better than some of the coaches on the staff.

"He's the best coordinator I've ever had," says running back Frank Gore, the Niners' all-time franchise rushing leader. "I respect Norv Turner and Mike Martz, but G-Ro is a very smart guy. He made the game so easy for everybody — for me, for our line, for our quarterback. I want him to be with me forever, but I want him to be a head coach. He deserves it. He'll be a great one. I feel that if everything goes right, this'll be his last year with us."

Joe Staley, the 49ers' Pro Bowl left tackle, elaborates: "I've never been around a coordinator who understands everything. Not just X's and O's and how you draw it up, but the bigger picture, too. Watching games [on tape], I find myself saying, 'This is a perfect call here.' It seems seamless to him. There are a lot of guys who are really smart with plays and who run creative schemes, but it's the way you call those plays that makes all the difference. He's great at both. He's very innovative."

WagonCircler
01-11-2015, 12:28 PM

I am torn. SF had had Kap, Gore, Bolden, V. Davis and a better o-line and no playoffs. But he will work magic with EJ and company?

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Sanchez.

None of these guys come here if it's EJ.

coastal
01-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Awesome read. High accolades...

"He kind of reminded me of [Jon] Gruden," Seifert recalls. "Gruden would always sit and watch [veteran offensive line coach] Bobb McKittrick's meetings and delve into all aspects of the game. Basically, Greg was the same kind of guy. It wasn't like he was just gonna work with the tight ends. He was gonna know every facet of the offense. He knew it, in some ways, better than some of the coaches on the staff.

"He's the best coordinator I've ever had," says running back Frank Gore, the Niners' all-time franchise rushing leader. "I respect Norv Turner and Mike Martz, but G-Ro is a very smart guy. He made the game so easy for everybody — for me, for our line, for our quarterback. I want him to be with me forever, but I want him to be a head coach. He deserves it. He'll be a great one. I feel that if everything goes right, this'll be his last year with us."

Joe Staley, the 49ers' Pro Bowl left tackle, elaborates: "I've never been around a coordinator who understands everything. Not just X's and O's and how you draw it up, but the bigger picture, too. Watching games [on tape], I find myself saying, 'This is a perfect call here.' It seems seamless to him. There are a lot of guys who are really smart with plays and who run creative schemes, but it's the way you call those plays that makes all the difference. He's great at both. He's very innovative."
whens the last time you read that about any Bills coach?

mrbojanglezs
01-11-2015, 12:42 PM
can EJ be salvaged in this offense?

Ingtar33
01-11-2015, 12:54 PM
roman is a better match for ej then anyone else we could have hired. If we're stuck with ej this year, atleast roman will get something from him

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2015, 12:56 PM

The fact they are going after Roman means they are giving EJ last shot. Just last Smith, Greg Roman will design offense catering to EJ's skill set. And let the defense win the game.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Absolutely. A spread can mean many throws without decisions to make... quick throws to the primary guy.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Absolutely. A spread can mean many throws without decisions to make... quick throws to the primary guy.

My biggest issue is Kaepernick has not turned the page of being an athlete playing QB. As it inflates the 49ers rush totals and if look at their WR depth it's filled to the brim and yet they don't have great pass totals. Also they've struggled in the red zone. I'm not a Roman fan as think he's rode the coattails of Luck and Kap. I wish Trestman was the choice instead as he has a better track record and better group of underlings.

DraftBoy
01-11-2015, 02:43 PM
No one in the NFL runs more trap or wham plays than the 49ers.

This makes me smile so much.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2015, 06:11 AM
I'm hoping he learned from the Kaepernick experience. When Kap came in for Smith, they pretty much let him do what his instincts telling him to do, in which case he showed being a much more dangerous runner. Then they tried to "add" to his game of a pocket passer, resulting a more thinking, hesitant QB.

I see a similar thing happened to EJ Manuel. It looked to me he was better off without a QB coach in 2013 than he had one in 2014. A developing QB like EJ cannot play under the fear of getting hurt or throwing INTs. The way this team is constructed now, I think fixing the running game should be the top priority.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 01:19 PM
EJ?

It's TUEL TIME!!!!!!

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2015, 01:44 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/554642785371164672

Chris Trapasso‏<s>@</s>ChrisTrapasso<small class="time">6h6 hours ago (http://www.billszone.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/554642785371164672)</small><s>#</s>Bills (http://www.billszone.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) source: "Ryan views EJ as step up at QB because he's not a turnover machine like Sanchez, Geno, Vick. Whaley sold that, Rex agreed."

I'm not convinced that EJ is a franchise QB material, but I do believe he can be better than Sanchez ever was. If I were Roman, I'd handle EJ the same way as they are doing at Ohio State (albeit a little more expanded). Give EJ two reads on every passing play. If not there, run, scramble, do what your instinct tells you to do.

sudzy
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/554642785371164672

Chris Trapasso‏<s>@</s>ChrisTrapasso<small class="time">6h6 hours ago (http://www.billszone.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/554642785371164672)</small><s>#</s>Bills (http://www.billszone.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) source: "Ryan views EJ as step up at QB because he's not a turnover machine like Sanchez, Geno, Vick. Whaley sold that, Rex agreed."

I'm not convinced that EJ is a franchise QB material, but I do believe he can be better than Sanchez ever was. If I were Roman, I'd handle EJ the same way as they are doing at Ohio State (albeit a little more expanded). Give EJ two reads on every passing play. If not there, run, scramble, do what your instinct tells you to do.

Hello 3-0 games

RedEyE
01-12-2015, 02:58 PM
The offense intrigues me but reading these articles I'm concerned Roman might be an over thinker. And quite possibly coach himself out of the game. Its OK to be inventive and take chances but there has to be substance at the base level. That base level has to be the start, finish and restart when things start to sour. Gailey was an over thinker and coached the offense out of several games because he would get too cute with the simple plays and the base offense ran out of a complex formula that would almost always pass underneath in a series of screens. Part of the issue was the lack of talent at WR and QB, but my point is he focused intentionally too much on the scheme and not enough on perfecting the execution.

Belichick has a formula that wins. Granted a lot of it works because of Brady, but Belichick hammers home what works and forces defenses to find a fix - they haven't yet. Big receiving TEs. Stout interior line. Serviceable RBs that can pass block and receive but nothing special to right home about. And a blue collar slot receiver with speed and decent hands. With the exception of Brady, all of the other players are replaceable. One goes down he has 2 just like him on reserve....plug and play.

What I'm getting at is Belichick orchestrates the offense at its simplest form and focuses on preparation and exposing mismatches in the game. He doesn't get cute. When a play works he uses it again and again until the defense can finally show they can stop the bleeding. Its not rocket science. Its not unnecessary scheming. Its nickle and dime. Expose the weakness. It is execution as close to perfection as possible and not accepting anything less.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Belichick has a formula that wins.

It's called Brady.

Don't think the Pats will be as good once Brady is gone. Wouldn't be surprised if BB retires together with Brady.

jamze132
01-12-2015, 03:29 PM
I haven't been this excited about a Bills coach change since they canned Jauron!

RedEyE
01-12-2015, 05:33 PM
It's called Brady.

Don't think the Pats will be as good once Brady is gone. Wouldn't be surprised if BB retires together with Brady.

Oh yeah. Its definitely a marriage. I don't think Brady is as good in any other offense. And Belichick would be at a loss without Marsha.

jimmifli
01-12-2015, 09:29 PM
http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/Greg-Roman/d5446825-2178-4237-ab3d-f3fca703dfd2

Since his arrival to the club in 2011, Roman’s offense has been an unstoppable force, especially on the ground. In each of his three seasons calling the plays, the rushing attack has ranked in the top 10 in the NFL each season in total rushing yards - 3rd in 2013 (2,201 yards), 4th in 2012 (2,491 yards) and 8th in 2011 (2,044 yards). It is the first time since 2001-03 that a 49ers offense has ranked in the top 10 in the NFL three consecutive seasons in that category. The 6,736 rushing yards over his three seasons with the team is the 2nd most in the NFL over that time span.

Not only have the 49ers been able to move the ball each year under Roman, the offense has consistently been able to avoid turnovers. From 2011-13, the 49ers have only committed 44 turnovers which ranks 1st in the NFL over that time span and is nine fewer turnovers than the second place team ​

Sounds like a great fit for a team with defense and special teams units that doesn't give up points and provide the offense one of the best average drive starts in the NFL. Sign a G, draft a G and hope Rex doesn't **** up his side of the ball.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 10:02 PM
It's called Brady.

Belichick had the Browns at 11-5 in 94 with Testaverde and they were the offseason darling to be the AFC Superbowl representative in 1995 before the move screwed up that entire season.

He's a good coach who will still win after Brady. Of course they won't be a year in and year out powerhouse anymore without Brady. But that team still won 11 games with Cassel at QB.

Kenny
01-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Belichick had the Browns at 11-5 in 94 with Testaverde and they were the offseason darling to be the AFC Superbowl representative in 1995 before the move screwed up that entire season.

He's a good coach who will still win after Brady. Of course they won't be a year in and year out powerhouse anymore without Brady. But that team still won 11 games with Cassel at QB.

Agreed... Cassel looked pretty good when Marsha went down.

Historian
01-13-2015, 07:14 AM
I haven't been this excited about a Bills coach change since they canned Jauron!

"Ohhhh....I love these guys....and I love this game..."

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Belichick has a formula that wins. Granted a lot of it works because of Brady, but Belichick hammers home what works and forces defenses to find a fix - they haven't yet. Big receiving TEs. Stout interior line. Serviceable RBs that can pass block and receive but nothing special to right home about. And a blue collar slot receiver with speed and decent hands. With the exception of Brady, all of the other players are replaceable. One goes down he has 2 just like him on reserve....plug and play.

What I'm getting at is Belichick orchestrates the offense at its simplest form and focuses on preparation and exposing mismatches in the game. He doesn't get cute. When a play works he uses it again and again until the defense can finally show they can stop the bleeding. Its not rocket science. Its not unnecessary scheming. Its nickle and dime. Expose the weakness. It is execution as close to perfection as possible and not accepting anything less.

Gronk is the straw that stirs the drink in that offense now. He's so outrageous that teams have to overcommit to stop him, and when they do Brady punishes them by finding the open guy. When they don't, Gronk beats them. When Gronk is out, that offense is beatable. I mean, obviously they weren't going full speed on us in Week 17, but with Gronk on the sidelines Brady was barely doing anything on us.

better days
01-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Gronk is the straw that stirs the drink in that offense now. He's so outrageous that teams have to overcommit to stop him, and when they do Brady punishes them by finding the open guy. When they don't, Gronk beats them. When Gronk is out, that offense is beatable. I mean, obviously they weren't going full speed on us in Week 17, but with Gronk on the sidelines Brady was barely doing anything on us.

Agreed, I was going to say the same thing.

Strongman
01-13-2015, 05:17 PM
It's called Brady.

I think it's more this:

http://www.pimall.com/nais/tacticalsurveillance.html

Uncle Jesse
01-14-2015, 09:12 AM
EJ Manuel is 5-2 when he throws less than 30 times. Hello Greg Roman and his power run game

swiper
01-15-2015, 04:24 AM
49ers: Greg Roman tunes out his detractors (http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-Greg-Roman-tunes-out-his-detractors-5936610.php)

- - - Updated - - -

Booby Dixon has to be happy.