PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to hate the Rex Ryan signing

justasportsfan
01-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Manboobs.
He said he wasn't here to kiss BB rings hut he did.
He makes guarantees he can't cash in. Hope he doesn't have Whitners phone number

Cleve
01-11-2015, 12:36 PM
My number one reason to hate the Rex Ryan Signing?

Drum-roll......

ta-da!!!

1. - Rex Ryan

That is all.

Skooby
01-11-2015, 12:37 PM
You knew this would start eventually, time for the trolls to dig their lines.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Manboobs.
He said he wasn't here to kiss BB rings hut he did.
He makes guarantees he can't cash in. Hope he doesn't have Whitners phone numberLol. Only fair.

DynaPaul
01-11-2015, 01:17 PM
I like the signing but I want to keep Schwartz and get a real OC. If we do that I'll be real happy.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say 'hate', but some reasons it may not be the best...

1-His record in NY is a downward slide.
2-His 'success against NE' is a myth.
3-His offensive coordinator choices and philosophy are questionable.
4-If we lose Schwartz and/or try to 'fix' the defense back into a 34 it would be a travesty, probably the only real reason I would hate the hire, but that remains unresolved atm.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say 'hate', but some reasons it may not be the best...

1-His record in NY is a downward slide.
2-His 'success against NE' is a myth.
3-His offensive coordinator choices and philosophy are questionable.
4-If we lose Schwartz and/or try to 'fix' the defense back into a 34 it would be a travesty, probably the only real reason I would hate the hire, but that remains unresolved atm.Discounting the NE success? I didn't see your reasons in other thread sif you provided it but why are you saying this?

YardRat
01-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Discounting the NE success? I didn't see your reasons in other thread sif you provided it but why are you saying this?

3-9 isn't success, and close losses don't count. 3-9 is the same 'success' Sparano and Philbin have against NE for Miami in the same time span for the regular season.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 01:37 PM
3-9 isn't success, and close losses don't count. 3-9 is the same 'success' Sparano and Philbin have against NE for Miami in the same time span for the regular season.I look at it as an upgrade to little to no success. We just won our first game in Gillette stadium ever.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 01:40 PM
I look at it as an upgrade to little to no success. We just won our first game in Gillette stadium ever.

I don't think Ryan has won there yet in the regular season.

Typ0
01-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Doesn't beating them there in the playoffs count as like 10 regular season games though? Just sayin'....

YardRat
01-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Doesn't beating them there in the playoffs count as like 10 regular season games though? Just sayin'....

No

jamze132
01-11-2015, 01:54 PM
I like the hire. Much better than a coordinator with no HC experience.

Mace
01-11-2015, 01:57 PM
I guess it just doesn't make sense to me at this point. I don't understand it. It baffles me besides the "grab the big shiny" theory.

I'm not real sure why people think it's easy to just keep Schwartz and everything is fine. Ryan's strength is defense. Blitzing 3-4/4-6 hybrid defense. Schwartz is wide-9 4-3 linemen supply the rush. Pettine's Ryan defense was effective (Lawson/Branch), Schwartz changed it and it worked better.
- so you either remove Ryan's greatest strength as a coach, or you change the Bills biggest asset and need get other players to make it work
-the basic diffs in philosophy will make same basic diffs in staff to apply it, Schwartz using Ryan's staff, or Rex coming without the people he's comfortable with ?

Same situationas in NY, needs an OC and a QB to make some offense.
-so Ryan will be dependent on his OC's choice of staff, he has to be to have a prayer of some OC saving the day. So maybe Ryan has to come here without bringing in any staff, if Schwartz keeps his and OC brings his, or he makes his OC accept his choices when he knows nothing about offense ?
-this means you lean on Ryan as a manager type coach, but he doesn't do offense, he only manages one side of the ball, so again you aren't using his strengths efficiently to start with
-Leaning so hard on OC candidate, basically puts fate in the hands of the OC candidate not Ryan to begin with

Hiring a defensive coach, considering all the above, what's any diff about hiring Schwartz, because at least you have something successful you don't need worry about and solid staff in place to keep it going. Then it rolls back into OC candidate.

I don't really hate the hire, but can't love it either. It just doesn't make sense to me, like hiring a carpenter when you have a plumbing problem, or hiring a plumber to fix your car. It's not the plumber or carpenter, but the context of hiring them.

I dunno. I just find it weird and can't imagine why Rex is buying into it, or what the whole of the FO is thinking.

Dr. Who
01-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Bradham and Hughes thrived with Schwartz's system. I hope we keep the current defense.

I was surprised by the hire, but you can't say OBD didn't bring a lot of people in.
Whatever was said, Rex came across as the best choice.
I'd rather think positive. Anyone who would rather look for the dark cloud can go read Rodak's tweets.
He is always looking for the most negative way to put things.

paladin warrior
01-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Motor mouth or a rubber lip .

X-Era
01-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Bradham and Hughes thrived with Schwartz's system. I hope we keep the current defense.

I was surprised by the hire, but you can't say OBD didn't bring a lot of people in.
Whatever was said, Rex came across as the best choice.
I'd rather think positive. Anyone who would rather look for the dark cloud can go read Rodak's tweets.
He is always looking for the most negative way to put things.I think we may see a vet from one of his defenses as a FA signing. Guys like Landry, Harris, or even Revis could be in play.

justasportsfan
01-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Sexy Rexy can't diss EJ because EJ can look him in the eyes and say "A own yo a$$ and yo D Rexy"

doug45
01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
I like the hire. Much better than a coordinator with no HC experience.

Experience taking a team to the worst record!

Typ0
01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
The thing I don't get is the jets have been horrible for years. He must have really had a grasp on why and articulated it during the interview process with a plan to make the Bills a competitor for championships.

CommissarSpartacus
01-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Uh, didn't we just clobber the Jets TWICE?

Both away games?

So, when our crappy coach quits, the best option is to grab the coach of a team we smoked 81 - 26 over two games?

And his specialty is defense, where the Bills were a superior unit anyway?

WTF?

X-Era
01-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Uh, didn't we just clobber the Jets TWICE?

Both away games?

So, when our crappy coach quits, the best option is to grab the coach of a team we smoked 81 - 26 over two games?

And his specialty is defense, where the Bills were a superior unit anyway?

WTF?Please provide the clearly superior choice.

CommissarSpartacus
01-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Please provide the clearly superior choice.

Is that your position? Everyone else is crappier so Rex make sense?

X-Era
01-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Is that your position? Everyone else is crappier so Rex make sense?I'm not going with crappier but if that's the way you want to phrase it sure.

The goal is to get the best HC candidate you can. Do you have a better solution?

jpdex12
01-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I think we may see a vet from one of his defenses as a FA signing. Guys like Landry, Harris, or even Revis could be in play.
I'd be happy with Willie Colon for now and if we lose Spikes then Harris at MLB.

swiper
01-11-2015, 05:27 PM
His players play soooooo hard for him that a Marrone-coached, Bills team with stud QBs beat him by a total of 81 - 26 this past season. Ryan is a buffoon.

CommissarSpartacus
01-11-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm not going with crappier but if that's the way you want to phrase it sure.

The goal is to get the best HC candidate you can. Do you have a better solution?

Have I been with the Pegulas in the interviews? Don't be silly.

I posted a number of times that I thought Schwart2 was the best guy for the job.

I don't think Schwart2 stays now.

How does he take orders from a guy he embarrassed twice during the season?

X-Era
01-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Have I been with the Pegulas in the interviews? Don't be silly.

I posted a number of times that I thought Schwart2 was the best guy for the job.

I don't think Schwart2 stays now.

How does he take orders from a guy he embarrassed twice during the season?
Schwartz is a push at best. Ryan has the better pedigree.

Good news though, we still have Schwartz too.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 05:35 PM

I think Schwartz or Jackson would have been a better choice...maybe even Kubiak or Shurmur.

swiper
01-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Pedigree? He's a buffoon. His brother is a bigger buffoon who is a terrible DC. And his father was the king of buffoons.

swiper
01-11-2015, 05:36 PM
I think Schwartz or Jackson would have been a better choice...maybe even Kubiak or Shurmur.

Schwartz or Kubiak

CommissarSpartacus
01-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Schwartz is a push at best. Ryan has the better pedigree.

Good news though, we still have Schwartz too.

Don't count on it.

Schwart2 didnn't sign on to work for Rex and Rex didn't hire Schwart2.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Don't count on it.

Schwart2 didnn't sign on to work for Rex and Rex didn't hire Schwart2.
Just going by what I'm seeing.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 05:47 PM

Schwartz with Greg Roman as OC or Darrell Bevell with Schwartz as DC

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Kubiak is and will always be my number 1, I liked the idea of Schwartz and Kyle Shanny at OC as a number 2, I was okay with Hue Jackson at HC and Swartz as DC as my number 3. Rex and Roman never entered my mind but now that it's here I'd rank it 4th.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Schwartz with Greg Roman as OC or Darrell Bevell with Schwartz as DC
Disagree. And it's far from clearly superior.

CommissarSpartacus
01-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Just going by what I'm seeing.

What you see isn't necessarily what you get.

Schwart2 did a great job this year, Rex, not so good.

Both were interviewed.

Rex got the job over Schwart2.

I can see Schwart2 looking to get out, because he's now in an o win situation.

If he works for Rex and the D shines again, Rexy's rep as a D guru will take a fair share of the credit.

If the D sucks, it will be Schwart2' fault.

I can't see any career benefit for Schwart2 here other than a paycheck...

X-Era
01-11-2015, 05:57 PM
What you see isn't necessarily what you get.

Schwart2 did a great job this year, Rex, not so good.

Both were interviewed.

Rex got the job over Schwart2.

I can see Schwart2 looking to get out, because he's now in an o win situation.

If he works for Rex and the D shines again, Rexy's rep as a D guru will take a fair share of the credit.

If the D sucks, it will be Schwart2' fault.

I can't see any career benefit for Schwart2 here other than a paycheck...How about Schwart3 just likes the D hes got, likes the players, is being paid well, and likes that Rex may bring us more wins.

It really can be that easy. Especially if the rumors are true that Schwart3 doesn't want a HC job

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Disagree. And it's far from clearly superior.

Based on what exactly? Rex's success as a head coach? Surely it's how he's run a tight ship in New York? It must be all those top scoring defenses?

Face it, man. People are excited because he knocked off Brady in Foxboro in 2011. Ryan would have been a great coach if we had a bad defense with a solid offense and needed some swagger like, say, the Atlanta Falcons. Greg Roman (provided we get him) was far and away the better hire.

mysticsoto
01-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Frankly, the only thing I think that will change under Rex is that he won't be as ultra conservative on Offense as Marrone was forcing Hackett to be. Frankly, I think next season's success or failure rely on two things that are only tangentially related to Rex: 1. Better play from the Oline (new Oline coach & scheme? And new interior linemen?) and 2. Better/improved development from EJ.

If we lose Schwartz, that may impact the defense - which I'm hoping doesn't happen. I'd also like to keep Hughes - he deserves to be paid w/a reasonable offer - but that may not be possible. I get the impression that he's favoring huge mega $$$ more than continuing his great play and accumulation of stats playing next to 3 other formidable DLinemen. But Hughes may end up suffering from the Peerless Price syndrome - where he looks alot more average away from others that made him look great.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Based on what exactly? Rex's success as a head coach? Surely it's how he's run a tight ship in New York? It must be all those top scoring defenses?

Face it, man. People are excited because he knocked off Brady in Foxboro in 2011. Ryan would have been a great coach if we had a bad defense with a solid offense and needed some swagger like, say, the Atlanta Falcons. Greg Roman (provided we get him) was far and away the better hire.
Yes. The pedigree matters IMO.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Yes. The pedigree matters IMO.

So what part of his pedigree are you excited about?

X-Era
01-11-2015, 06:31 PM
So what part of his pedigree are you excited about?I think I covered this in my other thread. Lot's of reasons.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
I think I covered this in my other thread. Lot's of reasons.

Yes, and several of those were about free agents he would supposedly attract and several more were about Greg Roman (who could have come with or without him).

Where exactly is his coaching ability on display? Rex' strengths are already strengths of the team and his weaknesses are already our weaknesses. Ryan brings nothing to the table on offense, and I think the defense runs the risk of the "too many chefs" problem with Schwartz - especially given their schematic differences.

The exciting hire is Roman, not Ryan.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Yes, and several of those were about free agents he would supposedly attract and several more were about Greg Roman (who could have come with or without him).

Where exactly is his coaching ability on display? Rex' strengths are already strengths of the team and his weaknesses are already our weaknesses. Ryan brings nothing to the table on offense, and I think the defense runs the risk of the "too many chefs" problem with Schwartz - especially given their schematic differences.

The exciting hire is Roman, not Ryan.No. I provided several reasons why I like the Ryan hire. I believe any other candidate would probably be a rebuild and Ryan can put us in the playoffs next year. I think it's a real possibility.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 06:49 PM

The exciting hire is Roman, not Ryan.

The only thing I view as a positive with Roman is he has an offensive line background so he might help there. Yet to me the mark of good OC is making their QBs better. I can't say he's done that with Kaepernick. As to me he still a QB who runs when plays break down and relies far too much on the big play with his rocket arm. As a result the 49ers rushing stats look great but give Roman an average running QB and imagine the 49ers rank in the middle of the pack when it comes to rushing offense and still toward the bottom when it comes to passing offense. Better than Hackett? Maybe but good enough to put us over the top not likely.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 07:02 PM
No. I provided several reasons why I like the Ryan hire. I believe any other candidate would probably be a rebuild and Ryan can put us in the playoffs next year. I think it's a real possibility.

But why do you believe this? What is Rex Ryan providing that we didn't have last year? His head coaching record is spotty and his teams have been undisciplined on and off the field. You said he is a better matchup against the Pats, but he has only beaten them once in the last three seasons - and it took a rarely-called penalty on a field goal in overtime to do it.

The only thing I view as a positive with Roman is he has an offensive line background so he might help there. Yet to me the mark of good OC is making their QBs better. I can't say he's done that with Kaepernick. As to me he still a QB who runs when plays break down and relies far too much on the big play with his rocket arm. As a result the 49ers rushing stats look great but give Roman an average running QB and imagine the 49ers rank in the middle of the pack when it comes to rushing offense and still toward the bottom when it comes to passing offense. Better than Hackett? Maybe but good enough to put us over the top not likely.

He also had success with Alex Smith, and might have taken him to a Super Bowl if their return man knew how to field kicks. He's not a magic bullet, but I think his philosophy is a good fit for this team, which I can't really say for Ryan.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:05 PM
But why do you believe this? What is Rex Ryan providing that we didn't have last year? His head coaching record is spotty and his teams have been undisciplined on and off the field. You said he is a better matchup against the Pats, but he has only beaten them once in the last three seasons - and it took a rarely-called penalty on a field goal in overtime to do it.

He also had success with Alex Smith, and might have taken him to a Super Bowl if their return man knew how to field kicks. He's not a magic bullet, but I think his philosophy is a good fit for this team, which I can't really say for Ryan.
Pedigree. Players need to believe he knows how to take a team to the playoffs. Can beat the Pats. Pats put up 120 less yards on average each time they face him. Knows the division better than any other candidate by a lot. Players love playing for him.

If everything we hear is true we got Roman, Schwartz back, and Rex to lead with attitude and fire in his giant belly. That's a big win IMO.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 07:05 PM

Was the success with Smith because of Roman or Harbaugh or both? I'm admit I have reservations on Roman and hope he proves me wrong.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Pedigree.

I think you mean "resume" here because pedigree isn't really making sense in context.

Players need to believe he knows how to take a team to the playoffs. Can beat the Pats. Pats put up 120 less yards on average each time they face him.

He took a different team to the playoffs in a completely different situation, and that was 5 seasons ago. Since then his team has been rocked by fiasco after fiasco.

Again, the support for Ryan comes from him knocking the Pats out of the playoffs in 2011.

Knows the division better than any other candidate by a lot.

Is that a positive? They also know him better than any other candidate, and his AFC East record demonstrates it.

Players love playing for him.

That is certainly true in some instances, but not others. He brought many head cases to New York and couldn't keep a lid on all of them.

If everything we hear is true we got Roman, Schwartz back, and Rex to lead with attitude and fire in his giant belly. That's a big win IMO.[/QUOTE]

Was the success with Smith because of Roman or Harbaugh or both? I'm admit I have reservations on Roman and hope he proves me wrong.

That's a real question, but it's going to be the same question you have to ask of any coaching candidate when the HC and Coordinator are from the same side of the ball.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:26 PM
I think you mean "resume" here because pedigree isn't really making sense in context.

He took a different team to the playoffs in a completely different situation, and that was 5 seasons ago. Since then his team has been rocked by fiasco after fiasco.

Again, the support for Ryan comes from him knocking the Pats out of the playoffs in 2011.

Is that a positive? They also know him better than any other candidate, and his AFC East record demonstrates it.

That is certainly true in some instances, but not others. He brought many head cases to New York and couldn't keep a lid on all of them.

If everything we hear is true we got Roman, Schwartz back, and Rex to lead with attitude and fire in his giant belly. That's a big win IMO.

No other interviewee has done more as a HC. That is the point. And that is why he keeps us relevant and potentially pushes us into the playoffs day one.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2015, 07:42 PM
No other interviewee has done more as a HC. That is the point.

Mike Shanahan accomplished far, far more as a HC than Rex Ryan.

jimmifli
01-11-2015, 07:46 PM
My preference is for a coach that manages two coordinators that call the game. If Rex takes on that role I'm happy to have him.

Then Schwartz is still calling the shots. And an OC calls the shots on offense.

Rex manages them. And the team's culture.

If he ****s with the D or causes Gym Shorts to leave, I'm not happy.

X-Era
01-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Mike Shanahan accomplished far, far more as a HC than Rex Ryan.
Would have been good with him too. I just get the feeling he was never really that interested in coaching again. But I'm more than happy to ammend my comment... Outside of Shanny, no other interviewee have done as much as a HC.

CommissarSpartacus
01-12-2015, 07:52 AM
How about Schwart3 just likes the D hes got, likes the players, is being paid well, and likes that Rex may bring us more wins.

It really can be that easy. Especially if the rumors are true that Schwart3 doesn't want a HC job

Sure, it can be that easy. Or it isn't.

And why would Schwart2 interview with the Pegulas if he wasn't interested?

They just now said on the radio that they're "inviting" Schwart2 to stay as DC if he wants to.

After they just decided he wasn't good enough to take over the team.

I just don't see any upside for Schwart2 in staying.

We'll see.

EricStratton
01-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Sure, it can be that easy. Or it isn't.

And why would Schwart2 interview with the Pegulas if he wasn't interested?

They just now said on the radio that they're "inviting" Schwart2 to stay as DC if he wants to.

After they just decided he wasn't good enough to take over the team.

I just don't see any upside for Schwart2 in staying.

We'll see.

The one upside I can see is Schwartz still has the Detroit sink on him and can't get another HC job this soon. If the D for this team can truly be special in 2015 that will be two years in a row for him and should make him a valuable commodity during the next round of coach hiring.

It doesn't look like anyone of pounding down his door now.

ticatfan
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Ryan-trestman, you guys will be winners.

CommissarSpartacus
01-12-2015, 07:17 PM
The one upside I can see is Schwartz still has the Detroit sink on him and can't get another HC job this soon. If the D for this team can truly be special in 2015 that will be two years in a row for him and should make him a valuable commodity during the next round of coach hiring.

It doesn't look like anyone of pounding down his door now.

Imagine their first difference of opinion.

Rex will be able to pull rank on Schwart2 even though Schwart2 kicked his ass twice last year.

It would be nice if they can make it work, but I think we won't get to that point.

And Schwart2 always has the option to sit out for a year.

I doubt he's hurting for money.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Imagine their first difference of opinion.

Rex will be able to pull rank on Schwart2 even though Schwart2 kicked his ass twice last year.

It would be nice if they can make it work, but I think we won't get to that point.

And Schwart2 always has the option to sit out for a year.

I doubt he's hurting for money.

Something wrong with the "z" on your keyboard?