PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan is a loser.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Spin it anyway you want to folks, this hiring was a mistake of epic proportions.

Pegula gave a 5 year deal to a HC with a career losing record, he is a loser, there is no way to spin that FACT.
-He is coming to a team with an offensive line that is worse than what he had in NY.

-He is coming to a team w/o a viable starting QB.

-He was just trounced repeatedly by the mediocre HC that walked away from us.

-He is coming into a situation whereby ownership told him they wanted the current DC to stay on. Yet he states he wants to bring his own DC with him? Three defensive gurus, two known to have massive egos, yeah, that should work out great.

-The current DC runs a wide 9, 4-3 scheme, the new guy runs a 3-4 so Mario will be back to OLB.

There shouldn't be any friction in the building now huh? I think you can bank on a lot of problems until/unless Schwartz is gone. They need to slip him his last years salary and thank him for his services, otherwise the whole thing has the potential to be a disaster.

But, but, but, his players love playing for him. That's great, but he couldn't get them to win for him so what does it matter? No O-line, No QB= No Playoffs, No Super Bowls, even if Lombardi rose from the dead and came to us. It's really very depressing.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
OP hacked your account too, huh?

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 09:25 AM
If you owned a company would you hire a CEO that lost more money than he made at his last company?

imbondz
01-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't Hammer

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
If you owned a company would you hire a CEO that lost more money than he made at his last company?

Why else would the CEO be available?

You either get a head coach who just failed at his previous team, or you get a coordinator with no head coach experience that has had success with his current team. I guess the coordinator could have head coach experience, but obviously it would be without success as he's not employed as a head coach anymore.

Is there an available person that doesn't meet this criteria this year? Maybe Belichick will be available after he wins the Superbowl.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 09:30 AM

What were the circumstances ?

I disliked Rexy with the jets. He was an arrogant dork who couldn't back his loudmouth up on gameday.
Whether he's learned from his mistakes remains to be seen.

He definitely needs a GM who knows what he's doing or we're screwed.

mightysimi
01-12-2015, 09:32 AM
There sure were a lot of teams lined up to make the same collosal mistake we did. Everything I read reported Rex Ryan as the best coach available. We pay top dollar to the best available and here we are again.

trapezeus
01-12-2015, 09:42 AM
the more football i watch, the more i realize that the old adage is true. One player, one coach doesn't win you games. so i am trying to be less "oh my god" about everything.

They are supposedly bringing in a very capable OC who has had success with kaepernick (probably where EJ's skill ceiling is, both have accuracy problems). Roman has a history of changing his philosphy to the personel he has. That's a good thing.

The Bills d is across the board pretty talented. I see them as a group who are what they are. they aren't going to underperform to a bottom third defense by switching up the philosphy.

Also, the bills last year, across the board offensively, just looked awful. talented players being unused. the line in disarray. they have stuff to work with.

Rex has been part of a team that had the same issues buffalo has. and he got them turned around in a hurry and did it with a rookie qb who was in over his head.

Rex's latest disarray was part of a few eyars of tearing down and not replacing. Geno smith wasn't his decision.

Of the options we have, the bills have selected to try and turn last year into a positive and get into the playoffs. selecting anyone else other than schwartz would have committed us to essentially a rebuild and that in turn would have lost us the defense as we tried to find a qb and develop him properly.

There is risk that the bills did it wrong. but they did look at a lot of coaches unlike in years past. The chances they got it all right in one try, is unlikely, but they did things differently and it does make sense for where they are at this moment.

Additionally, rex has a lot of fire. he gets to face belichick still and take on the team that essentially kicked him out over 3 years. and better yet, they stuck it to him so bad, that his first and second choices were not available to him. I think you poke a bear like a rex ryan, he isn't in it to just collect a check. he is in it to prove people wrong.

I really hope it works.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I hope it works too Trap but you know what they say...wish in one hand and schnit in the other, see which one fills up first.

ticatfan
01-12-2015, 10:03 AM
The bills are also losers ,so this made be a match made in heaven and when he brings in trestman.............

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 10:15 AM
More of the same mediocrity...or worse.

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2015, 10:17 AM

Who did you want to hire?

Historian
01-12-2015, 10:25 AM
"It'll be great working with you...sure had enough of working against you!" -Duke, Rocky III

I think a little swagger is what this team has needed since Mularkey.

better days
01-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Rex had a 50-52 record with the Jets.

Only an IDIOT would think the GM did not play a huge role in that record.

A GOOD HC gets the best out of his players. But the Jets players did not have a whole lot to give.

MEDIOCRE players equals a losing record.

And the VAST majority of the board did not want to see Pettine leave for the Browns HC job.

Here is a clue people, Pettine ran Rex's defense.

I hope Schwartz stays, I think Schwartz & Ryan could do GOOD things together, but if he goes, I will still be happy with Rex.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 10:35 AM
I would have greatly preferred an up and comer vs a proven loser. My preference would have been Reich, and it has nothing to do with him being a former Bill. I have a friend that works with the Chargers on a daily basis and he confirms everything else I have read about the guy. Great communicator, excellent leadership skills, impeccable morals and character, extremely respected. He flat out confirmed what other league sources have said in the media, it won't be long before he becomes a HC.

One guy has proven he is a losing HC, the other shows great potential and will get his shot, but not with Buffalo. If someone can make me understand how a losing record makes this guy a good hire then by all means please do. He is coming to the exact situation he just left, no QB, and no 1st round draft choice, can't you see that? We were his 3rd choice! I guess I should feel good about being his 3rd choice? The fat girl said yes to our request to go to the prom and we had to pay her out the nose to do it. YAY.

9.9 out of 10 people on this board hated Rex Ryan before this was announced, now he is the savior?

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Rex had a 50-52 record with the Jets.

Only an IDIOT would think the GM did not play a huge role in that record.

A GOOD HC gets the best out of his players. But the Jets players did not have a whole lot to give.

MEDIOCRE players equals a losing record.

And the VAST majority of the board did not want to see Pettine leave for the Browns HC job.

Here is a clue people, Pettine ran Rex's defense.

I hope Schwartz stays, I think Schwartz & Ryan could do GOOD things together, but if he goes, I will still be happy with Rex.

My fellow Homer poster. They could have promoted HAckett to HC and you'd find a way to like it. ;)

Historian
01-12-2015, 10:37 AM
There's no doubt that Reich is going to get his shot in the future.

Most feel he just needs a little more coaching experience under his belt.

GingerP
01-12-2015, 10:44 AM
It is kind of funny that everyone here hates Marrone and things he is a baffoon, but yet he beat Ryan 3-of-4 times and those 3 losses weren't close.

better days
01-12-2015, 10:49 AM
It is kind of funny that everyone here hates Marrone and things he is a baffoon, but yet he beat Ryan 3-of-4 times and those 3 losses weren't close.

It was NOT Marrone that beat Rex & the Jets, it was Schwartz & his defense.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 10:59 AM
It was NOT Marrone that beat Rex & the Jets, it was Schwartz & his defense.

Ummmm.....OK, I guess the 43 and 38 points we scored on Rex's vaunted defense where all Schwartz too? Nice try....next attempt?

better days
01-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Ummmm.....OK, I guess the 43 and 38 points we scored on Rex's vaunted defense where all Schwartz too? Nice try....next attempt?

Do you think the Offense was responsible for all those points?

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 11:01 AM

You can't have it both ways man.

better days
01-12-2015, 11:10 AM
You can't have it both ways man.

How am I trying to have it both ways?

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2015, 11:12 AM
HAMMER, who were you hoping for instead of Rex?

Personally I was hoping for Schwartz to be promoted or bringing in Adam Gase. But after Denver's performance yesterday I must say I would've changed my mind.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Rex Ryan is a loser.

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2015, 11:32 AM
I would have greatly preferred an up and comer vs a proven loser. My preference would have been Reich, and it has nothing to do with him being a former Bill. I have a friend that works with the Chargers on a daily basis and he confirms everything else I have read about the guy. Great communicator, excellent leadership skills, impeccable morals and character, extremely respected. He flat out confirmed what other league sources have said in the media, it won't be long before he becomes a HC.

One guy has proven he is a losing HC, the other shows great potential and will get his shot, but not with Buffalo. If someone can make me understand how a losing record makes this guy a good hire then by all means please do. He is coming to the exact situation he just left, no QB, and no 1st round draft choice, can't you see that? We were his 3rd choice! I guess I should feel good about being his 3rd choice? The fat girl said yes to our request to go to the prom and we had to pay her out the nose to do it. YAY.

My problem with this logic is that you're basically saying that no head coach deserves a second chance. With the exception of Jim Harbaugh, every coach that's ever been fired has been because his team underperformed. There have been plenty of successful coaches on their 2nd go round after being considered 'a loser' by some. I'm sure I don't have to go into the examples of these guys as I think you know them.

Rex Ryan has also proved that he can be a winner. He took a Mark Sanchez led team to the AFC conference championship game twice, it wasn't because of luck. The guy knows how to motivate. Wasn't motivation the greatest attribute of Marv Levy? Obviously I'm not comparing the two as Levy is a legend around here, but motivation can be the determining factor if you have the talent.

9.9 out of 10 people on this board hated Rex Ryan before this was announced, now he is the savior?

I think you're over exaggerating when you say that people are calling him a savior. Who has said that? There's a difference between agreeing with the hire of our next head coach and saying that we're going to win a championship because of it.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2015, 11:37 AM
LOL Mike Mularkey and Gregg Williams were that "up and coming" coordinator. That worked out well.

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2015, 11:37 AM

To be fair, a competent offense would've put up 65 points in that first game. We had 6 turnovers, I think our average starting field position was on the Jets side of the field. That speaks to how our defense and special teams played that day.

coastal
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
wtf

nohing good happens.

ever.

BuffaloRedleg
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
I know it's a great hiring because all the regulars who tend to be wrong about everything pertaining to the Bills have been blowing up my Facebook feed and this website in opposition to the move.

notacon
01-12-2015, 12:15 PM
The only "losers" are the supposed Bills fans who do not greet this hire with great relief and anticipation.

This is a monumentally important hire that is starting to change my impression as the Pegula's being in way over their head, and screwing up their opportunity to make BIG changes to this perennially defective organization.

This is the only the second time, in 55 years, the Bills have reached out and hired a big name coach, at the top of his influence. Chuck Knox was the first, and the cheapness of Wilson to do the other things required for success doomed that hire.

This gives me hope that the Bills will now enter the 21st century of NFL franchises where they will aggressively DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE to produce a perennial WINNER!

Pegula has passed this test. Rex Ryan is, by far, the most qualified and desirable coach available. He is very well recognized as one of the top coaches in the NFL. To have the Bills hire him is nothing short of earth shattering.

Next test is how long it takes to get rid of Whaley. Concurrent test is what the Bills do in the off season, and next year, to obtain a QB.

Right now, I am encouraged, although not totally convinced that Pegula is going to insist on doing what needs to be done.

Time will tell.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 12:41 PM
The only "losers" are the supposed Bills fans who do not greet this hire with great relief and anticipation.

This is a monumentally important hire that is starting to change my impression as the Pegula's being in way over their head, and screwing up their opportunity to make BIG changes to this perennially defective organization.

This is the only the second time, in 55 years, the Bills have reached out and hired a big name coach, at the top of his influence. Chuck Knox was the first, and the cheapness of Wilson to do the other things required for success doomed that hire.

This gives me hope that the Bills will now enter the 21st century of NFL franchises where they will aggressively DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE to produce a perennial WINNER!

Pegula has passed this test. Rex Ryan is, by far, the most qualified and desirable coach available. He is very well recognized as one of the top coaches in the NFL. To have the Bills hire him is nothing short of earth shattering.

Next test is how long it takes to get rid of Whaley. Concurrent test is what the Bills do in the off season, and next year, to obtain a QB.

Right now, I am encouraged, although not totally convinced that Pegula is going to insist on doing what needs to be done.

Time will tell.

One of the top coaches in the NFL? That's flippin hilarious.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Is there an available person that doesn't meet this criteria this year? Maybe Belichick will be available after he wins the Superbowl.

Funny you should mention Belichick, because THAT loser was available after the Browns fired him after going 36-44 in his 5 seasons as Head Coach in Cleveland.

That loser Belichick completely lucked into Tom Brady too. The Patriots had just given Drew Bledsoe the largest contract in the history of the NFL in 2001...a ten-year deal to boot. Even will all that superior talent evaluation, they never even had the intention of starting Brady, who only started due to Mo Lewis injuring Bledsoe in the second game that year. The rest is history.

Including the playoffs, Belichick went 42-56 in his first six seasons as Head Coach in the NFL. Made the playoffs once, and was 1-1 there.

Meanwhile, including the playoffs, Rex Ryan went 50-52 in his first six seasons as Head Coach in the NFL. Made the playoffs twice and was 4-2 there.

Speaking of losers, that loser Marv Levy went 31-42 in his five seasons as Head Coach of the Chiefs. Never made the playoffs. Not like the Bills were immediately in contention as soon as he got here, either.

Talk about records...

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Spin it anyway you want to folks, this hiring was a mistake of epic proportions.

Pegula gave a 5 year deal to a HC with a career losing record, he is a loser, there is no way to spin that FACT.
-He is coming to a team with an offensive line that is worse than what he had in NY.

-He is coming to a team w/o a viable starting QB.

-He was just trounced repeatedly by the mediocre HC that walked away from us.

-He is coming into a situation whereby ownership told him they wanted the current DC to stay on. Yet he states he wants to bring his own DC with him? Three defensive gurus, two known to have massive egos, yeah, that should work out great.

-The current DC runs a wide 9, 4-3 scheme, the new guy runs a 3-4 so Mario will be back to OLB.

There shouldn't be any friction in the building now huh? I think you can bank on a lot of problems until/unless Schwartz is gone. They need to slip him his last years salary and thank him for his services, otherwise the whole thing has the potential to be a disaster.

But, but, but, his players love playing for him. That's great, but he couldn't get them to win for him so what does it matter? No O-line, No QB= No Playoffs, No Super Bowls, even if Lombardi rose from the dead and came to us. It's really very depressing.

How many boxes of tissue did you need me to send you?

TheBrownBear
01-12-2015, 12:48 PM
First, let's fix the title: "Rex Ryan is a playoff winner<strike>loser</strike>"

Second, any coach that can take a Geno Smith led team to 8-8 is one hell of a coach.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 12:51 PM
How many boxes of tissue did you need me to send you?

Three for his nose, five for his propensity to crap his pants, and seven for...you know, the other thing.

don137
01-12-2015, 12:52 PM
The fact that Rex has almost a .500 career record and never having a good QB is a testament to Ryan as a coach especially considering how their former GM messed up the last few picks and gave him some really bad players.

I am not saying Ryan is the best thing since sliced bread however, if he had a good QB his record would be much better. Amazing how a good QB can make a coach look good or a bad QB make a coach look bad. How many coaches have good records with crappy QBs? Now it's up to Roman to make the offense where EJ can be good or Whaley's job to get a good QB.

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Funny you should mention Belichick, because THAT loser was available after the Browns fired him after going 36-44 in his 5 seasons as Head Coach in Cleveland.

That loser Belichick completely lucked into Tom Brady too. The Patriots had just given Drew Bledsoe the largest contract in the history of the NFL in 2001...a ten-year deal to boot. Even will all that superior talent evaluation, they never even had the intention of starting Brady, who only started due to Mo Lewis injuring Bledsoe in the second game that year. The rest is history.

Including the playoffs, Belichick went 42-56 in his first six seasons as Head Coach in the NFL. Made the playoffs once, and was 1-1 there.

Meanwhile, including the playoffs, Rex Ryan went 50-52 in his first six seasons as Head Coach in the NFL. Made the playoffs twice and was 4-2 there.

Speaking of losers, that loser Marv Levy went 31-42 in his five seasons as Head Coach of the Chiefs. Never made the playoffs. Not like the Bills were immediately in contention as soon as he got here, either.

Talk about records...

The idiot who gave those losers a second chance should have been fired.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Look, I will get on board with the guy once my initial shock and dismay wears off. I bleed red, white, and blue for America and the Bills. But don't say I didn't tell you so when you all run for the exits when we are .500 or worse.

Everyone was pretty enamored with Marrone when we were 2-0 to start the year, again when we were 5-3, look how that turned out.

GingerP
01-12-2015, 01:32 PM

For the record, I like the Ryan hire because he has had some past success and knows the division.

That said, it is funny Marrone did so well against him and people trash him.

EJ Manuel in 2 games vs. the Jets: 39-for-70 (55.7%), 488 yards (6.97 YPA), 3 TD, 0 Int, 91.8 QB Rating.

Kyle Orton in 2 games vs. the Jets: 34-for-49 (69.4%), 468 yards (9.55 YPA), 6 TD, 0 Int, 139.3 QB Rating.

In those 4 games the Bills scored 43, 38, 37 & 20 points, an average of 34.5 PPG.

Night Train
01-12-2015, 01:41 PM
It's so cool to be factually right about the future without anyone questioning your stance on the internet.

:rolleyes:

Rex = To be determined

djjimkelly
01-12-2015, 01:56 PM

rewatch those games actually the D or special teams scored or gave the O a layup in id say about 60 of those points. u forgetting geno smiths 4 picks in what 10 throws to start the game

Bill Cody
01-12-2015, 02:16 PM
I know this is really hard to get but try. No QB = losing coach. Right now we have no QB. Fact is we wouldn't have one if we hired someone other than Rex. WE HAVE NO ****ING QB!

I'm not a big Rex fan but it's not his fault he had a clown car under center with the Jets. It's actually funny he would sign up for a 2nd helping. Until we fix the Grand Canyon sized hole under center the HC won't matter. Will. Not. Matter. Is EJ the answer? Possible I suppose but not likely. Look at the teams in the playoffs this year. Last year. Every year. It's a QB league not a HC league. The HC matters but only if you have a QB. If you don't you're dead. Get your head around this simple concept. It won't make you feel any better but it beats getting worked up about Rex. I really don't know how good a coach Rex is. Just close your eyes and think about this for a minute: who wins more games in the past 5 years the Jets or NE if the Jets had Brady and NE had Sanchez/Gino? Try real hard to be honest. That's all I got.

HAMMER
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Thank you for stating the obvious Bill.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 02:39 PM
I am more intrigued with the OC hire than I am with Rexy as the HC. I will feel a lot better once the news breaks out that Schwartz is staying.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm a little hesitant about proclaiming how great this hire is.

Yes, Ryan is an outstanding defensive minded guy, yes he took the Jets to an AFC Title game, yes he will provide some much needed personality, identity and fire to this team.

BUT

That team he took over was basically Mangini and Tannenbaum's team when he first went to the AFC Title game and they progressively got worse over his tenure. The team never was able to get a QB or an OC. We seemed to be set on the defensive side of the ball with needing some offense ability to go with it and we didn't go that route.

It's a big splashy hire with some pluses but there are some things to worry about.

Bill Cody
01-12-2015, 02:40 PM

I gave you the benefit of the doubt for starting a douche thread but I can see I shouldn't have. If you get what I said then you also get that this thread is stupid/irrelevant/waste of time.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 02:48 PM

Yes, Ryan is an outstanding defensive minded guy, yes he took the Jets to an AFC Title game, yes he will provide some much needed personality, identity and fire to this team.

BUT

That team he took over was basically Mangini and Tannenbaum's team when he first went to the AFC Title game and they progressively got worse over his tenure. The team never was able to get a QB or an OC. We seemed to be set on the defensive side of the ball with needing some offense ability to go with it and we didn't go that route.

It's a big splashy hire with some pluses but there are some things to worry about.

I hated Jauron because the longer he stayed as HC, the worse the team got. Thats how I kinda feel about Rexy. Not saying he can't get better as HC the 2nd time around, but beating him twice is still fresh in my mind especially when his D got owned by EJ not so long ago.

Kenny
01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
I know this is really hard to get but try. No QB = losing coach. Right now we have no QB. Fact is we wouldn't have one if we hired someone other than Rex. WE HAVE NO ****ING QB!

I'm not a big Rex fan but it's not his fault he had a clown car under center with the Jets. It's actually funny he would sign up for a 2nd helping. Until we fix the Grand Canyon sized hole under center the HC won't matter. Will. Not. Matter. Is EJ the answer? Possible I suppose but not likely. Look at the teams in the playoffs this year. Last year. Every year. It's a QB league not a HC league. The HC matters but only if you have a QB. If you don't you're dead. Get your head around this simple concept. It won't make you feel any better but it beats getting worked up about Rex. I really don't know how good a coach Rex is. Just close your eyes and think about this for a minute: who wins more games in the past 5 years the Jets or NE if the Jets had Brady and NE had Sanchez/Gino? Try real hard to be honest. That's all I got.

Generally I'd agree, but sometimes... just sometimes... a great defense can carry a team.

The Jet's did pretty good in '09 and '10 with Sanchez at the helm. Yes the Jets sucked the past few years, but their defense was only a shell of what it once was.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
I will feel a lot better once the news breaks out that Schwartz is staying.

To me, that's the biggest thing at this point.

Don't want a puppet at DC, I want Shwartz. Why even have a DC in there at all if Rex is really the guy running it? And if he runs it, wouldn't that take away from his other responsibilities as the Head Coach?

Rex may be having some sort of sit-down with Schwartz regarding these issues as we speak.

Wikipedia already has Dennis Thurman penciled in as the Bills Defensive Coordinator, but we've seen people jump the gun on these things before. I just don't like it. Who is better, Jim Schwartz or this Dennis Thurman character in your eyes? If you were a team in need of a DC, who would you go after?

Rex can't give up some measure of control on that side of the ball? Don't bring in "your guy" if there is an big upgrade already sitting in place that is under contract. Don't do it.

Bill Cody
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Generally I'd agree, but sometimes... just sometimes... a great defense can carry a team.

The Jet's did pretty good in '09 and '10 with Sanchez at the helm. Yes the Jets sucked the past few years, but their defense was only a shell of what it once was.

Yeah ok, it can work but as you say not generally. I happen to think those Jets teams really weren't that good, IMHO they overachieved. That's a credit to Rex. This D in Seattle is the best I've seen in a long time but they have a QB too. Picture them playing GB if they had Sanchez under center. Even with a hobbled Rodgers are you saying you wouldn't take the Pack in that matchup? Cuz I would. As they say **** happens but don't bet on it.

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2015, 03:00 PM

Grow up

Bill Cody
01-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Grow up

BertSquirtgum wants me to grow up. :laughing:

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2015, 03:04 PM
BertSquirtgum wants me to grow up. :laughing:

I was and still am quoting the wrong post.

Zero
01-12-2015, 03:07 PM
LOL Mike Mularkey and Gregg Williams were that "up and coming" coordinator. That worked out well.

I just don't understand the hate at all. I mean if you're gonna hate on Rex Ryan, a guy who took his team to the AFC championchip game two years consecutively immediately after taking over as the Jets HC, then who the hell will you not hate? I hope you hated the idea of bringing Jauron, Mularkey or freakin Chan Gailey by an order of magnitude greater than your dislike of the Rex hiring.

Comparing this to past hirings is like comparing dog excrement to edible food (with Rex being the food in this example) which is to say there is no comparison. Rex beat the Pats in his first year , a feat that had not been accomplished by that franchise since 2000- 9 years prior and oh yeah, he beat the Patriots again in the playoffs where it mattered most. What other coaching candidate that we hired or had a reasonably realistic expectation to hire could we say has the coaching pedigree that Rex has?

Look I get it, Rex isn't perfect, but he's pretty well regarded throughout the NFL by coaches and players alike and he accomplished more in 2 years with the Jets than all Bills coaches have in the last 15 years combined- so at the very least he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And if he crashes and burns so be it, I'm sure we can live with that- we lived through the hiring of Marv Levy as our GM after all; it can't possibly be worse than that.

justasportsfan
01-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Don't want a puppet at DC, I want Shwartz. Why even have a DC in there at all if Rex is really the guy running it? And if he runs it, wouldn't that take away from his other responsibilities as the Head Coach?

Rex may be having some sort of sit-down with Schwartz regarding these issues as we speak.

Wikipedia already has Dennis Thurman penciled in as the Bills Defensive Coordinator, but we've seen people jump the gun on these things before. I just don't like it. Who is better, Jim Schwartz or this Dennis Thurman character in your eyes? If you were a team in need of a DC, who would you go after?

Rex can't give up some measure of control on that side of the ball? Don't bring in "your guy" if there is an big upgrade already sitting in place that is under contract. Don't do it.

Schwartz will leave in a couple of years. The D will still be in safe hands when he does because Rex is still here. BUt for now, Rex shouldn't try and fix what isn't broken. Concentrate on fixing the O.

better days
01-12-2015, 03:12 PM

BUT

The Tampa team Gruden won the Super Bowl with was basically Dungy's team.

Gruden added some KEY offensive players to that team & won the Super Bowl which Dungy would not have done.

Rex added a NUMBER of defensive players & took the Jets to the AFC Championship twice in two years.

YardRat
01-12-2015, 03:12 PM

Rumor is Ryan is sitting down with Schwartz tomorrow.

This situation is starting to get an eerily familiar vibe on these boards, kinda like when almost everybody was slobbering on Wannstadt's knob when he was elevated to DC.

jamze132
01-12-2015, 03:21 PM

We hated Rex because he was on the Jets. We hate Belichick and Brady because they're on the Patriots.

9.9/10 posters here wish you would go be a Chargers fan so Reich can put his nuts on your chin.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 03:28 PM
The Tampa team Gruden won the Super Bowl with was basically Dungy's team.

Gruden added some KEY offensive players to that team & won the Super Bowl which Dungy would not have done.

Rex added a NUMBER of defensive players & took the Jets to the AFC Championship twice in two years.

Here is the main change from the 2008 Jets to the 2009 Jets on defense...

Eric Barton to Bart Scott. The defense also did go from Abram Elam to Jim Leonhard.

That was still basically Mangini's defense with minimal changing of personnel, by Ryan. I dunno if I'd say either of those moves were upgrades either. Barton was better in 08 than Scott in 09 and Elam to Leonhard is pretty lateral.

As the old adage goes if it ain't broke don't fix it, problem is through time you need to change things around and that's where Ryan failed in NY. The team got worse on his watch, unfortunately. So there's some reason for pause and not thinking he's the best thing ever and it's a great hire.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Rumor is Ryan is sitting down with Schwartz tomorrow.

This situation is starting to get an eerily familiar vibe on these boards, kinda like when almost everybody was slobbering on Wannstadt's knob when he was elevated to DC.

Probably have to get this resolved before the press conference on Wednesday, so tomorrow makes sense for a Ryan/Schwartz sit-down. Hopefully, Brandon has a 100-yard restraining order from that meeting.

Can't see how you can liken any of this to Wanny, though.

I don't think there is any question that Schwartz is the better man for the job than Dennis Thurman...in my opinion, anyway. I mean, I hope Rex Ryan enters into this with an open mind, without his mind already made up to bring with him a familiar face. Shouldn't be perfunctory, at the very least. Don't want to change up the defensive scheme with these players in place, either. Continuity is HUGE right there. Don't try to fix what ain't broken.

Again, is Ryan going to be the Head Coach, or the Defensive Coordinator AND the Head Coach? What's the need for that? Give the better, more qualified man the job, who is Schwartz...and he's ALREADY in place for the job. How many times have we switched DCs over the recent years? This time, there would be absolutely no need to do it; in fact, I'd consider it an unnecessary step in the wrong direction.

Rex being a qualified defensive guy is no reason to replace Shwartz. And that's no reason to think that we won't feel it if that happens.

Night Train
01-12-2015, 03:52 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2074237.1421035118%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/article-bills-0111.jpg

notacon
01-12-2015, 03:58 PM
One of the top coaches in the NFL? That's flippin hilarious.

I may have exaggerated a little bit.

He is considered one of the better coaches in the league.

You are exaggerating much more with your mind numbing negativity.

Rex Ryan is certainly the best coach the Bills have hired since Chuck Knox. Remember, levy was not that great of a coach when we hired him, and I think his lack of being an elite coach is why the Bills never won a Super Bowl. He was badly out-coached in every one we lost.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 04:00 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2074237.1421035118%21/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/article-bills-0111.jpg

Ha, ha.

People better get used to it. It's a fact of life for however may years now.

Either give the man a chance, or go watch Lacrosse or whatever. That's the way I see it.

Fixxxer
01-12-2015, 04:33 PM
I know Rex has his flaws as a HC but I think he was a lame duck coach this year, he's not blameless for the atrocity that the Jets were on the field but he and the GM were put in a no win scenario.
That is the work of a clueless owner like Woody Johnson. He should have cleaned house last year and do what he's doing this year, start over and re-build with new people.

djjimkelly
01-12-2015, 05:25 PM
We hated Rex because he was on the Jets. We hate Belichick and Brady because they're on the Patriots.

9.9/10 posters here wish you would go be a Chargers fan so Reich can put his nuts on your chin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Jyw1BGvDc

lol a classic!!!!!

notacon
01-12-2015, 06:01 PM
What is so lame is that saying that Rex Ryan is a "loser" when he brought the NY Jets, QB's by Mark Sanchez, to the AFC Championship game, not one, but TWICE in a row.

That means his team went 4-2 in the playoffs. In 2010, they beat the Pats to advance.

If that is one's definition of a "loser" than I'll TAKE that kind of "losing".

The truth is that the Jets over performed because of Rex Ryan.

When, in the history of the Bills, have we EVER said that?

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 06:34 PM
What is so lame is that saying that Rex Ryan is a "loser" when he brought the NY Jets, QB's by Mark Sanchez, to the AFC Championship game, not one, but TWICE in a row.

That means his team went 4-2 in the playoffs. In 2010, they beat the Pats to advance.

If that is one's definition of a "loser" than I'll TAKE that kind of "losing".

The truth is that the Jets over performed because of Rex Ryan.

When, in the history of the Bills, have we EVER said that?

The Bills overachieved under Jauron.

That was expansion team level of talent on his teams here with an atrocious QB.

jamze132
01-13-2015, 09:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Jyw1BGvDc

lol a classic!!!!!

Yeah, I was going to put it in quotations and give Easy the credit...

better days
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
I know Rex has his flaws as a HC but I think he was a lame duck coach this year, he's not blameless for the atrocity that the Jets were on the field but he and the GM were put in a no win scenario.
That is the work of a clueless owner like Woody Johnson. He should have cleaned house last year and do what he's doing this year, start over and re-build with new people.

The GM was 99% responsible for the terrible year the Jets had last year.

The Jets had a lot of cap room & Idzik refused to bring in any players.

I think he was trying to sabotage Rex, but it bit him in the ass because the fans with their hatred of Idzik made it impossible for Woody to keep him.