• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Spiller likes Rex

“That’s what I love to do is run the football and coach Rex that’s what he’s known for, running the football and being physical,” Spiller said. “I’m excited about it. It’s a great opportunity to get this thing turned around. We finished with a 9-7 record and now it’s time to build on that and get into the playoffs.”

He has a player option. Doesn't sound like he's leaving.

In Romans spread Spiller could be very good.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Spiller likes Rex

Running, yes.

Being physical ? He's fairly brittle at 5-11 195.

RB's are a dime a dozen. I have zero worry we can add there.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

How much is Spiller's player option for? As a 27 year old running back, I would think he is highly incentivized to sign a long term contract as soon as possible given the pennies offered to older free agent running backs.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Whether he's leaving or not remains to be seen. But I think it's pretty clear that the Bills are going to have to lean on a successful running game next year. Would anybody really rather rely on Dixon and Brown?

Dunno about the Spiller hatred. People want to suck Freddie off all the time, but effort aside, he didn't REALLY do all that great this year either in terms of running the ball, and he's still the oldest running back in the league. I love the guy too, but people want to put him on a pedestal too much.

I've always maintained that I want Spiller to be back. Bringing him back while utilizing him properly would be huge for this team IMO. Instead of running him up the gut where there is no hole, how about pulling a Guard or something...no wait.

The failure of the running game this year is more of an indictment on the offensive line, scheme, play-calling, coaching, and stuff like that. I see Spiller rebounding in a huge way if he returns under more favorable conditions.

Hell, I remember lots of idiotic Bills fans wanting Dareus gone not too long ago, and for a while. Adamant about it too.
        Last edited by feldspar; 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Spiller? Being physical?

He's a dancing machine!

Comment

• Strongman
            • Apr 2006

I always thought Spiller was better suited for a zone run scheme and not ground and pound.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Spiller can't block.

Buh bye.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                How much is Spiller's player option for? As a 27 year old running back, I would think he is highly incentivized to sign a long term contract as soon as possible given the pennies offered to older free agent running backs.
                Spiller did not wow last year to warrant a huge contract from any team.

He can sign an extension with the Bills or play on the last year of his current deal in hopes of wowing next year.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

When is the date that players have chose whether to exercise their options?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Spiller likes employment.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ed
                      Dude
                      • Sep 2002

I just found this article that seems to claim that the player option for Spiller doesn't actually exist. It sounds like he'll just become a UFA if the Bills don't re-sign him.

Comment

• bdutton
                        • Jul 2013

Spiller had an average of only 3.8 yards per carry last year. But then again... Fred Jackson had only 3.7 yards per carry.

What a horrible offense the Bills have/had.

Comment

• Spartacus
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                          http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/0...stry-with-rex/

“That’s what I love to do is run the football and coach Rex that’s what he’s known for, running the football and being physical,” Spiller said. “I’m excited about it. It’s a great opportunity to get this thing turned around. We finished with a 9-7 record and now it’s time to build on that and get into the playoffs.”

He has a player option. Doesn't sound like he's leaving.

In Romans spread Spiller could be very good.
                          The thread title is misleading - he doesn't like Rex, he likes what he thinks Rex means for him and his career...
                          My tebya razdavim

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                            Whether he's leaving or not remains to be seen. But I think it's pretty clear that the Bills are going to have to lean on a successful running game next year. Would anybody really rather rely on Dixon and Brown?

Dunno about the Spiller hatred. People want to suck Freddie off all the time, but effort aside, he didn't REALLY do all that great this year either in terms of running the ball, and he's still the oldest running back in the league. I love the guy too, but people want to put him on a pedestal too much.

I've always maintained that I want Spiller to be back. Bringing him back while utilizing him properly would be huge for this team IMO. Instead of running him up the gut where there is no hole, how about pulling a Guard or something...no wait.

The failure of the running game this year is more of an indictment on the offensive line, scheme, play-calling, coaching, and stuff like that. I see Spiller rebounding in a huge way if he returns under more favorable conditions.

Hell, I remember lots of idiotic Bills fans wanting Dareus gone not too long ago, and for a while. Adamant about it too.
                            It seems clear to me that Spiller doesn't like contact, nor does he read blocks very well. The number of times he bounces a run and loses yardage when it calls for him to stick his nose in and take 3 yards is maddening. As Pink said he is a dancing machine, I personally think he is a wuss. Gimme Boobie and Bryce Brown all day/every day, they want to bang.

Comment

• Ed
                              Dude
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              The thread title is misleading - he doesn't like Rex, he likes what he thinks Rex means for him and his career...
                              No, he does like Rex.

Spiller:
                              “I’ve gotten to know Rex the last two years. His son attends Clemson and he comes down to games and we’ve both been at events they have every year at Clemson,” said Spiller. “He’s a wonderful guy and a great person to get to know, funny, so we’ve had a great chemistry these last couple of years and obviously playing against him the previous five years has also helped.”

Comment

Working...
                              X