PDA

View Full Version : Spiller likes Rex

X-Era
01-12-2015, 04:48 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/12/spiller-ive-got-chemistry-with-rex/

“That’s what I love to do is run the football and coach Rex that’s what he’s known for, running the football and being physical,” Spiller said. “I’m excited about it. It’s a great opportunity to get this thing turned around. We finished with a 9-7 record and now it’s time to build on that and get into the playoffs.”

He has a player option. Doesn't sound like he's leaving.

In Romans spread Spiller could be very good.

Night Train
01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Running, yes.

Being physical ? He's fairly brittle at 5-11 195.

RB's are a dime a dozen. I have zero worry we can add there.

EDS
01-12-2015, 04:57 PM
How much is Spiller's player option for? As a 27 year old running back, I would think he is highly incentivized to sign a long term contract as soon as possible given the pennies offered to older free agent running backs.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Whether he's leaving or not remains to be seen. But I think it's pretty clear that the Bills are going to have to lean on a successful running game next year. Would anybody really rather rely on Dixon and Brown?

Dunno about the Spiller hatred. People want to suck Freddie off all the time, but effort aside, he didn't REALLY do all that great this year either in terms of running the ball, and he's still the oldest running back in the league. I love the guy too, but people want to put him on a pedestal too much.

I've always maintained that I want Spiller to be back. Bringing him back while utilizing him properly would be huge for this team IMO. Instead of running him up the gut where there is no hole, how about pulling a Guard or something...no wait.

The failure of the running game this year is more of an indictment on the offensive line, scheme, play-calling, coaching, and stuff like that. I see Spiller rebounding in a huge way if he returns under more favorable conditions.

Hell, I remember lots of idiotic Bills fans wanting Dareus gone not too long ago, and for a while. Adamant about it too.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Spiller? Being physical?

:rofl:

He's a dancing machine!

Strongman
01-12-2015, 06:45 PM
I always thought Spiller was better suited for a zone run scheme and not ground and pound.

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Spiller can't block.

Buh bye.

better days
01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
How much is Spiller's player option for? As a 27 year old running back, I would think he is highly incentivized to sign a long term contract as soon as possible given the pennies offered to older free agent running backs.

Spiller did not wow last year to warrant a huge contract from any team.

He can sign an extension with the Bills or play on the last year of his current deal in hopes of wowing next year.

jamze132
01-13-2015, 11:09 AM
When is the date that players have chose whether to exercise their options?

stuckincincy
01-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Spiller likes employment.

Ed
01-13-2015, 11:17 AM
I just found this article that seems to claim that the player option for Spiller doesn't actually exist. It sounds like he'll just become a UFA if the Bills don't re-sign him.

http://overthecap.com/cj-spiller-mysterious-player-option/

bdutton
01-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Spiller had an average of only 3.8 yards per carry last year. But then again... Fred Jackson had only 3.7 yards per carry.

What a horrible offense the Bills have/had.

CommissarSpartacus
01-13-2015, 11:47 AM

“That’s what I love to do is run the football and coach Rex that’s what he’s known for, running the football and being physical,” Spiller said. “I’m excited about it. It’s a great opportunity to get this thing turned around. We finished with a 9-7 record and now it’s time to build on that and get into the playoffs.”

The thread title is misleading - he doesn't like Rex, he likes what he thinks Rex means for him and his career...

HAMMER
01-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Whether he's leaving or not remains to be seen. But I think it's pretty clear that the Bills are going to have to lean on a successful running game next year. Would anybody really rather rely on Dixon and Brown?

Dunno about the Spiller hatred. People want to suck Freddie off all the time, but effort aside, he didn't REALLY do all that great this year either in terms of running the ball, and he's still the oldest running back in the league. I love the guy too, but people want to put him on a pedestal too much.

I've always maintained that I want Spiller to be back. Bringing him back while utilizing him properly would be huge for this team IMO. Instead of running him up the gut where there is no hole, how about pulling a Guard or something...no wait.

The failure of the running game this year is more of an indictment on the offensive line, scheme, play-calling, coaching, and stuff like that. I see Spiller rebounding in a huge way if he returns under more favorable conditions.

Hell, I remember lots of idiotic Bills fans wanting Dareus gone not too long ago, and for a while. Adamant about it too.

It seems clear to me that Spiller doesn't like contact, nor does he read blocks very well. The number of times he bounces a run and loses yardage when it calls for him to stick his nose in and take 3 yards is maddening. As Pink said he is a dancing machine, I personally think he is a wuss. Gimme Boobie and Bryce Brown all day/every day, they want to bang.

Ed
01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
The thread title is misleading - he doesn't like Rex, he likes what he thinks Rex means for him and his career...
No, he does like Rex.

Spiller:
“I’ve gotten to know Rex the last two years. His son attends Clemson and he comes down to games and we’ve both been at events they have every year at Clemson,” said Spiller. “He’s a wonderful guy and a great person to get to know, funny, so we’ve had a great chemistry these last couple of years and obviously playing against him the previous five years has also helped.”

better days
01-13-2015, 01:12 PM
I just found this article that seems to claim that the player option for Spiller doesn't actually exist. It sounds like he'll just become a UFA if the Bills don't re-sign him.

http://overthecap.com/cj-spiller-mysterious-player-option/

SPECULATION only in that article.

And if playing time is a trigger to end the contract, Spiller may not have reached it last year.

We will have to wait & see, but Spiller is talking like he expects to be a Bill next year.

sudzy
01-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Spiller was one of the first players to tweet about the Rex hire. Byrd sounded like he had one foot out the door, last year (and he did), Hughes sounds like he has one foot out the door, this year. Spiller sounds like his heart is on coming back. I think it will get done, now.

justasportsfan
01-13-2015, 01:36 PM
If he likes Rex so much than he can sign the contract for 2 million per year :D

Ed
01-13-2015, 01:49 PM
SPECULATION only in that article.

And if playing time is a trigger to end the contract, Spiller may not have reached it last year.

We will have to wait & see, but Spiller is talking like he expects to be a Bill next year.
Well the guy seems to know what he's talking about and it makes sense, which is probably why we can't seem to find anything concrete about this supposed option year being available to Spiller. If the playing time trigger to void the option year is only 45% in any one year of the contract then he's already done that before last season.

Either way, there would be no benefit to Spiller exercising that option. He'll want a longer deal with more guaranteed money and shouldn't have a problem getting it from someone. Whaley has said he wants Spiller back and Spiller has said he wants to be back, so I'm not expecting any issues getting him re-signed. I think it will get done and be fair to both sides.

CommissarSpartacus
01-13-2015, 07:15 PM
No, he does like Rex.

Spiller:
“I’ve gotten to know Rex the last two years. His son attends Clemson and he comes down to games and we’ve both been at events they have every year at Clemson,” said Spiller. “He’s a wonderful guy and a great person to get to know, funny, so we’ve had a great chemistry these last couple of years and obviously playing against him the previous five years has also helped.”

He knows him from parties and football games.

Ilike lots of people I meet at parties and football games.

CJ's already sucking up to the new coach.

HHURRICANE
01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Spiller who?

Who is this guy?