PDA

View Full Version : Is Rex Ryan an Upgrade Over Doug Marrone as Head Coach?

feldspar
01-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Trying to get a feel here.

Please take the poll.

Yes or no...maybes aren't allowed in the poll, but you can pussyfoot around in your replies if your feelings aren't black-and-white.

Is Rex Ryan an upgrade over Doug Marrone as Head Coach? Simple question. Feel free to elaborate on your opinion as to why you feel that way.

Also, try not to let any animosity of Marrone's opt-out influence your opinion. Who is the better coach, and specifically for the Bills in 2015 going forward?

This has nothing to do with who the better candidate would be besides Rex after Marrone left.

TacklingDummy
01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Doesn't matter, with no QB the Bills are not winning 9 games next year.

So does that mean Marrone was better?

Generalissimus Gibby
01-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Well he did beat the Pats a couple times and did so with a smothering D. That being said, a combo of Tebow, Sanchez, Geno, and Vick (the law office you don't want representing you) and high priced overrated players did him in. He actually did okay in the post season, but they did not have a strategy for sustained winning. I was a lot more pissed at the signing than I am after reading up on his OC offering. IF he keeps the Schwartz and doesn't meddle too much on that side of the rock and on the kicking game where we need a tweak or two but no dumpster fire then I think we could be better off than we have been in a while. True, I already filed my annual frivolous complaint to the BBB --it was a record for earliest complaint this year -- but stepping back for a minute I am actually not so much against it. I think in a way yes, he is a minor upgrade.

sudzy
Rex and it's not even close.

Generalissimus Gibby

Its January, just saying.

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Doug Marrone is still looking for a job.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 05:52 PM

No, that means that you are wishy-washy and refuse to answer the question.

Are you so far jaded and gone that you don't have an opinion?

The Jokeman
01-12-2015, 06:00 PM
I give Rex the vote because he's probably better in the locker room, can step in and coach on the field. Yet when it comes down to game time decision it's a push and will give Marrone credit for getting a good coaching staff as to me his ability to mass two strong defenses in back to back years is pretty impressive. That said if Ryan were to have Marrone's coaches think he'd win more games than Marrone would and why I give him the nod.

Don't Panic
01-12-2015, 06:35 PM
LOL... 14-0. Doug who?

Famous Amos
01-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Rex Ryan is certainly more experienced! Hes got some pedigree and won a superbowl on Billick's staff.

One area where he beats Marrone hands down is relevance. I don't think anymore here believed for a second once people got wind of Marrone's out clause and you started hearing how he's a highly sought after commodity and other similar bull****. That was all posturing and smoke being blown up our asses by his agent. Rex Ryan on the other hand has some credibility and national staying power. He'll give Buffalo a chance with the National media and if he can maintain our awesome defense we will see some national games in the future! This is more than Terrell Owens getting the key of the city. Rex is here to stay.

Another thing is Rex could have gone to the NFL and not have to play the Patriots twice during the year. He could have sat out for a bit and done some TV. He made the conscious choice to stay within the division and finish the job he started, which was knocking the Patriots off the top of the AFC East. Ryan has balls and will immediately toughen up the Bills and instill in them some confidence. I think he'll change the culture of the team. The players will love to play for him and rally around him.

Marrone employed a mediocre o coordinator. Lets hope Roman can surpass that judgement and elevate the offense to a more respectable level.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 06:36 PM
I doubt anyone will vote for Marrone

EDS
01-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Lateral move.

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Lateral move.

Are you smoking crack?

Strongman
01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
I think it's fair to say the 2014 Bills were 9-7 despite Marrone/Hackett. With the same team, Rex Ryan would have done better.

Skooby
01-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Doug's work at Syracuse is legendary so I'll go with Rex.

l3ills
01-12-2015, 07:15 PM
I vote that I love OP's avatar pic. 70's-90's slashers ftw.....Though I'm more of a Jason Voorhees guy.

Beebe
01-12-2015, 07:27 PM
It's been a long time since I've been this happy January for my Bills.

Buckets
01-13-2015, 07:03 AM
I need another choice!!

EDS
01-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Are you smoking crack?

No, I am allergic to smoke.

Rex would be a very good defensive coordinator but he is only tolerable as a head coach.

better days
01-13-2015, 08:08 AM
No, I am allergic to smoke.

Rex would be a very good defensive coordinator but he is only tolerable as a head coach.

The question was is he an UPGRADE over Doug Marrone?

YES or NO.

Rex may not be the perfect game manager, but he has a number of GOOD attributes which Marrone lacks.

I doubt we will see HEALTHY GOOD players inactive on game day anymore for example.

Mace
01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
I voted Ryan because he's not Marrone.

That said, I don't know if either one of them is a good "Head Coach". They both have game management issues, and they both leave one side of the ball completely alone. Ryan is a better motivator and communicator, and is more aggressive and fearless.

So I'm not sure we didn't replace Marrone with a better motivating, better communicating, more aggressive, fearfully fearless Marrone.

jamze132
01-13-2015, 11:02 AM
This shouldn't even be debatable. I'll take a foot fetish over a quitter any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

EDS
01-13-2015, 11:05 AM
The question was is he an UPGRADE over Doug Marrone?

YES or NO.

Rex may not be the perfect game manager, but he has a number of GOOD attributes which Marrone lacks.

I doubt we will see HEALTHY GOOD players inactive on game day anymore for example.

I hope to be proven incorrect, but this is definitely not the direction I would have gone if I were the Bills owner or GM.

feldspar
01-13-2015, 11:22 PM
LOL.

doug45 would rather have Marrone as a Head Coach.

Marrone, is that you? Get a job, ya bum.

WagonCircler
01-13-2015, 11:54 PM
52-1 Oh. My. God!

Hilarious.

More lopsided than the 51-3 Bills vs Raiders 1990 AFC Championship Game.

YardRat
01-14-2015, 04:54 AM
Rex > Marrone
Roman > Hackett
Thurman <<< Schwartz

I wouldn't gone in this direction either, but obviously I hope it works out for the best.

Overall it's a one step forward, two steps back type move, I was expecting (again, hoping) for a hire that would continue an upward trend and it just appears to me that instead being a legit contender next season we'll be back to 'close but no cigar' for at least another season or two. Things can flip quickly, though, in this league...it would ne nice if it did so in our favor for once.

swiper
01-14-2015, 05:04 AM
LOL at all you idiot fans. In two years, when the "can we get Marrone back?" threads start appearing, can we please bring this thread back around.

Fact: Marrone had the team at 9 - 7 and on the upswing. With a halfway decent QB he would have easily been 10 - 6 or 11 - 5.

Fact: Ryan took a team from 11-5 to 4-12 over his tenure.

Is he going to put colored wrist bands on EJ Manuel and turn him into a star like he did for Mark Sanchez?

Mike Francesa on WFAN yesterday: "Rex Ryan refused to be involved in the offense or the special teams. A head coach is involved in all aspects of his team. Rex is a defensive coordinator. All great coaches, Parcells, Belichick, are all involved in all aspects of the team. Ryan is not that."

swiper
01-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Rex > Marrone

LOL. How do you figure that? BOTH Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini had better results with the Jets with what they were handed than Rex Ryan. Again, where the Bills fans see this "great coach" I'll never understand. He took Mangini & Tanenbaum's team and rolled straight downhill with it.

From 2000 - 2008 (before Rex Ryan) the Jets record fell below 9 - 7 (The Marrone line) just 3 times under Groh, Mangini & Edwards. That would be considered excellent by Bills fan standards. Then Ryan came in. In his time he was below that line 4/6 years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/

Night Train
01-14-2015, 05:22 AM
LOL at all you idiot fans. In two years, when the "can we get Marrone back?" threads start appearing, can we please bring this thread back around.

Fact: Marrone had the team at 9 - 7 and on the upswing. With a halfway decent QB he would have easily been 10 - 6 or 11 - 5.

Fact: Ryan took a team from 11-5 to 4-12 over his tenure.

Is he going to put colored wrist bands on EJ Manuel and turn him into a star like he did for Mark Sanchez?

Mike Francesa on WFAN yesterday: "Rex Ryan refused to be involved in the offense or the special teams. A head coach is involved in all aspects of his team. Rex is a defensive coordinator. All great coaches, Parcells, Belichick, are all involved in all aspects of the team. Ryan is not that."

Levy was a ST's coach and knew little about O or D. He knew how to lead or delegate. Marchibroda ran his O. That worked out pretty good, if I recall.

Ryan hired a OC in Roman that matched his philosophy of running the ball, while playing good D. He saw that work in Baltimore and NY.

If you wish to discount the Jets have a dope for an owner who fired 2 bad GM's while Ryan watched his roster lose talent, feel free. Cite the record and end all the conversations.

I'm giving Ryan a chance in mid-January and will observe the roster additions up until camp starts. Lots of work to be done and if the players are happy he's here, then they tend to do well with the proper direction. This team has tons more talent than the Jets. Find your QB and play the games.

Schwartz did well but seems like this was a short stop. Bills certainly didn't OWE him the HC job, when he went 29-51 in Detroit. He's a pretty wealthy man with Detriot still paying him 12 Mil and will have options.

YardRat
01-14-2015, 05:36 AM
LOL. How do you figure that? BOTH Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini had better results with the Jets with what they were handed than Rex Ryan. Again, where the Bills fans see this "great coach" I'll never understand. He took Mangini & Tanenbaum's team and rolled straight downhill with it.

From 2000 - 2008 (before Rex Ryan) the Jets record fell below 9 - 7 (The Marrone line) just 3 times under Groh, Mangini & Edwards. That would be considered excellent by Bills fan standards. Then Ryan came in. In his time he was below that line 4/6 years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/

You're preaching to the choir, I hope you realize, but that being said I expect Ryan to be more of a player's coach, he has a larger circle to cull assistants from, he should be able to draw more interest from middling FA's to upgrade the roster, I doubt he'll banish players to the scout team if they can help on the field on Sundays, he won't be as conservative, he'll ride the refs over bad calls, he at least has some experience with the playoffs, etc etc.

swiper
01-14-2015, 06:15 AM
You're preaching to the choir, I hope you realize, but that being said I expect Ryan to be more of a player's coach, he has a larger circle to cull assistants from, he should be able to draw more interest from middling FA's to upgrade the roster, I doubt he'll banish players to the scout team if they can help on the field on Sundays, he won't be as conservative, he'll ride the refs over bad calls, he at least has some experience with the playoffs, etc etc.

I don't like Marrone. But I don't like Ryan. Wade Phillips was a players coach and it was his downfall in Buffalo. Fat DTs playing hard one snap, then taking two off. Like that.

swiper
01-14-2015, 06:21 AM
I'm giving Ryan a chance in mid-January and will observe the roster additions up until camp starts. Lots of work to be done and if the players are happy he's here, then they tend to do well with the proper direction. This team has tons more talent than the Jets. Find your QB and play the games.

I agree. (What choice do I have?). And you're certainly right, that the Jets misgivings are due to a lousy owner. But, no matter that doesn't make Ryan a good coach. I haven't seen it.

But about the talent? Maybe at RB/WR the Bills do. Remind you the Jets still have a couple of studs on the o-line (Ferguson, Mangold) and d-line and some decent LBs.

But the QB is the key. Without one, Ryan is destined to have a problem here. Given the story about his concern about that, I would suspect that the Pegulas have a plan they sold him on. So I am hopeful.

sukie
01-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Marrone had a look on his face ... kinda half nauseated, half holding in a potential shart. I like sideline fire. It inspires.

Historian
01-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Levy was a ST's coach and knew little about O or D. He knew how to lead or delegate. Marchibroda ran his O. That worked out pretty good, if I recall.

And those of you who are old enough...think about what happened to that Bills team after Marchibroda left:

The offense went downhill statistically.
The team "only" went 11-5, and 12-4 before falling off the Super Bowl radar.
Lost Wolford, replaced him with Ballard...Lost Ballard, tried to replace him with Crafts. 1994: 7-9, forcing Marv to hire Wade.
Replaced Lofton with Bill Brooks, and Steve Tasker.

My point: After Ted, the Bills were never the same under Bresnihan.

A good coordinator is worth his weight in gold....on either side of the ball.

psubills62
01-14-2015, 07:22 AM
I think Ryan is a bit better. It's not entirely clear, as 1) we don't have a large sample size with Marrone, and 2) I think we'll know more when we see Ryan deal with a different GM. Hopefully a better GM who gets him more talent than he got with the NYJ.

pmoon6
01-14-2015, 07:51 AM
And those of you who are old enough...think about what happened to that Bills team after Marchibroda left:

Lost Wolford, replaced him with Ballard...Lost Ballard, tried to replace him with Crafts. 1994: 7-9, forcing Marv to hire Wade.

One correction. Ballard played right tackle. Wolford was replaced with John Fina.

Woodman
01-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Hell Yes!

better days
01-14-2015, 08:58 AM

And make no mistake, Rex is the Bills DC even though he does not have the title, just as Belicheck is the Pats* DC & Sean Payton is the Saints OC even though they don't have those titles.

CommissarSpartacus
01-14-2015, 10:01 AM
So, if Rex and the new OC are such an improvment, are all his boys guaranteeing the playoffs next year?

And heaven forbid, but if we finish with a WORSE record next year, will it be Rexy's fault?

better days
01-14-2015, 12:15 PM
So, if Rex and the new OC are such an improvment, are all his boys guaranteeing the playoffs next year?

And heaven forbid, but if we finish with a WORSE record next year, will it be Rexy's fault?

Barring injuries, YES if the Bills can't at least match the 9-7 record Marrone produced, it is on Rex.

And I don't think Rex would have it any other way.

And I don't expect the bills to finish worse than 9-7 myself either.

swiper
01-14-2015, 12:21 PM
There's going to be a lot of buyer's remorse here in the not so distant future.

swiper
01-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Marrone had a look on his face ... kinda half nauseated, half holding in a potential shart. I like sideline fire. It inspires.

Don Shula and Tom Landry couldn't disagree with you more.

better days
01-14-2015, 12:24 PM
There's going to be a lot of buyer's remorse here in the not so distant future.

More likely is a couple posters will have egg on their face.

imbondz
01-14-2015, 12:25 PM
it's not really a fair poll, since Marrone quit. Screw Marrone. Obviously I'd take most any coach over one that quits.