PDA

View Full Version : Would You Trade The Bills 2016 1st Round Draft Pick For Jay Cutler?

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 06:45 PM
I would do it.

The Bills defense has a 2 year window of Championship opportunity.

Paying Cutler's contract is not an issue with the Pegula's.

If the Bills did trade their 2016 first rounder for Jay Cutler to the Bears, I would be convinced that the Pegula's are all in on winning a Super Bowl Championship sooner than anyone would ever expect.

Why not? The Bears are heading in to rebuilding mode with a new GM, and are in need of a major overhaul on defense.

The Bears might not bite knowing the Bills 2016 first rounder would likely come after the 20th pick, but is their any other team willing to give them a first round pick for Cutler?

The Bears might take what they can get and unload Cutler's contract to free up money for the imminent, "heavy lift," coming in Chicago.

Cutler is a better quarterback than EJ Manuel or any free agent.

In 2014, Cutler had a 66% completion percentage, 3,812 yards passing, 28 TD's and 18 Int's.

If the Bills had that kind of production out of their quarterback in 2014, they'd be playing the Patriots on Sunday.

Strongman
01-12-2015, 06:46 PM
I would do it.

If the Bills did trade their 2016 first rounder for Jay Cutler to the Bears, I would be convinced that the Pegula's are all in on winning a Super Bowl Championship sooner than anyone would ever expect.

Why not? The Bears are heading in to rebuilding mode with a new GM, and are in need of a major overhaul on defense.

The Bears might not bite knowing the Bills 2016 first rounder would likely come after the 20th pick, but is their any other team willing to give them a first round pick for Cutler?

The Bears might take what they can get and unload Cutler's contract to free up money for the imminent, "heavy lift," coming in Chicago.

In 2014, Cutler had a 66% completion percentage, 3,812 yards passing, 28 TD's and 18 Int's.

If the Bills had that kind of production out of their quarterback in 2014, they'd be playing the Patriots on Sunday.

No

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-12-2015, 06:47 PM
No. Stupid qb bad idea

Jaybird
01-12-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't think it would take that much to get him, therefore i would not

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 06:50 PM
No. Stupid qb bad idea

So that means EJ Manuel, a free agent like Vick or Sanchez, or a rookie quarterback is better?

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 06:52 PM
I don't think it would take that much to get him, therefore i would not

When's the last time a starting quarterback has been traded for a 2nd round or later pick?

Jaybird
01-12-2015, 06:54 PM
It's based in his salary. The main reason why the Bears would trade him

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
It's based in his salary. The main reason why the Bears would trade him

That's not the only reason. The Bears defense is old. New GM + new head coach = major overhaul.

BidsJr
01-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Cutler is a locker room cancer and a stupid QB with a great arm. See Jeff George v2.0

ParanoidAndroid
01-12-2015, 07:07 PM
So that means EJ Manuel, a free agent like Vick or Sanchez, or a rookie quarterback is better?

Cutler is not worth a 1st. No way. The 2016 draft class looks decent for QB's. Cutler can be had for much less. I would not, once again, mortgage the future for anything less than a sure thing.

Patti120
01-12-2015, 07:11 PM
No

BillsImpossible
01-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Would a 2nd round pick in 2015 or 2016 get the deal done?

That would be a steal.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Cutler. He has a ton of talent but he is not half the leader EJ or Orton is. He's a pouty little ***** who crawls into his own shell when the game doesn't go his way.

With that said, he has major talent so I'm not against trading for him, just not with a high pick.

In fact Chicago needs to unload his huge salary. I'll take Cutler and their 2nd round this year for our 2nd next year. I'm not giving any more than that.

Buffalogic
01-12-2015, 07:31 PM
I wish they would go after cutler. It makes a lot of sense. Bears new gm Pace has a lot to think about.

Saratoga Slim
01-12-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Cutler. He has a ton of talent but he is not half the leader EJ or Orton is. He's a pouty little ***** who crawls into his own shell when the game doesn't go his way.

With that said, he has major talent so I'm not against trading for him, just not with a high pick.

In fact Chicago needs to unload his huge salary. I'll take Cutler and their 2nd round this year for our 2nd next year. I'm not giving any more than that.

Yeah, no way anyone's giving them a 1st for Cutler. He was a mid-round first to begin with, and hasn't won.

The only way I'd even consider giving up a first is if it was a HIGHLY conditional pick - i.e. we give them a 2016 first if in 2015 he has a 3-1 TD to INT ratio and takes us to the playoffs.

BidsJr
01-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Cutler is a locker room cancer and a stupid QB with a great arm. See Jeff George v2.0

QFT

feldspar
01-12-2015, 07:44 PM
How about a second round pick for Sam Bradford?

Just throwing that out there in the mix.

Ingtar33
01-12-2015, 07:44 PM

Chicago might take that trade to get out from under that contract.

from what I've heard from family in Chicago the city is ready to trade him for a half eaten week old burrito and some laxatives.

BidsJr
01-12-2015, 08:05 PM
How about a second round pick for Sam Bradford?

Just throwing that out there in the mix.

I would take Sam Bradford as the modern day Chris Chandler a million times over before Jay cutler.

Buffalogic
01-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Sam Bradford is Samuel L. Jackson in unbreakable. He has talent but he's never on the field and who knows what he's capable of after the combination of injuries he's had.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Sam Bradford is Samuel L. Jackson in unbreakable. He has talent but he's never on the field and who knows what he's capable of after the combination of injuries he's had.

As long as he's not completely insane...

jimmifli
01-12-2015, 08:41 PM
That contract makes him worthless. I'd love to have him, but he isn't worth that hit.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Sam Bradford is Samuel L. Jackson in unbreakable.
LOL so true!

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Chicago might take that trade to get out from under that contract.

from what I've heard from family in Chicago the city is ready to trade him for a half eaten week old burrito and some laxatives.
Every single one of my Bears fans friends feel the same way. We may have a ton of leverage and can lowball the hell out of them. I'd start with Cutler and their 2nd for a 5th.

djjimkelly
01-12-2015, 09:22 PM
That's not the only reason. The Bears defense is old. New GM + new head coach = major overhaul.

john fox will be the next bears coach depends on what he thinks of him

id guess he keeps him

paladin warrior
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
HUH ? I am going to be sick . puke

IlluminatusUIUC
01-12-2015, 11:12 PM
When's the last time a starting quarterback has been traded for a 2nd round or later pick?

Alex Smith
Matt Cassel

trapezeus
01-13-2015, 07:13 AM
no to the original post.

the bears are saddled with a bad contract now. if you trade for him, you are helping them. So they have to give you something in turn for that baggage.

Also trading for a struggling qb is the old bills idea. groom one. you started with EJ. it's his last chance to blow. have a sanchez , yates, bradford, backup. Somone who can go .500 by doing very little and not being asked to win games. You also draft a qb in this draft who can sit a year and learn the system. And he should be a guy that roman feels pretty excited by.

When people are all up in arms that we don't do anything the right way, trading for cutler is an example of the wrong way. and a first rounder is absurd.

better days
01-13-2015, 08:20 AM

Agreed, which is why Cutler should be available for a 3rd rnd pick in this draft which I would do in a heartbeat.

Ingtar33
01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
When people are all up in arms that we don't do anything the right way, trading for cutler is an example of the wrong way. and a first rounder is absurd.

especially since chicago will sell him for a lot cheaper then a 1st... his market value shouldn't be any higher then a 4th right now... and even that is probably stretching it. I suspect market value might be less then a pick in this years draft... maybe a swap of picks. like chicago's (higher) 4th and Cutler for some other teams (lower) 4th... type of swap. the problem chicago has is they can't afford his contract, don't want him there, and the number of teams that can take that contract on is less then 5. there is no market for him right now.

better days
01-13-2015, 08:23 AM

Cutler is NOT a locker room cancer.

He was voted by his teammates as the Bears representative for the Walter Payton award.

Bill Cody
01-13-2015, 09:22 AM
no to the original post.

the bears are saddled with a bad contract now. if you trade for him, you are helping them. So they have to give you something in turn for that baggage.

Also trading for a struggling qb is the old bills idea. groom one. you started with EJ. it's his last chance to blow. have a sanchez , yates, bradford, backup. Somone who can go .500 by doing very little and not being asked to win games. You also draft a qb in this draft who can sit a year and learn the system. And he should be a guy that roman feels pretty excited by.

Chicago would take a 7th for him to get out from under that contract.

Dr. Who
01-13-2015, 09:28 AM
I would do it.

This is a crazy idea. Cutler is not very good and with his contract, the Bears should offer some team a draft pick to take him. He reminds me of a modern day Jeff George.

Zero
01-13-2015, 09:36 AM
I would do it.

No way

jamze132
01-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Would I trade for Cutler? Yes. But not a 1st rounder, or a second rounder...

ticatfan
01-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Stay away from cutler. He is a coach killer.

Mace
01-13-2015, 11:17 AM
A first in the hand is better than none in the bush.

So I would order some No, with a side of No, a glass of No, and some No after with a cup of No.

notacon
01-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I thought about this for a second....and then I saw who suggested it approvingly. On that basis, it must be a terrible idea.

Strongman
01-13-2015, 01:51 PM
The Bills would be better off to find a longer term solution at QB. I just don't see how giving away draft picks (especially high ones) for Cutler accomplishes this. They'd be better off going to camp with EJ, Tuel, maybe someone like Hoyer, and a rookie with high upside.

In hindsdight, I wish they had a 1st round pick this year which they could trade away for lower pick this year (say like a 3rd) and a 1st next year

colin
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
i think the idea of a low pick for him (or even him and a better pick) might make sense. it's a lot of money, but if we have cap room right now we can move some stuff around and make it not kill us. he can throw darts and we have some WR talent, and we'd still have cash and picks to get a TE and OL talent. that with a super crazy rexy D and some good special teams makes us a force.

better days
01-13-2015, 03:35 PM
The Bills would be better off to find a longer term solution at QB. I just don't see how giving away draft picks (especially high ones) for Cutler accomplishes this. They'd be better off going to camp with EJ, Tuel, maybe someone like Hoyer, and a rookie with high upside.

In hindsdight, I wish they had a 1st round pick this year which they could trade away for lower pick this year (say like a 3rd) and a 1st next year

I agree it would be stupid to trade a high pick for Cutler, but a 3rd rnd pick I would do in a heartbeat.

There is a reason Cutler got that ridiculous contract.......he is not as bad as some people make him out to be.

Strongman
01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
I agree it would be stupid to trade a high pick for Cutler, but a 3rd rnd pick I would do in a heartbeat.

There is a reason Cutler got that ridiculous contract.......he is not as bad as some people make him out to be.

No doubt the guy has talent and I don't understand why he's maligned the way he is. A 3rd makes a lot more sense for him and is VERY tempting.

Still, I don't really know if this team should be giving away more draft picks at this point. Tough call.

better days
01-13-2015, 03:57 PM
No doubt the guy has talent and I don't understand why he's maligned the way he is. A 3rd makes a lot more sense for him and is VERY tempting.

Still, I don't really know if this team should be giving away more draft picks at this point. Tough call.

Well, if the Bears really want to get rid of him, maybe the Bills could talk them into a 3rd in the 2016 draft.

justasportsfan
01-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Forget Cutler. Sign Peyton once he parts with Denver.

Bills will be in the limelight nationally 4 games a year. Rex vs jets 2X and Peyton vs. Brady 2X.

A marketing dream for Russ.

BillsImpossible
01-13-2015, 06:44 PM

I don't think it's as tough a call as we think it is.

Paying Jerry Hughes $10 million and CJ Spiller $5 million vs. paying Jay Cutler?

Cutler's base salary is $15.5 million in 2015, $16 million in 2016, $12.5 million in 2017, and $13.5 million in 2018.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

If the Bills give up their first round pick in 2016 for Cutler, and make the playoffs next year they will have given up the 20th pick in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft at worse.

That's what it all boils down to. Giving up the 20-something-ish 1st round draft pick for Jay Cutler.

I'd definitely give up a late first round draft pick for Jay Cutler.

BillsImpossible
01-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Forget Cutler. Sign Peyton once he parts with Denver.

Bills will be in the limelight nationally 4 games a year. Rex vs jets 2X and Peyton vs. Brady 2X.

A marketing dream for Russ.

Manning turns 39 in March.

Cutler turns 32 in April.

Manning's contract for 2015 and 2016 has a base salary of $19 million.

No way the Broncos cut Peyton Manning.

Strongman
01-13-2015, 07:18 PM
I don't think it's as tough a call as we think it is.

Paying Jerry Hughes $10 million and CJ Spiller $5 million vs. paying Jay Cutler?

Cutler's base salary is $15.5 million in 2015, $16 million in 2016, $12.5 million in 2017, and $13.5 million in 2018.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

If the Bills give up their first round pick in 2016 for Cutler, and make the playoffs next year they will have given up the 20th pick in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft at worse.

That's what it all boils down to. Giving up the 20-something-ish 1st round draft pick for Jay Cutler.

I'd definitely give up a late first round draft pick for Jay Cutler.

I follow your logic and it makes sense, but there's a big downside: are you willing to set the franchise back a couple more years if Cutler doesn't pan out the way you hope?

He reminds of Fitzpatrick with a better arm... when he's on he'll be good, but he'll kill us with a critical interception at the wrong time. Boom or bust with him. Dealing a 1st round pick in 2016 seems like a lot to give up for a QB like that.

jlgarsh
01-13-2015, 09:06 PM
They said a couple weeks ago on ESPN that several GMs thought Cutler's current value was a 7th round puck, and that Chicago would probably take a mid to late round pick if someone is willing to trade for him. So I doubt that the Bills would trade a high pick for Cutler....