• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Schwartz Leaving Due To Bruised Ego

Feels any future D success would be attributed to Rex. Wow.

Although Ryan’s coaching background is rooted in defense and his scheme
    differs from Schwartz’s, Ryan is fine with allowing Schwartz to continue to run
    the defense that ranked as one of the NFL’s best last season, the source said.
    The main issue apparently is Schwartz’s potential discomfort over the likelihood
    that any defensive success the Bills have will be credited more to Ryan.

Then it sounds like he was a short timer either way.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Schwartz Leaving Due To Bruised Ego

He should be the head coach.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I don't blame him a bit.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

He can take the Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, SF or Jets job.

I'm sure he's a hot commodity as a HC, in the eyes of some posters here. We'll see.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Kind of sucks. He did great things to that defense. Makes me like the Rex hire less.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            Then it sounds like he was a short timer either way.
            From the day we hired him I never thought he'd be here that long. Hiring Rex made it that much more unlikely that he'd stay. This just had the feel of a rest stop for him, unless he was going to be come HC...

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            He should be the head coach.
            ...which I'm glad he isn't. The bottom line is that, compared to Rex, he was no where near as good of a head coach. Had a lot more to work with and achieved less. Plus, things were pretty dicey there for a while in the last couple of years. He's a Super Bowl quality DC. That's his ceiling IMO. Who knows if he would've hung around even if we had brought in an offensive minded (and much smaller than life figure) HC. I guess he probably would have. What's done is done.

My biggest fear in losing him is losing the effectiveness of that 4 man rush we had. That was the best thing I've seen out of this team in a long time. I just hope a 3-4 switch doesn't lead to lost gains there.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              I don't blame him a bit.
              I don't blame anybody, but if you're going to spin this as anything other than Schwartz walking away you've lost it.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                I don't blame anybody, but if you're going to spin this as anything other than Schwartz walking away you've lost it.
                If I was Schwartz, I'd be pissed too. The whole direction looks misguided and unnecessary. Rex Ryan doesn't make sense for the Bills, IMO. Elite D that desperately needed tweeking in the offense arena and the Pegulas hire the opposite of what this team needed - an offensive minded coach that could have let the defense continue to shine.
                Not a spin, but Schwartz developed this defense into elite status last season. He deserves credit for that.

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Schwartz was not head coach material. He's proven that already. He has a great football mind but his ego and his antics make him too much of a distraction.
                  I liked him as a DC but I did not want to see him as our head coach.

He's smart he wants to be a coach again and he knows that Rex will cast a big shadow, he might not get the credit he's due limiting his opportunities.
                  So he will take a chance and look for the next stepping stone. Good luck to him.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Totally inevitable

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

whoever he signs with, hopefully he isn't carried across the RWS field next year.

Schwartz has also coached two teams with incredible taleent up front on the front 4. that oakland game left me amazed at how porous the team was without an allstar. made me think he's not so much the brains we thought he'd be.

Rex i think has more history of making average defenses better and good ones great.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                        If I was Schwartz, I'd be pissed too. The whole direction looks misguided and unnecessary. Rex Ryan doesn't make sense for the Bills, IMO. Elite D that desperately needed tweeking in the offense arena and the Pegulas hire the opposite of what this team needed - an offensive minded coach that could have let the defense continue to shine.
                        Not a spin, but Schwartz developed this defense into elite status last season. He deserves credit for that.
                        The only person Schwartz should be pissed at is Doug Marrone -the guy who brought him in & quit after 1 year, abandoning his assistant coaches.

ANY coach that is hired has the right to bring in his own guys. When a new coach comes in & is told to keep assistants from a prior regime, it's a sign that he's not a very strong hire-you do that with rookie coaches, like we used to do when we hired coaches on the cheap.

The minute Marrone quit, he threw his entire staff under the bus. Schwartz is leaving because Marrone quit & the new ownership had the guts to bring in a strong head coach, not some guy who just accepts the previous assistants. Schwartz wasn't going to be here in most cases once Marrone quit.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

who knows how open rex was to it, but it was reported he would allow him to stay (at a bare minimum) and wanted him to stay (as the best case scenario). It can be argued rex could have just made the gesture and was ready to bring his guys in.

Part of me thinks to get roman, they needed to give him Assistant HC title and that couldn't have made schwartz feel welcome at all.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Like coastal said, this is inevitable, sooner or later. I was hoping he can stay on and the two defensive mind can come up something new. But BOTH of them love the thrill of controlling a defense too much. If you expect Rex to give up designing and controling defense, he'd be in TV booth by now. That's his passion being on the sideline.

Talent is talent. There is no denying the Bills D will do good under most coordinators. Heck if reports that Schwartz is worried that future defensive success may be attributed to Ryan, it says even he knows Ryan's scheme will work in Buffalo.

I said that before. I do prefer Rex's scheme which is like Belichick's D during his defensive hey days where it changes game to game. Everything comes down to players, but Rex's D offers more ways to disguise the lack of talent issue. Also Rex is known for an eye on defensive talent which can only help Whaley.

In the long run, Schwartz's leaving is not news and offers no impact. The issue is most people expecting us to ride the defense to playoff next season and now the upheaval may derail that dream. I cannot say there is no concern about that. On the other hand, how reasonable can it be for a new HC to come in with inevitable changes in coaching staff (new offense for sure) that they must make playoff right away with no QB and no 1st round pick at hand?

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

There's the door, go find Doug & a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X