PDA

View Full Version : Schwartz Leaving Due To Bruised Ego

Night Train
01-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Feels any future D success would be attributed to Rex. Wow.

Although Ryan’s coaching background is rooted in defense and his scheme
differs from Schwartz’s, Ryan is fine with allowing Schwartz to continue to run
the defense that ranked as one of the NFL’s best last season, the source said.
The main issue apparently is Schwartz’s potential discomfort over the likelihood
that any defensive success the Bills have will be credited more to Ryan.

Then it sounds like he was a short timer either way.

swiper
01-13-2015, 04:14 AM
He should be the head coach.

YardRat
01-13-2015, 04:24 AM
I don't blame him a bit.

Night Train
01-13-2015, 04:25 AM
He can take the Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, SF or Jets job.

I'm sure he's a hot commodity as a HC, in the eyes of some posters here. We'll see.

RedEyE
01-13-2015, 05:07 AM
Kind of sucks. He did great things to that defense. Makes me like the Rex hire less.

Don't Panic
01-13-2015, 05:08 AM

From the day we hired him I never thought he'd be here that long. Hiring Rex made it that much more unlikely that he'd stay. This just had the feel of a rest stop for him, unless he was going to be come HC...

...which I'm glad he isn't. The bottom line is that, compared to Rex, he was no where near as good of a head coach. Had a lot more to work with and achieved less. Plus, things were pretty dicey there for a while in the last couple of years. He's a Super Bowl quality DC. That's his ceiling IMO. Who knows if he would've hung around even if we had brought in an offensive minded (and much smaller than life figure) HC. I guess he probably would have. What's done is done.

My biggest fear in losing him is losing the effectiveness of that 4 man rush we had. That was the best thing I've seen out of this team in a long time. I just hope a 3-4 switch doesn't lead to lost gains there.

DraftBoy
01-13-2015, 05:47 AM
I don't blame him a bit.

I don't blame anybody, but if you're going to spin this as anything other than Schwartz walking away you've lost it.

RedEyE
01-13-2015, 06:13 AM
I don't blame anybody, but if you're going to spin this as anything other than Schwartz walking away you've lost it.

If I was Schwartz, I'd be pissed too. The whole direction looks misguided and unnecessary. Rex Ryan doesn't make sense for the Bills, IMO. Elite D that desperately needed tweeking in the offense arena and the Pegulas hire the opposite of what this team needed - an offensive minded coach that could have let the defense continue to shine.
Not a spin, but Schwartz developed this defense into elite status last season. He deserves credit for that.

The King
01-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Schwartz was not head coach material. He's proven that already. He has a great football mind but his ego and his antics make him too much of a distraction.
I liked him as a DC but I did not want to see him as our head coach.

He's smart he wants to be a coach again and he knows that Rex will cast a big shadow, he might not get the credit he's due limiting his opportunities.
So he will take a chance and look for the next stepping stone. Good luck to him.

coastal
01-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Totally inevitable

trapezeus
01-13-2015, 06:48 AM
whoever he signs with, hopefully he isn't carried across the RWS field next year.

Schwartz has also coached two teams with incredible taleent up front on the front 4. that oakland game left me amazed at how porous the team was without an allstar. made me think he's not so much the brains we thought he'd be.

Rex i think has more history of making average defenses better and good ones great.

Albany,n.y.
01-13-2015, 07:00 AM
If I was Schwartz, I'd be pissed too. The whole direction looks misguided and unnecessary. Rex Ryan doesn't make sense for the Bills, IMO. Elite D that desperately needed tweeking in the offense arena and the Pegulas hire the opposite of what this team needed - an offensive minded coach that could have let the defense continue to shine.
Not a spin, but Schwartz developed this defense into elite status last season. He deserves credit for that.

The only person Schwartz should be pissed at is Doug Marrone -the guy who brought him in & quit after 1 year, abandoning his assistant coaches.

ANY coach that is hired has the right to bring in his own guys. When a new coach comes in & is told to keep assistants from a prior regime, it's a sign that he's not a very strong hire-you do that with rookie coaches, like we used to do when we hired coaches on the cheap.

The minute Marrone quit, he threw his entire staff under the bus. Schwartz is leaving because Marrone quit & the new ownership had the guts to bring in a strong head coach, not some guy who just accepts the previous assistants. Schwartz wasn't going to be here in most cases once Marrone quit.

trapezeus
01-13-2015, 07:05 AM
who knows how open rex was to it, but it was reported he would allow him to stay (at a bare minimum) and wanted him to stay (as the best case scenario). It can be argued rex could have just made the gesture and was ready to bring his guys in.

Part of me thinks to get roman, they needed to give him Assistant HC title and that couldn't have made schwartz feel welcome at all.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Like coastal said, this is inevitable, sooner or later. I was hoping he can stay on and the two defensive mind can come up something new. But BOTH of them love the thrill of controlling a defense too much. If you expect Rex to give up designing and controling defense, he'd be in TV booth by now. That's his passion being on the sideline.

Talent is talent. There is no denying the Bills D will do good under most coordinators. Heck if reports that Schwartz is worried that future defensive success may be attributed to Ryan, it says even he knows Ryan's scheme will work in Buffalo.

I said that before. I do prefer Rex's scheme which is like Belichick's D during his defensive hey days where it changes game to game. Everything comes down to players, but Rex's D offers more ways to disguise the lack of talent issue. Also Rex is known for an eye on defensive talent which can only help Whaley.

In the long run, Schwartz's leaving is not news and offers no impact. The issue is most people expecting us to ride the defense to playoff next season and now the upheaval may derail that dream. I cannot say there is no concern about that. On the other hand, how reasonable can it be for a new HC to come in with inevitable changes in coaching staff (new offense for sure) that they must make playoff right away with no QB and no 1st round pick at hand?

Skooby
01-13-2015, 07:21 AM
There's the door, go find Doug & a job.

imbondz
01-13-2015, 07:22 AM
It's hysterical we're losing arguably the best coach we've had in over 10 years. Some of you who say our D is the only reason we won 9 games, yet are good w/ this. makes zero sense to me.

Our organization is no different than the Raiders, a complete mess without a clue on how to keep good players, good coaches, and turn things around. We just started another cycle, can't wait to re-build!

Joe Fo Sho
01-13-2015, 07:26 AM
It's hysterical we're losing arguably the best coach we've had in over 10 years. Some of you who say our D is the only reason we won 9 games, yet are good w/ this. makes zero sense to me.

Our organization is no different than the Raiders, a complete mess without a clue on how to keep good players, good coaches, and turn things around. We just started another cycle, can't wait to re-build!

Taking into account Rex's history with defenses, what makes you think our defense won't succeed?

Pinkerton Security
01-13-2015, 07:32 AM
Schwartz made our defense very good, but really they were damn good the year before under Pettine, and Pettine is a Rex Ryan devotee - he learned a lot from Rex in his 10 years under him. I fully expect our defense to be every bit as good as they were this past year, barring some major change I dont foresee.

Also - I like what he did with our defense but they guy is a bit of a prima-donna - TELLING his own players to carry him off the field after a meaningless win in Detroit is the stuff of egotistical nonsense..

Meathead
01-13-2015, 07:36 AM
i hope he at least filled out the butt hurt form before he left

wolfpack
01-13-2015, 07:43 AM

And people are banging on Rex's Career record, LMAO!

Schwartz Career record 29–52–0 (.358)

EDS
01-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Schwartz was not head coach material. He's proven that already. He has a great football mind but his ego and his antics make him too much of a distraction.

He's smart he wants to be a coach again and he knows that Rex will cast a big shadow, he might not get the credit he's due limiting his opportunities.
So he will take a chance and look for the next stepping stone. Good luck to him.

If you think Schwartz's ego and antics make him to much of a distraction, what do you think of Rex's ego, antics and fetishes?

Personally I think both would be more valuable to an organization in a DC/non-team spokesman role. Obviously, that is not going to happen for the Bills in 2015.

Meathead
i could buy the 'totally inevitable' idea if he had any real chance of a hc job right away but he doesnt. one single team even bothered to interview him for a hc job and that was the bills

if rexy was gonna give him carte blanche on the d then he certainly coulda been the dc here just as well as anywhere else. if the d does as well as it did last season theres no way he gets overshadowed by rex. then if other teams starting changing their mind about him as a hc he could leave then. seems like hes further behind if he goes someplace else and has to prove himself all over again, and likely with a lot less talent to work with

perhaps it really was philosophical differences but thats not what appears most likely to me. rex said he wanted him and so i gotta assume he was going to allow schwartz to do his thing so philosophical differences would be moot. i doubt rex cares much whether they run his exact system, weve seen how good coordinators can make the hybrids work well and adjust based on personnel. i just cant see rex saying we have to install my stuff and you get to stand there and watch mr dc who i said i really wanted to stay

sounds more like a butt hurt schwartzinator to me

EDS
Do the Bills have any in-house candidates to elevate that can run the 2014 defensive scheme?

The King
01-13-2015, 07:48 AM
If you think Schwartz's ego and antics make him to much of a distraction, what do you think of Rex's ego, antics and fetishes?

I'm not a fan of it. But I feel Rex owns up to his flaws, I feel like as head coach Schwartz deflected them.

Pinkerton Security
01-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Do the Bills have any in-house candidates to elevate that can run the 2014 defensive scheme?

What does everyone not understand - Rex is basically going to run our defense with his schemes. Also part of the reason Schwartz left, he has his own schemes that he wouldn't be running anymore.

better days
01-13-2015, 08:15 AM

What has Schwartz done to make you think he would be a better HC than Rex?

I would have been happy with Schwartz as HC, but I am much happier we got Rex.

Just watch what Rex will do with the Bills secondary.

Skooby
01-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Rex has Super Bowl win running a defense and always has a top 10 or better defense, we have arguably the most talented Defense. So how aren't we going to do well ?? Schwartz wasn't coaching all rookies or newbies, so cruise control was a little more than his incredible skill.

chris66
01-13-2015, 08:30 AM

Rex isnt hc material either. No difference between the two. Except now Bills will probably be moving to a 3-4

Night Train
01-13-2015, 08:31 AM

You point out Ryans losing record, yet Schwartz was 29-51 as a HC in Detroit.

He's a good coordinator and left on his own. Bills are hardly in dire straights on Defense.

We certainly didn't OWE him the HC position. Good God.

Mahdi
01-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Feels any future D success would be attributed to Rex. Wow.

Although Ryan’s coaching background is rooted in defense and his scheme
differs from Schwartz’s, Ryan is fine with allowing Schwartz to continue to run
the defense that ranked as one of the NFL’s best last season, the source said.
The main issue apparently is Schwartz’s potential discomfort over the likelihood
that any defensive success the Bills have will be credited more to Ryan.

Makes sense for Schwartz to feel that way if he wants to advance his career. He would be sitting in the shadows all year...

trapezeus
01-13-2015, 08:46 AM

if the bills defense won games and were overacheivers, i'd say the loss of the DC was terrible. the bills have had 2 in 2 years and were good both years. they got more LB talent last year. The first yr, pettine brought rex' style of d to the team. i think it makes sense to think rex can seemlessly work with a front line that had arguably 4 all stars (and truthfully 3).

the offensive side got a guy who has a lot of respect for changing schemes to the people he has fit. he got alex smith back on track. changed the offensive quickly for kaepernick. When EJ threw about 20-30 passes a game he won all but 2 games (5-2). When he threw 30+, he only won 1 game (1-6). Guess what brilliant coaching staff looked at that and asked him to throw more and more?

If the bills put emphasis on getting lineman and one more RB if Spiller goes, sky is the limit for the offense. they could have a 4 back rotation with good line play, ej or whatever qb we have is going to throw on a limited basis in situations where he has the match up.

it seems different than years prior where we just brought someone in and said, "we need 3 years to re-draft guys to fit the new coaching system". That doesn't seem to be the case this time around. it might not work, but it doesn't seem like business as usual.

djjimkelly
01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
whoever he signs with, hopefully he isn't carried across the RWS field next year.

Schwartz has also coached two teams with incredible taleent up front on the front 4. that oakland game left me amazed at how porous the team was without an allstar. made me think he's not so much the brains we thought he'd be.

Rex i think has more history of making average defenses better and good ones great.

schwarz had alot of success with the titans under jeff fisher also. maybe hes just a guy that needs to be a DC forever i wish him luck if not for him the bills would have been unwatchable last season

that being said while this is a loss. rex ryan has just as good if not better of a defensive mind the bills will be fine

Ed
01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
I would have liked to see Schwartz stay, but Rex Ryan was the only candidate that made me not concerned if he left. I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about our D under Ryan. I feel like most people around the NFL would consider Ryan to be the better defensive coach than Schwartz.

Either way, I think this was always just a stepping stone for Schwartz to get another HC opportunity. And I never believed that if we had hired one of the up and coming OC's to be a first time head coach that Schwartz would have been content to stay and work under them.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2015, 09:59 AM
What does everyone not understand - Rex is basically going to run our defense with his schemes. Also part of the reason Schwartz left, he has his own schemes that he wouldn't be running anymore.

Yeah, Rex's key strength is that he is excellent at running a defense. Why in the world would we want him to give that up?

If you're not hiring Ryan to run the D, you shouldn't have hired Ryan in the first place. Schwartz knew that, which is why he left.

jamze132
01-13-2015, 10:02 AM
When you look at the talent on our defense which consists of the NFLs best D-line and some very good, young LBs, it doesn't take a genius to realize that coaches can be switched out and the players are still going to make plays. Yeah, certain players aren't always the best fits in certain schemes, but the basics of getting after the football does not change. We're fine.

better days
01-13-2015, 10:04 AM
if the bills defense won games and were overacheivers, i'd say the loss of the DC was terrible. the bills have had 2 in 2 years and were good both years. they got more LB talent last year. The first yr, pettine brought rex' style of d to the team. i think it makes sense to think rex can seemlessly work with a front line that had arguably 4 all stars (and truthfully 3).

the offensive side got a guy who has a lot of respect for changing schemes to the people he has fit. he got alex smith back on track. changed the offensive quickly for kaepernick. When EJ threw about 20-30 passes a game he won all but 2 games (5-2). When he threw 30+, he only won 1 game (1-6). Guess what brilliant coaching staff looked at that and asked him to throw more and more?

If the bills put emphasis on getting lineman and one more RB if Spiller goes, sky is the limit for the offense. they could have a 4 back rotation with good line play, ej or whatever qb we have is going to throw on a limited basis in situations where he has the match up.

it seems different than years prior where we just brought someone in and said, "we need 3 years to re-draft guys to fit the new coaching system". That doesn't seem to be the case this time around. it might not work, but it doesn't seem like business as usual.

And DB's are a big part of Rex's system.

He has not had the kind of talent he will have in Buffalo since Revis left the Jets, actually before Revis left as he was injured.

Mace
01-13-2015, 10:25 AM
There isn't anything to blame Schwartz about, no way a Ryan/Schwartz marriage could work. No way at all.

Disturbs me that they're again having to mess with a strength along with the weaknesses, but Schwartz had to go to give Ryan his best chance and make use of his major strength, his defensive knowledge.

Had Ryan not been able to use his defense, it would have meant we hired him as a motivational speaker and media star, which would have been stupid.

Funny part is, if they really did want to keep Schwartz, they did just that and by working out worse it turned out better,

trapezeus
01-13-2015, 10:32 AM
additionally, i think schwartz had very little to gain by staying. look at roman. 2 years ago he was a hot HC option that missed out because his team went to the superbowl. the next year the team regressed and he didn't get a HC opportunity.

Schwartz has little upside in staying. if they aren't #1 next year, he might not be considered HC option. if he leaves now, he has "top rated defense" that makes a team like atlanta curious about him.

DraftBoy
01-13-2015, 10:39 AM

It's ridiculous speculation to say Rex Ryan makes no sense for the Bills simply because they had an elite D last year.

Mace
01-13-2015, 10:52 AM
It's ridiculous speculation to say Rex Ryan makes no sense for the Bills simply because they had an elite D last year.

Be honest. When you're primarily making a change to your best strength and not your weakness, it's not ridiculous it all, it makes perfect sense.

That has nothing to do with people involved, but as a problem solving method, it's ridiculous to only go after the problem as a smaller focus.

Doesn't mean it can't work, but it's silly not to recognize the obvious.

WagonCircler
01-13-2015, 10:56 AM
It's hilarious how short people's memories are.

Roughly 365 days ago, everyone was in a panic over the departure of Mike Pettine--"Oh nooooooeeeesssss! What will we do????"

Then, more consternation over the hiring of--gasp--a 4-3 Coordinator--"WFT???? How can we totally change the Defense??????"

Relax.

Here's a news flash: The Bills' Defensive Coordinator is Rex Ryan. He will have badasses to work with on the DL and at LB, and a damn good secondary.

The Defense will be fine.

The Offense has no QB. Worry about that.

psubills62
01-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Makes sense for Schwartz to feel that way if he wants to advance his career. He would be sitting in the shadows all year...
After all, Pettine actively moved out of Ryan's shadow to build his own D. Why wouldn't Schwartz want to do the same?

doug45
01-13-2015, 11:26 AM

YES HE SHOULD !!!

doug45
01-13-2015, 11:31 AM
ANY coach that is hired has the right to bring in his own guys.

That is the problem...his guys did not do well with the JETS.

doug45
01-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Here's a news flash: The Bills' Defensive Coordinator is Rex Ryan. He will have badasses to work with on the DL and at LB, and a damn good secondary.

This is the problem we did not need help on the Defense, it was in good hands. We needed help on the Offense and we did not get it and with no QB and No top draft pick we will not.

better days
01-13-2015, 01:47 PM
This is the problem we did not need help on the Defense, it was in good hands. We needed help on the Offense and we did not get it and with no QB and No top draft pick we will not.

Yeah, we did get help on offense.

Roman is much better than Marrone & Hackett.

And as good as Schwartz is, Rex is BETTER.

Saratoga Slim
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM
It's hilarious how short people's memories are.

Roughly 365 days ago, everyone was in a panic over the departure of Mike Pettine--"Oh nooooooeeeesssss! What will we do????"

Then, more consternation over the hiring of--gasp--a 4-3 Coordinator--"WFT???? How can we totally change the Defense??????"

Relax.

Exactly. We just hired the #1 or #2 defensive mind in football to coach our ultra-talented defense. It's going to remain naughty.

The only reason I've heard for hiring Schwartz as HC is defensive continuity, whereas I've heard a lot of other good reasons for Rex (charisma + motivational ability, free agents want to play for him, national stature means more publicity for the Bills etc). To me that's easy math: if the defense is going to be scary good either way, hire the guy who brings something else to the table as well

sudzy
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Here's a thought on Schwartz: His last season in Detroit has horrible. So, he comes to Buffalo and has a top 5 defense with 0 help from his offense. That looks good on his resume, but, he's only one season removed from that bad HC year. OK, so put together back to back top 5 defenses and then next year teams are throwing around your name a lot more. So where does he have the best chance of doing that? Buffalo. Swallow your pride, come back to Buffalo. Ryan and Schwartz are two of the best defensive minds in the game. I would love to see the stuff that they could come up with together.

jpdex12
01-13-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't fault Schwartz or think he's wrong for saying this or feeling this way. If they have a great D again this year then people will say Rex was a good reason for it and it takes away from Schwartz's rep. If his rep is diminished then the likelihood of him getting another HC opportunity is less. He doesn't want interference for padding his resume for this next opportunity. JMO. Look or him to land with a HC that is offensive minded.

Strongman
01-13-2015, 02:15 PM
There's little doubt that Schwartz is a very good DC, but I do wonder how much of this team's improvement is attributable to him or simply due to better play from our LBs.

stuckincincy
01-13-2015, 02:30 PM
There's little doubt that Schwartz is a very good DC, but I do wonder how much of this team's improvement is attributable to him or simply due to better play from our LBs.

Good point.

Downinfloflo
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
The fans should get together and carry him to the airport.

Albany,n.y.
01-13-2015, 03:07 PM

That's why Rex signed a 5 year contract & not a 1 year contract. Rosters change. In 5 years we may have the best offense in the NFL & be going for our 3rd straight Super Bowl win & nobody will care that there was no viable QB the day Rex signed on.

better days
01-13-2015, 03:39 PM
I don't fault Schwartz or think he's wrong for saying this or feeling this way. If they have a great D again this year then people will say Rex was a good reason for it and it takes away from Schwartz's rep. If his rep is diminished then the likelihood of him getting another HC opportunity is less. He doesn't want interference for padding his resume for this next opportunity. JMO. Look or him to land with a HC that is offensive minded.

Well, Schwartz has last season to point to & Pettine didn't seem to suffer from being Rex's DC.