• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Discussing differences between Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz defensive systems

It will not be a radical shift for the Bills, who ran this defense during the 2013 season under Mike Pettine, a Ryan disciple. But any time we talk about system shifts - and this, for the record, will be the Bills' fifth system shift in as many seasons on defense - there are always philosophical and personnel tweaks to consider. Let's do that this morning.

Jim Schwartz is leaving Buffalo, and Rex Ryan will be re-installing his defense for the Bills. What does that mean for the team philosophically and from a personnel standpoint?
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Discussing differences between Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz defensive systems

Already done in another thread.

Comment

• imbondz
      Democrats are people too
      • Jan 2003

it's a big deal. changing up defensive schemes every other year matters, just like a QB who has a different OC every year, like Alex Smith's first 7 years in the league. defenses / offenses need to gel, and it takes more than a year to do that, changing it up will mess with the chemistry already developed. Hopefully it will work out
      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
        it's a big deal. changing up defensive schemes every other year matters, just like a QB who has a different OC every year, like Alex Smith's first 7 years in the league. defenses / offenses need to gel, and it takes more than a year to do that, changing it up will mess with the chemistry already developed. Hopefully it will work out
        You sound like we're blowing up a playoff team, geez.

We barely squeaked above .500. Granted our defense was killer this year, it will still be killer next year because of the talent on the field, behind the lines.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post

It will not be a radical shift for the Bills, who ran this defense during the 2013 season under Mike Pettine, a Ryan disciple. But any time we talk about system shifts - and this, for the record, will be the Bills' fifth system shift in as many seasons on defense - there are always philosophical and personnel tweaks to consider. Let's do that this morning.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bill...nnie-henderson
          This is a great point that I hadn't thought of. We had Pettine just two years ago and going back to Ryan's scheme should be extremely similar. It's not like we went from a Tampa 2 to a 3-4. I'm not as worried about this as I was before.

On a related thought, if we're going from 4-3 to a 3-4, will we still need to pay big bucks to retain Hughes? With Kiko coming back and Preston Brown looking pretty good, we should have a surplus in LBs and don't need 2 DE starters full time.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
            This will be the same defense Pettine ran, it will just be run better & the Bills have better LB's than when Mike was DC.

I think the biggest difference between Schwartz & Rex is Rex will do more blitzing than Schwartz did.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

It bothers me that we keep changing defenses. Messes with your draft strategy, as the team drafts to match one scheme, then they're drafting for another. Then another, and so on. I think it was when we changed to a 3-4 under George Edwards that this really pissed me off. Had drafted a bunch of 4-3 players, then suddenly none of them fit the 3-4, and we had to draft defensive again.

At least with Ryan we will have stability on that side of the ball for a few years.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

For this year, I expect Stefan Charles to be a regular player under Rex. Dareus can play NT but that might be wasting his talent a bit as he's more dangerous to play end in 3-4. They will be drafting another NT guy since Rex is going to be here 5 years and Kyle is getting up in age.

Keith Rivers may become more useful in a 4-3 but Nigel Bradham's effectiveness will remain to be seen. I expect them to draft one more outside LB.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                  For this year, I expect Stefan Charles to be a regular player under Rex. Dareus can play NT but that might be wasting his talent a bit as he's more dangerous to play end in 3-4. They will be drafting another NT guy since Rex is going to be here 5 years and Kyle is getting up in age.

Keith Rivers may become more useful in a 4-3 but Nigel Bradham's effectiveness will remain to be seen. I expect them to draft one more outside LB.
                  I guess you are forgetting about Kiko

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

I liked Schwartz because we didn't have to blitz much and still got to the qb with just our DL.

We had a lot of coverage sacks as well because we didn't have to send a lot of db's/lbers.

I hope Rexy is not arrogant enough to simply throw away Schwartz's system. He can learn from it.
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      I guess you are forgetting about Kiko
                      I expect Kiko and Preston be the MLBs. Kiko more or less plays the same role he had under Pettine, though Preston will take on the role of the main run stopper.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

I liked Schwartz because we didn't have to blitz much and still got to the qb with just our DL.

We had a lot of coverage sacks as well because we didn't have to send a lot of db's/lbers.

I hope Rexy is not arrogant enough to simply throw away Schwartz's system. He can learn from it.
                        I agree you don't want to blitz too much.

I think that was Pettine's problem & the reason his defense was so bad against the run.

But there were times last year a little extra pressure would have made a difference.

Rex's team has only finished outside the top 10 one time in yards allowed & that year he was #11.

- - - Updated - - -

I expect Kiko and Preston be the MLBs. Kiko more or less plays the same role he had under Pettine, though Preston will take on the role of the main run stopper.
                        I guess we will see if Kiko moves outside or not, you could be right.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Don't forget. BB and Brady have Rexy's playbook.

They don't have Schwartz's yet according to my sources
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Don't forget. BB and Brady have Rexy's playbook.

They don't have Schwartz's yet according to my sources
                            Well, I have a feeling that Rex's playbook has page after page of plays with pressure on Brady by Kyle, Dareus, Mario & Kiko.

Comment

• Strongman
                              • Apr 2006

Instead of drafting an OLB, I'd love to see them bring in Pernell McPhee from the Ravens.

Comment

Working...
                              X