PDA

View Full Version : 'Fail Mary' ref suffering from PTSD, has contemplated suicide

JohnnyGold
01-13-2015, 11:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/since--fail-mary---referee-lance-easley-says-he-is-battling-ptsd-120929270.html

"It's more than two years since Easley made one of the most infamous calls in NFL history. It left him under siege from the media, both traditional and social. Players and coaches blasted him. Late-night comics mocked him. Irate fans and gamblers hammered him with crank calls and death threats. The controversy extended all the way to the presidential campaign trail with both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney addressing it.
gallery<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="0" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">.
</figure>
Today, Easley says, the man he was is gone. Perhaps only his faith remains the same. Today, everything else is up for grabs. Today, it's all a struggle."

Historian
01-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Then he should do the honorable thing and commit seppuku

bdutton
01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
It was the correct call. People need to read the rules before jumping to conclusions.

THATHURMANATOR
01-13-2015, 11:58 AM
pussy

Forward_Lateral
01-13-2015, 12:19 PM
If that guy can claim PTSD for a football call, I'm definitely gonna cash in too.

imbondz
01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
it was a terrible call! it totally ruined that monday night for me.

imbondz
01-13-2015, 01:27 PM
I was annoyed for a solid couple of hours

ParanoidAndroid
01-13-2015, 02:59 PM
It was the correct call. People need to read the rules before jumping to conclusions.

That was not a simultaneous catch. No, it wasn't the right call, although it wasn't any worse than some of the calls we have seen in just the 16 Bills games this year.

Bill Cody
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM

wrong. The league admitted it was the wrong call

BertSquirtgum
01-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Poor guy. Take some xanex and call it a day.

Ingtar33
01-13-2015, 05:51 PM

bingo.

the rule is when there is split possession the catch goes to the wr. they both had hands on the ball, and the ball never hit the ground. That's a judgement call made on the field and it was (arguably) right. Personally i think it was an int... but i had replay to help me come to that conclusion. watching it real time, the refs made a very defensible judgement call.

furthermore, the field ruling that it was split possession isn't reviewable, only a catch is. the only thing he could review is if the players came down in the field of play and the ball didn't touch the ground. once he deciphered that, the ruling on the field of a touchdown had to stand. He couldn't overturn the catch/interception/split possession with replay even if he wanted to.

BillsImpossible
01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
I think this guy needs to have a heart to heart with Scott Norwood.

Meathead
01-13-2015, 06:19 PM
definitely the right call

ParanoidAndroid
01-13-2015, 06:40 PM
bingo.

the rule is when there is split possession the catch goes to the wr. they both had hands on the ball, and the ball never hit the ground. That's a judgement call made on the field and it was (arguably) right. Personally i think it was an int... but i had replay to help me come to that conclusion. watching it real time, the refs made a very defensible judgement call.

furthermore, the field ruling that it was split possession isn't reviewable, only a catch is. the only thing he could review is if the players came down in the field of play and the ball didn't touch the ground. once he deciphered that, the ruling on the field of a touchdown had to stand. He couldn't overturn the catch/interception/split possession with replay even if he wanted to.

I'm not sure how anyone can watch that and say Jennings didn't have that ball before Tate got his hands on it. That was not a simultaneous catch and it absolutely is a reviewable call because it happened in the endzone.

Ingtar33
01-13-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure how anyone can watch that and say Jennings didn't have that ball before Tate got his hands on it. That was not a simultaneous catch and it absolutely is a reviewable call because it happened in the endzone.

the catch in bounds in reviewable. the part that isn't was the ref's judgement of a split reception. the refs on the field called it a split reception, once that happened the only thing instant replay could overturn is the catch (if the ball hit the ground or one of the two players were out of bounds)

and yes, in real time i wasn't sure if he bobbled the int, and then they both got their hands on it or not. with replay it was clear as day it was an int. unfortunately once the judgement of a "split reception" was made on the field it was a done deal.