PDA

View Full Version : Draft Cardale Jones in the 4th

buzzsaw
01-13-2015, 02:33 PM
I know how this sounds. Don't draft the guy that played 3 games and is trying to strike while the iron is hot, but did you see this kid's arm? His composure? His size and speed?

EJ was a poor mans Cardale Jones at FSU.
Jones has the Big Ben body type, the cannon arm strength, and ice blood in his veins.

The Bills have drafted worse QBs than Cardale (Trent Edwards in the 3rd). Take a flyer on the kid. It won't hurt. Rest of the team is pretty much set and a few o linemen can be had in free agency.

Let's start the Cardale to Buffalo campaign!

Jaybird
01-13-2015, 02:34 PM
He might not even enter the draft. You do know he tweeted he should need to go to classes he's there to play football

- - - Updated - - -

He might not even enter the draft. You do know he tweeted he should need to go to classes he's there to play football

Night Train
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Gutsy 1st post. Welcome.

That's my school and I'm burned out from partying last night.. but he's still a redshirt sophomore. I do think he's coming out, since he's a Dad of a 2 month old baby.

What's impressive in these 3 starts is his ability to drill the ball on the $$ in tight windows. Hits the deep ball with accuracy and the Bills will be running the ball a ton next year. Meanwhile, he's a fresh 6-5 250 lb. monster athlete who is raw as hell.

Will be interesting to see where he's projected but the Bills have to gamble on at least 1 QB in the draft. I'm biased but still...3 starts ? Recognizing NFL coverages after this small piece of work is a huge jump but he is freakish in build.

They have to find big Guards early in the draft or FA... but if he's still hanging around Sat. on draft weekend, can't blame those who wish to roll the dice.

The King
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
I'd say pull the trigger before the 4th ensure you get him.

better days
01-13-2015, 03:43 PM
I'd say pull the trigger before the 4th ensure you get him.

That would be a good idea since the Bills don't have a fourth rnd pick this year.

coastal
01-13-2015, 03:56 PM
lulz

buzzsaw
01-13-2015, 03:56 PM
That would be a good idea since the Bills don't have a fourth rnd pick this year.

The Bills traded their 4th rounder to Cleveland for Sammy but got a fourth round back from the 49ers for Stevie

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2015, 04:01 PM
The Bills traded their 4th rounder to Cleveland for Sammy but got a fourth round back from the 49ers for Stevie

Which we traded to Philly for Brown

better days
01-13-2015, 04:03 PM

Which they traded to the Eagles for Bryce Brown.

- - - Updated - - -

Which we traded to Philly for Brown

Beat me to it.

buzzsaw
01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
I was under the impression that 4th rounder to Philly was for 2016.

Chances are Cardale exceeds expectations at the combine, scores a 20 on the wonderlic, and with the limited amount of time between now and the draft he probably stays out of trouble, pushing his value to the 2nd round.

If he grades well at the draft, Whaley needs to go full Whaley and roll the dice on the kid!

DraftBoy
01-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Don't think he'll enter.

ParanoidAndroid
01-13-2015, 06:44 PM
He needs to go back to school. If he really is that good, he's a 1st rounder next year.

YardRat
01-13-2015, 06:52 PM
I don't think he'll declare either, and would rather see a larger body of work before pulling that trigger.

don137
01-13-2015, 07:45 PM
He needs to go back to school. If he really is that good, he's a 1st rounder next year.

The problem is he probably will not start next year.

Night Train
01-14-2015, 03:27 AM

You're assuming he starts.

QB J.T. Barrett was the conference player of the year who got them there before breaking his ankle in the Michigan game.

Braxton Miller has 1 year left and was the conference player of the year in 2012 and 2013. He could transfer

A little crowded and only one ball.

He's going on 23 and may be just riding the bench again... or being groomed as a future starter in the NFL with a paycheck for his family.

A unique situation where declaring himself for the draft may actually be the right decision. Normally, it wouldn't.

DraftBoy
01-14-2015, 06:05 AM

QB J.T. Barrett was the conference player of the year who got them there before breaking his ankle in the Michigan game.

Braxton Miller has 1 year left and was the conference player of the year in 2012 and 2013. He could transfer

He's going on 23 and may be just riding the bench again... or being groomed as a future starter in the NFL with a paycheck for his family.

A unique situation where declaring himself for the draft may actually be the right decision. Normally, it wouldn't.

He also could drop down a level and play immediately to put a year on tape and then go pro as a 23 year old junior who graduated (which makes him eligible to play on all the all-star bowl games).

I do kinda agree with you though, I think in his case declaring for the draft may be the best decision for him.

psubills62
01-14-2015, 07:16 AM
It's certainly an interesting situation. I think he could legitimately win the starting job at OSU. Barrett was great, but Jones did some great things with that offense.

In the end, I believe he would go reasonably high if he entered the draft. NFL teams love to overdraft QB's, and Jones has some major physical skills. Main questions IMO are mental and lack of experience. But I still think some teams will fall in love with him and one will draft him in the first couple of days (if he entered).

That said, pretty sure he'll stay.

BillsFanCupp38
01-14-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm thinking Colt McCoy. Nice game manager with experience to push ej.

pmoon6
01-14-2015, 08:03 AM
I read a blurb where Jones won't enter the draft because he's not "NFL ready" yet.

That makes me like the kid.

djjimkelly
01-14-2015, 08:31 AM
the guy has 3 starts on arguably the best college roster in the country

how about this he will be a never was in the NFL save this post and rub my face in it if different

but mr 3 start cardele jones will be a NEVER was in the nfl

whats next we should convince tebow to unretire lol

better days
01-14-2015, 08:39 AM

College players want to get into the NFL ASAP with the current CBA.

jamze132
01-14-2015, 11:40 AM
I know how this sounds. Don't draft the guy that played 3 games and is trying to strike while the iron is hot, but did you see this kid's arm? His composure? His size and speed?

Jones has the Big Ben body type, the cannon arm strength, and ice blood in his veins.

The Bills have drafted worse QBs than Cardale (Trent Edwards in the 3rd). Take a flyer on the kid. It won't hurt. Rest of the team is pretty much set and a few o linemen can be had in free agency.

Ever heard of Jamarcus Russell?

Mr. Pink
01-14-2015, 01:08 PM
If he declared, I'd take a flier on him in like the 6th round.

I'd assume his draft stock wouldn't be high because he doesn't have much of a body of work and he had two reads basically in the games I saw...primary receiver, run with the football. He needs time in a system with getting actual work.

His best bet, if Ohio State starts Miller or Barrett, is to go to another school and put up a year of work. Even if that school ends up being Division 3.

It would elevate his draft status where he'd get more money and actually a chance at sticking on a roster.

better days
01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
If he declared, I'd take a flier on him in like the 6th round.

I'd assume his draft stock wouldn't be high because he doesn't have much of a body of work and he had two reads basically in the games I saw...primary receiver, run with the football. He needs time in a system with getting actual work.

His best bet, if Ohio State starts Miller or Barrett, is to go to another school and put up a year of work. Even if that school ends up being Division 3.

It would elevate his draft status where he'd get more money and actually a chance at sticking on a roster.

I doubt he would elevate his draft stock playing at a Division 3 school enough that it would outweigh getting into the NFL a year earlier.

Mr. Pink
01-14-2015, 02:21 PM
I doubt he would elevate his draft stock playing at a Division 3 school enough that it would outweigh getting into the NFL a year earlier.

Of course it would.

If he declared now, he's a Day 3 pick. If he plays another year, anywhere even in Div 3, he might be a Day 2 pick.

As it stands now, there's no way any team can justify taking him ahead of the 5th round. He's way too raw with a very limited body of work.

jimmifli
01-14-2015, 03:46 PM
You guys are delusional. Look how players shoot up the draft boards with a good interview and combine. Once he declares his agent will have him working with a former NFL QB coach everyday. After a few weeks, word will start leaking about what a good student he is, how fast he's picking up a pro style offense and learning the playbook. Then there will be a few videos showing his improved mechanics. etc etc...

Russell Wilson had a body of work that deserved a 1st round pick. But his body deserved a 3rd. Where did he get drafted?

Jones' body deserves a 1st. He probably won't go that high but I doubt he'd last long into the 3rd round if he made it that far.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-14-2015, 04:08 PM
I can't imagine drafting anybody before day 3 based on three games. Three games!

buzzsaw
01-15-2015, 11:51 AM
@CJ12_: Life changing decision at 3pm 😁

And it begins.

Cardale would have won those games against Houston and KC.

I hope he's wearing a Mack Truck hat when he does his announcement.

WagonCircler
01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I think he'll make a great fullback.

better days
01-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Ever heard of Jamarcus Russell?

Are you saying Cardale likes the purple drank?

better days
01-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Of course it would.

If he declared now, he's a Day 3 pick. If he plays another year, anywhere even in Div 3, he might be a Day 2 pick.

As it stands now, there's no way any team can justify taking him ahead of the 5th round. He's way too raw with a very limited body of work.

Even if he were a day two pick next year vs day three this year, that would not make up for the year he would lose in NFL seniority.

And he would not learn or improve at all playing DIII football.

WagonCircler
01-15-2015, 01:22 PM
My greatest fear in keeping Doug Whaley is going to come true.

He is exactly stupid enough to draft Cardale Jones.

better days
01-15-2015, 01:24 PM

You can't hit the jackpot unless you play.

The Pats* draft a questionable/project QB on a regular basis.

Ed
01-15-2015, 01:25 PM
I don't think Meyer can guarantee him that he'll be the starter next year, and if he's not the starter he may as well sit on an NFL bench than Ohio States bench. At least he can make some good money and start learning about the NFL. At 22 years old already, I don't see any advantage for him spending another year as a backup in college.

Ed
01-15-2015, 01:27 PM
And if he does declare for the draft, I don't give him much chance of making it to the 4th.

WagonCircler
01-15-2015, 02:17 PM
You can't hit the jackpot unless you play.

The Pats* draft a questionable/project QB on a regular basis.

You stand an infinitely better chance of hitting the jackpot when you play smart odds and avoid stupid bets.

And even more when you learn from your mistakes and don't keep making the same one over and over again.

wolfpack
01-15-2015, 02:36 PM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/amorbach/cjosu_zps1f40c4aa.jpg

Night Train
01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
WooHoo ! He's staying.

Buckeyes remain loaded.

Ed
01-15-2015, 02:44 PM
With the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the NY Jets select...

DraftBoy
01-15-2015, 03:46 PM
WooHoo ! He's staying.

Buckeyes remain loaded.

He's not declaring, we'll need to wait till after Spring Ball to see if he's actually staying.

SaviorEdwards
01-15-2015, 03:54 PM
He's staying...two big winners are Ohio State and the Ginn Academy.

Night Train
01-15-2015, 06:27 PM
He's not declaring, we'll need to wait till after Spring Ball to see if he's actually staying.

Here's the latest.

Miller is looking around for another program.

Barrett had a bad break and there are concerns he may not be ready for the opener with a longer than expected rehab.

Jones could indeed be starting the beginning of the year and if he's playing well, Urban will not yank him.

DraftBoy
01-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Here's the latest.

Miller is looking around for another program.

Barrett had a bad break and there are concerns he may not be ready for the opener with a longer than expected rehab.

Jones could indeed be starting the beginning of the year and if he's playing well, Urban will not yank him.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the off season is all I'm saying. Miller and Golson transferring should make for some fun stories.

Albany,n.y.
04-30-2016, 06:30 PM

You nailed it 15 months ago. Way to go, you even got the right round.

SaviorEdwards
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
I'd feel better with Cardale if we had Devin Smith.

ParanoidAndroid
04-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Just off by one year and a few more quality starts. He had his chance to improve his draft stock on a good offense with a strong running game and wasn't impressive.

Mike
05-01-2016, 10:19 PM

Doug definetly has a prototype he likes for QB and that prototype appears to be: Very Physically Gifted Athletes.

I think he's undervalue the most important aspects of the position.

Oaf
05-02-2016, 02:07 AM
I still say if he declares, we'll take a flier in the 4th or 5th on him.

swiper
05-02-2016, 03:14 AM
Doug definetly has a prototype he likes for QB and that prototype appears to be: Very Physically Gifted Athletes.

I think he's undervalue the most important aspects of the position.

Intelligence?

YardRat
05-02-2016, 04:54 AM

Ummm...yeah....I think we will too.

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2016, 05:23 AM

They already drafted him......

Dr. Who
05-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Ummm...yeah....I think we will too.

I'm on it. Oaf is obviously trapped in 2015. Little adjustment to the TARDIS and we'll have him current in a jiffy.