PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Ryan: Rex got a raw deal and will coach Bills with a vengeance

DraftBoy
01-13-2015, 07:00 PM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/13/buddy-ryan-rex-got-raw-deal-jets-will-coach-buffalo-vengeance/

He's a chip off the old block, and he'll have a chip on his shoulder.

Rex Ryan comes to the Buffalo Bills with the need to prove something.

That's how his old man used to roll, too. Buddy Ryan was fired as a head coach twice. The Philadelphia Eagles axed him after three straight playoff seasons.

"They made a big mistake in my case," Buddy Ryan said Tuesday from his home in Shelbyville, Ky. "I won the division and still got fired.

"And it was a shame that Rex got fired. It was very disappointing because it didn't reflect how well he really did."

The New York Jets dumped Rex Ryan after a tumultuous few seasons. He guided the Jets to consecutive AFC title games in his first two seasons, but they failed to reach the playoffs four years in a row.

YardRat
01-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, hopefully he has the ability to take it out on every opponent, not just the Jets.

Topas
01-14-2015, 04:41 AM
After seeing "A football life: Houston 1993" on NFL network I am convinced that Buddy Ryan is an idiot. He singlehandly destroyed their season because his ego was more important than the team. I have some sympathy for hitting Gilbride in general, but Buddy is really in a class of his own with regard to idiocy. Sorry, thats my opinion.

That being said, I like the Rex hiring and I wish him the best. I also like that Rex was willing to keep Schwartz and let him do his thing. That says to me that Rex is about success and not about Rex. Given the reports are true and this is not just words, which could very well be.

Anyway it will be interesting. And compared to Jauron and other non-emotional guys this is a welcome change for me. I just hope Rex is not too similar to his Dad...

swiper
01-14-2015, 04:51 AM
Buddy Ryan WAS an idiot. That's well known. His kids are chips off that block.

I want a coach who actually coaches, not one who coaches through pep talks with millionaire players.

casdhf
01-14-2015, 07:36 AM
You underrate pep talks. Marv used them to four straight AFC titles. I suppose I could live with the same success from Rex.

djjimkelly
01-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Buddy Ryan WAS an idiot. That's well known. His kids are chips off that block.

I want a coach who actually coaches, not one who coaches through pep talks with millionaire players.

ive seen you post some questionable posts. but lol this one is the best "buddy dont know football " LMAO lol

Historian
01-14-2015, 08:01 AM
I always felt that if that great Bills team had a little more swagger, (ala Ryan) and a little less humility (ala Marv) that perhaps they would have won a Super Bowl....maybe a couple.

I once called into Marv's show after a loss to the Colts, who were terrible at the time.

I asked him, "Coach, don't you tell the players, hey, it's the Colts, you should kick their butts this week?"

He replied, "Absolutely not. The difference between our team and theirs is very small...anybody can beat anybody, etc...etc..."

And while I generally agree with Marv's approach, (he could be fiery when he wanted to) I always thought those Bills teams were not aggressive enough on defense, in design or play.

It's a fine line, and I'm not sure where you draw it.

pmoon6
01-14-2015, 08:09 AM
I always felt that if that great Bills team had a little more swagger, (ala Ryan) and a little less humility (ala Marv) that perhaps they would have won a Super Bowl....maybe a couple.

I once called into Marv's show after a loss to the Colts, who were terrible at the time.

I asked him, "Coach, don't you tell the players, hey, it's the Colts, you should kick their butts this week?"

He replied, "Absolutely not. The difference between our team and theirs is very small...anybody can beat anybody, etc...etc..."

And while I generally agree with Marv's approach, (he could be fiery when he wanted to) I always thought those Bills teams were not aggressive enough on defense, in design or play.

It's a fine line, and I'm not sure where you draw it.That was my problem with Levy. He was a classy guy, but when another team starts punching you in the face like the Stealers or the Redskins in the Super Bowl, you got to hit them back. We basically took it and held our heads high because we played fair. Sometimes in a dogfight, ya gotta get down in the mud and match them blow for blow. May not be right, certainly not classy, but that's the way it is in football and in life.

Typ0
01-14-2015, 08:40 AM
If they had humility they would not have gone out and gotten loaded before every game.

It's a fine line, and I'm not sure where you draw it.

Historian
01-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Oh come on Keith, that's just silly.

I will grant you that those guys were partiers, but Levy used to quarantine them to the Sheraton on Walden Ave the night before a Sunday game.

I believe lights out was 11

justasportsfan
01-14-2015, 09:04 AM

If reports were true that they partied the night before the SB, that would be arrogance and not humility

pmoon6
01-14-2015, 09:05 AM
Oh come on Keith, that's just silly.

I will grant you that those guys were partiers, but Levy used to quarantine them to the Sheraton on Walden Ave the night before a Sunday game.

I believe lights out was 11Fans have to blame something when they don't get their vicarious thrill from their team winning.

Personally, I think we were weak in the middle from lack of a true nose guard Jeff Wright was built to play DT, not NT. Teams exposed us as weak against the run in the Super Bowls, especially when Conlan went down with a Knee against Denver in '90. He was never the same player IMO. One of the reasons I hate Denver. Clarence Kay cut him from the blindside.

CommissarSpartacus
01-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Nice to see an old man support his son. Warms my heart but doesn't make me any more confident in Rexy's talents...