Is Russ really out of the football side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Is Russ really out of the football side?

I know it was reported that Brandon was a Shanahan supporter and nothing has been said yet regarding a Russ/Rex connection, but there were basically two guys available that would make a public 'splash' with not just the fan base, but around the league's media circus also.

I've got an itchy feeling Brandon still has some of Peg's ear when it comes to football decisions after this hire.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Is Russ really out of the football side?

If he wanted Shanny bad, as was reported, the hiring of Rex seems to indicate he's been silenced on the football side.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Mitchmurraydowntown hacked a mods account?

Comment

• GreedoII
        • Aug 2007

Can they just fire Russ Brandon already and be done with it??

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

I think he still has a voice on certain matter (like a HC or GM), but I don't think he has a vote. He's free to lobby the owners just as Whaley is and being Team President he gets to sit in on those meetings, but I think his influence is severely weakened.

Also I think you're reading too much into this hire from a PR standpoint. Remember Pegula is a businessman first, a very successful one, and you don't make billions of dollars in business (especially in some of his industries) without understand our the press and PR plays with the public. He knows he wants a new stadium, he knows he needs to generate excitement both locally, regionally, and nationally.

Now is that to say Ryan wasn't the best hire? Not necessarily, but I would understand the idea that he wanted a known name guy before an up and comer due to the PR end of it if that all came out.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Just my opinion but there's a Mexican standoff going on.

on one side is the new multi-billionaire owner who has brought in a really good football coach who can chew up smarmy little ass lickers like Brandon for lunch and on the other is Russ Brandon who is likely sitting on an 8 figure golden parachute.

I don't care how much money Brandon has... I'm sure he doesn't want to pay that slippery little **** a dime of that money. All Pegs has to do is put Brandon in a box... minimize his real ability to lead in any significant way and hope Brandon's ego gets the best of him and he walks for other opportunities. All Brandon has to do is sit there and collect a paycheck with zero ***s given.

Unless something changes soon, it looks like Marrone has been blackballed. It wouldn't surprise me if Brandon hasn't been too.

This could go on for awhile unless Pegs is willing to write that check.
            Last edited by coastal; 01-14-2015, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              Just my opinion but there's a Mexican standoff going on.

on one side is the new multi-billionaire owner who has brought in a really good football coach who can chew up smarmy little ass lickers like Brandon for lunch and on the other is Russ Brandon who is likely sitting on an 8 figure golden parachute.

I don't care how much money Brandon has... I'm sure he doesn't want to pay that slippery little **** a dime of that money. All Pegs has to do is put Brandon in a box... minimize his real ability to lead in any significant way and hope Brandon's ego gets the best of him and he walks for other opportunities. All Brandon has to do is sit there and collect a paycheck with zero ***s given.

Unless something changes soon, it looks like Marrone has been blackballed. It wouldn't surprise me if Brandon hasn't been too.

This could go on for awhile unless Pegs is willing to write that check.
              I'm not sure why Russ would be black balled, by all reports he's well liked by both the Pegula's and they want him to stick around.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• Buddo
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                I think he still has a voice on certain matter (like a HC or GM), but I don't think he has a vote. He's free to lobby the owners just as Whaley is and being Team President he gets to sit in on those meetings, but I think his influence is severely weakened.

Also I think you're reading too much into this hire from a PR standpoint. Remember Pegula is a businessman first, a very successful one, and you don't make billions of dollars in business (especially in some of his industries) without understand our the press and PR plays with the public. He knows he wants a new stadium, he knows he needs to generate excitement both locally, regionally, and nationally.

Now is that to say Ryan wasn't the best hire? Not necessarily, but I would understand the idea that he wanted a known name guy before an up and comer due to the PR end of it if that all came out.
                This is sensible. Brandon would have been someone to consult with during the process of the GM search, as he's been involved in one before. Similarly Whaley. From there though, I think he's largely done with the football side of things, unless there's something that the Pegulas think he can give advise on, maybe stuff to do with courting FAs for example.

As regards the Ryan hire, I don't think the element of PR truly comes into it. What I do think makes a difference, is Ryan's personality. He can't help but be a 'straight shooter', and I think as a first hire, that is something that the Pegulas will appreciate, and possibly looked for, particularly as he is an experienced football coach as well. If the Pegulas are seeing much in the way of people trying to keep influence, then having a guy as HC who doesn't give a sh1t about that sort of thing, is no bad thing.

Fwiw, it seems as though the current 'power structure' of the football side of things, being favoured around the league, is HC controls the team selection, and reports to Owner. GM controls the roster, and reports to Owner.

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

I'm not sure why Russ would be black balled, by all reports he's well liked by both the Pegula's and they want him to stick around.
                  That's what they're saying publicly. Think about it... these are hardcore business people used to dealing with all sorts who may be looking to take advantage of them. Real business people don't take people like this head on. There's no cost benefit in doing so. The age old adage applies... there's more than one way to skin a sniveling little weasel.

Russ handed Marrone $4 million of their money... for nothing. It wasn't good contract negotiating. It wasn't a business standard. At the time it was inked, it was handing his Syracuse buddy an option to wak away from his job without recourse and with $4 million of a new owners money. Russ basically handed him a percentage share of the sale.

All of the questionable personality reports that have come out about Marrone are a side story IMO. its just noise. There's all sorts of questionable personalities in the NFL... our new coach included.

Money is at the root of all of it and Brandon stole for his buddy. It's reasonable to assume he's done so for himself too.
                  Last edited by coastal; 01-14-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

God we can only hope!

The day he's ****-canned, there will be a kegger at my house.

Consider yourselves all personally invited!

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

People hate Russ for some reason. The guy has done well on the business side and made the bills viable in the buffalo area, if anything bills fans should thank the guy. Now like Tannenbaum he has no need to be involved in football decisions, but I like him involved on the business side and due to him being around for the past almost 2 decades he does have valuable lessons learned that can be very helpful and should not be ignored.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                        That's what they're saying publicly. Think about it... these are hardcore business people used to dealing with all sorts who may be looking to take advantage of them. Real business people don't take people like this head on. There's no cost benefit in doing so. The age old adage applies... there's more than one way to skin a sniveling little weasel.

Russ handed Marrone $4 million of their money... for nothing. It wasn't good contract negotiating. It wasn't a business standard. At the time it was inked, it was handing his Syracuse buddy an option to wak away from his job without recourse and with $4 million of a new owners money. Russ basically handed him a percentage share of the sale.

All of the questionable personality reports that have come out about Marrone are a side story IMO. its just noise. There's all sorts of questionable personalities in the NFL... our new coach included.

Money is at the root of all of it and Brandon stole for his buddy. It's reasonable to assume he's done so for himself too.
                        No disagreement, but you're basing your opinion more off what you hope is happening than off anything tangible. Even with the interest from the Raiders, Brandon never engaged with them and shortly after that Pegula went to the BN and said how much he liked Brandon and wanted to keep him around on the business end.

I just don't see anything to go along with this.

Agreed the Marrone clause was pure stupidity, even if it was only 0.003% of the sales price as I've heard others use as a defense.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Strongman
                          • Apr 2006

If Brandon and Overdorf are sitting in the Bills' War Room for the draft, it might be a red flag that nothing has really changed.

I found this article interesting as it shows how other War Room operate.
                          At team headquarters across the NFL, the draft means waiting, working through the chaos, waiting some more and trusting The Board

It looks quite a bit different than the one the Bills seem to use in 2014.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Brandon is/was all about getting his mug into the spotlight for facetime. Now, if he hangs on to Rex Ryans belt, the most gratification he'll get will be in being mistaken for Ryan's man purse in photo ops.

I still think they shuffle him into the FO back rooms after this, because I hope and pray Pegulas are smart enough to yet hire a better driving force than him or Whaley.

Of course, since they put the cart before the horse, it now has to be someone Ryan likes. May as well be, what's done is done and they might as well finish going all in, but I don't think it will be Brandon, who will be reduced to jumping up and down waving at photo ops behind Ryan.

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

No disagreement, but you're basing your opinion more off what you hope is happening than off anything tangible. Even with the interest from the Raiders, Brandon never engaged with them and shortly after that Pegula went to the BN and said how much he liked Brandon and wanted to keep him around on the business end.

I just don't see anything to go along with this.

Agreed the Marrone clause was pure stupidity, even if it was only 0.003% of the sales price as I've heard others use as a defense.
                              i know this is all conjecture on my part but it also isn't without substance.

the very first thing the Pegula's did when they became owners was remove Russ from the football side.

thats telling.

they clipped his wings immediately and then squashed questions by complimenting him. That is how good business people go about dealing with roosters in the hen house.

if there is a doozy of a buyout in place for Russ... my supposition makes 100% sense.

your supposition that he's just a good business man and that's what he's going to focus on... weak IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X