PDA

View Full Version : One thing I can tell you about the switch at HC

K-Gun
01-14-2015, 12:33 PM
You know, and I've said this before, obviously, that the one thing you can believe, and you know like we talked about just yesterday,
is that Rex Ryan is a hell of a lot more, you know, um... Let me say this, because this is very important, all right? And learning to listen is very important, obviously.
But obviously, gosh, let me tell ya, Rex Ryan is a hell of a lot more, um, articulate and, um, professional than, um, I'm sorry, gees, what was his name again? um. obviously.

coastal
01-14-2015, 12:40 PM
What a smash!

Mr. Miyagi
01-14-2015, 12:55 PM
You know, and I've said this before, obviously, that the one thing you can believe, and you know like we talked about just yesterday,
is that Rex Ryan is a hell of a lot more, you know, um... Let me say this, because this is very important, all right? And learning to listen is very important, obviously.
But obviously, gosh, let me tell ya, Rex Ryan is a hell of a lot more, um, articulate and, um, professional than, um, I'm sorry, gees, what was his name again? um. obviously.
I'm having a really hard time following what you're saying at all. What now? Are you saying Rex talks broken like that? I didn't see it.

OLDSRIP
01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Obviously!

notacon
01-14-2015, 01:21 PM
I've asked this before on another thread. What does being articulate with the press have to do with being an effective coach in the NFL?

Dr. Who
01-14-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm having a really hard time following what you're saying at all. What now? Are you saying Rex talks broken like that? I didn't see it.

He's mimicking the recently departed saint.

- - - Updated - - -

I've asked this before on another thread. What does being articulate with the press have to do with being an effective coach in the NFL?

Perhaps not much, but being articulate and inspiring is a significant leadership quality, don't you think?

jimmifli
01-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Someone that sounds like an idiot speaking to the press probably sounds like an idiot speaking to the team.

I'd imagine a team that thinks their coach is an idiot is bad for morale and performance. But once a coach passes the "not sounding like an idiot" line, I doubt it has much to do with being an effective coach.

notacon
01-14-2015, 01:31 PM

I just listened to the video provide of parts of the presser.

I have no idea what you referring to. Rex came off as being very articulate.

I speak in front of crowds for a living. It's not as easy as most think, especially those that have not done it.

Anyway....this is a spam thread!

Downinfloflo
01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
He's mimicking the recently departed saint.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps not much, but being articulate and inspiring is a significant leadership quality, don't you think?

On Wall Street sure, But not on a football field where you are trying to knock someones soul out of their body.

notacon
01-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Someone that sounds like an idiot speaking to the press probably sounds like an idiot speaking to the team.

I'd imagine a team that thinks their coach is an idiot is bad for morale and performance. But once a coach passes the "not sounding like an idiot" line, I doubt it has much to do with being an effective coach.

He didn't sound like an idiot.

Some of the best managers in the world cannot put together two words when they get in front of a crowd.

Your observation is false. Being "articulate" for the press has nothing whatsoever to do with being an effective and successful coach in the NFL.

Look at Belichick. He talks like he has marbles in his mouth when he talks to the press. A terrible, terrible speaker. He is probably one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL.

notacon
01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
This is not an "inarticulate" man....

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Rex-Ryans-Guarantee/db1b721f-3891-48fa-be31-e64f437faf47

justasportsfan
01-14-2015, 01:40 PM

He's saying all the right things because he's still in honeymoon stage.

K-Gun
01-14-2015, 02:24 PM
This is not an "inarticulate" man....

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Rex-Ryans-Guarantee/db1b721f-3891-48fa-be31-e64f437faf47

Um, you know, obviously you haven't, ya know, and I was going to mention this earlier, ya know. But one thing I want to say, was, obviously, I wasn't, ya know, obviously.

Historian
01-14-2015, 02:31 PM
"Uhh,I love these guys....and I love this game....and"

Typ0
01-14-2015, 02:57 PM
I have a really tough time getting on board with anyone bashing the morale of the team this past season. That is just wrong. Discipline perhaps but not their morale ...

Typ0
01-14-2015, 02:59 PM

It's a big part of the job actually. And if they manage the press poorly it can hurt the team.

notacon
01-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Um, you know, obviously you haven't, ya know, and I was going to mention this earlier, ya know. But one thing I want to say, was, obviously, I wasn't, ya know, obviously.

I bet a dime to a dollar that if you were ever put in a public speaking situation, you would pee your pants and sound 1,000 times worse than Rex.

If you listen to him talking in the link I presented...and then still write what you did...it shows that you are being very dishonest.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a big part of the job actually. And if they manage the press poorly it can hurt the team.

No, it can't. Again....look at Belichick. He "manages" the press in a very ham handed way. I do not agree with you at all.

In any event, it seems that Rex Ryan can "handle" the press just fine. In fact, Buffalo's press after working in NYC for all those years will seem like a cakewalk.

K-Gun
01-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I bet a dime to a dollar that if you were ever put in a public speaking situation, you would pee your pants and sound 1,000 times worse than Rex.

If you listen to him talking in the link I presented...and then still write what you did...it shows that you are being very dishonest.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it can't. Again....look at Belichick. He "manages" the press in a very ham handed way. I do not agree with you at all.

The one thing I want to tell you, ok, and we talked about this. But the one thing I want to make absolutely clear, and make no mistake, um.

notacon
01-14-2015, 03:43 PM
The one thing I want to tell you, ok, and we talked about this. But the one thing I want to make absolutely clear, and make no mistake, um.

Do you feel the pee trickling down your leg?

YardRat
01-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Public speaking is all about confidence, and to a certain extent, control.

DesertFox24
01-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Do you feel the pee trickling down your leg?

He is talking about Marrone not Rex people. He is taking things Rex said and saying them like Marrone would. RELAX RELAX

notacon
01-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Public speaking is all about confidence, and to a certain extent, control.

Correct. Have you done public speaking?

notacon
01-14-2015, 06:15 PM
He is talking about Marrone not Rex people. He is taking things Rex said and saying them like Marrone would. RELAX RELAX

That was not very clear. And, I don't care who he is dissing. People that do that usually have zero experience speaking to the press or to a crowd, and would do 1,000 times worse if put into that position. It's boorish. And this thread is boorish.

YardRat
01-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Correct. Have you done public speaking?

Yeah, I have a little bit of experience.

notacon
01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I have a little bit of experience.

Cool.

I started in 8th grade. I was in a speaking contest. Had to go in front of the whole school, on the stage, house lights up, no podium, no microphone.

It was terrifying.

Now, I've spoken thousands of times in front of groups, ranging from a handful to several hundred. I always love watching other speakers...can never learn enough.

trapezeus
01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
On Wall Street sure, But not on a football field where you are trying to knock someones soul out of their body.

9 games into a season when people feel hurt and don't have much in the tank, saying the right thing succinctly can get people to go the extra mile. especially when you feel like the coach knows what you want, has been there before and is saying this to you because he wants to push the team forward.