• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

How do you not love what Roman did in SF

2010 Pre Roman, 6-10. Same exact offensive players

Romans first year for the 49ers made Alex Smith, former top 49ers bust of all time, lead the team to a 13-3 record and revived his career. Same year invented a playbook just for Kap to develop him

Next year Smith leads team to playoffs but gets injured. Kap comes in and takes team to superbowl. Averaged 23 Tds, 8 hints. 3500 yes. 65 completion

2013 Kaps first year as starter. One pass away from 2nd superbowl on controversial play. 21 tds, 8 ints, 3200 yes. 58 completion.

2014 only bad Roman year. Players had givin up on the season and Harbough. 3400 yards 19-10 Td-Int. 60 cpt. Kaep was told to run only when he had to and all option plays were seemingly takin out. It was an attempt to make Kap a complete QB that failed, I can't fault Roman on this. I'm sure he will learn to stick with what works this time
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: How do you not love what Roman did in SF

I'm OK with Roman.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jimmifli
      • Nov 2006

2nd in rushing yards and 1 st in turnovers over his tenure.

9er fans complained about his inability to generate an effective passing game. I guess that's a fair criticism, but with a solid D, a good Oline, Frank Gore... and Kaep at QB... that just sounds like smart football. It's essentially a 2015 version of Martyball. Which is exactly what we need.

I still think I'd have prefered Schwartz, but I'm not sure who he'd bring in as OC. Rex got this one perfect.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Ok but what does Smith or Kap have to do with EJ? Or can Roman turn water into wine?

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

I am not worried about Roman, I am more worried about if our OL can do what he wants. Granted the good thing is he is not asking our big OL to zone block like good ole Marrone was. Maybe there is some talent there. Now everyone wants to cast away Richardson and Cyrus but I am not ready to do that, that being said I still bring in one vet Guard and OT since Hairston is probably gone and we need 4 (even if Cyrus is the third we need competition). With Roman I want to see his passing offense principles and I hope it is better, I don't mind the yardage being lower but I want to be middle of the pack yard per play.

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

For the record I am a huge fan of ground and pound and defensive football. That being said you can be aggressive ground and pound like Ohio State or you can be clock killing, I do not want to be clock killing.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              I'm OK with Roman.
              Me too!

Comment

• Gibby
                • Jun 2006

A huge upgrade over Hackett, if Rexy keeps the defense dominant I think the next couple years are going to be lots of fun.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Best OC on the market. He might even have been HC of this team if Rex hadn't signed.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I'm OK with Roman.
                    That's how I feel. As I think he's better than Hackett. Yet the 49ers struggles in the redzone concern me as they have a better talent base then we do. Also I feel the 49ers rushing stats are inflated because of Kaep's ability to run as EJ and/or whichever QB we bring won't rush like Kaep does. Then there's the whole Kaep hasn't progressed while there concerns me. Yet I do like he has an offensive line coaching background and his philosophy meshes with Ryan's. Time will tell if he is worth it but I admit I favor Trestman all things considered.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

I'm good with Roman. Seems like we're going to try to mimic the 49ers under Harbaugh. Dominant defense, dominant run game. Given our QB situation, that's fine with me.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jpdex12
                        • Jan 2005

Did you catch the presser when Rex said he even thinks EJ should have run more?

Not worried about a China doll..expand you offense!
                        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jpdex12 View Post
                          Did you catch the presser when Rex said he even thinks EJ should have run more?

Not worried about a China doll..expand you offense!
                          EJ can run but he prefer not to. As he's been trained to be a traditional pocket QB if you watch him. Although he does have the skill set to run one has to wonder if he can take a hit because of his injuries his rookie year and he had a few while at FSU too.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

Took Alex Smith and Kaepernick, both very mediocre qb's to Championship games. You know what your are going to get with Roman, great line, great running game, adequate passing. I bet we go after an athletic TE now with how Roman loved VD so much.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                              Took Alex Smith and Kaepernick, both very mediocre qb's to Championship games. You know what your are going to get with Roman, great line, great running game, adequate passing. I bet we go after an athletic TE now with how Roman loved VD so much.
                              Smith and Kaep are both better than the last version of EJ we saw. I'd also say they're both better than any QB set to be UFAs too. Also I question Roman because he was riding the Harbaugh waive and the only reason the 49ers struggled this year if ask me is their defense wasn't as good as in year's past and Kaep didn't take that next step up that they needed. I agree we need a TE as have been crying once since the season ended. It's definately near or towards the top of my shopping list.

Comment

Working...
                              X