PDA

View Full Version : I Won't Bash Pegula's For Getting The Guy They Wanted But....

Typ0
01-14-2015, 06:12 PM
the more I think about it this is a rebuild no getting around that. We don't have the personnel to run what these guys run. That being said, we needed to fix the OLine anyway but wait ... are they better suited to the new offense? UGH. I'm a little frustrated Spiller does not fit in the guy is a monster waiting to explode. We still need a QB who can threaten the whole field.

So we had two good squads and now are implementing a whole new defense....and it will take them a year to determine how the personnel will fit there and what they need.

When I think about all this stuff it starts to feel like a rebuild ...

Downinfloflo
01-14-2015, 06:21 PM
the more I think about it this is a rebuild no getting around that. We don't have the personnel to run what these guys run. That being said, we needed to fix the OLine anyway but wait ... are they better suited to the new offense? UGH. I'm a little frustrated Spiller does not fit in the guy is a monster waiting to explode. We still need a QB who can threaten the whole field.

So we had two good squads and now are implementing a whole new defense....and it will take them a year to determine how the personnel will fit there and what they need.

When I think about all this stuff it starts to feel like a rebuild ...

WHAT???????

The head coach quit....The Bills upgraded.

YardRat
01-14-2015, 06:22 PM
It's certainly more of a rebuild than it could've been. I'm curious to see, amongst many other things, obviously, how Kiko is really going to fit in. We already know the spot he occupied with Pettine didn't really play into his strengths on an every down basis, and I don't see moving him outside changing that too much. Maybe Rex will adapt his D a little bit to suit Kiko and keep him on the field a little more, replacing the extra dback he would normally like to throw out there so often. He certainly is athletic enough to be a hybrid safety/lber type.

YardRat
01-14-2015, 06:24 PM
I can't recall off the top of my head Ryan ever utilizing a LBer like Kiko, ever, in NY or Baltimore.

Downinfloflo
01-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I can't recall off the top of my head Ryan ever utilizing a LBer like Kiko, ever, in NY or Baltimore.

Has Rex ever had LB's as small as Kiko other than Maybin?

Typ0
01-14-2015, 06:51 PM
WHAT???????

The head coach quit....The Bills upgraded.

From the perspective of the coach it does feel like an upgrade. But from the perspective of the personnel we have now it feels like a rebuild.

Goobylal
01-14-2015, 06:55 PM
No rebuild, except for offense. The defense was guided by Pettine, a Ryan disciple, in 2013 and didn't miss a beat with Schwartz this past season. I see no reason to rebuild it or for it to suffer a decline in production.

jpdex12
01-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Where in the hell do some of you people get your thoughts from? Rebuild? Did Schwartz rebuild when he switched from the hybrid 4-3/3-4 Pettine ran? WTF?

Goobylal
01-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Where in the hell do some of you people get your thoughts from? Rebuild? Did Schwartz rebuild when he switched from the hybrid 4-3/3-4 Pettine ran? WTF?
I'd be willing to bet it was the same posters last year who said that Schwartz would turn the defense into the wide-9 and it would suffer.

The Jokeman
01-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Ray Lewis?

Strongman
01-14-2015, 07:51 PM
From the press conference, he alluded to building around the o-line. I took it as him wanting to upgrade the o-line, instead of rebuilding the entire team.

Mace
01-14-2015, 08:28 PM
It's certainly more of a rebuild than it could've been. I'm curious to see, amongst many other things, obviously, how Kiko is really going to fit in. We already know the spot he occupied with Pettine didn't really play into his strengths on an every down basis, and I don't see moving him outside changing that too much. Maybe Rex will adapt his D a little bit to suit Kiko and keep him on the field a little more, replacing the extra dback he would normally like to throw out there so often. He certainly is athletic enough to be a hybrid safety/lber type.

You know I'm not fond of the hire to get that out of the way.

Past that, Kiko was Pettine's (similar) MLB. Kiko and Preston Brown are the perfect linebackers for that system, 3 down lb's. Bradham will suffer again because he's not big enough to be Manny Lawson and not sharp or instinctive enough to be Alonso or Brown.

I don't think we're looking at Kiko as hybrid, that system uses a pair of linebackers most often, he'll certainly be Bart Scott or David Harris easy enough.

EDS
01-14-2015, 08:49 PM

Demorio Davis?

Strongman
01-14-2015, 08:54 PM

Jamie Sharper was about the same size

Mace
01-14-2015, 08:58 PM
For the record, Luke Kuechly is same size also if never having played for Rex.

Downinfloflo
01-14-2015, 10:59 PM
For the record, Luke Kuechly is same size also if never having played for Rex.

Kiko has the frame of a tri-athlete.

Luke is a solid bull.

Historian
01-15-2015, 06:00 AM
12-4

DraftBoy
01-15-2015, 06:07 AM

The possible comps I consider when I think about the style of D Rex runs were Paul Kruger and Jarrett Johnson.

Kiko would need to bulk up a little closer to 260, but I think his frame can handle it.

DraftBoy
01-15-2015, 06:08 AM

Kiko isn't that small, he's 6'3, 240.

Kruger was 6'4, 265, and Johnson 6'3, 260.

Kiko has to bulk up, but we all knew that coming into last season.

Bill Cody
01-15-2015, 08:28 AM
I think he needs a true NT to run that D. That's not Dareus.

trapezeus
01-15-2015, 09:00 AM
i don't see it as a rebuild. schwartz tweaked pettine's base with roughly the same personnel. so defense is ready to go.

on offense, i think roman has dealt with all types of qb's and will adapt to the personnel we have. the question for them is can they salvage the OL unit we have without having to burn the few picks we have on lineman picked last year.

i'd ideally like to see a CB, an LB, a TE, a RB, and a QB selected in the draft. not in that order, but with like 5-6 picks, it would be great if roman thinks the bills unit is there but poorly managed from last year.

if that's the case, i would expect a back 3rd offense at least get into the middle third. and with a great defense that should be enough to make the playoffs. might not go anywhere, but at this point, we are looking for little steps. just like being 9-7 was a little step in the right direction.

Buddo
01-15-2015, 02:24 PM
Thing is, Ryan himself has stated on at least a couple of occasions now, that he's run every sort of D imaginable. He will do stuff similalry to Pettine, but not the same, and he's insistent on putting guys into a position to succeed. All this angst over systems, is BS, imho.

Fcol, Ryan is the only coach to ever get anything out of Maybin.

While it's nice to have a discussion about who will do what, the bottom line is that it shouldn't be a concern.

ParanoidAndroid
01-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Kiko isn't that small, he's 6'3, 240.

Kruger was 6'4, 265, and Johnson 6'3, 260.

Kiko has to bulk up, but we all knew that coming into last season.

Why? Demario Davis is identical in size and started all 16 games the last 2 years for Ryan's defense.

Typ0
01-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Thing is, Ryan himself has stated on at least a couple of occasions now, that he's run every sort of D imaginable. He will do stuff similalry to Pettine, but not the same, and he's insistent on putting guys into a position to succeed. All this angst over systems, is BS, imho.

Fcol, Ryan is the only coach to ever get anything out of Maybin.

While it's nice to have a discussion about who will do what, the bottom line is that it shouldn't be a concern.

we are so far away from this ground and pound philosophy it's unimaginable we can play like that. We don't have the OLine or the backs. We have receivers. It sounds like a pile of crap to cover up for the fact that we don't have a QB. No matter what the reasons we need a whole new offense and new personnel on defense as well....new playbooks on both sides of the ball. Sure looks and sounds like a rebuild to me.