X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Let's Talk Bills Starting Quarterback For 2015

Nothing else really matters. Rex Ryan is the Bills new head coach, awesome.

Now let's decide who's going to play the most important position in all of sports.

The goal is to have the best quarterback possible to lead the Bills to the playoffs and win a Super Bowl Championship within the next year or 3 and hopefully more.

I want absolutely nothing to do with the crop of free agent quarterbacks available.

Look at the list, it's horrible. They all have experience, at sucking.

I'd rather have a rookie quarterback and Jeff Tuel competing against EJ Manuel for the starting job.

Kaepernick is not an option, Greg Roman has already made that clear.

According to the Chicago media, Jay Cutler's future in Chicago is very uncertain.

After reading the articles, I've come off the crack pipe and admit that giving up a 1st rounder for Jay Cutler would be desperately dumb.

If the Bears really want to get rid of Cutler, I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd rounder to get him, but do the Bills want to put their future in Jay Cutler's hands? Way too risky.

These two recent articles rip Cutler a new one. Scathing is an understatement.

Key to Bears' coaching search is a QB, but it's not Jay Cutler

There's a harsh divide among Bears fans whether to continue supporting Jay Cutler, but apparently executives for the team are having their own questions.

Report: Jay Cutler's future in Chicago uncertain

So no free agent quarterbacks are worth it, Kaepernick isn't Greg Roman's cup of tea, and Jay Cutler is being ran out of Chicago to the highest bidder by all accounts.

After reading those two reports, I've come to the conclusion that the best way to move forward for the Bills is by drafting the best available quarterback on the board with their 2nd round pick and letting EJ Manuel compete with him for the starting job.

Let EJ Manuel compete against Garrett Grayson or someone else and let it play out. If it doesn't work, kiss EJ goodbye and draft a QB in the 1st round in 2016.

That's the only way the Bills can win a Super Bowl Championship within the next three years.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: Let's Talk Bills Starting Quarterback For 2015

Why not just draft QB with every draft pick we have in the next 3 years? We are bound to get one of them right.

Comment

• elltrain22
      • Sep 2003

My wish list is as follows:

1. RG3- still think he's got upside, and his problems, can be fixed with the right coaching.
      2. Cutler- Yeah he's a d-bag, but he's a tremendous talent, that probably wouldn't cost us too much compensation.
      3. Mike Glennon- cheap option, has the arm to play in Buffalo, still very young, and has a lot of upside
      4. Matt Moore/Mark Sanchez- either guy would be decent. Decent would be good enough to get us enough in the playoffs.
      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
        Why not just draft QB with every draft pick we have in the next 3 years? We are bound to get one of them right.
        Washington drafted Kirk Cousins and RG3 in the same year. Why not draft 2 quarterbacks?

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

It will be interesting to see how the Broncos and Saints handle Manning and Brees in the offseason.

Manning and Brees both have base salaries of about $19 million.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
            Garrett Grayson
            I was sort of thinking about him too, but I doubt he'll come in and start this year. Could even be a longshot down the road.

The Bills absolutely need to draft a QB, but not necessarily in the second round. AND they need to bring in a veteran, whether it be in free agency or trade. Both these guys have to be REAL starting prospects to compete to start, too...at least one of them right away in 2015

I'm not going to pretend to know that the answer should be. I really don't know. We all know QB is the biggest thing issue going on here. Gigantic. Not so easy to bring the right guy in, if he's even out there to be had.
            Last edited by feldspar; 01-14-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
              I was sort of thinking about him too, but I doubt he'll come in and start this year. Could even be a longshot down the road.

The Bills absolutely need to draft a QB, but not necessarily in the second round. AND they need to bring in a veteran, whether it be in free agency or trade. Both these guys have to be REAL starting prospects to compete to start, too...at least one of them right away in 2015

I'm not going to pretend to know that the answer should be. I really don't know. We all know QB is the biggest thing issue going on here. Gigantic. Not so easy to bring the right guy in, if he's even out there to be had.
              There's no good FA QB to be had this offseason that will move the Bills closer to the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl Championship.

"AND they need to bring in a veteran."

No they don't, EJ Manuel is the veteran in year 3 of his career. Sink or swim time for EJ, and if he can't swim then put in the rookie to see what he's got.

Trial by error.

It's the only way to eventually win.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                • Sep 2004

The QB crop coming out drops way off after the top tier that'll go round 1. Honestly, it'd be a waste after that. These guys are hot garbage.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I would bet Blaine Gabbert or Josh Johnson will be in for a look. Unless I hear Rex come right and say he has no interest in Sanchez, he can't be discounted either.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

This is interesting.

The article fails to mention that Peyton Manning was playing with a torn right quadriceps for the past month.

Torn right quad:
                    Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning played Sunday's divisional-round playoff loss and the past month of the season with a torn right quadriceps, according to two sources.

Peyton Manning non-committal on Broncos future after loss to Colts

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

1. EJ Manuel until we sign anyone it's his job to lose

*Trade option X. The only real guy I'd trade for is Sam Bradford or Nick Foles but doubt either one available.

*UFA option 1. Marc Sanchez he's the best UFA out there and we know his ties to Rex Ryan but if Ryan really liked him you'd think he'd push harder to keep him with the Jets.

*UFA option 2. Colt McCoy. He played under Roman with the 49ers and to me is an okay backup/spot starter.

*UFA option 3. QB X. Maybe there's someone else out there we pursue but me I'd rather give a guy a chance that our coaches know than we don't know. Jack Locker could be a guy to think since he is similar to Kaep except he gets hurt a lot but has questionable accuracy. I've mentioned Christian Ponder before as think he isn't as bad as some and think he's the best investment in terms of risk reward UFAs QBs out there.

*UFA option 4. Blaine Gabbert. He played under Roman last year and Roman liked what he saw in camp according to http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/...7-e760731efaf5
                      To me he is low risk high reward option. As yes he was a bust in Jacksonville but he was still a former 1st Round pick but look closer he got hurt a lot there. Maybe he just needs to find away to get healthy.

*UFA option 5. Mike Vick. I don't like him but he does has Rex ties as might be the 2nd best rushing QB behind Kaep in the entire NFL.

*UFA option 6. Joshua Johnson. He played under Roman last year and had a better preseason than Gabbert yet Blain ended up number 2 on the depth chart because Johnson played against 3s whereas Gabbert played against 2s.

*Rookie option 1. Kevin Hogan. He might not declare but he was recruited by Harbaugh while he and Roman were at Stanford. He won't cost us a 1st round pick he might even last to Round 5 so another low risk high reward option. Maybe not a starter in 2015 but a developmental guy.

*Rookie option 2. X Take a chance on someone that fits what Roman wants in a QB. Again maybe not for 2015 but to develop incase EJ and/or veteran QB X falters. I brought up Chuck Keeton before and think he could fit into a pistol type offense but perhaps Roman will build his offense based on the QB and read too much into his offense with a running threat QB like he has in San Fran.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

If the Broncos part ways with Peyton Manning, I think the Pegula's will sign him.

Can you imagine Peyton Manning playing for the Buffalo Bills in the AFC East against the Patriots?

Peyton is 38 years old, but he still put up some gaudy numbers in 2014.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                          If the Broncos part ways with Peyton Manning, I think the Pegula's will sign him.

Can you imagine Peyton Manning playing for the Buffalo Bills in the AFC East against the Patriots?

Peyton is 38 years old, but he still put up some gaudy numbers in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmann...63/careerstats
                          I think John Elway keeps Peyton unless Manning himself he says he wants out. What I predict is Peyton will redo his deal like Brady did to free up cap space for the Broncos to re-sign D Thomas and/or J Thomas and maybe both. That way Manning can end his career next year aiming to break Favre's records that are left and give them one more shot at the title. He fails and then walks away into the sunset leaving their new HC to pick his own QB to man the team in 2016.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

The 38-year-old Manning braced himself on the podium Sunday night, tightened his lips into a grimace, and let the question hang in the air for a moment. Even though he recently said he wanted to come back for another season, he couldn't definitively say he still feels that way, not in the lingering aftermath of a 24-13 loss to his old team, the Indianapolis Colts, in a divisional playoff game.
                            Is he definitely coming back for an 18th season?
                            "I guess I just can't give that simple answer," he said, unmistakable dejection in his voice. "I'm processing it. I can't say that. I could not say that."

Peyton Manning's, Broncos' future unclear after 24-13 loss to Colts

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Peyton Manning has a lot of game left in him.

I hope the Broncos let him walk so he can win another Super Bowl or two, this time with the Bills.

Comment

Working...
                              X