How to defend Brady with Ryan/Thurman defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

How to defend Brady with Ryan/Thurman defense?

Not many teams have been able to bottle up Tom Brady and company, but the Jets have had more success than most. Gang Green defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman offers some tactics for slowing, if not stopping, the Pats

I really like the concept of Blitz because you want to, not because you have to, which I think is one of the philosophical difference between Ryan and Schwarz defense.

Lastly I want to point out Schwarz had been in Detroit for 6 years so he knows Rogers, Cutler and of course Stafford very very well. I truly believe it is a main reason we went 9-7 because of his knowledge allowed us to go 4-0 on NFCN. I'm not saying the defense is not good, I just don't know it is as good as the way we stopped Rogers, looking at the way Rivers and Brady (when it meant something), two QBs that Schwartz is not that familiar with, did to us. This is not the case for Ryan in facing our biggest challenge every single year: Tom Brady. I liked the last point of the article - Make Brady do some thinking. Simple concept but requires brilliant defensive minds to accomplish. Many well known guys like Dick LeBeau fail to accomplish that. By my accounts, only 3 teams, the Giants, the Ravens and the Jets were able to do that on some sort of regular basis. And I think the reason Jets were on the list is mainly because of Rex Ryan, who, by the way, came from the Ravens originally.
Working...
X