PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh, Brian Hoyer could very well be the guy the Bills are looking to add

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2015, 01:00 PM
I heard someone with ties to the Steelers mentioned that Hoyer, when asked to throw under 30 times a game, has a very good numbers. This is of course not really news in the industry. This morning I happen to caught Rex's interview with Mike and Mike on way to work; Greenie immediately said after the interview that if the Bills are indeed going to ground and pound route with a QB throw 20 times a game, then Hoyer would be their QB aquisition.

Hoyer will be cheap, made $1.25 million last year. No need to trade assets to get him since he will be an UFA.

I really believe #1 priority this offseason is fixing the running game. And I don't think they are going to rely on soon to be 28 year old Spiller and the oldest running back in NFL to be the main horses. O-Line and RB gets the top billing.

QB is important, but it is not an easy fix and I don't believe they are getting a franchise guy this off season. If any of the RGIII, Bradford, Cutler kind of talent gets to the market, they will jump on it for sure. Right now I expect a veteran brought in to be the starter. EJ as a backup. A developmental guy (a shot for Brady like miracle) to complete the QB roster.

better days
01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, I went on record long ago that the Bills should bring in Hoyer.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-15-2015, 01:02 PM
i agree completely. I know some people here think that Aaron Rodgers type of QB's just fall out of the sky every year, but you're correct. This is probably something we will end up doing. or at least something similar to this

Night Train
01-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Not a reach at all. He or someone of his ilk will porbably be here, along with another FA or draft pick. Not a fan of the top rated QB's coming out in this draft. Someone picked in the middle/late rounds is probably just as capable.

Typ0
01-15-2015, 01:05 PM
I like the idea of using Peyton Manning in the same way. Let him play smart. Don't put too much on his shoulders. Fix the run game. Blow people away.

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2015, 01:08 PM
I like Hoyer. I'm a proponent of bringing him in and let him compete with EJ. Whoever wins the job we will have a decent backup.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2015, 01:09 PM
I like the idea of using Peyton Manning in the same way. Let him play smart. Don't put too much on his shoulders. Fix the run game. Blow people away.

Except Manning is and will want to be paid, or in team building phrases, command team resources like a guy who wins games for you.

better days
01-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Not a reach at all. He or someone of his ilk will porbably be here, along with another FA or draft pick. Not a fan of the top rated QB's coming out in this draft. Someone picked in the middle/late rounds is probably just as capable.

It is possible the Bills could find a hidden gem in the middle rnds that would be as good as Hoyer.

I say sign Hoyer & if they identify a guy they think can do that, draft him as well.

Lets have some COMPETITION for QB this year!

feldspar
01-15-2015, 01:17 PM
The pickings are slim.

justasportsfan
01-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Roman may use Hoyer like he did Alex Smith in his 1st year as OC of the 9rs.

Game manager.

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Roman may use Hoyer like he did Alex Smith in his 1st year as OC of the 9rs.

Game manager.
With this defense and our RB corp, that's all we need.

Mr. Pink
01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Hoyer and Orton are exactly the same.

People infuriated with Orton's performance should want no part of Hoyer.

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2015, 01:52 PM

Do you even watch football? Hoyer has a much stronger arm and is much much more mobile.

I think he's a slower and slightly less athletic version of Kaepernick.

justasportsfan
01-15-2015, 01:55 PM
With this defense and our RB corp, that's all we need.

Bring back Fitz

:couch:

- - - Updated - - -

Do you even watch football? Hoyer has a much stronger arm and is much much more mobile.

Mr. Pink is our resident Browns fan.

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2015, 01:57 PM
\Mr. Pink is our resident Browns fan.
That is even more peculiar.

It's like me saying Freddy Jackson is the Bills version of Darren Sproles. Hello???

Mr. Pink
01-15-2015, 02:00 PM

:rofl:

I've seen every one of Hoyer's starts.

The midseason collapse Orton had til the end of the year? Yeah Hoyer did the exact same thing.

Except Hoyer was throwing a bunch of INTs. In his last 6 games, Hoyer threw 2 TDs and 9 INTs.

He's a career 56.5% passer with 19 TDs to 19 INTs.

To put it nicely, he's mediocre. That might be going too far.

Mr. Pink
01-15-2015, 02:06 PM

If you broke one of Kaepernicks legs, maybe.

Fun fact, Kyle Orton has a higher yards per carry over his career than Hoyer does.

better days
01-15-2015, 02:06 PM

The midseason collapse Orton had til the end of the year? Yeah Hoyer did the exact same thing.

Except Hoyer was throwing a bunch of INTs. In his last 6 games, Hoyer threw 2 TDs and 9 INTs.

Well, if Hoyer were GREAT, the Bills would have no chance of signing him.

The best we can hope for in free agency is a little better than Mediocre.

feldspar
01-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Personally, I think that Hoyer would be a downgrade from Orton.

Strange as it may sound, Orton's greatest strength was his consistency. A consistency to be predictably mediocre, all said and done. You can point out games or runs where there are exceptions, but he's middler all the way through in the end. That's in high demand in a backup role or a go-between, really. The guy could have been in the NFL for another 6 years easily because of this.

Cleve
01-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Orton protected the ball at least, fairly well. Hoyer, not so much.

What a dismal prospect a Hoyer-led Bills is. If the Bills are lucky, the offense would be as good as it was under Orton. Maybe Roman can make it better - but a coach is limited by the talent he has to work with.

Add into that mix - with Schwartz gone,and Ryan's boys coming in from the Jets, will the Defense be as good this season as last?

If the offense doesn't improve, and the defense takes a step backward - Bills could be looking at a 7-9 season instead of 9-7.

GingerP
01-15-2015, 02:39 PM
There is a lot of talk that Hoyer will sign with Houston this offseason to replace Fitzpatrick. He has a very good relationship with Bill O'Brien.

ParanoidAndroid
01-15-2015, 03:16 PM
That might be the best we can do this year. In the meantime, upgrade the o-line and get a workhorse. If the Bills make a push for Iupati, look for a RB in round 2 or 3..... Mike Davis from South Carolina is a Roman type RB.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
The other one is Sanchez, which is an obvious one.

Notice Ryan is well aware the criticism of his handling (or the lack of handling) of offense. He kept saying he learned from the Jets experience every time he opened his mouth. Well he clearly didn't mean what he learned on defense. It has to be the offensive side of the ball. In those conference championship years with the Jets, Ryan was doing ground and pound. Afterwards, they started to open up the offense to Sanchez and that philosophy didn't change when Geno came on board where he's asked to do it all whereas the Bills limited EJ. It is a safe bet that regardless who's coming in at QB, Rex is not about to let that person to throw all over the place next year.

EDS
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM

Slightly less athletic version of Kaepernick? That is like saying Spiller is a slightly less physical runner than Jerome Bettis. Dareus could outrun Hoyer.

trapezeus
01-15-2015, 04:11 PM
I heard someone with ties to the Steelers mentioned that Hoyer, when asked to throw under 30 times a game, has a very good numbers. This is of course not really news in the industry. This morning I happen to caught Rex's interview with Mike and Mike on way to work; Greenie immediately said after the interview that if the Bills are indeed going to ground and pound route with a QB throw 20 times a game, then Hoyer would be their QB aquisition.

Hoyer will be cheap, made $1.25 million last year. No need to trade assets to get him since he will be an UFA.

I really believe #1 priority this offseason is fixing the running game. And I don't think they are going to rely on soon to be 28 year old Spiller and the oldest running back in NFL to be the main horses. O-Line and RB gets the top billing.

QB is important, but it is not an easy fix and I don't believe they are getting a franchise guy this off season. If any of the RGIII, Bradford, Cutler kind of talent gets to the market, they will jump on it for sure. Right now I expect a veteran brought in to be the starter. EJ as a backup. A developmental guy (a shot for Brady like miracle) to complete the QB roster.

look at Ej's under 30 passsing...he's 5-2. over 30 passes, 1-6. We might already have the guy you want. as an UFA, it's fine to get, him but you'll have the same guy. additionally, he really struggled in the bills game. that was winnable for cleveland.

i'm not against it, but i would still think you need to draft a qb.

YardRat
01-15-2015, 04:24 PM
They are going to end up with 5 arms in OTA's or camp, eventually...EJ, Tuel, a draft pick, a vet FA (maybe Hoyer. Maybe Gabbert or Freeman) and another UDFA or lower tier vet. I don't see them going for a Cutler, Foles or Glennon unless they can rape the other teams just for taking one off of their hands.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2015, 04:59 PM
They are going to end up with 5 arms in OTA's or camp, eventually...EJ, Tuel, a draft pick, a vet FA (maybe Hoyer. Maybe Gabbert or Freeman) and another UDFA or lower tier vet.

Maybe Sanchez

Generalissimus Gibby
01-15-2015, 05:05 PM
As long as it was understood that he is not the long term answer/savior of this franchise I am not at all against the idea of him lining up under center as a stop gap measure until we can groom a long term answer.

swiper
01-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Hoyer would be ok.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2015, 05:25 PM
look at Ej's under 30 passsing...he's 5-2. over 30 passes, 1-6. We might already have the guy you want. as an UFA, it's fine to get, him but you'll have the same guy. additionally, he really struggled in the bills game. that was winnable for cleveland.

I said what I expect them to do, but I have a different prediction under that scenario.

I predict that EJ wins the competition in training camp, much like he did in his rookie year. I have no inside info, just a feeling that after two full seasons in NFL, watching last 12 games by Orton, EJ mentally might have a big step forward. He's not a dumb guy; I liked what he said after being benched that he's going to let it fly whenever he gets a chance again, which tells me he believes his biggest problem was playing scared. He'll be 25, entering athlete's peak years.

In the overall picture, it may not mean too much: his best might still be a backup QB in NFL. But that could just be enough for the Bills to make the playoff.

YardRat
01-15-2015, 06:07 PM
I said what I expect them to do, but I have a different prediction under that scenario.

I predict that EJ wins the competition in training camp, much like he did in his rookie year. I have no inside info, just a feeling that after two full seasons in NFL, watching last 12 games by Orton, EJ mentally might have a big step forward. He's not a dumb guy; I liked what he said after being benched that he's going to let it fly whenever he gets a chance again, which tells me he believes his biggest problem was playing scared. He'll be 25, entering athlete's peak years.

In the overall picture, it may not mean too much: his best might still be a backup QB in NFL. But that could just be enough for the Bills to make the playoff.

He better be learning to cement stepping into his throws in his muscle memory, or else he's just going to 'let it fly' over receivers heads consistently again.

Bill Cody
01-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Hoyer is not an NFL starter.

Don't Panic
01-15-2015, 06:37 PM

Great point with EJs numbers. Gives great perspective. I'm all for drafting a QB late and bringing in a guy too but the bottom line is that for at least this next year, we have our guy.

Edward Robinson
01-15-2015, 08:22 PM
In case anyone on here doesn't realize EJ is 5-2 when throwing less than 30 times a GM where his only losses are to new england where he left the field for the last time with the lead and d couldn't hold on at the end and the clevland GM where he got hurt also with the lead I believe.

Point is as bad as EJ PLAYED I still think he can guide us to win as long as he is asked not to do to much right now

1 last point about the 1-6 when throwing more than 30 times is 5 out of those 7 games he he threw a min of 39 passes

harmonkoz
01-15-2015, 08:24 PM
I would much rather see some sort of trade with TB for Glennon.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
In case anyone on here doesn't realize EJ is 5-2 when throwing less than 30 times a GM where his only losses are to new england where he left the field for the last time with the lead and d couldn't hold on at the end and the clevland GM where he got hurt also with the lead I believe.

Point is as bad as EJ PLAYED I still think he can guide us to win as long as he is asked not to do to much right now

1 last point about the 1-6 when throwing more than 30 times is 5 out of those 7 games he he threw a min of 39 passes

That's a deceptive stat. I'm sure every QB would have a much higher win % if they threw less, because QBs throw less when everything else is working well and they are handing off to preserve a lead.

Night Train
01-16-2015, 03:09 AM
Right now, everyone is just looking at the bad UFA QB list.

After the draft a few more Vets will be available for a future pick or just cut. Plus the trade route on draft day may be viable, if the Bills solve other issues in FA (ex. Guard).

swiper
01-16-2015, 04:10 AM
After reading this (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/15/rex-ryan-had-no-concerns-about-the-quarterback-situation-in-buffalo/), it makes me think that the Pegulas, Brandon, and Whaley have a plan of some sort. And it may include Manuel, but doesn't end there. It makes me think that Ryan bought into it. It's likely to be some FA or QB trade target they have established, a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick qb and Manuel & Tuel going into camp. They take whoever is best at the end of camp. That's about the best you can ask for realistically.

It also makes me think they had such an approach when Marrone was here, but Marrone was a rogue and wanted complete control over the situation. So kudos to Ryan for listening and being cooperative with the Bills braintrust.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-16-2015, 05:33 AM
This is so early in the off season (technically offseason hasn't started) that they can promise Ryan anything on QB. It's not like they have the top draft pick.

And I HATE any idea of preset notion that we are going to draft a QB with pick number X, as if that will guarantee you get a QB of quality of pick X.

If I'm a betting man, I will say a RB in round 2, which Whaley tried to do in last draft, and it will be something Ryan will be happy about.

The most likely promise to Ryan is a commitment from Terry that he will be given time; hence a 5 year deal. Notice Ryan's talk about Buffalo being his last stop. I can't imagine any successful business man like Terry would commit to a coach (verbally or otherwise) about staying as long as he wants, but he must have made Ryan feellike that's a likely scenario if he does better than what he accomplished with the Jets.

better days
01-16-2015, 05:59 AM

As a Bucs fan as well as a Bills fan I would welcome that if the Bucs have given up on Glennon.

Glennon is the QB I wanted the Bills to draft.

Forward_Lateral
01-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Sanchez, if nothing else, is accurate. Yes he makes boneheaded mistakes that make you want to pull your hair out, but he did a pretty good job in Philly this year. I'd bring him in to see anyways.

harmonkoz
01-16-2015, 06:33 AM
As a Bucs fan as well as a Bills fan I would welcome that if the Bucs have given up on Glennon.

Glennon is the QB I wanted the Bills to draft.

I read this earlier in the postseason, don't know how accurate it is, but it is the impression I have gotten as well.

Mike Glennon (http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeglennon/2539275/profile): Lovie Smith (http://www.nfl.com/player/loviesmith/2526022/profile) clearly has no use for Glennon despite all the promise he's shown in 18 career starts. Smith isn't going anywhere, so perhaps Glennon will. We have to believe that some team out there will be intrigued by the aggressiveness Glennon has shown in two seasons. He's better than some starters out there and might only cost a mid-to-late round pick for the last two years of his contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000449237/article/qb-index-which-qbs-will-be-available-in-2015

better days
01-16-2015, 06:51 AM
I read this earlier in the postseason, don't know how accurate it is, but it is the impression I have gotten as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000449237/article/qb-index-which-qbs-will-be-available-in-2015

Glennon was in the same boat as EJ this past year.

The Bucs said they were developing him.

I guess we will find out on draft day.

If the Bucs draft a QB, Glennon could be had CHEAP is my thinking.

bdutton
01-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Hoyer might be the best option out there as either a journeyman starter or a reliable backup. Either way, it will create a competition for the starting job in TC.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Tampa has the 1st overall pick. It is hard to believe they won't draft a QB. There is no Clowney (obvious choice pre-draft) in this year's draft. Glennon is cheap so they could keep him if they elect to (#1 pick, McCown, Glannon).

On the other hand, the Rams are going to ask Bradford to take a paycut and compete for the job in 2015. It is matter of loyalty and what Bradford thinks he can make in open market compared to the $13 million he is slated to earn in the last year of his contract. I still think among the trio of Cutler, RGIII and him, he's the most likely guy that may become available.

harmonkoz
01-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Tampa has the 1st overall pick. It is hard to believe they won't draft a QB. There is no Clowney (obvious choice pre-draft) in this year's draft. Glennon is cheap so they could keep him if they elect to (#1 pick, McCown, Glannon).

On the other hand, the Rams are going to ask Bradford to take a paycut and compete for the job in 2015. It is matter of loyalty and what Bradford thinks he can make in open market compared to the $13 million he is slated to earn in the last year of his contract. I still think among the trio of Cutler, RGIII and him, he's the most likely guy that may become available.

I think you are right. The only thing that concerns me about Bradford is his health or lack thereof.

better days
01-16-2015, 07:37 AM

The Bucs could certainly afford to keep Glennon if that want to, but if they draft a QB, I think they will want a Vet to mentor him & will be likely to cut ties with Glennon.

I could see the Bucs trading the first pick if they want to keep Glennon.

harmonkoz
01-16-2015, 07:47 AM
The Bucs could certainly afford to keep Glennon if that want to, but if they draft a QB, I think they will want a Vet to mentor him & will be likely to cut ties with Glennon.

I could see the Bucs trading the first pick if they want to keep Glennon.

That is a good take. I had not thought about a vet to mentor. I really think there is a good chance they take Jameis. We'll see I guess.

Bill Cody
01-16-2015, 08:16 AM

You could just wait until he's released. He lost his job to Josh McCown. And when the Bucs draft a QB this year he will probably be cut.

better days
01-16-2015, 08:31 AM
You could just wait until he's released. He lost his job to Josh McCown. And when the Bucs draft a QB this year he will probably be cut.

Because of the lack of QB talent in the NFL, I think a number of teams would be happy to take Glennon off the Bucs hands.

I think they could get a low rnd pick for him from some team, I doubt they will have to cut him.

BillsNick
01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Am I missing something here? Didn't Hoyer suck? He lost his job to Johnny Football???

Meathead
01-16-2015, 11:47 AM
they will be looking to add one baseline qb for insurance. that could be someone like hoyer, sanchez, or moore. then theyll add a draft pick, probably their second or a move higher if somebody they like is there. that will be your qb comp

theres an outside chance they will spend picks to try to get someone off somebody elses roster, but that seems too expensive when you can just go with the above strategy with less risk

they arent going to count on the baseline veteran for anything other than insurance and locker room mentoring

jamze132
01-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Can't agree with you about Hoyer. He does know how to tuck the ball in and run for the marker, unlike Orton who would tuck the ball in, tuck his chin in, and turn around backwards waiting to get hit.

jamze132
01-16-2015, 11:54 AM
BTW, the whole "under/over 30 passes" argument is crap.

If a QB has less than 30 passes, it means his O-line and RBs are doing their thing. If he has more than 30 passes, his defense, O-line, and RBs suck.

djjimkelly
01-17-2015, 08:09 AM
a name not thrown around yet that i think would work is kirk cousins

id send a 3rd for him. he played well for the skins IMO with his starts just when you score 30 and the D allows 35 you cant win

hes young accurate and has alot of upside

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Glennon was in the same boat as EJ this past year.

The Bucs said they were developing him.

I guess we will find out on draft day.

If the Bucs draft a QB, Glennon could be had CHEAP is my thinking.
With that top pick they'd be stupid not to take a QB, unless they trade it away I guess.

Mr. Miyagi
01-17-2015, 08:17 AM
they will be looking to add one baseline qb for insurance. that could be someone like hoyer, sanchez, or moore. then theyll add a draft pick, probably their second or a move higher if somebody they like is there. that will be your qb comp

theres an outside chance they will spend picks to try to get someone off somebody elses roster, but that seems too expensive when you can just go with the above strategy with less risk

they arent going to count on the baseline veteran for anything other than insurance and locker room mentoring
So Tuel time is over??? Say it ain't so!!!!