PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Defense Won't Go Belly-up By Losing Jim Schwartz

notacon
01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Bills' Defense Won't Go Belly-up By Losing Jim Schwartz (http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16959/bills-defense-wont-go-belly-up-by-losing-jim-schwartz)

Buffalo Bills (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills) defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz decided Monday to part ways with the team (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12158322/jim-schwartz-return-buffalo-bills) upon the arrival of coach Rex Ryan. It might not be the news Bills fans were hoping for -- Buffalo ranked fourth in overall defense in 2014 -- but it was a predictable outcome, given that Schwartz's and Ryan's defensive philosophies and schemes differ greatly.

I called their potential pairing an "odd marriage" (http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16914/follow-up-thoughts-on-rex-ryan-and-bills) last week, and it's probably for the best that the two didn't try to meld together competing defensive identities. Even though coaches often talk about "adapting to personnel" and "doing whatever it takes to win," they are often stubborn creatures of habit. They want to run their own scheme and have their own people in charge.

Instead of having two strong personalities running some ambiguous mix of their systems, Ryan likely will have Dennis Thurman and most of the defensive staff from the Jets teaching and coaching what they know best, and that's the best outcome for the Bills.

While Schwartz's system worked well for the Bills this season, keep in mind that former coordinator Mike Pettine's approach -- which he learned from Ryan -- turned the defense from one of the league's worst in 2012 to one of the best in 2013.

In fact, there were fears when Schwartz arrived that he would make the defense less aggressive than it was under Pettine, who had left to become coach of the Cleveland Browns. He eased some of that worry by stressing the importance of "continuity" in his introductory news conference, but ultimately he ran a close parallel to his system in Detroit, where he was head coach for five seasons -- with very little carryover from Pettine's system.

It worked for Schwartz. He was allowed to do what he does best, just as Ryan now will be able to do.

And guess what? It will probably work for Ryan, too.

Interesting take on the loss of Schwartz. Sparky is going to whine all off season, and probably all next season, of the terrible move the Bills did not not elevating Jim Schwartz instead of hiring Rex Ryan.

Well, Schwartz had a mixed record as Detroit's HC. His team made the playoffs once, losing the one game they were in after two years. It went downhill fast after that with a 4-12 and 7-9 record. He was replaced in 2014 and the Lions had their best season in 23 years with a 11-5 record and the playoffs where they lost to the Cowboys in a referee tainted debacle.

Schwartz was no miracle worker for Buffalo's defense as indicated above.

I'm encouraged by the totally new coaching staff. I've been calling for that to happen for weeks now. Whaley is still around, and that still spells trouble in my eyes. Since Ryan is reporting to Pegula instead of Whaley, this should be interesting to see who gets their way come a disagreement between Ryan and Whaley.

Rex Ryan is no shrinking violet. Should at least be entertaining!

ublinkwescore
01-15-2015, 07:21 PM
god I hope not... just fix the damn offense. there are too many ferarris on the bills defense - some of them don't even start - for it to be a weak link. but we need to first fix the o line and with it the running game - and for the love of god, can we please just not re-sign spiller?

Luisito23
01-15-2015, 08:06 PM
LOL...Defense is the last of our worries, just fix the O. like Blink said, and please find a QB ASAP!

better days
01-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Well, Rex is saying the Bills will have the #1 Defense in the NFL.

#4 was disappointing according to Rex.

Reminds me of a line from the movie True Grit.........BOLD TALK....I like it.

Ed
01-16-2015, 09:40 AM
For those that really wanted to keep Schwartz and are concerned about the defense, why did Detroit's defense get significantly better this past season after he left? They finished 2nd in yds/gm and 3rd in pts/gm. Their defense was one of the best in the league and now it looks like their DC might get the HC job in Atlanta.

I liked Schwartz and I'm not trying to bash him at all. I definitely wanted him to stay if we had hired a different HC, but why would anyone worry about the D under Rex Ryan?

jamze132
01-16-2015, 01:37 PM
For those that really wanted to keep Schwartz and are concerned about the defense, why did Detroit's defense get significantly better this past season after he left? They finished 2nd in yds/gm and 3rd in pts/gm. Their defense was one of the best in the league and now it looks like their DC might get the HC job in Atlanta.

I liked Schwartz and I'm not trying to bash him at all. I definitely wanted him to stay if we had hired a different HC, but why would anyone worry about the D under Rex Ryan?

Maybe it was just the natural development of their players in relation to playing time/experience?

YardRat
01-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Pettine helped make the defense good...Schwartz helped make the defense dominant. The personnel currently on the squad fit Schwartz's D better than it does Ryan's. This is a switch back to a system that expects players (especially all across the front seven) to do some things that aren't their strong points. Instead of amplifying their strengths, it will (to a certain point) expose their weaknesses. That side of the ball certainly won't go 'belly-up', but I'll be very surprised if they are able to replicate or improve on last season (#4 overall, and the only defense in the league ranked in the top 10 in all major defensive statistical categories).

ublinkwescore
01-16-2015, 04:18 PM

Tom brady twice, manning once, rodgers once, rivers once, a tough running game in Minnesota, kc and miami twice.

justasportsfan
01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Well, Rex is saying the Bills will have the #1 Defense in the NFL.

That's what worries me. He's all talk. He should just shut his mouth .

Hes a loudmouth who can't cash in what his mouth puts out

BillsImpossible
01-16-2015, 06:08 PM
One of the biggest advantages to shaking things up on defense is the game tape, or lack of it.

From Pettine, to Schwartz, to Thurman, new defensive coordinators (with good talent) are difficult to study on film because last year's defense no longer applies.

Nobody knows how Rex Ryan is going use his players.

In my opinion, I think the Bills will be a true, "hybrid," defense that uses the best of both schemes because they have the players to do it.

Will the Bills be a 3-4 or a 4-3 in 2015?

Depends on who they're playing.

BertSquirtgum
01-16-2015, 06:21 PM
The offense is probably going to be worse with the loss of Spiller to the Jesters. Heavy sarcasm included.

BillsImpossible
01-16-2015, 06:27 PM
The offense is probably going to be worse with the loss of Spiller to the Jesters. Heavy sarcasm included.

Spiller can't block, so I hope he goes to the Jets.

notacon
01-16-2015, 06:41 PM
What I don't agree with is that Schwartz was the reason for the Bills being better than average on defense. No, they were not "elite", although they had some good games at the end of the season.

The Raiders game was not one of those.

In any event, Schwartz was an average to below average HC, and one year as Bills DC does not a career make.

I expect the Bills defense can get even better under Ryan. The offense can go nowhere except up, unless they totally **** up the QB situation, which is entirely possible.

Night Train
01-16-2015, 07:37 PM
The Rex D of the Jets did far better vs. the Pats than the Bills.

Now Rex has more overall talent on D.

This D will love him.

cookie G
01-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Well, let's hope Rex can make some type of coaching comeback and improve on the points allowed category.

In the last 4 years, his D's have ranked no higher than 19th in points allowed.

God knows he'll have to improve, because he's never produced an offense, and this team can't afford to get into scoring matches very often.