• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

TBN Bucky approves of Ryan sort of.....

Ooh Rex, be afraid, real afraid, guy named Bucky is on to you.

So no matter your feelings on Ryan, this stood out to me :

Bills fans in particular, when they take a step back, should be skeptical about his performance Wednesday. Ryan impressed fans with references to Cookie Gilchrist, Billy Shaw and Jack Kemp. He might have heard about the AFL days, but I doubt he remembered much about them. Do the math.

Gilchrist played his final game Dec. 20, 1964, exactly one week after Rex celebrated his second birthday, and retired three years later. Little Rex was barely 7 years old when Shaw and Kemp finished their careers in Buffalo. He was three days removed from his 11th birthday in 1973, when O.J. Simpson rushed for his 2,003rd yard in the season finale against the Jets.

OK, so maybe be was bending the truth for effect.
    I was also 2 when Gilchrist played his final game. I wasn't in a football family, I was 11 when the infamous Juice got his 2003. I didn't realize the Bills had a real team until around 1970. Once I did I learned all about Cookie, Stratton, Dubenion, Sestak.....

On wee little grumbly black and whites, I learned plenty to mention to fans from other towns. Bart Starr, Len Dawson, Ed Podolak, Ray Nitschke, Butkus and Gale Sayers, Curly Culp, Jack Pardee when he was an LB, Deacon Jones, John Brockington even, Theismann playing for Notre Dame, the miracle Mets, the Orioles 4 20 game winners.....Wilt Chamberlain, skinny guy named Lew Alcindor, Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Johnny Unitas even, John Brodie, Cassius Clay, Sonny Liston, Jean Beliveau, Eddie Giacomin, Cesare Maniago, Gump Worsley....Mario Andretti, the Unsers......Billy Jean King....countless others. Baltimore Orioles and KC Chiefs were my favorites, the NY Mets, I could get deeper about them without living in Baltimore, KC or NYC.

Diff stars, diff eras, diff sports. There was no internet, but there was sports on TV an awful lot if you liked them, and plenty of old people to tell you more about Mickey Mantle, Maurice Richard, Rocky Marciano, plenty of others....

Buddy Ryan coached at UB 1961-1965, but never talked sports with his kids evidently and Rex must not have been a fan in the era of those wee grumbly black and whites and crackly radios with his dad in the biz.

And Bucky Gleason has been loving up Sullivan too long to think clearly. Though maybe I'm bending the truth for effect.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: TBN Bucky approves of Ryan sort of.....

I didn't see Cookie either but knew all about the legends from my father and brothers. I'm in my mid 50's and first attended games in 1965, the year after Cookie left.

Anyone that's been in the fieldhouse has seen the pictures of all the AFL guys that played for us. He was just referencing them... but some need to make much ado about nothing. Much like this place.

I watched the Bucky & Sully show one night. That is beyond bad with 2 grown men in obvious need of a laxative.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

This hire is a dream come true for hacks like Bucky and Sully, who really don't care about the team they just want 'the best story'. Real writers don't need to be set up with easy content, they have the ability to create it on their own.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

Bucky and Sully should go take a leap off of the peace bridge

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Rex is my age.

I started watching the Bills with my Dad in 1967. I was five years old. He finally got sick of my pestering, and took me to a preseason game in 1970, (against Atlanta) and that opened the floodgates for me.

The math works.

Funny thing....when the Bills were at home at War Memorial, the TV Guide would always list them as being broadcast on Channel 3, which I believe is Syracuse.

Dad and I would use that clicker box under the tv to rotate the antenna in every possible direction to try to pick the game up...to no avail. We would spend all Sunday afternoon trying to pick up a local broadcast.

Too funny.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Rex is my age.

I started watching the Bills with my Dad in 1967. I was five years old. He finally got sick of my pestering, and took me to a preseason game in 1970, (against Atlanta) and that opened the floodgates for me.

The math works.

Funny thing....when the Bills were at home at War Memorial, the TV Guide would always list them as being broadcast on Channel 3, which I believe is Syracuse.

Dad and I would use that clicker box under the tv to rotate the antenna in every possible direction to try to pick the game up...to no avail. We would spend all Sunday afternoon trying to pick up a local broadcast.

Too funny.
            And then settle for the Cleveland NFL game on CBS at 1pm, which is why so many folks in their 50's are Browns fans locally.

Then at 4pm, the AFL games on NBC of Oakland, San Diego, Denver and KC.

Got you by a couple years. I can remember those days like it was a week ago Tuesday. The best years of our lives.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              Rex is my age.

The math works.

Too funny.
              I remember watching the Bills AFL Championship game against the Chargers at my cousins house in West Seneca.

That was the game Mike Stratton made the hit heard around the World on Keith Lincoln.

Believe it or not, that CHAMPIONSHIP game was blacked out in Buffalo.

My cousin & I climbed up on the roof to turn the Antenna towards Rochester.

Our fathers in the living room would pop out & yell..."a little to the left...no too far to the right a little."

There was snow on the screen, but the game was watchable. I think we were about ten years old at that time.
              Last edited by better days; 01-16-2015, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X