PDA

View Full Version : Spiller to the Jets? Says its a "perfect match"

casdhf
01-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Spiller sounded excited to stay with rex, now off to NJ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459525/article/cj-spiller-talks-up-possible-reunion-with-chan-gailey

sdbillsfan2
01-16-2015, 08:46 AM
[ Its just a negotiating ploy. He's way to comfortable here.

better days
01-16-2015, 09:03 AM
[ Its just a negotiating ploy. He's way to comfortable here.

It may be a negotiating ploy, but CJ to the Jets makes a lot of sense with Chan as OC.

I think CJ will sign with the Bills or Jets, whichever team gives him the better contract.

Dude
01-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Wasn't Chan Gailey the one who limited Spiller's touches because he was afraid he'd get tired?

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Ugh. If he goes there im going to have to find something (FIRE) to do with my jersey..

better days
01-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Wasn't Chan Gailey the one who limited Spiller's touches because he was afraid he'd get tired?

Well, no doubt Chan kept CJ's legs fresh.

He probably helped extend his career.

Albany,n.y.
01-16-2015, 09:39 AM

The media would ask Chan why Spiller didn't have more carries & Chan would respond that CJ was "winded". Then CJ would deny that. Then he got into Marrone's offense & found out that it's better to be in an offense where the media sees him being successful & asks why he doesn't get the ball more than to be ignored.

Ed
01-16-2015, 09:44 AM
I'd hate to see Spiller as a Jet. I can't blame him for being a fan of Gailey, but that doesn't mean the Jets feel the same way and would be willing to pay him. They do definitely have the cap space though, to be big players in free agency.

I still think Spiller's top choice would be to stay here and play for Rex, but if they can't come to terms it would make sense that playing with Gailey would be appealing. I hope Spiller and Hughes get extended soon.

The King
01-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Don't the Jets have enough money tied up at RB?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-16-2015, 09:47 AM
At this point, CJ would happily go where anyone would pay him. If Peterson gets released, he's probably the 4th best HB on the market and this is after most teams figured out that you don't give big money to free agent halfbacks.

Meathead
01-16-2015, 09:58 AM
if i were cj i would run to wherever chan was coaching. have fun in nj cj. thanks for the memory

Ed
01-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Don't the Jets have enough money tied up at RB?
I read that they're likely going to release Chris Johnson which would save them another $4 million.

trapezeus
01-16-2015, 10:34 AM
if the bills can swing a bigger contract with less term on CJ, i'd like to keep him. but overall, his deal can't crush the cap. i still think it's better to get a bryce brown sized back in the draft in rounds 5-7. someone who is inbetween dixon and fred sizewise and can prototypically be a workhorse and a speedster. that would really open up dixon and jackson's game.

it would also be much cheaper to go that route.

OpIv37
01-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Another wasted draft pick. He isn't a complete bust like Maybin or McCargo but we could have done better with that pick.

GingerP
01-16-2015, 01:07 PM
He would actually be a pretty good fit replacing Chris Johnson for the Jets, as a compliment to Chris Ivory. Ivory is a tough guy to tackle, an under-rated RB.

jamze132
01-16-2015, 01:29 PM
I doubt Spiller goes anywhere. He'll have the maximum opportunity under Rex's philosophy.

YardRat
01-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Dallas is allegedly offering Murray only $4mil per, so if that's really the market Spiller should come pretty cheap regardless of where he lands.

notacon
01-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Drafting Spiller in the first round was monumentally stupid, and I said so at the time.

His career has proven that to still be true.

I don't care where Spiller goes. If the Bills sign him for big bucks, that would be doubling down on the stupid.

feldspar
01-16-2015, 04:40 PM
If we want to run the ball like we're going to have to, we'll first of all need to fix the o-line and have better run-blocking schemes there. That's obvious.

I think that's it's a little bit too much to ask for the oldest running back in the league to be a workhorse, as well. We also need running backs. Some of you people are so hyper-critical of CJ Spiller that it boggles my mind. The guy is a dynamic player, and the most talented runner the Bills currently have if used properly. He's not a power runner. You don't run a vanilla run-up-the-gut play with him all the time behind a line that can't open a hole that way.

Keeping him would be a lot bigger than people realize IMO. If he goes to the Jets, I'll be pissed.

YardRat
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
If they can fix the oline a little bit, I could see Brown and Boobie having big seasons. Still would like a rookie to add to the mix, though.

ublinkwescore
01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
I think we should get into the Demarco Murray sweepsteaks and tell Spiller adios. I'd give Murray more than 4 mill a year and turn him lose behind what should be a revamped line.

Lexwhat
01-16-2015, 10:22 PM
I think we should get into the Demarco Murray sweepsteaks and tell Spiller adios. I'd give Murray more than 4 mill a year and turn him lose behind what should be a revamped line.

Agree with this. In general, I would like to re-sign Spiller, but if Murray (or even Mark Ingram) would come for about the same price, I would pay them instead. They are more versatile, better blockers, and can become # 1 backs once Fred Jackson retires.

With that being said, if I was Murray or Ingram (or Ray Rice/Peterson) -- I would rather go play for a contender that has a bigger need at RB than we do. There are a lot of options, such as Indianapolis, Arizona, Detroit, Atlanta, or New England. Most of those teams will be serious Super Bowl contenders with an upgrade at RB.

Night Train
01-17-2015, 04:57 AM
Spiller is Reggie Bush. Situational and somewhat brittle. 5-11 195 is not big $$. RB's are so easy to find.

YardRat
01-17-2015, 05:42 AM
Agree with this. In general, I would like to re-sign Spiller, but if Murray (or even Mark Ingram) would come for about the same price, I would pay them instead. They are more versatile, better blockers, and can become # 1 backs once Fred Jackson retires.

With that being said, if I was Murray or Ingram (or Ray Rice/Peterson) -- I would rather go play for a contender that has a bigger need at RB than we do. There are a lot of options, such as Indianapolis, Arizona, Detroit, Atlanta, or New England. Most of those teams will be serious Super Bowl contenders with an upgrade at RB.

I agree also, but this is where Sexy Rexy is supposed to be handy...bowl over potential FA's and convince them with his sparkling personality that Buffalo is a contender, and the best fit.

pmoon6
01-17-2015, 06:33 AM

With that being said, if I was Murray or Ingram (or Ray Rice/Peterson) -- I would rather go play for a contender that has a bigger need at RB than we do. There are a lot of options, such as Indianapolis, Arizona, Detroit, Atlanta, or New England. Most of those teams will be serious Super Bowl contenders with an upgrade at RB.Agree on Murray and Ingram, but I don't think with their legal troubles and public black eyes that Rice or Peterson can afford to be picky.

coastal
01-17-2015, 07:02 AM
Who here thinks CJ can spell "Jets"?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Who here thinks CJ can spell "Jets"?

Where did people this idea that CJ was dumb?

YardRat
01-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Where did people this idea that CJ was dumb?

Maybe from being in the league for four years and still not being able to hit a hole, pick up a blitz, or block? Just a guess....

Strongman
01-17-2015, 12:46 PM
I'd like to see them draft SC's Mike Davis if he's there in the 3rd. He seems like a younger Frank Gore clone.

Mr. Miyagi
01-18-2015, 01:12 AM
No no no no no

BertSquirtgum
01-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Peace out CJ. You ****ing blow. Another awful first round pick in a gross long list of first round pics.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Maybe from being in the league for four years and still not being able to hit a hole, pick up a blitz, or block? Just a guess....

If playing halfback was about intelligence, explain Travis Henry.

YardRat
01-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Well, if there's one thing you can't say about Henry it's that he didn't know how to hit a hole.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Well, if there's one thing you can't say about Henry it's that he didn't know how to hit a hole.

Yes, and the guy was rock stupid. Being bad at running back doesn't mean someone is dumb, it's not a position based on book smarts.

YardRat
01-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Yes, and the guy was rock stupid. Being bad at running back doesn't mean someone is dumb, it's not a position based on book smarts.

It does require football smarts, though, and in the context of professional football that equates to intelligence. Jim Kelly certainly wasn't book smart either, but on the field he was one of the most intelligent QB's of his era.

Spiller may be very well read, and intelligent, by normal standards for all we know...football intelligence? Not so much.

swiper
01-18-2015, 09:27 AM
If playing halfback was about intelligence, explain Willis McGahee.

Fixed for you.

better days
01-18-2015, 09:29 AM

I don't think YardRat was talking about the hole in the los.

Nicely played YardRat.

YardRat
01-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I was hoping someone would 'get' it.

black N yellow
01-18-2015, 06:29 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jets finalizing Cardinals LB coach Mike Caldwell as an assistant head coach. Sounds like Chan Gailey might not be a slam dunk as their OC</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/556972539332026369">January 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jimbuktu
01-18-2015, 07:07 PM

can't believe so many missed it! good stuff.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I don't think YardRat was talking about the hole in the los.

Nicely played YardRat.

d'oh