PDA

View Full Version : Interior OL - A Major Focus This Off-Season

Night Train
01-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Yes, I know. Duh.... Bills scouts were seen talking to B.J. Finney C/G of Kansas St. this week at the Shrine practices.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24965202/shrine-game-five-prospects-who-created-buzz-among-nfl-scouts

Can't wait to see the Senior Bowl drills next week on NFLN. I'm sure the Bills scouts are making a deep list for interior OL.

I realize FA may solve some of this concern but it's a bidding process. The draft is a more likely avenue.

The running game should be elevated under Roman and Pears/Urbik/Williams don't look to be helping this idea. Richardson was a rookie last year and could benefit from some actual coaching (footwork) but is very strong and can pancake block DT's in the running game (showed that at Baylor), so there is still upside.

Outside of the obvious QB need, interior OL is the clear #2. Hope to see 2-3 more added.

X-Era
01-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Yes, I know. Duh.... Bills scouts were seen talking to B.J. Finney C/G of Kansas St. this week at the Shrine practices.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24965202/shrine-game-five-prospects-who-created-buzz-among-nfl-scouts

Can't wait to see the Senior Bowl drills next week on NFLN. I'm sure the Bills scouts are making a deep list for interior OL.

I realize FA may solve some of this concern but it's a bidding process. The draft is a more likely avenue.

The running game should be elevated under Roman and Pears/Urbik/Williams don't look to be helping this idea. Richardson was a rookie last year and could benefit from some actual coaching (footwork) but is very strong and can pancake block DT's in the running game (showed that at Baylor), so there is still upside.

Outside of the obvious QB need, interior OL is the clear #2. Hope to see 2-3 more added.Due dilligence. I think we will add someone from FA over the draft. We have young prospects.

Night Train
01-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Due dilligence. I think we will add someone from FA over the draft. We have young prospects.

Richardson (maybe) and ? I'm talking Guard/Center. Thinking our 2nd round pick last year may be a bust but we'll see. They moved him to Guard. He's got 1 camp to prove otherwise.

justasportsfan
01-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Richardson (maybe) and ? I'm talking Guard/Center. Thinking our 2nd round pick last year may be a bust but we'll see. They moved him to Guard. He's got 1 camp to prove otherwise.

Hard to tell who's a bust since Marrone got involved with the O.

YardRat
01-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Finney's a decent prospect. Would love to see them go G in FA and C in the draft. I'm really rooting for KuJo to find a spot on the team.

stuckincincy
01-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Finney's a decent prospect. Would love to see them go G in FA and C in the draft. I'm really rooting for KuJo to find a spot on the team.

Wisconsin seems to be a good place to look for Ols in the draft.

Night Train
01-17-2015, 03:26 PM
In the 2nd Quarter.

C Finney looks stout. Stones everyone and has good technique.
OG John Miller of Louisville really moves his man out.
Both lineman show great strength.
They look like good prospects to potentially start on Sunday.

Night Train
01-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Miller caught the eye of Mayock. Road grader label means we like. 4 year starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459324/article/10-players-who-impressed-mayock-at-shrine-game-practices

Generalissimus Gibby
01-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Hopefully we get quality players and not Marv's millionaires (2007 anyone?).

Night Train
01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Finney now starting the 3rd quarter at RG.

cookie G
01-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Mayock was talking up John Miller a bit, but it was deserved. Very solid job on the right side, both in run blocking and pass pro.

Finney...for the 1st 2 series, I dont' think he touched anyone in pass pro. He jsut stood up and moved his head from side to side.

Haven't been impressed with any of the QB's so far.

Night Train
01-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Mayock was talking up John Miller a bit, but it was deserved. Very solid job on the right side, both in run blocking and pass pro.

Finney...for the 1st 2 series, I dont' think he touched anyone in pass pro. He jsut stood up and moved his head from side to side.

Haven't been impressed with any of the QB's so far.

Finney stood up the DT's a few times and they went nowhere. He came out and the opposing interior pressure suddenly appeared.

swiper
01-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Hard to tell who's a bust since Marrone got involved with the O.

Right. It seems that those suspicious that Marrone was holding certain guys back in a power struggle with the GM were right. One thing that you will likely see is some guys already on the roster will rise up and produce under the new coaches.

Night Train
01-24-2015, 05:33 PM
My list of Interior OL players I would be pleased to see drafted by the Bills. These guys could be starters sooner than later.

OG A.J. Cann - South Carolina - 6-3 311
OG Tre Jackson - Fla. St. - 6-4 323
OG Laken Tomlinson - Duke - 6-3 323
OG John Miller - Louisville - 6-3 325
OG Adam Shead - Oklahoma - 6-4 339
C/G B.J. Finney - Kansas St.- 6-4 324
C/G Shaq Mason - Georgia Tech - 6-2 310
C/G Max Garcia - Florida - 6-5 305

The first 4 are Round 2-3 types. The last 4 are Round 4-7 types. I don't care about their measurables. I care about their ability on the field.

If the Bills can't sign one of the top OG's in FA, I do see very real options in this draft. Solid group of interior lineman with ability.

YardRat
01-24-2015, 05:38 PM
I like Jackson and Finney too.

BillsImpossible
01-24-2015, 05:52 PM
If the Bills can't sign one of the top OG's in FA, I do see very real options in this draft. Solid group of interior lineman with ability.

Ryan is head coach and Roman is OC, so signing one of the top guards available shouldn't be a problem, but does the team want to spend $7 million on a guard?

I'd rather spend $7 million on Wisniewski, move Wood to guard and draft Jeremiah Poutasi in the 3rd round.