• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

State study focuses on three Buffalo sites for Bills stadium

The three best new sites for a Buffalo Bills stadium are all on the fringes of downtown Buffalo, according to a long-awaited report commissioned by New York State. The study also identifies a major renovation of Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park – or construction of a replacement next door – as viable possibilities without the potential for economic spin-off offered at the city sites.

A site east of First Niagara Center in the Cobblestone District and a site at the northeast corner of Exchange Street and Michigan Avenue made the shortlist, as did a location to the southeast of the South Park Avenue-Louisiana Street intersection along the Buffalo River in South Buffalo.
    Because of natural lighting issues, though, only a domed stadium would likely meet NFL requirements at the Cobblestone site, whereas either a dome or an open-air stadium would work at the other two city sites, said a source who was involved in compiling the study.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: State study focuses on three Buffalo sites for Bills stadium

The study estimates the cost of the Cobblestone domed stadium to be $787.6 million.

A similar stadium at the Exchange Street site would cost $784.6 million, while a domed facility at South Park would cost $911.9 million, due in large part to the higher site development costs there. Building an open-air stadium at either Exchange Street or South Park would reduce those costs by $188.6 million.

Meanwhile, renovating Ralph Wilson Stadium to modern NFL standards would cost $554.9 million, thanks largely to the fact that much of the seating bowl would probably have to be replaced.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I have to admit I was wrong, and surprised, that the state study didn't favor the current location in OP. Must be they are more willing to pony up public bucks than I would have guessed.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

A downtown location was always the priority, with the hockey arena and Pegula's Harbor Center close by. If you haven't been downtown in that area, please don't comment from a fake base of knowledge. Restaurants, breweries and bars popping up all over in that area. There is a reason for those 3 locations.

It could still be OP next to the current stadium but i'd be surprised. The only issue canceling out downtown could be parking but we'll see.

Downtown is automatic dome. OP is 50/50 but probably a dome. You can get far more use out of it.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

It seems development was a bigger factor than expense. Which makes sense.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Time for a lot of new hotels downtown.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I'm a big fan of what Cleveland did with Jacobs and Quicken, but the Cobblestone option looks too cramped for football. I'm liking Exchange Street or South Park.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

Does it really have to be a dome? I'm thinking, level the biggest ghetto in Buffalo and build it there. Kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  I'm a big fan of what Cleveland did with Jacobs and Quicken, but the Cobblestone option looks too cramped for football. I'm liking Exchange Street or South Park.
                  Exchange Street looks like the smallest lot.

South Park looks like the winner to me.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                    Does it really have to be a dome?
                    Go to Cleveland for a December game, then tell me how great an idea it was to build an open air stadium right on the water. That was the worst idea ever.

Dome.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Pouring any more money down the Orchard Park sink hole site would be criminal.

The only reason the stadium was built there in the first place was to "save money", which, in the end, cost the county more than they supposedly "saved" when they breached the contract with Mr. Cottrell.

If they go down that road of making decisions to "save money" it will be a monumentally devastating mistake and lost opportunity to further stabilize the financial future of the Bills in BUFFALO, and encourage a much needed re-invention of downtown Buffalo started by Mr. Pegula.

It's the difference between investing for the future of throwing money down a money pit of the past.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        I have to admit I was wrong, and surprised, that the state study didn't favor the current location in OP. Must be they are more willing to pony up public bucks than I would have guessed.
                        The opportunities for kickbacks, palm-greasing, campaign contributions, the connected insiders being able to buy up residential and small business property on the cheap and selling it high, and the like are enhanced by an urban siting. The Buffalo political machine would be rubbing their foreparts together like a fly contemplating fresh dog doo.

Side note: with an urban setting, you can likely kiss goodbye to tailgating as it exists now.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

I'm sticking by my assertion from over a year ago that it will be the South Park site. They flipped the parking and the stadium on me, but it's exactly where I've been told all along that it's going to be--Perry Street Projects.

I thought the Stadium would be on the footprint of the projects and the parking would be where Conway Park is, rather than the other way around, but it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

This site, according to the study, provides for the best surrounding area development. Why even do this (move it downtown), if not to spur development?

I just hope that ST. Terry of Pegulaville (and I call him this with reverence, not sarcasm) pushes for a retractable.

Indoor football is horrendous. It should be outlawed.

This was my mockup from last year:

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                            I'm sticking by my assertion from over a year ago that it will be the South Park site. They flipped the parking and the stadium on me, but it's exactly where I've been told all along that it's going to be--Perry Street Projects.

I thought the Stadium would be on the footprint of the projects and the parking would be where Conway Park is, rather than the other way around, but it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

This site, according to the study, provides for the best surrounding area development. Why even do this (move it downtown), if not to spur development?

I just hope that ST. Terry of Pegulaville (and I call him this with reverence, not sarcasm) pushes for a retractable.

Indoor football is horrendous. It should be outlawed.

This was my mockup from last year:

They will have to face dealing with putting up such a massive structure so close to the Buffalo waterfront. So much of the area has been filled in (and removed) through the centuries, and measures have to be found as to how to build with the underlying geology.

The current OP site has the geology issues resolved, has the access infrastructure settled, doesn't have to deal with new property acquisition ,likely doesn't have neighborhood objections and lawsuits to deal with. A South Park siting is appealing, but overcoming the hurdles will be costly.

Of course, if Pegula will foot the bill for his place of business...
                            Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-18-2015, 12:59 PM.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                              Escaped Convict
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                              They will have to face dealing with putting up such a massive structure so close to the Buffalo waterfront. So much of the area has been filled in (and removed) through the centuries, and measures have to be found as to how to build with the underlying geology..
                              That's why I my original thought was that flipping the parking with the stadium would be a better fit. But this study may have taken that into consideration.

There will be issues with any location, but Downtown has the most upside for Pegula, and I think he will make it so.
                              Last edited by WagonCircler; 01-18-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X