PDA

View Full Version : Doug Marrone’s Failed Power Play

Meathead
01-18-2015, 08:01 AM
There’s not much doubt anymore. Doug Marrone thought he was ballin’, and ended up fallin’. This is not how he drew it up when he doubled down on his rising stock within the coaching industry. This isn’t where he thought he’d be two weeks after shocking the Bills. He thought he’d be BMOC, waving to the pretty co-eds, and winking at the teachers in his letterman jacket. Nope. Instead, Saint Doug is Ain’t Doug.

Bugs Bunny used to call dopey Elmer Fudd “a maroon.” Maybe we should now call him a Marrone

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2015/01/15/da-doug-marrones-failed-power-play/

DynaPaul
01-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Looks like he's only going to get a nepotism job with his buddy O'Brien as some kind of consultant. That's a hard fall.

Skooby
01-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Looks like he's only going to get a nepotism job with his buddy O'Brien as some kind of consultant. That's a hard fall.

I'm starting to feel sympathetic.

YardRat
01-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Ouch.

djjimkelly
01-18-2015, 10:50 AM
he made his bed and i truly think he was a bad head coach the worst since the superbowl to walk the bills sideline

naw maybe jauron was worse but its a close call

BertSquirtgum
01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
he made his bed and i truly think he was a bad head coach the worst since the superbowl to walk the bills sideline

naw maybe jauron was worse but its a close call

Nope. Jauron was better.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Nope. Jauron was better.

Couldnt agree more. This team is way more talented than any of the jauron teams and it's not even close.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 11:45 AM

The 4 million buck payout he got oughta cushion the blow... :dance2:

BertSquirtgum
01-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Why does everyone keep saying that? Its not going to cushion anything when he doesn't get another job in anything other than high school football.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Why does everyone keep saying that? Its not going to cushion anything when he doesn't get another job in anything other than high school football.

sure it is. 4 million can and will go a long way as long as you invest it wisely, etc. it'll take care of him and his family for a long time.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 12:16 PM

That 4M is on top of the 8M he got for his 2 years of HC in BUF. Don't you think that being age 50 and getting paid 12 million over less than three years is a nice situation to be in? Add in the pile he made from his 4 years with Syracuse and the 5 pages of college contract perks.

I'd say he's rolling in it, and could retire on the spot. And I'm pretty sure there is some college somewhere will offer him a measly mid to high six-figure contract plus the perks or some such, which should fill the need for his daily pocket loot.

:air:

BertSquirtgum
01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
It's only going to be 2 million after NYS takes their percentage. I'm sure Marrone is accustomed a different way of life as opposed to us middle class. I don't believe his 2 million is going to keep him happy for the remainder of his life as it would for any of us.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-coaches/doug-marrone-net-worth/

Strongman
01-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Marrone is as good as finished in the NFL. If a team brought him in, there could very well be a mini revolt in the locker room. At the very least it woud be bad for morale so they'll steer clear of him. I'd be surprised if he even lands the Houston job his pal O'Brien wants to give him. The Texans front office will probably tell him to don't even consider it.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 01:06 PM
It's only going to be 2 million after NYS takes their percentage. I'm sure Marrone is accustomed a different way of life as opposed to us middle class. I don't believe his 2 million is going to keep him happy for the remainder of his life as it would for any of us.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-coaches/doug-marrone-net-worth/

Using your 50% tax hit, That would be 6 million net after his 2 years of earned salary and the payout. In his pocket. After taxation. Plus the cash he earned as a college coach, as well as earnings from before that.

I foresee the remainder of his life as being quite comfortable.

sudzy
01-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Only if he wants to retire from being a HC after 2 years, when he didn't really accomplish anything. Even he must realize he probably will not get another shot, now. I can't believe that sits well with that huge ego.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm not quite clear why anyone is fretting over the fate of a 50 year old multi millionaire...

:gossips:

Goobylal
01-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Not to mention he made $8M during his first 2 years.

Novacane
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Money does not=happiness Cincy. Sure he could disappear and have plenty of money to live comfortably but if he wanted to retire why is he interviewing for other jobs? I don't care how much money he has. If he doesn't get back in the league as a HC quitting on the Bills is going to eat at him for the rest of his life.

HHURRICANE
01-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Refusing to interview in Denver just proved he doesn't get it.

He's Mularkey 2.0.

He's arrogant and stupid.

Strongman
01-18-2015, 02:15 PM
I'm not quite clear why anyone is fretting over the fate of a 50 year old multi millionaire...

:gossips:

For me, it's not really about him. I think it's pretty crappy what his selfish actions did to his coaching staff and their families. He gets a payday while others on his staff get hurt. For example, someone like Hackett who has a young family. Hackett might be a crappy OC, but I don't think he and his family deserved Marrone quitting and leaving them to hang out to dry like that.

feldspar
01-18-2015, 02:19 PM
Doug Marrone thought he was ballin’, and ended up fallin’.

I was up in the air before, but not that I find out it rhymes, you are right...there can no longer be any doubt.

I used to think that lifting weights just hurt...until they told me "No pain, no gain." That's when I just knew it was really beneficial.

Meathead
01-18-2015, 03:33 PM
imagine if youre dougs wife, what do you say?

nice try though, honey

YardRat
01-18-2015, 03:54 PM
imagine if youre dougs wife, what do you say?

"Half of $4million is $2million, right?"

notacon
01-18-2015, 05:31 PM

Using your 50% tax hit, That would be 6 million net after his 2 years of earned salary and the payout. In his pocket. After taxation. Plus the cash he earned as a college coach, as well as earnings from before that.

I foresee the remainder of his life as being quite comfortable.

There is no "50% tax hit"...not even close. That is a huge myth.

In any event, your points are well taken. Marrone has little financial worries.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Money does not=happiness Cincy. Sure he could disappear and have plenty of money to live comfortably but if he wanted to retire why is he interviewing for other jobs? I don't care how much money he has. If he doesn't get back in the league as a HC quitting on the Bills is going to eat at him for the rest of his life.

Thanks for the patronizing comment about money doesn't equal happiness. Never heard that one before... :whistle:

I can almost guarantee you that nothing is eating at Marrone. Today's coaches in the main whore themselves to the highest bidder, college and pro, and knowing full well that they are firmly ensconced in the old boys' club, another gig will be on the horizon. Some local color: Univ. of Cincinnati HC Mark Dantonio bolted before a bowl game for Michigan State. Brian Kelly dumped them to go to ND before their championship game against Florida. Their current coach, Tommie Tuberville, told the Texas Tech crowd that he was committed to them and a couple of hours left for Ohio.

I don't think that introspection, remorse, ethics are things that today's coaches can be accused of having. The jingle in the pocket trumps all...

Novacane
01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the patronizing comment about money doesn't equal happiness. Never heard that one before... :whistle:

I can almost guarantee you that nothing is eating at Marrone. Today's coaches in the main whore themselves to the highest bidder, college and pro, and knowing full well that they are firmly ensconced in the old boys' club, another gig will be on the horizon. Some local color: Univ. of Cincinnati HC Mark Dantonio bolted before a bowl game for Michigan State. Brian Kelly dumped them to go to ND before their championship game against Florida. Their current coach, Tommie Tuberville, told the Texas Tech crowd that he was committed to them and a couple of hours left for Ohio.

I don't think that introspection, remorse, ethics are things that coaches can be accused of having. The jingle in the pocket trumps all...

And I can almost guarantee the arrogant ass thought he'd get another HC job this year. Neither one of us can prove it so whoop de doo!

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 06:41 PM
And I can almost guarantee the arrogant ass thought he'd get another HC job this year. Neither one of us can prove it so whoop de doo!

I'll give you arrogance - that's the guiding principle of sports. I think he was surprised that he got tapped by a NFL team to be a HC, smelled the coffee, cashed in, and knows that even if he is never called again to the pros, he will get another gig be it assistant or in the college ranks.

Don't discount the college cash, and the perks. Years ago, the local n'paper here got hold of then UC HC Brian Kelly's contract, and they published it. Above and beyond the $, it looked like the only perk he didn't get was them hiring someone to show up with a Q-tip to clean out his toe jam.

And coaching at the college level is tops, in a half-way big program. All the bennies, and you don't have to deal with millionaire nutcase wrs hiding behind union skirts, just a large population of hormone-full kids. Your biggest headache is licking the fannies of recruits and their families and alumni donors who demand their vicarious jollies.

Novacane
01-18-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm not even arguing the financial issue. He's set for life. I realize that. I'm just glad he's not getting another NFL HC job. He's a guy we know is super sensitive to what people say about him. This has to be a big shot to his ego.

Goobylal
01-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Refusing to interview in Denver just proved he doesn't get it.

He's Mularkey 2.0.

He's arrogant and stupid.
True. It would have given him more practice for his awful interviewing skills. But he wasn't getting the job so he pulled out.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm not even arguing the financial issue. He's set for life. I realize that. I'm just glad he's not getting another NFL HC job. He's a guy we know is super sensitive to what people say about him. This has to be a big shot to his ego.

How is it a big shot to his ego? He was the one who got the opt-out clause included in his contract with BUF, and he is the one who invoked it. Which I think he did because he thought he was going to get the Mike Mularkey treatment. Whatever shots one wants to toss Marrone's way, there is something fundamentally wrong with a franchise that is averaging a new HC every 2 years since 2000, with a franchise that garners only two winning season over that span. I think he correctly smelled the kind of coffee served up by the Bills' organization, hence the opt out clause.

Novacane
01-18-2015, 07:31 PM
He thought he'd take the Bills 4 mill and get another 4-5 mill to coach another team. He was wrong. He'll probably never get another job that pays him 4 mill a year.

stuckincincy
01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
He thought he'd take the Bills 4 mill and get another 4-5 mill to coach another team. He was wrong. He'll probably never get another job that pays him 4 mill a year.

Neither will I.

Zero
01-18-2015, 08:55 PM
There’s not much doubt anymore. Doug Marrone thought he was ballin’, and ended up fallin’. This is not how he drew it up when he doubled down on his rising stock within the coaching industry. This isn’t where he thought he’d be two weeks after shocking the Bills. He thought he’d be BMOC, waving to the pretty co-eds, and winking at the teachers in his letterman jacket. Nope. Instead, Saint Doug is Ain’t Doug.

Bugs Bunny used to call dopey Elmer Fudd “a maroon.” Maybe we should now call him a Marrone

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2015/01/15/da-doug-marrones-failed-power-play/

This from someone who commented on the above article :

"This is a post from someone who knows exactly what happened the day Marrone "resigned". Marrone tried to ask for an extension- and threw in a half hearted attempt for an extension for his coaches (which came across as more of a weak attempt to appear loyal to all the coaches he dooped into following him to Buffalo). When his requests were met with resistance- he literally announced is resignation and walked out of the building. Less then an hour went by, when the phone rang at One Bills Drive- it was Marrone. "Now that I'm officially a free agent, I would like to officially begin the process of negotiating my new deal" Ownership/Management were shocked at first that he walked out- and were completely disgusted that he called back. Marrone was told after about a two min discussion between the leaders of the Bills- that the team was no longer in need of his services. The pagula's refused to be blackmailed by Marrone, and calmly put their foot down. I was proud to see the Owners/leaders practicing what they have been preaching - One team in Lock-step with one another. Marrone thought he was above the rest- and now everyone knows what happens to self-serving jerks. And for the record- everyone loved having Schwartz in Buffalo- wonderful hard working coach..Even his assistant coaches worked their tails off for this Organization.. The fact that Marrone basically "sold out" on all of his coaches speaks volumes of Marrons Complete lack of character.. What goes around comes around- Who in their rite mind would hire this guy- or choose to come join his staff... Career Suicide...Good Luck Marrone. Welcome Coach Rex!!! "

Ive heard this is pretty much how things went down...

harmonkoz
01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
If he ends up getting Oline job in Jacksonville as this article (http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/19/7852713/adam-gase-jaguars-doug-marrone-greg-olson-offensive-staff) surmises, hell he will be set with his dream job!

better days
01-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Neither will I.

Navacane said Marrone will probably never get ANOTHER job that pays him 4 mill a year.

In other words he did have a job that did pay him that 4 mill at one time.

So you are saying you had a job that paid you $4 Mill a year?

jamze132
01-19-2015, 04:06 PM
In regards to Denver, he knew he wasn't tetting it so why even bother? Still funny though.

Novacane
01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
This from someone who commented on the above article :

"This is a post from someone who knows exactly what happened the day Marrone "resigned". Marrone tried to ask for an extension- and threw in a half hearted attempt for an extension for his coaches (which came across as more of a weak attempt to appear loyal to all the coaches he dooped into following him to Buffalo). When his requests were met with resistance- he literally announced is resignation and walked out of the building. Less then an hour went by, when the phone rang at One Bills Drive- it was Marrone. "Now that I'm officially a free agent, I would like to officially begin the process of negotiating my new deal" Ownership/Management were shocked at first that he walked out- and were completely disgusted that he called back. Marrone was told after about a two min discussion between the leaders of the Bills- that the team was no longer in need of his services. The pagula's refused to be blackmailed by Marrone, and calmly put their foot down. I was proud to see the Owners/leaders practicing what they have been preaching - One team in Lock-step with one another. Marrone thought he was above the rest- and now everyone knows what happens to self-serving jerks. And for the record- everyone loved having Schwartz in Buffalo- wonderful hard working coach..Even his assistant coaches worked their tails off for this Organization.. The fact that Marrone basically "sold out" on all of his coaches speaks volumes of Marrons Complete lack of character.. What goes around comes around- Who in their rite mind would hire this guy- or choose to come join his staff... Career Suicide...Good Luck Marrone. Welcome Coach Rex!!! "

Ive heard this is pretty much how things went down...

If this is really what happen he's a bigger idiot than I ever imagined!