PDA

View Full Version : Buscaglia : How do ufa's fit with Rex/Roman

Mace
01-19-2015, 06:19 PM
A good read : http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=451033

I'd only disagree with Lee Smith. Loudly and fiercely, unless they give him a different number and call him a fullback.

DraftBoy
01-19-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't agree with his comments about Hughes.

Mace
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't agree with his comments about Hughes.

Not sure how, comparing him with Mario last 2 years just via stats has him looking about how Buscaglia says ?

The Jokeman
01-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Not sure how, comparing him with Mario last 2 years just via stats has him looking about how Buscaglia says ?

Hughes could easily play "LB" in the mold of Coples and/or Pace/Babin has played with the Jets did last year and I think he's a more complete player than the other three.

Mace
01-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Hughes could easily play "LB" in the mold of Coples and/or Pace/Babin has played with the Jets did last year and I think he's a more complete player than the other three.

Well yeah, unless DraftBoy is saying "sign at all costs". Hughes already did in 2013 as I mentioned. I don't see any negatives with Hughes besides prohibitive cost in relation to re-signing Dareus next year.

The Jokeman
01-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Well yeah, unless DraftBoy is saying "sign at all costs". Hughes already did in 2013 as I mentioned. I don't see any negatives with Hughes besides prohibitive cost in relation to re-signing Dareus next year.

There's talk the 2015 cap could be close to $160M in 2016 http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/ compared to the $142-$145M it's expected to be this year. Which should be plenty of enough space to re-sign Dareus. Of course one could argue signing Hughes might restrict us from re-signing Glenn in 2016 but then would think could it 2016 be the year we shift Henderson to LT and Kujo starts at RT?

Mace
01-19-2015, 07:51 PM
There's talk the 2015 cap could be close to $160M in 2016 http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/ compared to the $142-$145M it's expected to be this year. Which should be plenty of enough space to re-sign Dareus. Of course one could argue signing Hughes might restrict us from re-signing Glenn in 2016 but then would think could it 2016 be the year we shift Henderson to LT and Kujo starts at RT?

Then it still leads me back to wondering what Draftboy didn't agree with....

The Jokeman
01-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Then it still leads me back to wondering what Draftboy didn't agree with....

I'm thinking Draftboy agrees with the thought Hughes can play a part in Ryan's hybrid defense and should be signed as long as it's a fair contract. I've been saying the same most of the offseason that a $10m per year contract is the going rate for a guy of his skill and should be the type of deal we should be looking to retain him with. Of course if he commands offers above that then we have to pass as it prevent us at looking at other needs this offseason. As to me I think the need for a TE is as important as is re-signing Hughes and finding at least 1 OG.

Mace
01-19-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm thinking Draftboy agrees with the thought Hughes can play a part in Ryan's hybrid defense and should be signed as long as it's a fair contract.

But Buscaglia said he should be signed as long as it's a fair contract ?

The Bills will likely be a multiple front, and now that Hughes has proven himself against the run,his playing time would stay about the same. He’ll need to work on coverage, but Hughes is a fit for both schemes. If the money is right, the Bills should not hesitate.

The Jokeman
01-19-2015, 08:15 PM
OH I just re-read Draftboy saying he doesn't. Not sure what he means unless he thinks Hughes is going to be breaking the bank.

Night Train
01-20-2015, 03:28 AM
I like Hughes but he vanished the last 5-6 games. The other 3 guys are the studs which free up the pass rusher.

Don't break the bank on him because Lawson, Kiko, Randall Johnson and others can come off that end in the Rex scheme and provide pressure. Wynn will get snaps and should be re-signed although he's a different type of player.

YardRat
01-20-2015, 04:26 AM
I don't agree with Hughes, Spikes or Smith.

Moving back to a Ryan/Pettine scheme from Schwartz devalued Hughes worth to the team, he's not a read for rush, plug or cover, he struggles with coverage (as does Mario, actually). Give Hughes two responsibilities...rush the passer or chase the runner...adding coverage as a third just emphasizes his weakness. He may not have been worth $10mil in any scheme, but with Ryan he might not even be worth $7 or $8, and I doubt he settles for that.
Spikes is still a good fit for this D, better than Kiko on the inside, obviously for stopping the run. Doesn't matter if he still has the rep for 'only' a two-down backer, Ryan plays a lot more nickel and dime than Schwartz did and somebody will be coming off the field anyway. Need to keep the best run stuffer in the middle.
Smith isn't such a good blocker that he can't be upgraded.

DraftBoy
01-20-2015, 10:18 AM
My concern with Hughes is that in a 34 base he's just not ideal.

One of Hughes's best pass rush moves is his ability to dip and turn the corner. Part of that is because he stays so low off the snap that his initial position is one of leverage. He's actually one of the guys I would put on tape to teach young DE's how to fire low off the ball and get into the OL. However when you start him out of two point stance he loses that advantage and in this D when they go with a three man front (even in the 3-4 Under) he's going to be standing up which is not to his advantage.

He did do well in the Pettine scheme two years ago but I want to say (and I don't have numbers or a link to back me up on this) that the majority of his sacks and pressures came from when the Bills went to a four man front (nickel and dime) as opposed to a three man front. Rex seems (again I haven't pulled the formation breakdowns) to play his D a little different than Pettine by playing more base sets even against a 4 wide look. Maybe he tweaks that and goes to more four man fronts if they resign Hughes, but I don't agree he's just a fit because he did well under Pettine. Pettine made a pretty clear and conscious effort to use Hughes in situations where he would be most effective.

Pinkerton Security
01-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Lee Smith is a good blocker and thats it, but that fact alone could get him a minimal contract

The Jokeman
01-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Lee Smith is a good blocker and thats it, but that fact alone could get him a minimal contract

It's mind set like that leads to no improvement. If we want to upgrade Smith sign a guy like Jermaine Gresham who is a great blocker like Smith but a whole let better receiving option which can only improve the team.

EDS
01-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know what attributes Roman looks for in QBs? For example, does he prefer accuracy above all else, does he like a mobile QB, etc.

The Jokeman
01-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know what attributes Roman looks for in QBs? For example, does he prefer accuracy above all else, does he like a mobile QB, etc.

If you look at the QBs he worked with in San Francisco: Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Blaine Gabbert and Joshua Johnson the group looks more athletic/mobile than pure pocket passers.