PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Are Going To Draft A Running Back, I Really Like Mike Davis

BillsImpossible
01-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Ground and pound, with a passing twist.

Fix the run first, then worry about the pass.

If a team can't run, the pass does not matter.

Best way to fix the offensive line is by drafting the future franchise running back.

What running back do you like in the 2015 NFL Draft?

On WGR this morning I heard Joe Buscaglia say that the Bills leading rusher in 2015 is currently not on the roster.

I don't think CJ Spiller will be on the team next year, he's too much of a liability in the blocking department.

Fred Jackson is likely entering his last year in the NFL.

Boobie and Brown will battle for a roster spot.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015RB.php

Todd Gurley is the best running back in the draft, but will likely be gone by the time the Bills are on the clock in the 2nd round.

Melvin Gordon is an interesting prospect who is also projected to be drafted in the 1st round.

The running back that stands out the most to me when thinking about the future of the Bills offense is Mike Davis.

Davis is a very physical, powerful downhill runner that can catch the ball too. Reminds me of Frank Gore with great hands.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JB0ihG5Ewms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Running backs that can be used as passing weapons is underutilized in the NFL, surprisingly.

Thurman Thomas caught a lot of passes. When's the last time you saw an NFL running back catch so many passes?

It is very rare to have a running back with excellent running and catching abilities.

Mike Davis has both.

Ground, pound, and pass too.

Strongman
01-22-2015, 07:56 PM
I like him too. He looks like a powerful runner and with that frame he'd be hard to bring down. He seems to have a good initial cut also. He looks stronger than Gore. He almost reminds me of Travis Henry in some ways as well (hopefully without the off the field problems)

Mr. Pink
01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
There are scouts who question his work ethic, conditioning and focus...

Not too exciting of a pick, probably someone who will be had around the 5th round.

I'd expect him to not play very long over being an integral part of any team's offense.

YardRat
01-23-2015, 04:06 AM
The best way to fix the offensive line is to fix the offensive line. Hopefully a FA, another draft pick, the current youngsters and a new coach will do just that.

I like TJ Yeldon better, but guess I could settle for Davis as a consolation prize. Have to admit I haven't seen him play that much, how are his blocking skills and can he pick up blitzes?

swiper
01-23-2015, 04:16 AM
It's really a hard pill to swallow every time I have to watch Marshawn Lynch run over a bunch of people. As much as I love Fred Jackson, Lynch alone is better than Spiller, Dixon, and Brown put together.

Night Train
01-23-2015, 04:28 AM
He is a Frank Gore type (Roman would like that) and has a 3rd round grade. Talented and tough, no question.

But if they don't fix the OG slots, none of this will matter. That's what I've been concentrating on during the Shrine and Senior Bowl weeks. I still think RB's are easy to find in FA and on draft Saturday (rounds 4-7).

IF they can't sign one of the big name Guards in FA, they better draft 2 early draft weekend. Can't run without them and I see a few good ones that can be selected.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-23-2015, 06:09 AM
It all depends on what they accomplish in FA, but do bear in mind that they tried to draft one last year WITH Spiller/Jackson/Dixon in place. I don't think you can count on Brown being the solution. If I'm Whaley, my first route has to be finding a FA G who can play. A freshly picked 2nd round G is not nearly game ready as a rookie 2nd round RB.

Ideally, you expect to find two Tackles among Glenn, Henderson and Kouandjio. Wood at C. FA G. And then Williams/Rechardson/Urbik to fight for the other G position.

k-oneputt
01-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Davis, Yeldon, Duke Johnson, Artis-Payne any of these guys in the middle rds works.

Gurley is the only guy I would consider early, if healthy.

trapezeus
01-23-2015, 07:54 AM
my belief is the line isn't as bad as it seemed last year. i think they weren't coached at all and were left on an island. i would like to get aFA addition, but i don't think we need to go crazy in the draft.

if the line gets fixed with largely the guys we have an a FA pick up, (even if it's justone side that becomes very good), i think boobie, fred and brown can get through. it would be great to have a big name and new back in there, but it seems to me that we need the line to come together first.

SaviorEdwards
01-23-2015, 08:15 AM
If you want the next Thurman Thomas/Fred jackson type guy you have to go Ameer Abdullah. The B1G Conference by far had the best backs in the country last year...another one who has limitless potential in Tevin Coleman from Indiana. He is going to be All-Pro.

k-oneputt
01-23-2015, 08:40 AM
I like Abdullah. A little small though but guy is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Like your wr from OSU Devin Smith too.

HAMMER
01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Bryce Brown is a very good back, let him play.

trapezeus
01-23-2015, 08:59 AM

and if underinflating balls aren't a big deal but the patriot backs never fumble, get bryce brown an underinflated ball. he'll be king of the world.

Ed
01-23-2015, 09:34 AM
I still think they're going to re-sign Spiller, and if they do that it doesn't really make sense to draft a 5th RB. I think they'll bring in some undrafted guys to compete and possibly be on the PS, but I just don't see RB being a priority for this team. If CJ is gone though, then that would definitely change things.

Night Train
01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
After watching him the last 2 years, Spiller doesn't wish to run between the tackles anymore. Don't know if Roman would like his type. I bet he would prefer another Dixon type with a bit more speed.

SaviorEdwards
01-23-2015, 09:42 AM
I like Abdullah. A little small though but guy is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Like your wr from OSU Devin Smith too.

Thats a fair criticism and size can translate to injury very easy at the next level. I'm curious to see how Smith will translate to the NFL...he bailed Cardale out more than once in our National Championship run.

justasportsfan
01-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Eh, we have enough rb's on the roster. Would rather use the pick on OL

HAMMER
01-23-2015, 10:02 AM
and if underinflating balls aren't a big deal but the patriot backs never fumble, get bryce brown an underinflated ball. he'll be king of the world.

He had one bad fumble this year, which did cost us a trip to the playoffs.....

However I would bet any back in the league has that ball come out. It was a great play from behind by the defender where he was completely focused on knocking the ball out as he had no shot at the tackle.

trapezeus
01-23-2015, 11:39 AM
agreed, hammer on the one fumble, but his file out of philly was he wasn't a great ball control guy. i feel like i was going to have a heart attack on a bunch of his runs where he got the yards, but the ball was kind of loose in his "wing" so it wasn't in tight on his body.

i think he's servicable. i think the pressue of more backs puts the onus on him to keep focussing on keeping th eball in.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Get a great OL and cheap halfbacks will look great too. I'm ok drafting one in the 3rd this year.

BertSquirtgum
01-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Why? Just sign Demarco Murray

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Why? Just sign Demarco Murray

Not a good idea IMO. He's already injury-prone and Dallas just ran him into the dirt. Curse of 370 and all that.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2007/370-carries-revisited

Northern Stampede
01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Tyler Varga anyone?? I've coached against this kid here in Canada, and watched him play since his teen years, he was a phenom here, and looks like he has gotten better since then. Best player I've had the pleasure of witnessing at an early age HANDS DOWN, his work ethic is unreal and he is insanely smart, I've heard he has plans on becoming a surgeon after football, so we know he has the intelligence and study habits... You want ground and pound, he could be it, and he can break it too! Thoughts?

k-oneputt
01-23-2015, 12:55 PM
My thought is Canada.

Never heard of him but his competition level is obviously nothing like the states.

dasaybz
01-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I really like Yeldon, I would be thrilled if they picked him.

dasaybz
01-23-2015, 12:59 PM

Ya, he's actually not.

BillsImpossible
01-24-2015, 05:15 PM

I like Yeldon too, but he's 6'2.

Matt Forte is 6'2, but every other running back in the NFL is shorter.

Forte caught more passes in 2014 than any other running back in NFL history.

Only Matt Forte, Larry Centers, and LaDainian Tomlinson had 100 or more receptions in a season.

SaviorEdwards
01-24-2015, 10:24 PM

He's not even the best back on Alabama and he's injury prone. I'd be with you if you wanted Henry down the road.

YardRat
01-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Tyler Varga anyone?? I've coached against this kid here in Canada, and watched him play since his teen years, he was a phenom here, and looks like he has gotten better since then. Best player I've had the pleasure of witnessing at an early age HANDS DOWN, his work ethic is unreal and he is insanely smart, I've heard he has plans on becoming a surgeon after football, so we know he has the intelligence and study habits... You want ground and pound, he could be it, and he can break it too! Thoughts?

He had a very nice Senior Bowl, and will probably carve a decent career in the NFL for somebody as a situational back and special teamer. He seems like one of those guys that won't ever really find a full time roll as a #1 back or fullback, but can contribute some when called on. Also, it will probably be a short career, not much longer than it takes to get vested in the retirement program, if his real ambition is surgery...he's probably too smart to play the football card too long and will switch careers before risking long term damage.

YardRat
01-25-2015, 05:55 PM
He's not even the best back on Alabama and he's injury prone. I'd be with you if you wanted Henry down the road.

Yeah, he is the best back on Bama...a better receiver and blocker than Henry. Yeldon can be another Forte or FJax, Henry could be another Richardson.

Mr. Pink
01-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Yeah, he is the best back on Bama...a better receiver and blocker than Henry. Yeldon can be another Forte or FJax, Henry could be another Richardson.

Yeldon isn't even as good as Richardson.

Richardson was a better receiver, both run too upright and Yeldon has a bigger fumbling problem.

YardRat
01-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Richardson was a better receiver, both run too upright and Yeldon has a bigger fumbling problem.

Numbers aside, Yeldon is a better receiver just with the eye test...he's going to fit the pro game better than Richardson. Granted, he does run a little upright at times and has put the ball on the ground. Still think he'll translate to the NFL better than either Richardson or Henry, but we'll just to wait and see.

dasaybz
01-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Yeldon wasn't great this year, but he was phenomnal the prior 2 years. He's got terrific size and speed and can catch the ball. I think he'd be a great fit in the NFL. Don't be surprised if this is who the Bills have their eye on.

- - - Updated - - -

Richardson was a freaking stud in college, not many RBs were better than him.

starrymessenger
01-27-2015, 12:29 AM
The Hoosier Tevin Coleman. He da man. Rushed for 200 vs Buckeyes. Nuff said.
If we can land a guard in FA I would spend that 2nd on him - if he's still there.

BillsImpossible
01-27-2015, 06:20 PM
The Hoosier Tevin Coleman. He da man. Rushed for 200 vs Buckeyes. Nuff said.
If we can land a guard in FA I would spend that 2nd on him - if he's still there.

Dude is faster than the camera!

Coleman has outstanding field vision and is the fastest running back I've seen in a long time.

Joe Buscaglia today mentioned Tevin Coleman as his favorite back.

Enjoy the highlights:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VB1qk6yBvdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3hDMoVqxhNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBoy
01-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Thats a fair criticism and size can translate to injury very easy at the next level. I'm curious to see how Smith will translate to the NFL...he bailed Cardale out more than once in our National Championship run.

Smith has phenomenal speed but his routes are just bad. In the NFL he'll have a hard time separating if all he is going to run in the 9 route. Can he get over that and become more than Roscoe Parrish and Goodwin have ever been? That's the question.

His speed will likely get him over drafted.

DraftBoy
01-27-2015, 06:29 PM

Give me Henry over Yeldon all day every day. Just watch next season.

BillsImpossible
01-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Can somebody please whip out their I-phone and tell me what song this is?

Sounds like Daft Punk, but I've no idea what the name of the tune is.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3hDMoVqxhNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scartown
01-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Tevin Coleman please