PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams is excited to move back to LB

HHURRICANE
01-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Apparently he likes the 3-4 better!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462634/article/mario-williams-excited-to-move-back-to-linebacker

swiper
01-24-2015, 12:38 PM
So Fools Gold doesn't have to put his hand in the dirt. But which of Kyle Williams or Marcel Dareus plays NT? And where does the other guy play? The Bills D was effective when all four guys were there on the line.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-24-2015, 12:50 PM
So Fools Gold doesn't have to put his hand in the dirt. But which of Kyle Williams or Marcel Dareus plays NT? And where does the other guy play? The Bills D was effective when all four guys were there on the line.

Maybe neither? What sort of role does Ryan want for his NT, because if it's a Tony Siragusa type then he's not on the roster.

YardRat
01-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Ugh.

HHURRICANE
01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Trade Kyle bring in Suh.

better days
01-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Maybe neither? What sort of role does Ryan want for his NT, because if it's a Tony Siragusa type then he's not on the roster.

He may be before the season starts.

And Kyle & Marcel will both see plenty of playing time.

But Ithink Dareus could play NT if that is what Rex wants.

sudzy
01-24-2015, 03:24 PM

In the 4 years Marcell has been here he's played in a 3-4 twice. Him and Kyle have both play NT and DE. As far as which they are better at? Mario, Hughes, Kyle and Marcell combine for 40 sacks last year and 41 under Pettine's defense. The difference was LB play, which was helped with the addition of Spikes. I would have loved to keep Schwartz, but he's gone and I'm looking forward to Rex.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-24-2015, 05:18 PM
"In general that system gives you a lot more opportunities, a lot more advantages, different matchups, things like that," he said. "I think as far as schematically that hybrid defense, especially when it's coached well, and you got players to implement and plug into the places, I think gives you the best chance."

That's my feeling as well. With the talent we have - read, experienced talent - on D, we are not just to rely on raw one on one talent wins to beat you, we are going to make you think/hesitate for a second as well. Our secondary is not Jets secondary which is getting beat right away.

swiper
01-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Didn't Manny Lawson get used a lot more in the Pettine defense than the Schwartz defense?

YardRat
01-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Didn't Manny Lawson get used a lot more in the Pettine defense than the Schwartz defense?

Yes.

Night Train
01-24-2015, 05:57 PM
It's just talk. Take it at face value as a player that's excited with the arrival of Rex.

The Bills will be showing lots of hybrid 4-3, 3-4 looks and have enough depth at outside LB to rotate deep. (Kiko,Lawson,Rivers). They'll be moving guys all over to confuse QB's.

streetkings01
01-24-2015, 08:57 PM
73 tackles 4 sacks 1 int

EDS
01-25-2015, 01:46 PM

Judging by recent Jets defenses, Rex will want a big boy at nose tackle.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Judging by recent Jets defenses, Rex will want a big boy at nose tackle.

This is why it would not shock me they draft a DL this year - supposedly deep for DL. Wynn leaves via FA and the rookie becomes depth behind Kyle. Darius, Lawson start at DE, Charles maybe Bryant (if he sticks) rotate in. Kyle NT. Mario can freelance at OLB position.

casdhf
01-25-2015, 06:24 PM
No way can Lawson hold up as a DE in this scheme.

YardRat
01-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Lawson will line up at OLB, just like he did with Pettine. If he makes the team.

jimmifli
01-25-2015, 07:24 PM
This is why it would not shock me they draft a DL this year - supposedly deep for DL. Wynn leaves via FA and the rookie becomes depth behind Kyle. Darius, Lawson start at DE, Charles maybe Bryant (if he sticks) rotate in. Kyle NT. Mario can freelance at OLB position.

**** that. Why change if we need to spend expensive resources (draft pick) to just fit players to a scheme that when tried 2 seasons ago wasn't as good as what we had last year?

Our offense is putrid and needs help. Breaking the D and building it up again is pure stupid.

DraftBoy
01-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Why move Mario to OLB when we have seen a DL of Mario-Dareus-Williams be successful under Pettine? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also one of the reasons he left Houston was because he didn't want to play in a 3-4.

Don't Panic
01-25-2015, 07:59 PM
I really don't think Mario's role will change dramatically at all, especially after the snap. As for the NT piece, that may be what kept us from stopping the run effectively under Pettine - a legit big boy to clog the middle. I'd love to see Dareus, NT, Kyle with LBs rushing from who knows where. Whether its FA or the draft, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they bring a guy in here.