X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CommissarSpartacus
    • Mar 2003

Spygate

Since it appears obvious that most people don't know their asses from a hole in the ground when it comes to "Spygate" lets see if you guys have the courage to answer some questions.

First of all, is looking at the other team's sideline against the rules?

If an assistant coach comes to you as the HC and says "Coach, I've been watching the other team's DC and I've noticed that everytime he runs his hand trough his hair, it's a 2one, and when he drinks some gatoraid, it's man to man and when he scratches his ass, it's a blit2. Do you want me to tell our coaches and qb?", would you say...

1. "Great job son, we'll keep an eye on it", or....

2. "No, don't tell them and forget what you saw. It's against the intent of the rules!"?
    My tebya razdavim
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Spygate

I vote for 1. There is a difference between doing it during the game by eye then reviewing the signals after the fact on video including the down and distance and using that knowledge for the next games.

Comment

• harmonkoz
      Spartacus is a troll
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Since it appears obvious that most people don't know their asses from a hole in the ground when it comes to "Spygate" lets see if you guys have the courage to answer some questions.

First of all, is looking at the other team's sideline against the rules?

If an assistant coach comes to you as the HC and says "Coach, I've been watching the other team's DC and I've noticed that everytime he runs his hand trough his hair, it's a 2one, and when he drinks some gatoraid, it's man to man and when he scratches his ass, it's a blit2. Do you want me to tell our coaches and qb?", would you say...

1. "Great job son, we'll keep an eye on it", or....

2. "No, don't tell them and forget what you saw. It's against the intent of the rules!"?
      3. Forget what you saw, we don't cheat.

And the last word, sort of, from Don Shula.
      This comes from Jim Steeg, who for years ran the Super Bowl and big NFL events:“Back in the seventies, the Dolphins were going to play the Raiders in Oakland. They practiced at the Oakland Coliseum on Saturday, and in the locker room Larry Csonka found laying there the Raiders’ game plan for the next day’s game. He gave it to [Dolphins offensive line coach] Monte Clark to give to Don Shula, which Monte did.“The next day the Dolphins got beat by the Raiders. Csonka went to Monte and asked, ‘How did we lose? We had their game plan.’
      “Monte’s response: ‘I gave it to Don and he threw it in the trash. He said, ‘We do not cheat!’ ”
      The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• Spartacus
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
        I vote for 1. There is a difference between doing it during the game by eye then reviewing the signals after the fact on video including the down and distance and using that knowledge for the next games.
        So, "stealing" signs is okay as long as you don't use a video camera? How about a still camera? Pen and paper?
        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

So, "stealing" signs is okay as long as you don't use a video camera? How about a still camera? Pen and paper?
          Pretty sure pen and paper would be legal. I think they're rules against electronic devices on the sideline that are not provided by the NFL.

Comment

• Spartacus
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by harmonkoz View Post
            3. Forget what you saw, we don't cheat.
            So why not just let them hold up signs saying 2one, man to man, or blit2 and just make it against the rules for anyone on the opposing team to look at them?
            My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Do you dream of Tom Brady's schlong in your mouth each night or you just really enjoy defending people who get caught cheating?

Comment

• mightysimi
                Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                • Mar 2010

Yes stealing signs has always been a part of every sport. As long as it's done on the field without electronic aid, I have no problem with it.

Comment

• Spartacus
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                  Pretty sure pen and paper would be legal. I think they're rules against electronic devices on the sideline that are not provided by the NFL.
                  What's the difference? Pen and paper and video cameras are both "technology", ie recording devices.

What's the difference?

And when the Pats started doing this, video cameras had already been aroound for 20 years and using them weren't against the rules.

They only became against the rules when the other teams found out about it when Mangini, who had benefitted from it, complained to Goodell AFTER he became the Jets HC.
                  My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                    Yes stealing signs has always been a part of every sport. As long as it's done on the field without electronic aid, I have no problem with it.
                    Video cameras are just recording devices.

They can't do your thinking for you. It just gives you a data base.
                    My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Spartacus
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                      Do you dream of Tom Brady's schlong in your mouth each night or you just really enjoy defending people who get caught cheating?
                      Football fans...

My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

What's the difference? Pen and paper and video cameras are both "technology", ie recording devices.

What's the difference?
                        If there's no difference, why did New England use them?

And when the Pats started doing this, video cameras had already been aroound for 20 years and using them weren't against the rules.
                        My understanding was the placement of the cameras was illegal. You can film the 'all-22' view, but there are zoom and camera placement restrictions.

They only became against the rules when the other teams found out about it when Mangini, who had benefitted from it, complained to Goodell AFTER he became the Jets HC.
                        I'm not sure this is true. Link?

Comment

• harmonkoz
                          Spartacus is a troll
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
                          He's a dreamer.
                          The Dolphins Blow, the Jets Swallow, and the Patriots take it in the arse.

Comment

• Spartacus
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                            If there's no difference, why did New England use them?

My understanding was the placement of the cameras was illegal. You can film the 'all-22' view, but there are zoom and camera placement restrictions.

I'm not sure this is true. Link?
                            1. Because it was convenient. Modern era and all that...

2. The placements of cameras was part of the rule put in place to thwart what the pats had been doing for years.

3. It's true. Trust me or not, but I'm not going to look for a link.

Mangini, the pat's DC, was offered the HC job with the Jets. Belichek objected, as his position was ALWAYS that he would support any of his staff taking an HC job IN ANOTHER DIVISION, which is entirely reasonable.

Mangini took it anyway and then went to the commissioner to tell trade secrets.

That's how it started and it's why belichek hates Mangini, who was a protoge of Bill's...

Belichek MADE Mangini's career, then Mangini stabbed him in the back.
                            My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

1. Because it was convenient. Modern era and all that...
                              Convenience and ease of use is a distinct advantage and against the rules. They call that cheating, even on the playground.

2. The placements of cameras was part of the rule put in place to thwart what the pats had been doing for years.

3. It's true. Trust me or not, but I'm not going to look for a link.
                              If you're not going to support your argument, why would anyone believe it?

Comment

Working...
                              X